Jermichael Finley talks about his “pretty serious” staph infection

Jermichael Finley

In a Friday visit to ProFootballTalk Live, Packers tight end Jermichael Finley addressed the knee injury that knocked him out for the year, and that resulted in a staph infection.

Though Finley told Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com during the season that it was a “real small” during the season, Finley told us that it ended up being a real big problem.

“It was pretty serious,” he said.  Finley explained that he had surgery to clean out the infection and he had a central line installed in his chest for five weeks, which allowed antibiotics to be pumped into his body intravenously.

As to the injury the precipitated the first surgery, Finley said that he suffered a torn lateral meniscus in his knee.  He explained that, initially, he could have been back in three weeks, but that the decision was made to fully repair the meniscus, which knocked him out for the season.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Jermichael Finley talks about his “pretty serious” staph infection”
  1. 13xworldchamps says: Feb 11, 2011 4:45 PM

Finley will be a beast next year, the experience of sitting out seems to have humbled and toned him down a bit……….he seems very hungry, that offense with Finley and a full year of James Starks is going to be tough.

2. hobbstweedle says: Feb 11, 2011 4:54 PM

“Though Finley told Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com during the season that it was a ‘real small’ during the season, Finley told us that it ended up being a real big problem.”

===================================

Yeah, but he also told Jason the following:

“I had to go in… and get the infection out. I was in the hospital for two days… I had to get all these antibiotics in me, get blood drawn four or five times a day. It’s terrible. Right now, I’ve got this IV in my chest, a central line.

“[I]t was emergency surgery. I had a 105 fever… we had to rush in and clean out the infection… I had to rush in and they put a central line in my chest. I won’t get this taken out for another month and a half. Three times a day I have to get antibiotics put through it.”

Sorry, Captain Drama, but there’s not a lot of news associated with this.

3. jc1958cool says: Feb 11, 2011 5:07 PM

as long as the o-line stays healthy, there is no stopping a repeat! GREEN & GOLD

4. sportsfan73 says: Feb 11, 2011 5:41 PM

Jermichael Finley makes Shannon Sharpe look like Bryant Gumbel .

5. worldchampsx13 says: Feb 11, 2011 6:08 PM

So does this season count as Finley’s YOTTO, or does the injury mean it gets pushed a year?

Perhaps next year is the sequel? YOTTO II – Jermichael Takes Indy?

6. brasho says: Feb 11, 2011 6:59 PM

Staph…? Are they scared of saying “MRSA”? Regular run of the mill staph infections don’t cause 105 degree fevers. Regular staph infections don’t need lines running Vanco through a guy’s body.

Finley doesn’t care about playing 18 games because Finley is just happy to be alive. Former Lycoming College WR Ricky Lannetti would be ecstatic to play 18 games in a season too… if MRSA hadn’t killed him.