Shurmur will serve as his own offensive coordinator

Pat Shurmur, Mike Holmgren AP

With all the buyouts that the Browns have been funding over the past few years, they’ve finally found a way to save some money.

They won’t be hiring a new offensive coordinator.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that new coach Pat Shurmur will serve as his own offensive coordinator, calling the plays and otherwise drawing up the O’s in a way aimed to outsmart the X’s.

The move means that Shurmur could be relying even more heavily on team president Mike Holmgren, who dropped strong hints about returning to coaching in 2011 and who seems to be willing to roll up his sleeves and help out.  It also could mean that new defensive coordinator Dick Jauron will have more autonomy.

Mark Whipple, the former offensive coordinator at the University of Miami, has been hired as quarterbacks coach in Cleveland.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
14 Responses to “Shurmur will serve as his own offensive coordinator”
  1. jerruhjones says: Feb 10, 2011 8:11 PM

Has to be better than Daboll!

2. twindaddy says: Feb 10, 2011 8:19 PM

Wow. Holmgren’s looking at him like he wants to rip his clothes off and get busy right there…

3. hobartbaker says: Feb 10, 2011 8:43 PM

Pat will also do most of the typing for the staff and clean the offices at the end of the day.

4. trickbunny says: Feb 10, 2011 8:49 PM

Ugh. As a Browns fan, I am *not* looking forward to this. I’m not sure I really understand Holmgren. It’s as if he came along, learned about what’s been going on in Cleveland for 10 years and how effed up it all is, and then made a bunch of moves that fill the fans with dread instead of confidence. Now he’s gonna let a guy who’s never been a HC be the HC *and* the OC. The OC who headed up the Rams debacle. The Rams. Yay.

I can only hope that this is some kind of reverse psychology mindf*ck. After all, the last few coaches- Butch Davis (Hurricanes), Romeo Crennel (NE), and Eric Mangini (NE/NYJ) all came to Cleveland from successful, winning programs. Now we have a guy who’s coming from doing a horrible job at a pathetic franchise. I guess this means the Browns will somehow be good now, uh, right?

I would love nothing more to be proven wrong and way off base here. Come on, Pat- make me embarrassed for posting this. I’m begging you.

5. jc1958coo says: Feb 10, 2011 9:02 PM

has to be an upgrade from what they had!

6. wiscoboy says: Feb 10, 2011 9:53 PM

Holmgren is an overrated arrogant a-hole who will do nothing but earn a fat paycheck until people get tired of hearing about his one super bowl with Green Bay. He may have won one but his staff was stacked with talent and he ditched it all to chase his ‘GM’ dream job in Seattle only to settle with the Browns because Seattle had seen enough.

Good luck!!!

7. thejabronisayz says: Feb 10, 2011 10:10 PM

As a Rams fan who suffered through that season-ending loss to Seattle in which the Rams offense mustered a dismal 6 points against a terrible defense, I feel incredibly sorry for Cleveland fans.

8. MichaelEdits says: Feb 11, 2011 3:27 AM

Considering what a wonderful job Holmgren did of leaving the Seahawks a complete shambles, I don’t know why Cleveland hired him. They were a shambles already. And yep, Holmgren looks besotted. Bad photo.

9. jeterleto says: Feb 11, 2011 7:45 AM

So the post is about Shurmur calling his own plays as his own OC. Now its turned into bashing Holmgren. Holmgren said its Shurmur’s team and thats how its going to be. If Shurmur fails at calling plays im sure an OC will be inserted but he has many offensive minded coaches on the team so getting advice wont be an issue. Shurmur hasnt started coaching yet and Holmgren is entering year 2 so lets not be so quick to judge at least let the season start.

10. lbcoach34 says: Feb 11, 2011 9:45 AM

It could prove difficult to be the OC and HC at the same time – but I don’t think that’s what going on here…he’s the HC who calls plays – it’s been done for many many years. And you can divide responsibilities amongst your staff, and I would envision the RB coach the QB coach and the WR coach and the OL coach all having a part in those responsibilities – and maybe even Holmgren.

As for Holmgren – I think he’s doing what he believes – the best thing is that he wisely kept Mangini last year – so he could be used as the scapegoat for this year while obtaining/retaining the services of Tom Heckert – a critical role for conituity. Now, Shurmur is one of his puppets – and we picked up some promising players in my eyes – Hillis, Haden, Ward, McCoy. Now, Shurmur/Heckert will be on the same page as far as FA and the draft – all under Holmgren’s watchful eye. – There was no chance that big egoes like Gruden or Cowher coudl exist under Holmgren – I like what’s going on

Please AJ Green be there at #6

11. CKL says: Feb 11, 2011 1:34 PM

trickbunny says: Feb 10, 2011 8:49 PM

____________________________________
    I’ll give you some hope….

This is almost the same thought some folks had about McCarthy when he was hired by GB @ HC in 06.
    He came from the 05 season as OC in SF as playcaller of a bottom 3 in PPG offense…to a first time HC in GB and has always called plays. The man has had his team in the playoffs 3 times in 5 years as a HC and of course just won a SB and had a pretty darned good offense several of those years and coaxed a decent year out of the ole gunslinger along the way (07). And he has worked under Holmgren.
    Granted I have always thought McCarthy was a good coach whether @ OC or HC…and I am not sure about Shurmur….but still…there IS hope.

The Sean Payton hire was also questioned. Dallas sure didn’t do much in 05 on offense when he was the OC…pedestrian 20 ppg. He has always been the playcaller and has had a pretty productive offense many times. He had his team in the playoffs 3 times in 5 years as well and also like McCarthy one SB. I always liked SP as well…but again…you just never know.

Both those guys were smart enough to get good DCs…that’s a big deal. Not all offensive minded HCs are smart enough either ego wise or coaching evaluation wise to choose a good to great DC. So the Jauron hire will be a huge factor as well.

The fact that Sam Bradford is upset about losing Shurmur means that at the very least he feels Shurmur helped him a lot. Since he had a pretty good year for any QB in that situation and GREAT for a rookie QB with not much skill talent around him and a questionable OL, I think his opinion should be considered a positive for Shurmur.

And I have absolutely no rooting interest here, I’m a Pats fan.

12. oldcracker says: Feb 12, 2011 12:49 AM

“A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.”

As a HC, with OC experience, Shurmur should appreciate the value of an OC more than the normal coach. As his own OC, who’s butt does he kick when it’s needed? Where’s the objectivity?

This does not bode well for either the OC or the HC.

13. jfaoyx says: Feb 14, 2011 7:45 PM

And so begins the 3 year cycle to completely rebuilding again. After this debacle we’ll be right back to 1999…every 3 years…Hire an unproven nobody who ran one of the worst offenses in the absolute worse division to be your head coach and offensive coordinator. We are screwed. Only hope is no football next year.

14. realkelevra says: Feb 18, 2011 1:10 PM

“the search is over, you were with me all the while…”

I wonder if this decision has anything to do with the fact that he said he was going to be calling the plays.

Geek, what offensive coordinator wouldn’t want to be the rookie head coach’s meat puppet?

I’m beginning to think that the Browns head coach is actually Mike Holmgren.