DeSean Jackson steps up to stop bullying

DeSean Jackson AP

Last week, Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson and two teammates, Jamaal Jackson and Todd Herremans, made a surprise visit to The View, where 13-year-old Nadin Khoury was telling his story of being viciously bullied by other kids at his school.

If you haven’t seen it, you need to see it.

And then you need to see Jackson’s first visit to PFT Live, during which he talked about the experience.  He said that he remains in touch with Khoury, and that Jackson plans to start a foundation aimed at addressing the problem of youth bullying.

It’s a great story, and it’s a great step for Jackson as he enters the prime of a very promising NFL career.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
31 Responses to “DeSean Jackson steps up to stop bullying”
  1. ButkisMyDick says: Feb 10, 2011 6:16 PM

Awesome story. Much respect to DeSean.

2. greggyd717 says: Feb 10, 2011 6:17 PM

Great story showing the rest of the football world the good side of a player who gets an awful rap.

3. gbfanforever says: Feb 10, 2011 6:40 PM

Cool, I dislike him less now ;)

4. skoobyfl says: Feb 10, 2011 6:47 PM

He’s doing it right, now be a foster father to needy kids.

5. ilovefoolsball says: Feb 10, 2011 6:50 PM

Good job DeSean, a lot of kids are bullied harshly these days. I know it’s been an issue for as long as there have been kids (forever), but with the internet things can get even more out of hand.

6. chrisbermansdoublechin says: Feb 10, 2011 6:50 PM

way to go DeSean

7. scottpavek says: Feb 10, 2011 6:52 PM

classy.

8. nssmuckers says: Feb 10, 2011 7:11 PM

DeSean is a good dude, for some reason I’ve always thought that in spite of everyone saying otherwise.

9. giablommi says: Feb 10, 2011 7:16 PM

Maybe I’m just too cynical, but this whole PFT Live concept smells like an ESPN-esque effort to nuzzle up to certain athletes at the expense of journalistic integrity.

I say this because of your reference of his “first” visit to PFT Live(?) How presumtuous of you. I’m willing to wager that we won’t hear another another ill word spoken of Desean Jackson in the near future to ensure there will be a second visit, no?

10. raynman49 says: Feb 10, 2011 7:21 PM

What a waste of time and money. Does anyone believe the ones that are doing the bullying are doing anything but laughing at this and all those tv commercials?

11. jw731 says: Feb 10, 2011 7:23 PM

Nice job Desean….Making a positive difference, no matter the size,scope or nature in a child’s life, deserves props….

12. pftareraiderhaters says: Feb 10, 2011 7:25 PM

thumbs up to Desean, way to represent Cal, and the bay.

13. j0esixpack says: Feb 10, 2011 7:32 PM

I can’t decide if the NFL sending the message that Offensive Linemen are prepared to rough up bullies is a good or bad thing…

… that the answer to violence is violence

I think they might want to refine that message a bit and maybe DeSean’s foundation can promote better alternatives

Yet at the end of the day, reminding bullies that there’s always someone bigger than them isn’t really such a bad thing for all bullies to keep in mind

14. vtboarder says: Feb 10, 2011 7:33 PM

Geigh

15. natelan says: Feb 10, 2011 7:50 PM

I heard DeSean Jackson might be gay, not that there’s anything wrong with that, just sayin’…

16. backindasaddle says: Feb 10, 2011 8:09 PM

The kid seems like a great kid. DeSean will be nothing but a bad influence on him. DeSean is just using the issue to get positive media for himself. He’s a certified turd at his core. Kid, don’t be fooled by DeSean…he just using you to bolster his own image.

17. purplescar says: Feb 10, 2011 8:21 PM

Without a doubt one of the classiest, stand up actions I’ve ever seen from a celebrity or athlete. Bravo Mr. Jackson.

18. rtl1984 says: Feb 10, 2011 8:27 PM

It’s nice to see a class act like this. I was bullied when I was a kid, nice to see an NFL player step up.

19. danwhitmer says: Feb 10, 2011 8:30 PM

I’m not an Eagles fan but 2 thumbs up for Mr. Jackson! We need more like him. Not just starting something to say you did it, but to hear the story and feel for the situation and WANT to make a change!!!

20. fonetiklee says: Feb 10, 2011 8:54 PM

The rest of the NFC East has asked Mr. Jackson to stop being a hypocrite, and to finally stop bullying their secondaries.

21. db105 says: Feb 10, 2011 8:56 PM

This coming from a guy that acts like a jackass on the field.

22. norcaleagles says: Feb 10, 2011 9:58 PM

DB105, You say Desean acts like a jackass on the field??? Man, almost every single defensive player in the league runs 15 yards away from the play to single themselves out so everyone can see who they are and does some sort of celebration after something as small as a tackle for loss or a sack. Whats wrong with a little TD celebration? And the cowboys players were running their mouths about Desean after the two ’09 losses so his little “celebration” vs the cowboys was well deserved in my opinion.

23. baltimoret says: Feb 10, 2011 10:36 PM

You all can argue about his motivation for getting involved, but who cares? The point is that he DID get involved…while others do nothing.

He made a kid who has been harassed and bullied, feel like a king for once. How can you find fault in that?

24. dansnyder says: Feb 10, 2011 10:46 PM

Laron Landry realizes this is a direct shot at him. Jackson tired of being bullied and always having to run away.

25. wiscoboy says: Feb 10, 2011 10:51 PM

yawn.

26. db105 says: Feb 11, 2011 4:27 AM

norcaleagles says:
    Feb 10, 2011 9:58 PM
    ————————————————–
    DJ’s moronic celebrations and showboating speaks for itself.

27. dabears2485 says: Feb 11, 2011 4:48 AM

I was bullied as a kid, even by my own brother. I even bullied other kids, not realizing how mean it actually was. But I have never seen or known anyone who has experienced the type of excessive and prolonged treatment that boy received in that video. It takes a special type of heartless bastard to subject another kid to that, and I sincerely hope they get what they deserve one day. Karma hurts worse in the end than any punishment they could receive today.

And what’s all this “bad rap” for DeSean Jackson talk? I haven’t heard much negative about him except that he’s pretty arrogant in his interviews and, especially, on the field. But there doesn’t seem to be many star receivers out there who aren’t completely full of themselves. It seems to go hand-in-hand with playing the position – a special kind of confidence needed to brave the middle of the field with players like Troy Polamalu roaming around. Maybe if he changed his name to something ridiculously stupid and appeared on Dancing With The Stars people wouldn’t criticize it so much, eh? I may not love his style of self-promotion, but I certainly love watching him play football. I hope he really does follow through with helping kids out.

28. oldbyrd says: Feb 11, 2011 10:23 AM

I don’t care what he is. He can flat out play. I think it was a very cool thing to do for that kid. Hats off to Desean and The Eagles

29. cwt123 says: Feb 11, 2011 10:31 AM

After watching that, I don’t care what show-boating nonsense DeSean Jackson pulls on the field.

That was an incredible act of kindness by the Eagles players that will forever change that young boy’s life.

30. norcaleagles says: Feb 11, 2011 1:07 PM

DANSNYDER, LOL, how has Landry been bullying Jackson?? The redskins have been Deseans punching bag during his entire career. And go back to Deseans TD on the 1st play of the game in the teams 2010 2nd meeting. I swear it looks as if Laron was crying. His eyes look red and watery after he gets up from taking that face plant after Desean burned him. Honest. Go to youtube and check it out.lol

31. norcaleagles says: Feb 11, 2011 1:11 PM

DB105, I think Deseans game speaks for itself. 2 consecutive Pro-Bowls speaks for itself. All of these hating remarks also speak for themselves.