Titans stay in-house, tab Munchak as head coach

Mike Munchak Pic AP

The Tennessee Titans announced Monday that Mike Munchak will be their next head coach.

Munchak becomes just the second head coach in Titans history, succeeding Jeff Fisher. Fisher hired Munchak to his staff in 1997, when the franchise moved from Houston to Tennessee. Titans offensive linemen earned 10 Pro Bowl appearances during Munchak’s 14 years as line coach. They paved the way for Chris Johnson to rush for 0ver 2,000 yards in 2009.

Munchak, who turns 51 in March, beat out candidates such as Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger, and Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey.

It remains to be seen whether Munchak will be able to retain Heimerdinger. Current linebackers coach Dave McGinnis is loosely considered the favorite to coordinate Tennessee’s defense under Munchak.

Munchak will be officially introduced at a 4 p.m. ET press conference Monday.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Titans stay in-house, tab Munchak as head coach”
  1. ny82jy says: Feb 7, 2011 1:23 PM

He will he fired within 2 seasons

2. tombrookshire says: Feb 7, 2011 1:40 PM

All due respect, I’m skeptical.

3. AlanSaysYo says: Feb 7, 2011 1:47 PM

So Munchie is going to be one of the lowest paid coaches in the league and have quite possibly the worst quarterback situation in a league that is about to go into a lockout.

Good luck buddy.

And to real Titans fans: you have my sympathy. This is no way to compete in the AFC South.

4. chapnastier says: Feb 7, 2011 1:48 PM

If I may pose the question… why wasn’t there any complaining about Perry Fewell being a token interview? I mean the guy was only a coordinator for one year. Ray Sherman has way more experience yet he was labeled token. hmmm

5. txtuff says: Feb 7, 2011 1:49 PM

Don’t know how good he will be as a HC, and I don’t want the Titans to be great since I’m a Texans fan. But it is great to see him get a shot after growing up and watching him play as an Oiler.

6. titanup1918 says: Feb 7, 2011 1:50 PM

Great insight ny8….As a Titan fan I really don’t know what to project out of this. I know the players like and respect him. We’ll just have to see how he pans out as a head coach. I just hope he’s able to surround himself with quality position coaches.

7. feldman9000 says: Feb 7, 2011 2:00 PM

Halloween

8. quittsburghsquealers says: Feb 7, 2011 2:30 PM

They probably won’t do anything next season. But I won’t be surprised if Munchak turns this franchise’s fortunes around after that.

Munchak has been an excellent position coach for a long time. He won’t fail due to lack of hard work, that’s for sure. Apparently he is well known for being a very hard worker.

I think it all will depend on who else is on his coaching staff and who’s the team’s next QB…

9. dexterismyhero says: Feb 7, 2011 2:39 PM

Some guy is name Tab Munchak?

BTW: Steelers still lost.

10. knowerofallthings says: Feb 7, 2011 2:45 PM

He has earned a shot at HC; may take a while but I’m sure he will work as hard as anyone they could’ve hired.

11. ny82jy says: Feb 7, 2011 3:18 PM

titanup1918 says:
    Feb 7, 2011 1:50 PM

ny82jy says:
    Who is your qb gonna be? Right.. Enough said.

12. 44kyle says: Feb 7, 2011 3:36 PM

Last I saw him, he was about 2 yrs old in Scranton PA. I used to drive my father’s limo on funerals for his grandpa, John, a fantastic man, old Russian immigrant. It is so great to see what that little kid became.

13. titanup1918 says: Feb 7, 2011 3:40 PM

ny82jy says:
    Who is your qb gonna be? Right.. Enough said.

Ok even more of a reason to not fire him soon. How can you justify only giving a coach two years when you’re putting him in a position with no qb? And I’m pretty sure that you’re not the only one that realizes the team needs a qb. Let free agency and the draft take place first.

14. sterilizecromartie says: Feb 7, 2011 4:00 PM

I think he is going to be successful. For no other reason than he looks and sounds like he will a good head coach/good leader…. in contrast to guys like Andy Ried and Jim Caldwell.

15. ny82jy says: Feb 7, 2011 4:04 PM

titanup1918 says:

Just saying in the nfl coaches are on a short hook. If he doesnt win hes gonna get fired. Look at Josh Mcdaniels in Denver he didnt even make it two years. It happens

16. ny82jy says: Feb 7, 2011 4:06 PM

Eric Mangini lasted 2 years in Cleveland too. Or Cable in Oakland. These are just recently..

17. sterilizecromartie says: Feb 7, 2011 6:41 PM

@ ny82jy

You can’t use Josh McDaniels as an example. I’ve never seen a coach single-handedly set a winning franchise back so far in just two years. It’s almost like he was hired by a division rival to just completely ruin the Broncos. He turned Cutler, Marshall, Sheffler, and Hillis into Tebow, Thomas, Ayers, Rob Gronkowski, and Brady Quinn.

Not to mention he traded a 2010 1st round pick to Seattle (Earl Thomas) move up and get Alphonso Smith in 2009. The same Alphonso Smith that he traded to the Lions for a backup TE one year later. Also the same Alphonso Smith that got embarrased on Thanksgiving by Tom Brady.

18. serr8d says: Feb 7, 2011 9:38 PM

As a Titans PSL owner, I think we’ll have to give Mike Munchak a chance.

I listened to his press conference; it’s clear he’s highly motivated and has a great ‘fire in the belly’, something I can appreciate. Recall that he played for Joe Paterno at Penn State, and is a Hall of Fame lineman who played with (and later coached) Bruce Matthews (who might just show up here soon, as OL coach, because they were tight). This guy has the potential to be a helluva head coach. He won’t put up with whiners. PacMan would not have lasted a minute. A good thing Vince Young is gone, for his own sake; Munchak would’ve kicked his ass.

19. qb19 says: Feb 7, 2011 11:05 PM

Thrilled with the hire. No one ever heard of Mike Tomlin or Mike McCarthy prior to their being hired. Munch knows and loves the game and will have the Titans in the playoffs within three years.