Mayock on Newton: “I really didn’t need to see the workout”

Mike Mayock Pic Getty Images

Mike Mayock is the NFL Network’s featured draft analyst, but he was not in attendance for Thursday’s Cam Newton “Media Day.” NFLN sent Bucky Brooks instead.

So why wasn’t Mayock in San Diego?

“I really didn’t need to see the workout, nor do I need to hear about the workout. … I’ve watched five of (Newton’s) game tapes,” Mayock explained. “He’s got a classic overhand delivery, he’s got a big arm. You and I in gym shorts at the local high school can throw pretty accurately, so I would guarantee you (Newton) would look great in a pair of gym shorts.

“…But I would also (offer) one cautionary note, and that is the best Pro Day for a quarterback I ever attended was JaMarcus Russell. That same day, even though I admitted it was the best Pro Day I ever saw, I also said I wouldn’t take (Russell) in the first round.”

ESPN’s Trent Dilfer, of course, was at Newton’s Media Day, and came away saying the workout could push the 2010 Heisman Trophy winner’s stock into the top-five picks.

Mayock disagrees.

“To me, there are two issues with this kid,” said Mayock. “Issue number one is he came out of a shotgun (offense), and if you watch the tape it’s basically a very simple offense. … And secondly, most importantly, when you get to a certain skill level in the NFL, which this kid certainly has, at the quarterback position, what kind of kid is he?

“Is he going to be the first guy in the building? Is he a gym rat? Is he football smart?”

All day long, ESPN watchers were showered in Dilfer’s praise of Newton Media Day.

Mayock, meanwhile, is sticking by his guns. Just as he did on January 25, Mayock has Newton ranked third among draft-eligible quarterbacks in his latest rankings, which were updated Thursday afternoon.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
60 Responses to “Mayock on Newton: “I really didn’t need to see the workout””
  1. gforce90 says: Feb 10, 2011 8:35 PM

Pittsburgh sucks!
    If you’re not first, you’re last!

2. realitypolice says: Feb 10, 2011 8:37 PM

I was stunned by Dilfer’s report from the work out.

I had considered him to be one of the most knowledgeable and even keeled analysts ESPN had but the way he got absolutely hysterical over this kid’s workout was laughable.

Haven’t we learned anything from these workout wonders?

Newton may turn out to be great, but the idea that he vaulted into the top 5 by throwing in shorts with no one rushing him is just plain silly.

3. jc1958coo says: Feb 10, 2011 8:39 PM

if i was taking a guy in the first round, i’d look him in the eye!! mayock is a joke!!!!!!

4. hobartbaker says: Feb 10, 2011 8:41 PM

Bam!

Another cautionary note could be the fact that Newton’s “quarterback guru” never played the game higher than as a backup in the Arena League, and never coached the game higher than as an intern with the Chargers. That isn’t a whole lot better than my resume for the job.

5. tatum064 says: Feb 10, 2011 8:47 PM

jc1958coo says: Feb 10, 2011 8:39 PM

===========================
    after the JaMarcus Russell pick, thats a 30 million dollar guaranteed mistake….Mayock is ABSOLUTELY right….

6. nothimagain says: Feb 10, 2011 8:48 PM

Newton’s got a long way to go with regards to reading defenses and going through his progressions. He was abysmal in the national title at looking at anything but the primary receiver.

7. hobartbaker says: Feb 10, 2011 8:48 PM

It really seems like a dis to the NFL draft guys around the league. A bit like telling all your co-workers about the great party you’re having when you know they can’t come. Thanks, kid.

8. akeemdropsdaball says: Feb 10, 2011 8:50 PM

Mike Mayock is the same guy who would take Pepsi MAX in the first round….Pepsi MAX!

Please, like HE knows anything about the draft…

9. AlanSaysYo says: Feb 10, 2011 8:51 PM

This is really simple: Mayock is usually right.

I appreciate that he not only didn’t get suckered into the rah-rah exhibition today, but also knew enough not to go in the first place. It’s refreshing to have an analyst like him.

10. realitypolice says: Feb 10, 2011 9:00 PM

Just the fact that Newton held a “media only” workout raises huge red flags for me.

What, exactly, was the point of this?

If I were a team executive, I would worry whether this guy could even spell “team” much less realize that there’s no “I” in it.

11. dbellina says: Feb 10, 2011 9:02 PM

I’m grad at least one of these “experts” aren’t getting sucked into all the hype surrounding certain players.

12. dequan81 says: Feb 10, 2011 9:05 PM

Mayock is the best thing about NFL Net. I look forward to the Combine and Draft and this dude is pretty solid. More reports like this PFT, less about the “suit”!

13. jc1958coo says: Feb 10, 2011 9:19 PM

tatumo64: mayock said mendenhall was the best, darren mc fadden was over rated, how about chris johnson! we all make mistakes i’m just saying he’s not the best!!

14. mike83ri says: Feb 10, 2011 9:23 PM

The idea that the film of him playing had him in the mid to low first round, and all of a sudden this media workout will shoot him up draft boards is the reason why I don’t listen to anything Trent Dilfer has to say.

15. zn0rseman says: Feb 10, 2011 9:23 PM

Cam Newton is not the best QB in this year’s draft class…

He is Jamarcus Russell 2.o.

Mayock speaks the truth.

16. bigassbrando says: Feb 10, 2011 9:24 PM

For all the people criticizing Newton for not inviting pro scouts, you’re off base. Pro scouts could not attend per NFL rules.

I think Mayock is a good scout. But having Jake Locker at #2 is inexcusable.

17. egls7 says: Feb 10, 2011 9:26 PM

Cant go wrong with mayock

18. emperorzero says: Feb 10, 2011 9:27 PM

Mayock brings up some great points and ESPN’s credibility has to be questioned since all they ever do is suck up to star-type players.

19. goldtoothbiscuits says: Feb 10, 2011 9:35 PM

Jamarcus Russell Part II

20. favrelous says: Feb 10, 2011 9:36 PM

Vikings will win the superbowl with cam their # 2 behind McNabb.

21. thatdude32 says: Feb 10, 2011 9:36 PM

one of the most overhyped prospects in the draft he should’nt see the field for atleast 2yrs if the coach is smart

22. ninerfaithful says: Feb 10, 2011 9:44 PM

Mayock has a good track record but he’s gettin a little full of himself, Kiper always has that chip on his shoulder, McShay is clueless, His rating system is always off

23. thompgk says: Feb 10, 2011 9:44 PM

Are you people crazy or something?

Newton isn’t just a flash in the pan. The guy brought it every time he played.

Mayock still has Jake Locker as the 2nd QB. Does that not raise flags with anybody but me?

24. cobrala says: Feb 10, 2011 9:52 PM

Mayock’s far more accurate than any other ‘analyst’. In addition he’s meticulously-prepared and obviously spends significant time studying film when it comes to draft coverage.

Some of his post-game stuff seems to be as rehearsed and regurgitated as any other network analyst, I’d say.

Some of you seem to be JUST waking up to BSPN’s shenanigans… the writing has been on the wall for YEARS, folks…

25. johnny1979 says: Feb 10, 2011 9:54 PM

JaMarcus Russell was mentioned, enough said. Can you say BUST????

26. jw731 says: Feb 10, 2011 10:07 PM

Newton is a joke….How many times have we seen the athletic QB, cannon arm, be the next coming of the greatest QB ever….Fact is, he’s loaded wth baggage, and team newton is just trying to cash in….He’s about as mature as a caterpillar, and NO WAY does he possess the heart, skill, and brains to be worthy of a first round pick, late second round as a project ……..maybe…

27. thespeaker08 says: Feb 10, 2011 10:09 PM

Mayock is truly good at what he does.

28. canadianvikingfaniii says: Feb 10, 2011 10:14 PM

Mike Mayock, you just love listening to this guy break down film and assess players. He does the Vikings preseason commentary and the depth he goes into learning about teams and players is amazing, he would be a great choice to replace one of those primetime clown commentators.

29. cappa662 says: Feb 10, 2011 10:28 PM

Once Newton gets the money, he’ll be another Jamarcus.

Red flags – stealing several laptops while at UF, stealing another students homework at UF, almost catching a felony at UF (but reduced to a misdemeanor), puffing the sour, and etc.

30. kingbattle says: Feb 10, 2011 10:34 PM

Mayock knows dick about the draft.. Isn’t he the same guy that said tebow sucks and can’t make the transition to the NFL.. Oh and he also said gerald McCoy from last year is just as talented as suh but not so much.. He knows nothing.. Pay me that money I’ll show u who the stars and busts are..

31. conquerpeace4d says: Feb 10, 2011 11:50 PM

athletic qb’s, that rely on athleticism in college tend to become busts in the nfl because they never learn to fine tune their passing skills, and when they make it to the nfl their athletic ability is not any greater than most of the players in the league so they end up like vince young and jamarcus russell

32. wiscoboy says: Feb 10, 2011 11:55 PM

What’s all the excitement? Did Brett Favre fart?

33. rustyhilger says: Feb 11, 2011 12:07 AM

Last year Mayock had McCoy ahead of Suh. How’d that work out.

34. duffer58 says: Feb 11, 2011 12:45 AM

Kingbattle what are you talking about? Tebow has not proven anything. he was clearly drafted too high and is a likely bust.
    Mayock is much better then Kiper and Mcshay.

35. lostsok says: Feb 11, 2011 12:52 AM

Cam Newton is all about me-me-me. NOT what you want in a QB. He’s never had to work hard for anything in his life…why would someone think giving him millions of dollars is going to LOWER his sense of self-entitlement?

36. lks311 says: Feb 11, 2011 12:56 AM

Mayock also said he’d take McCoy before Suh.

37. codeoflivin says: Feb 11, 2011 3:06 AM

He won’t be able to understand a pro offense. Nuff Said.

38. gavinmac says: Feb 11, 2011 3:08 AM

39. khmer379 says: Feb 11, 2011 3:59 AM

No Viking don’t do it he a taller Joe Webb we need a real QB enough of this suffering without a SB title

40. lostsok says: Feb 11, 2011 5:41 AM

“Mayock’s delusional. He actually had Jamarcus Russell ranked second overall on his “big board” and said that Russell had the “highest ceiling” he had seen from a QB since John Elway. Look it up.”
    ________________________________
    Yes, Mayock said that…but you’re being awfully selective with his quote. This is his full quote:

“This year, I can’t get over how good and talented JaMarcus Russell is. It just blew me away. If I had the first, second, third, fourth, fifth pick in that draft, I would be tearing apart his personal life trying to figure out whether or not I could trust this kid with $10-million … From a physical skill set perspective, I’ve never seen a college quarterback with more ability than Russell. You put the tape on and it’s frightening. The only thing that’s going to keep [Russell] from being great is him. What it comes down to is you’ve got to figure out whether or not this kid wants to be the best quarterback in football. If he wants to be the best quarterback in football, he can be.”

He was DEAD ON.

41. tv426 says: Feb 11, 2011 6:55 AM

rustyhilger says: Feb 11, 2011 12:07 AM

Last year Mayock had McCoy ahead of Suh. How’d that work out.

Well, of the QBs that went in the first round, McCoy was the best of the lot. Further, you cannot compare a QB to a DL. BIG difference bud. One has to know not only everything the O is doing and all route variations, blocking schemes, etc. AND be able to read the D and all the variations they can do while the other has to know “tackle football, grunt, grunt”. No comparison.

42. jacksrants says: Feb 11, 2011 7:25 AM

I agree with Mayock on Cam Newton BUT he is not infallable .

I’ve yet to hear him issue a retraction about how Darren McFadden would not be good at the NFL level . I think McFadden provved Mayock wrong on this .

Mayock may be one of the best but speaking in absolutes and then not admitting your mistakes is the problem here.

43. crazycane says: Feb 11, 2011 7:36 AM

Vince Young was a better prospect coming out of College than Newton and look at how that’s turned out.

44. neilpountney says: Feb 11, 2011 8:10 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++

The other poster is refering to Gerald McCoy DT who went to the Buccs.

Mayock is very good, its easy to pin mistakes on these guys but he gets a lot more right than wrong and is streets ahead of McShay and Mel Kiper. His film breakdowns are really eye opening to those of us who want to learn more about the game. To me based on what little I have seen of him Cam Newton has bust written all over him and would be a HUGE gamble in the first round.

45. chapnastier says: Feb 11, 2011 8:13 AM

Most of the stuff coming out of ESPN has been proven time and time again to be garbage. McShay is never right and Kiper said that Jimmy Clausen was the best QB in the draft last year. While Mayock may not be perfect he is more often right than anyone at ESPN. He also talks to the camera in a non condescending way which makes him more enjoyable to watch as well.

Dilfer? I mean really, Trent Dilfer? Why the hell would anyone take him seriously?

46. godofwine330 says: Feb 11, 2011 8:15 AM

This is why I love Mike Mayock, pure blatant honesty.

“You and I in gym shorts at the local high school can throw pretty accurately, so I would guarantee you (Newton) would look great in a pair of gym shorts.…But I would also (offer) one cautionary note, and that is the best Pro Day for a quarterback I ever attended was JaMarcus Russell. That same day, even though I admitted it was the best Pro Day I ever saw, I also said I wouldn’t take (Russell) in the first round.”

47. CKL says: Feb 11, 2011 8:18 AM

tv426 says: Feb 11, 2011 6:55 AM

rustyhilger says: Feb 11, 2011 12:07 AM

Last year Mayock had McCoy ahead of Suh. How’d that work out.

___________________________________
    His ranking of McCoy over Suh was GERALD McCoy the DT, not Colt McCoy the QB.

Mayock is THE best analyst of the draft and yes they are all going to miss some, him included.

48. ny82jy says: Feb 11, 2011 9:02 AM

Newton = Jafatass Russel !! Hope the bills draft him so i can watch the jets destroy him. He probably would be able to beat the dolphins though haha..

49. patfic15 says: Feb 11, 2011 9:39 AM

Cam Newton is to the team that drafts him in the first round what the wonderlic was to Vince Young> DISASTER

50. dukemarc says: Feb 11, 2011 9:40 AM

Dilfer is quickly descending into “Mort Zone” of legitimacy. Mayock runs circles around all these other jokers.

51. gangsterlinebullies says: Feb 11, 2011 9:44 AM

ok guys every qb can be a bust especially if drafted by oakland. at the begining of this year after bradford went number #1 he would be a bust because of injuries he never missed a snap. they said vick have to change positions at first now he has the hottest arm in nfl. everyone was on tebow he cant play qb but he looked pretty good. newton is best qb in draft period. locker cant hit a barn.

52. wferg1121 says: Feb 11, 2011 9:46 AM

Not sure how good this kid is, but if I am a GM, I would take Mayock’s advice over those other idiots. I think he is by far the best analyst covering the draft.

53. deepbacksidedig says: Feb 11, 2011 10:06 AM

Dilfer says some hilarious things.
    I think he is from a parallel universe.

54. shaggytoodle says: Feb 11, 2011 10:53 AM

I would not want this guy on my team, from his days in college when he was ripping off lap tops, to his dad trying to rip off colleges to get his “talents,” What would stop him from doing that to a team willing to hand him millions?

55. rabidbillsfan says: Feb 11, 2011 11:45 AM

Mayock is the Man! I mean you can’t say “Mike Mayock” with out saying Mock! Every year I travel to my parents house just to watch DirecTV, so I can watch the draft on NFLN(Sadly TW doesn’t think it matters which talking head I watch on Draft Day) and hear him rate the picks and give his analysis. The guys a genious, I can’t stand Kiper, Dilfer or whoever else ESPN has, there all jokes. Mayock actually does his homework, maybe the Bills should have hired him as GM? Either way I’m with him on this one, Newton, I think, will either be JaMarcus Russell, or Pre-Prison Mike Vick(First read: Pass, Second Read: Run) and it all depends on what team drafts him.

56. rabidbillsfan says: Feb 11, 2011 11:51 AM

@CKL

Did you also notice he said McCoy went in the First round? Guys like him give guys like us a bad name.

@tv426
    Also, GERALD McCoy and Suh play in 2 completly diffrent defensive schemes. They are both perfect fits for the teams that drafted them. You can’t rate a DT on Sacks and Tackles alone.

57. gregjennings85 says: Feb 11, 2011 12:24 PM

I know it sounds crazy, but I’d rather have a kid that hasn’t won anything, that has been told his whole career that he won’t make it, etc.

Aaron Rodgers
    Brett Favre
    Tom Brady
    Tony Romo

vs

Alex Smith
    Jamarcus Russell
    David Carr
    Jeoy Harrington

The other key here is: None in the top group started from day one, most became fluent in the laguage of their offense, had time to digest it, observed their team, and eventually went out and led it to the playoffs and beyond, in many instances.

I think the best arm (velocity plus accuracy plus timing) in this draft belongs to Ryan Mallet. If he is brought through a system the right way, I think he becomes the best QB in this draft.

NFL Live televised some of Newton’s workout, and he looked alright (I for one would like to see one of these kids do their workout in full pads), but the part that stuck out to me was that afterwards, he addressed the media on-site, stumbled through a pre-written statement that he was instructed to make, never looked up, and seemed very immature and coddled to this point in his life.

I wish him well, but the only way he amounts to anything is if he gets to sit for at least 2 years.

58. CKL says: Feb 12, 2011 4:28 AM

rabidbillsfan says: Feb 11, 2011 11:51 AM

@CKL

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    Good catch..I missed that!

59. espnfeedback says: Feb 12, 2011 8:29 PM

Mayock is highly overated. This Cam Newton situation is a prime example. Last year he gladly attended, helped advertise a media workout for another spread QB who had won a national championship….Tim Tebow. Yes Tebow was a winner and showed leadership intangibles as does Newton. But Tebow had far more serious questions regarding his mechanics, footwork, arm strength and ability to read defenses. Mayock gladly went to slobber over Tebow. The only thing missing from his every hour on the hour breaking news reports on The NFL Network was him dressed in a #15 jersey and pom poms. Mayock can be quite biased and as this example shows very hypocritical.

Furthermore this consistent evoking of Jamarcus Russell when Cam Newton is the subjects smacks of prejudice and bias merely based on nothing but the shared color of their skin.

Twitter@espnfeedback

60. hqudsi45 says: Feb 13, 2011 11:12 PM

For everyone saying how Mayock screwed up with Mendenhall and McFadden, just look at their career stats so far. I don’t have any particular appreciation for either as a Ravens fan, but Mendenhall has had the better CAREER so far. McFadden had an excellent year, absolutely, but before that, he hadn’t been doing much of anything and people were considering him a bust. Also, you have to remember that RB’s have a short shelf life so they’re supposed to come in and contribute right away, which Mendenhall did after his broken collarbone (courtesy of Ray Lewis :)

And as for Tebow compared to Newton, everyone knows that Tim Tebow has a reputation as being a superbly hard worker. The issue Mayock has with Newton is that he’s a great talent, but he hasn’t shown the willingness to be the first guy in, last guy out of the building franchise QB type of guy and that’s EXACTLY what you’re looking for when you’re drafting in the 1st Round. So to everyone trying to play the race card here, all I have to say is shut up and get a clue.

Oh and for McCoy vs Suh, I personally love Suh more but remember that McCoy did get injured too. This guy’s got it right:

“Suh had a great rookie season for sure but it’s not like McCoy is a bust and just sucked or something. It’s too early to decide which player is better of the two.”