Joe Webb doesn’t get trapped by quarterback talk

Joe Webb

It’s widely presumed that the Vikings need, and thus will look for, a new quarterback.  The guy who finished the 2010 season with the job isn’t fazed.

“They might have quite a few quarterbacks at camp,” Joe Webb told Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.  “I’ll just be doing what I’ve done all my life, competing for a job.  Some people think the team should draft a quarterback in the first round or get someone else or keep me.  I can’t control any of that.  I just know that whenever I do get on the field, I’m well-prepared for the opportunity.”

Webb was a sixth-round pick in 2010, drafted as a receiver.  When he showed up for rookie minicamp (the kind of minicamp that won’t happen in 2011 if there’s a lockout), the Vikings realized that he had huge hands and that he could use them to throw a football pretty darn well.

And so Webb was converted to quarterback.  With Brett Favre and Tarvaris Jackson hurt late in the year, Webb started the last two games of the year, including an upset win over the Eagles in Philly.

Still, it would be a major upset if Webb is the starter come September.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
34 Responses to “Joe Webb doesn’t get trapped by quarterback talk”
  1. brasho says: Feb 11, 2011 7:30 PM

“When he showed up for rookie minicamp (the kind of minicamp that won’t happen in 2011 if there’s a lockout), the Vikings realized that he had huge hands and that he could use them to throw a football pretty darn well.”

Huge hands? You know what that means… some very impressive pictures when sending picture messages of his penis. Who says Lord Favre isn’t a great mentor?

2. jc1958cool says: Feb 11, 2011 7:32 PM

if he gets a roof over his head, he’ll be fine.
    too bad he plays for jerk of an owner!
    no favre watch this year OMFG!!!

3. pack4gop says: Feb 11, 2011 7:34 PM

I heard Don Majkowski is available…..just another old former Packer they could go after

4. tfbuckfutter says: Feb 11, 2011 7:45 PM

Look….these are facts….Brad Childress was a complete and total lunatic who lucked out by getting a resurgent Brett Favre.

Now you have a Defensive Backs coach as your head coach.

Now don’t get me wrong, he may be a fine head coach. He may even be an excellent head coach.

But it will be as a defensive head coach. I.e. kiss your hopes of having a true franchise QB goodbye for a long time.

Maybe he can fly to Trent Dilfer’s house and pitifully beg him to come out of retirement.

5. hobartbaker says: Feb 11, 2011 7:55 PM

One of these days they’ll go to a smaller football to get rid of all the “big hands” guys in the league.

6. dbellina says: Feb 11, 2011 8:20 PM

7. JimmySmith says: Feb 11, 2011 8:31 PM

We can only hope that Webb is the starter, then the 6 wins in 2010 will look like the good ol days.

8. thegreenviking says: Feb 11, 2011 8:51 PM

The kid showed promise. He’s very raw but very talented.

9. jbl429 says: Feb 11, 2011 8:57 PM

@tfbuckfutter: Bill Belichick is a defensive coach. Bill Parcells and Wade Phillips were defensive coaches. Marty Schottenheimer was a defensive coach. Same for Bill Cowher. Steve Spagnuolo is as well. The QBs they coached all seem to be doing just fine. There’s much more to franchize QB development than the history of the head coach.

10. tfbuckfutter says: Feb 11, 2011 9:31 PM

jbl429, Bill Cowher? Are you joking? The same Bill Cowher who didn’t even attempt to acquire a real QB until 2004, and even then lets face it, Ben was a reach. And Parcells? Are we not counting Testeverde, Lucas, Bledsoe (retread), Quincy Carter? Belichick I’ll give you because he understands all facets of the game….and Wade “Doug Flutie or Rob Johnson? I can’t decide” Phillips? Seriously?

Here, I’ll give you a freebie….how about Tony Dungy? Oh….wait….he had absolutely nothing until he went to a situation with an established QB already there. Nevermind.

Sorry….but defensive minded coaches rarely can mine legit QB talent….it happens occasionally, and once in awhile but it’s still not the norm.

11. deeppurple23 says: Feb 11, 2011 9:50 PM

12. goldsteel says: Feb 11, 2011 10:15 PM

Joe Webb looked pretty good all things considered. He didn’t seem emotionally overwhelmed while playing. He just needs a good camp. The Vikings don’t need another quarterback.

13. leroysbutler says: Feb 11, 2011 11:22 PM

I hope the Vikings get some decent quarterback play in 2011. I would hate for them to “Luck” out in the 2012 draft.

14. jimmysee says: Feb 11, 2011 11:31 PM

I’m a Packers fan but also a Joe Webb fan.

Hope the kid gets a fair shot.

He could be the Vikes’ Calib Hanie.

15. rtl1984 says: Feb 11, 2011 11:48 PM

It’s tough to come out of a college like UAB and get thrusted into a starting role in your rookie year. Give the kid time, he could polish into a beauty dual threat QB. Or he ends up like Tarvaris Jackson and can only be judged by potential and not skill. Best of luck to him.

16. goombar2 says: Feb 12, 2011 12:15 AM

I just… It never ceases to amaze me, both how stupid the viking organization is and their fans…

Most organization look at a Qbs intelligence, arm strength, his mechanics. The vikes look at the Qb’s hands…

And their fans say nothing!!! The fans think the ship can be righted!

Wow, just wow…

17. smartestmanalive says: Feb 12, 2011 12:17 AM

They need to take Pat Devlin in the fourth round.

18. rovibe says: Feb 12, 2011 12:25 AM

This article is misleading.

Webb only converted to WR on the advice of NFL scouts prior to the Senior Bowl. He actually was a QB in college, so the Vikings aren’t trying to teach him a new position, they just moved him back to his college position.

As for the nerds posting jokes about ‘big hands’, anyone in MN knows that one big knock on Daunte Culpepper was that his hands were too small. As a result, he floated too many passes and had too many fumbles.

19. keyspirate says: Feb 12, 2011 12:35 AM

He’s loaded with raw talent and he seems to have a great attitude too. Don’t underestimate him.

20. nighttrainwoowoo says: Feb 12, 2011 2:57 AM

“Joe Webb doesn’t get trapped by quarterback talk”

I wouldn’t get trapped by that talk either if I wasn’t a quarterback. Good luck, bro. You are the only “QB” on the Vikings’ roster, so you have a good shot at being the ‘not worst’ option. But don’t sell yourself short, there could be really bad drafts or free agent signings that are worse than you. LOL

How’s Aaron Rodgers doing? I bet he’s doing just fine.

21. madesian says: Feb 12, 2011 4:50 AM

I think that any opinion on Joe Webb doesn’t mean anything at all right now. do i think he deserves a chance? yes. He showed enough athleticism during the few times he got on the field this year. He even showed that he can make a good decision when it comes to throwing and holding onto the football. one thing i like about him is he can run the ball down the field if he needs to, but when he is getting out of tough situations, he always has his eyes up the field. I don’t think we saw enough of him this year to make a decision about him. when he did get on the field, no one really cared about playing well, they just wanted to get the game over with and go home. Regardless of how he does, the vikings desperately need to address the QB situation this offseason and make sure that they aren’t stuck with Webb alone if he does turn out to be a wash.

22. loytomaki says: Feb 12, 2011 5:10 AM

“If he continues to improve I would not call it an upset for him to become a starter. Also, he never converted to a quarterback, he was a QB in college and high school. He’s never really played at the WR position.”

====

Very well put. I was going to point that out myself, but instead I will just add this. If he was willing to get drafted as a WR, and we all saw his speed last year, I would be shocked if he still didn’t make it in this league. If they get a better QB fine, put him back at his drafted position of WR. Randel El (sp?) was a QB in college and has had a good career at WR for the Steelers. They also use him on end around with a pass option from time to time.

23. sakatak says: Feb 12, 2011 7:37 AM

@goldsteel
    What is this camp you talk about?

24. kingbattle says: Feb 12, 2011 7:39 AM

“Joke all you want, Joe Webb is a guy who doesn’t care what YOU think. He believes in himself and is cool under pressure. Mark my words, he’ll be better than Michael Vick.”

Are you serious??? do you realize the rare talent Mike Vick has.. Vick could have been the 1st overall pick at almost any skill position. He decided on QB. lol Stop using his off the field issues to judge his on the field talents… Webb is a back up Qb at best..

25. brasho says: Feb 12, 2011 7:46 AM

tfbuckfutte:

Raheem Morris=Josh Freeman
    Bill Parcells=Tony Romo, Phil Simms
    Buddy Ryan=Randall Cunningham
    Mike Smith=Matt Ryan
    Jimmy Johnson-Troy Aikman
    Bill Cowher=Ben Roethlisberger
    Rex Ryan=Mark Sanchez
    Jim Mora=Peyton Manning
    Bill Belichick=Tom Brady
    Chuck Noll=Terry Bradshaw

seriously, this list could go on forever… roughly half of all good to great QBs were developed by defensive minded coaches. Your statement is erroneous.

26. cylondetector says: Feb 12, 2011 9:26 AM

Another day, another hugely unfunny ‘observation’ from HobartBaker.

27. truvikingfan says: Feb 12, 2011 10:58 AM

Seriously, does it all even matter when the NFL and NFLPA wont get on the same page and understand that no one person or persons aganda is bigger than the game?

And for all those packers fans beating us down in this blog….even your beloved Rodgers was a raw talent once, and even Lord Favre, before Double T let him go. You remember…back when he was god?

28. greengayfackers says: Feb 12, 2011 11:42 AM

goombar2 says:
    Feb 12, 2011 12:15 AM

And their fans say nothing!!! The fans think the ship can be righted!

Wow, just wow…

You are what is often called, a douche bag!

29. goombar2 says: Feb 12, 2011 11:54 AM

Yeah, I read the whole article, and I live in the twins. But Webb was picked to be a Wr because that’s what he showed in his collegiate career as a QB.

In the fantasy minds of the idiot vike org and their idiot fans would Weeb ever be compared to Cullpepper. He’s no QB, didn’t go until the 6th and at that it was to make a position change to Wr.

But the thing that makes him a QB is his hands? That’s what you want to defend? Maybe they should make him drop trough and measure his ding a ling… Hey, it’s 4 inches… Brett sized! He’s the next Brett Favre!

If you guys were real fans you be outraged by this incompetence. Force Zigi to get some real personnel to run this sham of a team.

30. gunner1970 says: Feb 12, 2011 1:26 PM

I think Webb proved himself to at least be the second string QB, and in due time possibly groomed to be a a starter. There are very very few QB’s that can do what Ben Rothlisberger has done, which is win a title straight out of college. Most go thru the pains of being sub par QB’s for the first few years before they hit their stride. And how many first rounders have been a bust in the NFL….hundreds. A gem is found all the time in the later rounds. I think Webb has an good chance of being one of them.

31. and492 says: Feb 12, 2011 1:28 PM

32. rovibe says: Feb 12, 2011 1:55 PM

and492 says: “Go back to the 2005 draft..Viking with two picks in the first round…They take Troy Williamson and Erasums James..Quess who was still on the board…Thats right, “a guy named Arron Rodgers”..Need I say more..”

—————————-

Yeah, you do need to say more, because your post really sucks. Fact is, in 2005, the Vikings still had Daunte Culpepper, who was fresh off a huge 2004 season and still very young. Why would they have wanted Rodgers? Also, 20 other teams passed on him, too. Try again!

33. linder10 says: Feb 12, 2011 1:56 PM

Webb is good. But then again you can’t judge him by what little bit he played in the season. They’d be taking a huge risk at making him QB. It could be really good or really bad. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Vikings went after a good QB like Kevin Kolb, though. Vick’s clinched the job in Philly, so maybe Kolb could break out in Minnesota. Whatever happens, good luck Vikings. It’s a tough decision of finding a QB who can really lead a team.

34. goombar2 says: Feb 12, 2011 4:28 PM

Oh my god… You vike fans deserve your team.

Webb can’t be described as good. You don’t judge a Qb by hand size. If you don’t see the huge fallacy there, there is no help for you.