Ted Thompson signs new contract with Packers

The man who assembled the Green Bay Packers’ Super Bowl-winning roster has been rewarded.

The Packers announced today that G.M. Ted Thompson has signed a new contract with the team.

“This is a great organization and I am very humbled and appreciative,” Thompson said in a statement. “Green Bay is a special place and I am honored to work with such a great group of people that have all contributed to our success.”

Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy said the deal was actually reached several weeks ago.

“We are thrilled to have Ted lead our football operations for the foreseeable future,” Murphy said. “He has done an outstanding job of building this team. We worked on this and reached an agreement in December, and we are pleased to be able to make the announcement today.”

Up next: A new deal for head coach Mike McCarthy.

50 responses to “Ted Thompson signs new contract with Packers

1. Think about the 3-3 Packers, clinging to a lead with the Vikings driving at Lambeau…they hold on, then shut out the Jets the next week. People talk about the Patriots game being the turning point? I say that hold against Favre was.

This season could have gone south in a real hurry. If this is an 8-8 team, there’s obviously no way TT and MM would be cashing in right now. I am still in shock with how it all went down, as I’m sure they are as well.

2. Wow, I was one of those that couldn’t stand the guy. I can admit I was wrong on some issues, but I also believe he was fortunate to have coaches that coached up the players the way they did.

For the most part, he has done an outstanding job and I hope it continues.

Just remember, Childress got an extension last year too.

3. Either this guy is the luckiest GM in the world or he is the most talented. My guess that he is the most talented. Thompson proved that you can build a Superbowl winner primarily via the draft (note to Dan Snyder). Thompson also proved that you don`t need to pay the overpriced free agents that are on the market every year.
    The Packers are so fortunate to gone from Favre to Rodgers and Ron Wolfe to Ted Thompson. Those 4 men have made the Packers contenders for almost 20 years.

4. TT has done a great job and I like the fact he’ll be around for awhile. However how is it he can get an extension when he has said he wont talk to players with 2 years left on their contracts.Just doesnt seem right.

5. Dude drafted Clay, BJ, Tramon and Aaron, and just won a thing called a Super Bowl.

Why not sign an extension… Great move.

6. Green Bay is a special place. Filled with special people with special needs. There is not anything wrong with that.

7. This must have been what Murphy meant when he said, “There is something you don’t know.”
    As a Packer fan I am thrilled. Look at the roster Thompson and his front office team have assembled. With Rodgers as the QB, this team’s window should be open for awhile.

8. This guy gets the credit for not just the team but bringing in Mcarthey (O.C. of worst offense the year before w/49ers), Dom Capers, and great 2nd & 3rd stingers. Redskins and Cowboys take note

9. You cannot argue with success,,,,,and you must give the man credit for sticking with what he believes in……I give his mentor Ron Wolf alot of credit also for believing on building thru the draft

10. Now Mccarthy… Jenkins… HAWK….Peprah…Kuhn….Crosby….And Last but NOT least Capers and you will be looking at a record breaking squad for years to come GO PACK GO!!!

11. pack4gop says:
    Feb 11, 2011 7:32 PM

==================================

So who do you think hired the coaches? Or at least had final word?

12. Wasn’t always thrilled with his draft picks but after being wrong so many times I decided years ago to just let him do his thing. I can honestly say I was behind him over Favre the whole way and the fans that cheered for Favre vs the Packers can #$#@ off. You don’t get to enjoy this Super Bowl.

13. hobartbaker says:

Ted will be able to buy back the family castle in Transylvania and restore it now.

I think you are confusing TT with Undead Al down there in Oakland.

14. Thompson is to this decade as Scott Pioli was to the last one…i doubted his sanity when Ryan Grant went down and Thompson held fast, but what a fine decision that was…

15. Ted Thompson is a beast. He’s like the old guy at the beach combing the sand with a metal detector for hidden treasures. (Clay Matthews, Tramon Williams, Nick Collins, Greg Jennings)

Then there’s is the guy that goes to Wal Mart and buys the overpriced cheap jewelry that just breaks after a year (Aaron Maybin, JaMarcus Russell)

Then you have the GMs that dumpster dives in other teams garbage cans for washed up free agents hoping for a quick fix to their lack of drafting skills (Brett Favre, Terrell Owens, Albert Haynesworth, Javon Walker)

I’ll take the top one thank you.

Only draft pick TT really wiffed on was Justin Harrell.

16. Congrads to the Packers and their fans for the Superbowl win. That being said, Ted Thompson has been considered for years to be a poor GM, Now they win a Superbowl, with a lot of help late in the season from other teams, and now he’s a God. I just don’t get it.

True, the Packers played great in the postseason. Reguardless, they were 10-6, backing into the playoffs, 2nd in the division, and only got into the playoffs with the Giants giving up about 20 points in the 4th quarter, to loose to the Bucs. The LIONS also won a game to keep them in. As much talent as they had late in the season, and postseason, they had a little help to get there. They are only the 3rd wildcard team to win the Superbowl, in 45 years. While talent played a big part, luck was a big part of the equation too.

So, I encourage the fans to enjoy the run of good luck, but also to put the season in a realistic perspective. It seems many Packers fan’s act as if they are rival to the 72 Dolphins or 85 Bears, or perhaps the recent Dynasty of the the Patriots, or Steelers. That’s absurd, they caught some lucky breaks, and played well late in the season, this season. It’s a bit early to start calling them a dynasty, repeat winners or even calling Ted Thompson a geneuis.

17. pack4gop

You are a Favre slurper, I get it. You loved to rip on Thompson when your BFF was throwing TD’s, but when he’s throwing picks and the Vikings are losing, you chirp a different song. I know a lot of fans like you that are quick to dump on the Packers but are now “reformed” when WE, not you, win a super bowl. We didn’t need you as a fan and don’t need you now. Just keep loving the Vikings, they actually need fans.

18. cusoman says:
    My my, what a difference a year makes. Fickle fans.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For once I agree with a fellow Viking fan. A year ago, McKinnie was an all Pro tackle, this year, a turnstile that should have given his paycheck back due to non performance. A year ago, the Viking fans were doling out their own money to buy billboards in Mississippi. This past year, that same QB is a national punch line for sexting, had more INT’s than TD’s and finished in the bottom 5 in QB ratings in the NFL. Last year, the Vikings had a first round bye in the Playoffs, this year, last place finishing behind the Lions, that’s right, the Lions.

So to repeat, what a difference a year makes.

19. hobartbaker says: Feb 11, 2011 7:49 PM

Green Bay is a special place. Filled with special people with special needs. There is not anything wrong with that____________

I have to admit..that was funny.

20. To the uninformed who continually say the Packers were lucky to get in the playoffs:

I find it hilarious that you point to the close wins, yet none of you mention the close losses. The Packers never trailed by more than 7 points and didn’t lose by more than 4 all season. They could have just as easily gone 13-3 as 10-6. They had just as much bad luck as good luck in the regular season. With the talent coming back, if you don’t think they should be the odds on favorite to win the SB next year, you’re just an obtuse douche.

Anyway, congratulations to Ted. Luckily for us Packers fans, he’s a much better talent evaluator than he is a speaker.

21. Ted Thompson = methodical, not flashy, not prone to act impulsively, not saddled with an egomaniac owner; learned from the best.

Yup, the Packers did go 10-6 — but the depth of the roster and Ted’s ability to judge talent, got them the SB victory.

Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Frank Zombo = key SB contributors, all non-drafted free agents

Howard Green = key SB contributor, scrap heap waiver wire signing

Erik Walden = mid-season street free agent signing; impact player opposite Bloodline as outside LB.

Great to see who the Packers draft in April. The team has all its pocks, and maybe a supplemental for the loss of Aaron Kampman (which Vikings trolls confidently assured us spelled doom for the Packers).

22. I just love all of this Packer enthusiasm . We are the greatest. Sign all our players long term. Sign back Dead Thompson. Repeat.Repeat.

My it will be sweet to watch you fall back to earth at 8-8 next season.

23. I love seeing teams do things the right way and win. Congrats to TT and I am sure MM is next.
    Though I agreed with it at the time, I thought BB’s call on trading the guy considered their franchise guy, a guy who was considered to have helped turn the Pats around in Bledsoe and to a division rival was gutsy…but MM & TT topped that.

24. cusoman–glad to see you didn’t take that jump off that bridge & yes, you are correct. What adifference a year makes. From one & done to SB Champs. Gotta admit though–it caught me completely by surprise.

@drummer-I agree it’s a bit early to be talking dynasty however most teams that make a deep run into the playoffs usually get a little help along the way. Just look at all the games Chicago played while their oppoinents were using backup QB’s.

I’m just amazed at the depth GB displayed this year. TT’s draft choices stepped up as well as the “street ” finds. Gotta give him credit as well as the coaches (which TT also had a hand in hiring).

Hopefully GB can continue their SB “tradition”. Every time they have made it to the SB they have gone back the next year. Unfortunately however, after that 2nd consecutive SB appearance there is a pretty long span of seasons before they return.

25. drummer1279 says:
    Feb 12, 2011 12:10 AM

—————————————————

Who has ever called him a poor GM other than the Favre Bots and the we should have gotten Randy crowd…I don’;t think Skip Bayless is a reliable source on this one LOL,

He was the executive of the year in 2007 and now has a super bowl. being a raiders fane how would you know a good GM if you saw one?

Backing into the playoffs is considered losing and then because another team beats someone for you you get in. The Packers did no backing in whatsoever, We essentially were playing in the playoffs from week 14, we beat the 1st seed, the 2nd seed (Beat the 2nd seeded Bears twice in 3 weeks) the 3rd seed teams and then the number 2 seed in the AFC……Try another argument brother, or maybe you need a new pair of glasses to look through…..How’d Ja Marcus work out for ya…………

26. “pervyharvin says:
    Feb 12, 2011 10:50 AM

My it will be sweet to watch you fall back to earth at 8-8 next season.”

What was that? Oh sorry, I couldn’t read your post because I was blinded by the glare of OUR 4 LOMBARDI TROPHIES in our trophy case.

How many do the Vikings have? Oh right, NONE.

Maybe you and your buddy Sconnie can make litte paper certificates of achievement to congratulate your team on 50 years of failure.

I guess its not a surprise that you don’t think Thompson is any good. You have no idea what greatness looks like.

We do….

13 times.

27. drummer1279 says: Feb 12, 2011 12:24 AM

I also want to add, that I’m a Raider fan, and I’m just calling it as I see it.

=====================================

You didn’t need to explain that we could tell by the way you spelled genius “geneuis”

28. ted1sheckler says:
    Feb 12, 2011 11:08 AM
    TT’s breath smells like semen
    ________________________________

First hand knowledge? You been cheating on your right hand again?

*******************************************
    ___________________________________

Where is that little sconnie ba$tard anyhow?

29. montymontana15 says:
    Feb 12, 2011 7:02 AM
    Jerry Kramer for HOF!!!!

It’s a travesty he’s not in. So many contributions to the game of football.

———————————————————————————–

drummer1279 says:
    Feb 12, 2011 12:10 AM

———————————————————————————–

So the Giants deserved to be in the playoffs more than GB? The Giants blew the 21 point lead against the eagles, whom we beat twice on their field. And we crushed the Giants. So I would say if they had made it over us they would have been the lucky team.

Or the Bucs? Nice season and they may have been deserving, but they lost games they could have won this year so one could say if they had made it, they would have been fortunate.

No ones saying that this GB team is the greatest of all time. We are a young team that came together very nicely at the end of the year. Considering our core group and Thompson’s penchant for identifying talent, the future is bright in GB.

30. Perveroid Harvin says:
    Feb 12, 2011 10:50 AM

My it will be sweet to watch you fall back to earth at 8-8 next season.
    ———————-

Token, I agree with you. It will be sweet to watch the Packers next season, especially on your local Twin Cities TV station after your owner Wilf heads west with the Vikings franchise. Sweet indeed!!

31. Beercheesesoup – where are ya, brother? Have to give it up to the Mini fans who continue to sullenly snarl at the Pack instead of just slinking back into their icy kennels. It can’t be a very rewarding life, but they’re true to their whiny, yapping little natures – the chihuahuas of the NFL!

32. footballrulz says: Feb 12, 2011 2:16 PM

Where is that little sconnie ba$tard anyhow?
    —————————————————-

Same place as Majik is. The alley behind the adult bookstore.

33. Majik and Beer Cheese were proven wrong. I called this all along. Beer Cheese admitted his NFL idiocy and Majik, well, he was a moronic footballk idiot all along. The real truth is Majik is reading these and was celebrating his conversion back to a packer fan. He just doesnt have the balls to come on here and admit it. Coward.

34. They talk about Quarterbacks being “Clutch”…how about General Managers having to be “Clutch”…..

Taking all the fire from the favrebowls, having to keep your composure during injuryfest in the beginning – middle of the season, and all that…..

The dude’s even got Joe Montana’s Haircut.

35. “Just remember, Childress got an extension last year too.”

^ yeah, but we actually got to and won a superbowl, plus you’re forgetting the Jeff Fisher Rule….

Get to a superbowl and do “JACK!” for almost a decade and still keep your job.