Saints keep spinning Sean Payton’s relocation

Saints Seahawks Football

Earlier tonight, Rosenthal pointed out some additional comments from Saints coach Sean Payton regarding a relocation from New Orleans to Dallas that triggered rumors he’d soon be leaving the team.

Earlier in the day, the Saints saw fit to release statements from Payton, his boss, and the boss.

Said owner Tom Benson:  “Sean is our head coach.  Like we do with everyone in our organization, we support them when they need to make tough personal decisions.  Sean is making a decision in the best interest of his family and he needs our support and he will get it.  What I do know is that Sean is completely focused on bringing our team back to a championship.  We continue to move in that right direction and I look forward to 2011.”

Added G.M. Mickey Loomis:  “Sean and I have discussed his decision to move his family to Dallas and like with any personal decision, it is important that he does what is best for his family.  This is a personal family matter for Sean and his family and after discussing it with him, I support his decision.  We spoke of numerous other coaches that have done the same thing successfully.  I am confident that Sean will continue to be an excellent head coach for the Saints for many years to come and he remains steadfast to get our team back to the Super Bowl  and bring the Lombardi Trophy back to New Orleans.”

And, finally, Payton himself:  “When my wife and I relocated our family from Dallas, we had always dreamed of someday settling there.  We feel that now is the best time to do this.  It’s a decision that I’m sure many families have to confront, and I don’t know if there is any one right or wrong decision — just the best one you can make for your own family.”

We initially believed that there was no reason for Saints fans to get too bent out of shape about this development.  But it seems that Payton and the powers-that-be are spending too much time trying to persuade us all that the move means nothing.

Which makes us think that maybe the move means something.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Saints keep spinning Sean Payton’s relocation”
  1. db105 says: Feb 8, 2011 11:37 PM

Family comes first until he loses his job and the family has to deal with a different lifestyle that they were accustomed to while he was a head coach.

2. thenewenglandpatriots12 says: Feb 8, 2011 11:41 PM

Nobody cares about this story at all.

3. saintsfan1111 says: Feb 9, 2011 12:13 AM

Nothing is coming from the Dallas media machine, which means Jerrah’s peeps are tight lipped. You would think they would be fueling the fire, but they are not. I don’t think Sean has anything going with JJ. At least not now.

The Saints really had an orchestrated effort today via print, TV and radio. The interview of Payton sound like questions being read off cards. Not tough questions…no questions about future contracts….zilch. Mickey Loomis’ interview was a total flip-flop on his policy of having coaches live in the community. I wonder if Loomis will always have that policy now.

The WWL radio people battered Saints fans when they called BS on this whole nightmare. Yeah, they are the flagship station of the Saints. Something is up. No way the Saints would want to take on this PR nightmare. I think Shawn’s marriage is on the rocks.

4. whichiwhichwawa says: Feb 9, 2011 12:37 AM

who the BLEEP cares!

5. ilovefoolsball says: Feb 9, 2011 12:43 AM

The only reason they are spending so much time explaining is because they are in a small market team with a passionate fan base so every single move or idea is going to be closely scrutinized. I know you probably don’t understand that being in the MEGA CITY that you are in, but in small cities/big towns this is how things go.

They’re not explaining it for you, they’re explaining it for the million people that showed up for their championship parade last year.

6. rcunningham says: Feb 9, 2011 12:55 AM

Mike, I know your site is made to grasp at straws to generate hits, but it really does mean nothing.

7. catman72 says: Feb 9, 2011 1:09 AM

The Saints themselves were planning to relocate to Texas before Katrina hit, so how could they fault Payton for doing the same?

8. deepbacksidedig says: Feb 9, 2011 1:16 AM

Jones is going to pay some dude 100 million to please coach his team, make them not suck again before he dies, a loser. This is his fundamental fear. The driving force.
    Not to be a loser.

He already spent 1,500,000,000 on a building,
    170,000,000 per year on bum players.
    He got to watch the cheezits dance in His House.
    He caqnnot be happy. He has cash.

What is say, 10-15-20 mil per year for a man that will actually make it happen?

Chickendroppings, in comparison.
    looks like petty cash, in the scheme of things.

My only irrational, uncontrollable
    fear about BB leaving Boston is Jones’ stupid with this.

Please, Sean, sign the paper.
    Go west young man.
    West, to Texas.
    Become the highest paid guy in the biz, please.
    Please.

Then, I will only have Dan Snyder to worry about.
    But Spandexman goes well with the Danskins, for now.
    I hope.

9. demolition510 says: Feb 9, 2011 1:18 AM

Let the man live.

10. saintsfan1111 says: Feb 9, 2011 1:34 AM

Tony Romo is a far cry from Drew Brees. It ain’t even close.

11. deepbacksidedig says: Feb 9, 2011 2:03 AM

saintsfan1111 says:
    Feb 9, 2011 1:34 AM

Tony Romo is a far cry from Drew Brees. It ain’t even close.
    *************
    Which is why Jones will sign Manning too.
    Peyton’s Place.
    Dollars to doggies, Manning has a line item in his contract that says no franchise tag. Don’t know though,
    not sure anyone does?
    But i would bet agin’ it.

Manning gets as far from Brady as possible, nice cozy dome for thrusting it about.
    I have thought SF is better, really weak competition, but Dallas would have to be tempting.
    150 million reasons.
    Jones really believes it takes 3-4 big stars.
    Manning would be a major piece for him.

12. 1phd says: Feb 9, 2011 2:13 AM

This is most newsworthy because of all the places on the earth to choose from, his family dreamed of settling in DALLAS? Maui, yes, the South of France, I can relate, even New Orleans might be attractive if you like humidity, but DALLAS? It’s not that bad of place, don’t get me wrong, but with all the other choices, how many people actually dream of settling there?

13. darthvincent says: Feb 9, 2011 2:16 AM

Which makes us think that maybe the move means something.

Just come out and say it then… D I V O R C E

14. chazzmon says: Feb 9, 2011 2:24 AM

Translation – He and or his wife wants out! This will spin out of control and the minute they lose 2 in a row it’ll be because he isn’t around enough.

This may be his last season in the Big Easy. Too bad he’s a very good coach, but the fans will take it as an insult. If I were the owner I’d be scouting his replacement.

15. guspills says: Feb 9, 2011 2:37 AM

This story sounds like a perfect premise for Necessary Roughness 2. Am I right?!

16. bnwpnw says: Feb 9, 2011 3:07 AM

Here’s what doesn’t add up: It’s DALLAS.

Not San Fran or Seattle or San Diego or Miami or Honolulu or even New York or Chicago but DALLAS. Sean Payton has drawn a line in the sand so that he can move his family to DALLAS.

I used to think he was one of the sharper ones too. No more. Sad, really.

17. saintsfansince87 says: Feb 9, 2011 3:08 AM

[quote]ilovefoolsball says: Feb 9, 2011 12:43 AM

The only reason they are spending so much time explaining is because they are in a small market team with a passionate fan base so every single move or idea is going to be closely scrutinized. [/quote]

spot on….saints fans are notorious for over reacting

18. nokoolaidcowboy says: Feb 9, 2011 6:54 AM

Ok, I’ll be the one…

deepbacksidedig, huh?

19. chapnastier says: Feb 9, 2011 7:13 AM

Is this how this entire off season is going to be? With no Brett Favre I suppose some story that means nothing needs to take up his 15 stories a day. Between this and the snow in Dallas it is going to be a rough off season for us!

20. tombrookshire says: Feb 9, 2011 7:14 AM

Bill Cowher moved his family to NC, because his wife grew up there. There were no football implications as we look back on it now. So, what’s wrong with the boss wanting to start their life in Dallas now? And, why the speculation that Payton is going to this team or that? Many players and coaches don’t live in city where they work, so why is the Big Easy in such a twist over this. You invented the chill-out, Nola, so get wit it.

21. thehouseofho says: Feb 9, 2011 7:46 AM

bnwpnw says: Feb 9, 2011 3:07 AM

Here’s what doesn’t add up: It’s DALLAS.

I used to think he was one of the sharper ones too. No more. Sad, really.
    =================================
    He’s not moving to Dallas, but Westlake – a very high end suburb of Dallas. Aside from being in a fairly exclusive area (less than 1000 people, median income of 250,000), low poverty rate (2%), good schools (including the prestigious Westlake academy) and probably that the friends his children made when he lived in the area the first time are still there, why wouldn’t he want to have his family live there?

22. Caldon says: Feb 9, 2011 7:59 AM

We spoke of numerous other coaches that have done the same thing successfully.
    —————
    This is actually what leaps out at me as odd about the situation because this is actually the opposite of what normally happens, unlike what they are trying to spin here.

Generally, a split occurs because the coach/family is settled in one area, the coach gets a job offer in another and he moves/commutes while the family stays put.

In this case, the family is settled in the current location and the family is moving while the coach stays in place.

So, this is not like all the other examples of coaches. That is why it looks so fishy on the outside.

End of the day, it doesn’t really matter and I don’t care – it is just one of those things that strikes you as odd and doesn’t seem to be the whole truth.

23. jc1958coo says: Feb 9, 2011 9:01 AM

just come out and say it,new orleans has too much crime and i don’t want my kids there!! that is why i want to work for jerry in 2 yrs. lol!!

24. abninf says: Feb 9, 2011 9:02 AM

1phd says: Feb 9, 2011 2:13 AM

——————————————————

Well more people from around the country are moving here than anywhere else, so I guess a few dream of settling here.

25. dkeyser says: Feb 9, 2011 9:11 AM

Perhaps the man just likes living in Dallas better..He lived there for a few years and has lived in NOLA for a few years, and he made a decision to move back.. the only reason this is a “story” is because the media continues to beat the dead horse

26. scra22 says: Feb 9, 2011 9:11 AM

“ilovefoolsball says:
    Feb 9, 2011 12:43 AM
    The only reason they are spending so much time explaining is because they are in a small market team with a passionate fan base so every single move or idea is going to be closely scrutinized.”
    =========

Exactly. The fans were having a meltdown, which was reflected in all of the media coverage, so the Saints were forced to make statements; not just Payton, but Benson/Loomis, because the Times-Pic openly speculated that Benson couldn’t be happy about it and wondered why Loomis was allowing Payton to make the move when he wouldn’t allow him to keep a house in Dallas when he first took the Saints job.

It would have been more telling if the Saints had remained silent, or had released some tight, one-line statement which assured everyone of nothing.

And this headline says “keep spinning,” but to my knowledge these statements, which were all released at the same time, are the only formal thing the Saints have done to address the situation. You can’t “keep” doing something when you’ve only done it once.

27. scra22 says: Feb 9, 2011 9:14 AM

Caldon says:
    ======

Payton said in his book that he wanted to do this from the start, keeping his family in Dallas and commuting, but because the team was rebuilding after Katrina, the GM told him that it wasn’t a good idea and that he didn’t approve.

Now that it’s 5 years later, I’m assuming Payton has earned the leverage to go ahead and do what he originally wanted to do.

28. mikejonesforum says: Feb 9, 2011 9:39 AM

Sean Payton’s coaching life span will last as long as Drew Brees’ career as QB in the NFL.

And that’s all there is to this story!

29. salmen76 says: Feb 9, 2011 11:52 AM

Something is going on here my fellow Saints fans. Where there is smoke there is FIRE. I believe the Paytons are fed up with New Orleans or the Saints or maybe Mandeville or maybe all 3. They are literally pulling their kids out of school in the middle of the school year. Responsible parents never do that unless the situation is completely unavoidable like a military assignment for example. Payton ain’t in the military. And he and his famoly can live where ever they want to. But that doesn’t mean i have to like it. Payton was in bed with Jones before (assistant coach for the cowgirls). Since then Payton wins a title with the Saints. But the cowgirls ain’t won squat since Payton left the cowgirls. In fact the Saints have beaten the cowgirls 2 out of 3 times since then. And now Payton pulls this mess. Know this. Payton will not be the Saints coach beyond the 2 years he has on his contract. So basically he’s made himself a lameduck coach for the next 2 years. I hate Texas. I hate the Cowgirls. I hate Jerry Jones. Anybody who moves away from the great state of Louisiana to live in Texas needs their head examined. I’d rather live right smack dab in the middle of Afganastan than live in Texas. Just ain’t right. Geaux Saints!

30. gamustangdude says: Feb 9, 2011 1:23 PM

Finally Peyton sees the light at the end. The losses to Arizona, Cleveland, and Seattle helped pave the way for a soon to be Peyton Exit. I don’t blame him, seeing Brees run around like a chicken with it’s head cut off during that playoff plunder. I don’t blame Peyton for wanting to get as far away from NO as possible. Saints won 1 super bowl and are done, Peyton sees that, that’s why he’s preparing for the exit.

GO BUCKS!!!

31. 504in860 says: Feb 9, 2011 2:31 PM

gamustangdude says:
    Feb 9, 2011 1:23 PM

GO BUCKS!!!
    ————————————————–

And what has Tampa done since winning the Super Bowl years ago?

When you say “GO BUCKS” are you talking about the Milwaukee Bucks by any chance?

32. scra22 says: Feb 9, 2011 3:35 PM

gamustangdude says:
    Feb 9, 2011 1:23 PM

GO BUCKS!!!

====

Peyton = Payton, it’s not that hard.

If you had even watched the Saints/Seahawks game, you’d know that Brees played a great game, in fact, he had a 95 passer rating. So this “Brees running around like a chicken” in the playoffs statement makes zero sense.

33. rlsmit says: Feb 9, 2011 3:59 PM

Ha Ha Ha Saints Fans.

1. @ scra22

Sorry for not spelling you’re coaches name Correctly. I deserve all that i get.

2. @504in860

Besides beat The Saints the last time we played them nothing (however that’s enough for me and this argument). I mean what have the Saints done since they won the super Bowl? That’s right NOTHING!!

34. scra22 says: Feb 9, 2011 4:58 PM

rlsmit says:
    Feb 9, 2011 3:59 PM
    ====

So you’re rlsmit and gamustangdude? Why do you have two names?

35. 504in860 says: Feb 9, 2011 5:07 PM

———————————————-

Excited about a meaningless win I see. Bucs will not make the playoffs next season, let alone sell out any home games (again).

36. 504in860 says: Feb 9, 2011 5:45 PM

So you’re rlsmit and gamustangdude? Why do you have two names?
    ———————————————–

LMAO busted. I guess he forgot to switch names. What a loser.

37. gamustangdude says: Feb 10, 2011 9:50 AM

@504in860

Ok calm down Baby Huey

However I pretty much think you using area codes as user names establishes your loser status just a bit more.

Now Since your Saints are used to losing I say that would make them/you losers.

@scra22

i’ve been on here for a decent amount of time I comment on both the CFT and PFT sites. After the Site updated you had to recreate your account, then sometime later you didn’t have to. Thus I have two screen names. It doesn’t change that fact that I’m right though does it? Need help focusing on the topic? I’ll posit it again

Ha Ha Ha Saints Fans.

1. @ scra22

Sorry for not spelling you’re coaches name Correctly. I deserve all that i get.

2. @504in860

WHO WHO DAT?
    Arizona, Baltimore, Cleveland, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Atlanta Dat!!!!

38. 504in860 says: Feb 10, 2011 2:33 PM

218-329 (.399)

16-22

39. gamustangdude says: Feb 10, 2011 4:12 PM

504in860 says:

218-329 (.399)
    _________________________________

When I want your moms waist size I’ll ask for it. (I haven’t yet)

________________________________

16-22 is incorrect, the actual score of the last Tampa Bay and Saints game 23-13 not 16-22.

40. 504in860 says: Feb 10, 2011 4:29 PM

Mom jokes that don’t make any sense. You have the mental capacity of an 11 year old I see.

But to clarify, 16-22 is your pathetic franchise’s record against the Saints.

41. gamustangdude says: Feb 10, 2011 5:00 PM

You’re still getting it wrong the score of the last Saints and Tampa Bay game was 23-13. However, since you like records try 37-44, Saints record Vs the Falcons. Eat that one.

42. 504in860 says: Feb 10, 2011 5:06 PM

Now you’re jumping on the FalCONS bandwagon. That’s even funnier. Now tell me Aintlanta’s Super Bowl record.

43. gamustangdude says: Feb 10, 2011 5:23 PM

Ok, It’s funny how some guys live thier lives through a team they never played on or never will. When YOU win a super bowl then you can talk. Until then doesn’t really matter? Was it you out there? Atlanta is 0-1 in Super Bowls. However 44-37 versus the Saints.

44. gamustangdude says: Feb 10, 2011 5:28 PM

Saints fans are so focused on the past, what happend over a year ago. Move on. The NFL has, hell the have a new World champion. What have the Saints done recently besides lose to the Falcons, Bucs, Ravens, Cards, and Browns? Saints are the Third best team in the NFC south right now. That fits. I mean, compare your records against everyone else in the NFC South

37-44 Vs the Falcons

15-17 vs the Panthers

22-16 vs the Bucs (GOT ONE THERE!!)

45. gamustangdude says: Feb 10, 2011 5:51 PM

286 – 383 (.428)

Geaux Saints!!

LMAO

46. 504in860 says: Feb 10, 2011 5:52 PM

2 of those teams have zero Super Bowl wins and we OWN the other. Thanks for playing.

47. 504in860 says: Feb 10, 2011 5:54 PM

You’re talking like your team…or is it TEAMS now…has done something recently. Maybe if you showed this passion in real life, the Bucs would sell out some home games.

48. 504in860 says: Feb 10, 2011 6:05 PM

.428 > .399

49. gamustangdude says: Feb 10, 2011 7:00 PM

That’s it? That’s your logic? You have a better Losing record? That’s like two Fat People arguing over who’s the skinniest. Hey guess what, They are both fat. Just like EVERY Team in the NFC SOUTH has a losing record. You might think that winning a super bowl proves you are the better Franchise over all, it doesn’t. It just means you were the Best team THAT YEAR. Not EVER, but THAT YEAR. Congrats on your Super Bowl, your team still has a losing record. .428 overall and versus the Falcons. So I guess that would mean that the Falcons have OWNED the Saints, Right?

Now That’s Reality.

504 education at its best I see

50. 504in860 says: Feb 10, 2011 7:13 PM

So…you’re both a Falcons and Bucs fan.

Dazed and confused I see.