Bills announce uniform changes without revealing uniform changes

Billsunis

The playoff drought lives on in Buffalo, but the  Bills’ uniform as we know it is about to become extinct.  The Bills announced Wednesday they will change their uniform prior to the 2011 season.

“The new uniforms will incorporate the team’s storied history while keeping the team’s signature charging buffalo logo,” the team said in a statement Wednesday.

The team last changed uniforms in 2002.   Back then, Drew Bledsoe was ready to usher in a new era of Bills football.   They haven’t reached the playoffs since.

Running back Fred Jackson saw the uniforms and likes them.

“I was sworn to secrecy not to reveal any details! Haha!” he wrote on Twitter.   “I’ll jus say this!! I can’t wait to wear em!!”

We know this much: They won’t look like this.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
24 Responses to “Bills announce uniform changes without revealing uniform changes”
  1. cletusvandam says: Feb 9, 2011 4:08 PM

this is the kind of thing teams that don’t have to worry about playoff games, signing good coaches, or free agents do with their time.

2. shackdelrio says: Feb 9, 2011 4:13 PM

Has to be the white helmet with the blue jersey. One of the best looks in the NFL.

3. hobartbaker says: Feb 9, 2011 4:17 PM

The artist’s rendering also provided the expected number of wins in the upcoming season.

4. beastofeden says: Feb 9, 2011 4:20 PM

Sounds like they have their responsibilities in order over in South Toronto.

5. johnabis says: Feb 9, 2011 4:25 PM

I don’t understand why they just wouldn’t wait until 2012 when Nike takes over as there will still probably be some minor changes at that point anyway.

6. j0esixpack says: Feb 9, 2011 4:26 PM

Change “Buffalo” to “Los Angeles” on the uniform and we may have a winner

7. steelerfan12 says: Feb 9, 2011 4:31 PM

I’m 37 years old. Therefore, when I hear “Buffalo Bills,” I think of the team that made the the Super Bowl four straight years when I was in high school and college.

I’m not from Buffalo and not a Bills fan. I’m from PA and a Steelers fan. However, the Bills really have nothing to lose here. Why not go back to the uniforms from the early 90s with red helmets, blue jerseys, white pants, etc.? I have truly hated the Bills’ uniforms recently. Too many colors, the obnoxious shoulder-pad-different-color-from-rest-of-jersey, etc.

Bills, go back to your glory days! Back to the Jim Kelly-Thurman Thomas-Bruce Smith uniforms! What do you have to lost?

8. steelerfan12 says: Feb 9, 2011 4:34 PM

While I’m at it, why not have the Broncos go back to the old “Orange Crush” uniforms? That cyberhorse is awful.

And the Patriots should go back to the old “patriot guy hiking the ball” unis as well.

The new stuff basically sucks. I love the Thanksgiving games for the throwbacks alone.

9. deebo92 says: Feb 9, 2011 4:36 PM

Buffalo finally has something to look forward to.

10. steelerfan12 says: Feb 9, 2011 4:37 PM

What do you have to “lose,” not “lost.” Sorry.

11. realitypolice says: Feb 9, 2011 4:39 PM

cletusvandam says:
    Feb 9, 2011 4:08 PM
    =======================

That would be a great point except for the fact that two of the most notable uniform changes of the last 15 years were the Broncos and the Rams- both of whom radically changed their uniforms immediately after winning the Super Bowl.

The Patriots also made more subtle changes after winning their first SB.

12. FoozieGrooler says: Feb 9, 2011 4:51 PM

OK but, what’s with the big “L” on the front of the helmets?

13. steelergold says: Feb 9, 2011 4:58 PM

You can change the wrapper but what’s inside is still the same.

14. joetoronto says: Feb 9, 2011 5:13 PM

“Storied history”?

I’m not hatin, I’m just sayin.

15. androk23 says: Feb 9, 2011 5:29 PM

About time. Bills fans have been clamoring for new uniforms for a few years now. These current uniforms have reeked of failure.

I’m excited for the new design. Hoping it’s the white helmet with the Charging Buffalo.

16. freedomispopular says: Feb 9, 2011 5:45 PM

I would have to agree that I liked their old uniforms better.

17. broncorob says: Feb 9, 2011 6:05 PM

The Broncos changed their uniforms BEFORE the 1997 season and won the Super Bowl that year and the next so it was a good omen for the Broncos but I still prefer the old uniforms they wore for most of John Elway’s career though but at least they are going to start wearing the orange jerseys for most of the home games starting in 2012.

18. clownburger says: Feb 9, 2011 6:09 PM

GOOD. The current uniforms are part of the stupid Black or Dark Jersey trend that have made so many uniforms look pathetically awful.

Hopefully they’ll go back to a lighter shade of blue and discard that stupid piping all together.

19. jpmelon says: Feb 9, 2011 6:10 PM

There should be plenty of excitment for the next years team…..a 3rd overall pick, new jerseys, finally a serviceable receivers corps, decent o-line…..hell, I even like Fitzpatrick. No reason to hate on the Bills after the season they put in. People who actually watched the games instead of just reading the scores know what I am talking about.

20. realitypolice says: Feb 9, 2011 6:27 PM

@broncorob:

You’re right, I’m wrong. My bad. But that actually reinforces my point because I was responding to cletusvandam’s point that only teams that don’t have to worry about playoffs change their uniforms.

In 1996, the Broncos were 13-3, so obviously they had other things to worry about but still found the time to change their uniforms.

21. Randall Jenkins says: Feb 9, 2011 6:39 PM

I wonder if they know it’s actually a charging Bison on their helmets…

22. citizenstrange says: Feb 9, 2011 7:04 PM

Bills announce uniform changes without revealing uniform changes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That’s how they get you!

23. NoHomeTeam says: Feb 9, 2011 7:34 PM

I’ll guess that the red is going to brighten up a bit (Pantone 485) and become a much larger portion of the overall color scheme. There will be a lot more white in the overall design, even for the Home uniforms. The blue will revert to the shade used in the 60’s and 70’s “to incorporate the team’s storied history,” but its use will be limited to piping and other small accents.

See where I’m going, here?

24. no1billsfan says: Feb 10, 2011 11:28 AM

I think Buddy and Chan have their priorities straight. They spent 2010 evaluating & cleaning out the roster and now they will dispose of the hideous new school uni’s. With the added defensive coaching assistance of Dave Wannstedt, a strong draft, and some moves in FA (provided the CBA gets done) they just may be on to something better than the 7-9 days of Dick Jauron. Still need a change of ownership, though (Jim Kelly & his advocates).