Sean Payton says he won’t “commute” from Dallas

Sean Payton, Jason Garrett

Saints coach Sean Payton has lived in New Orleans long enough to know that news that he was moving his family out of town to Dallas wasn’t going to go over well.

In an interview on WWL radio Tuesday, Payton says he understands, but fans shouldn’t worry because he’ll be spending more time at the team facility during the season, not less.

“Really, it’s not a thing where you commute day to day,” Payton explained via Mike Triplette of New Orleans Times-Picayune. “Your family comes in for the weekends when you’re playing games.  I’ll get back to Dallas on the weekends in the offseason. We have our time as a family during the summer down at the beach.”

Payton basically explained his family decided that his kids should go to high school in Dallas and that he needed to “win more games” at home.   (Translation: The wife won this round.)  He repeated he’ll have more time at the office in the season.   (Translation: With family out of town, the minimal amount of time spent with them during the week will decrease.)

The most interesting thing Payton said on Monday was about his future as a coach.

“My job is to coach this team. And I’m under contract for two more years coaching this team.  And I know this, I hope when I’m finished coaching, this is my last spot coaching. And honestly, I don’t see myself coaching 10, 15 more years,” Payton said. “You know, my son is dying for me to be at practice, and my daughter is dying for me to be at more of her events.

“It’s hard to explain the pull that this job and this career has.  We knew going in and I knew going in how demanding it can be.  And when you win a Super Bowl those demands can get even tougher.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Sean Payton says he won’t “commute” from Dallas”
  1. hobartbaker says: Feb 8, 2011 8:18 PM

The price you pay for moving to the suburbs.

2. jc1958coo says: Feb 8, 2011 8:18 PM

won ‘t have to when he coaches the cowboys! let the rumors begin!

3. raider316 says: Feb 8, 2011 8:18 PM

Good for him. You can’t make up time with your kids. Once they are grown they’re grown and you’ve missed sharing their childhood experiences.

4. wte1 says: Feb 8, 2011 8:23 PM

Translation: I don’t want to be sitting on my rooftop after the next hurricane.

5. turbodog1027 says: Feb 8, 2011 8:30 PM

I bet Jason Garret has the onset of Irritable Bowel Syndrome

6. 504in860 says: Feb 8, 2011 8:33 PM

I’m a lifelong Saints fan, and this doesn’t bother me and all. As usual, things are overblown by the media.

Sidenote: I saw that some betting outlets have the Cowboys as 8-1 odds to win the Super Bowl next season. Really????

7. ilovefoolsball says: Feb 8, 2011 8:52 PM

You’re right, he has could early onset Parcells Disease, whatever that is.

8. mattsffrd says: Feb 8, 2011 8:56 PM

happy wife = happy life

9. duffer58 says: Feb 8, 2011 8:58 PM

Yes he will leave saints in 2 years and then be another lousy analsyt on Espn.

10. liltifer says: Feb 8, 2011 9:02 PM

“Call us crazy, but it sounds like Payton has could early onset Parcells Disease.”

Ok, I’ll call you crazy, but it’s if you think that makes sense..

11. saintsfan1111 says: Feb 8, 2011 9:07 PM

Yeah, he’s walking when his contract is done. It may not be the boys, but he will have his pick. This sucks!

12. citizenstrange says: Feb 8, 2011 9:12 PM

He’s kind of all that and a bag of chips for a guy who wouldn’t have even been to the Super Bowl last year except for an epic crap the bed by the ol’ gunslinger.

13. nolajoe says: Feb 8, 2011 9:17 PM

As a New Orleanian and proud member of the Who Dat Nation, I just want to say thanks for talking about this and putting us at ease, Coach. Best of luck to you and your family.

14. tooz56 says: Feb 8, 2011 9:18 PM

Selfish, and clueless Sean Payton. Doesn’t this guy love his kids ? They should come FIRST ! Yes, I get it, he has a good, VERY well paying job, but would he rather see Brees score another TD, or his son score a TD in HS ? He is an ass

15. profootballwalk says: Feb 8, 2011 9:20 PM

Parcells Disease? You mean screwing up the Dolphins and then taking the money and running?

16. sbs0311 says: Feb 8, 2011 9:24 PM

“Call us crazy, but it sounds like Payton could have early onset Parcells Disease.”

I’m sorry, call me over-sensitive. Tell me I’m making a big deal out of nothing.

But, as someone who has seen Alzheimer’s hit right at home in my family, this line is not funny or playful or witty in the least.

Poor form. VERY poor form.

17. pappysarcasm says: Feb 8, 2011 9:26 PM

Same story we got from Cower. Payton will finish his contract and head to ESPN…about that time Gruden will land as HC somewhere! ..as the NFL turns LOL

18. 504in860 says: Feb 8, 2011 9:33 PM

wte1 says:
    Feb 8, 2011 8:23 PM
    Translation: I don’t want to be sitting on my rooftop after the next hurricane.
    —————————————

When…40 years from now?

19. bigbluefan1 says: Feb 8, 2011 9:35 PM

Good for him what is enough money anyway he is getting 3 mil from the saints the the ad money he is fat and fine cash wise

He is making great cash he can walk away for a few years watch his son and daughter grow up and come back to the game.

If Andy Reid had done this his kids may have jobs not cells

20. tombrookshire says: Feb 8, 2011 10:01 PM

Sounds like two more and out for Payton. Hope he has enough money or he’ll be sellin insurance.

21. istateyourname says: Feb 8, 2011 10:19 PM

Divorce. Leave him alone.

22. jvw1982 says: Feb 8, 2011 10:35 PM

Sounds like a divorce on he horizon……

By the way, the Dolphins were screwed up long before Parcels got there…….

23. stampnhawk says: Feb 8, 2011 10:50 PM

With Brees looking for an extension, maybe with this news he only wants a one year extension, and both him and Payton can share the U-Haul expense as they head west together to the frozen tundra of North Texas.

By that time Romo will finally no longer be on the cover of “People” and Jerrah will have his new GM and QB.

24. abninf says: Feb 8, 2011 10:56 PM

“You know, my son is dying for me to be at practice, and my daughter is dying for me to be at more of her events.”
    ————————————————-

In other words, he wants to coach America’s Team.

25. rushbacker says: Feb 8, 2011 11:02 PM

___________

Won’t somebody PLEASE think of the children??!

26. db105 says: Feb 8, 2011 11:13 PM

No win situation. Family comes first until he loses his job and the family has to deal with a different lifestyle that they were accustomed to while he was a head coach.

27. mataug says: Feb 8, 2011 11:20 PM

Are high schools in Texas very good ? I don’t know because I’m an immigrant who has been here in for three years but this is the third case(two relatives) that I hear of somebody shifting to Texas with their kids for the high school there ?
    When I say good – I guess acads wise because Asian parents aren’t exactly interested in high school sports.

28. my84cj7 says: Feb 9, 2011 1:57 AM

Why so much grief for commuting? The Giants and Jets coaches/players have to do this also…..oh wait, my bad, they all work and live in NJ.

29. chazzmon says: Feb 9, 2011 2:22 AM

Translation – He and or his wife wants out! This will spin out of control and the minute they lose 2 in a row it’ll be because he isn’t around enough. This may be his last season in the Big Easy. Too bad he’s a very good coach, but the fans will take it as an insult. If I were the owner I’d be scouting his replacement.

30. sjayski says: Feb 9, 2011 6:29 AM

Maybe Vick will let him borrow the key to the city?

31. wsb937 says: Feb 9, 2011 7:24 AM

So he wants to live in Dallas. So what?

32. sbs0311 says: Feb 9, 2011 8:34 AM

49 “thumbs down” for my comment? Let’s see how some of you react if, God forbid, someone in your family is utterly destroyed by early onset Alzheimer’s. You wouldn’t take such comments fleetingly either.

33. jc1958coo says: Feb 9, 2011 8:45 AM

abninf : we don’t need payton in titletown USA that is the real americas team!! next year repeat GREEN & GOLD !!!

34. ceschatz says: Feb 9, 2011 9:26 AM

sbs0311 says:

_______________________________

Maybe its because Alzheimer’s was never mentioned in this article and you took that comment completely out of context. I am sorry for what you had to go through and the struggles that might have put on your family but referring to “Parcells Disease” has nothing to do with Alzheimer’s. Do you not know who Parcells is?

35. gb4689 says: Feb 9, 2011 3:34 PM

Ehh if he leaves screwem then I was born and raised in nola and we been through coaches like tissue paper that will give Greg willams a chance at a head coaching job plus that would be a huge boost to the saints D.
    if Payton wants to coach a failing has been franchise like the cowgirls that’s his mistake and cross to bear…
    Why are the girls called Americas team anyway????
    Why let a has been team rep our country???
    In all honesty it should be the patriots!
    The name screams USA and they a dominate team in the NFL just like the USA is a dominate country!
    EF the cowgirls

36. jesuscakes says: Feb 9, 2011 7:03 PM

Way to delete my comment for calling you out for a horrible typo.

37. sbs0311 says: Feb 10, 2011 7:59 PM

cdschatz, read the ENTIRE phrase. “early onset”

Early onset _______’s disease.

You asks someone to fill in that blank 100 times, and 99 times they’ll say Alzheimer’s.

Please.