Rex Ryan thinks Sanchez can handle latest Jets controversy

Mark Sanchez

In addition to guaranteeing a win in the next Super Bowl, whenever and wherever it may be played, Jets coach Rex Ryan offered some support Friday night for quarterback Mark Sanchez, whose alleged relationship with a 17-year-old girl has become a fairly large story in the largest media market in the country.

“Not everybody can play quarterback in this town,” Ryan told the New York Post.  “It takes a special person, and Mark can do it.  He’s proved that he can do it. He’s focused and determined.  Some guys would wilt under the pressure of New York, of being in the city.  But Mark looks forward to it.

“You’ve got to have broad shoulders, he has broad shoulders,” Ryan added.  “I always talk about skin like an armadillo — though I know it’s armor — but that’s the illustration we make to our guys.  He’s a great player, a great person, and he can handle this.”

Of course, the better way to “handle this” would have been to “avoid this,” by running in the other direction once Sanchez learned the girl was 17.  Though no evidence or allegations of wrongdoing have emerged, Sanchez should have known that nothing good would come from dating a girl who’s still in high school.

Though the story has nothing to do with football, the New York media doesn’t care.  As the team acquires an ever-increasing profile in the Big Apple, the fact that the starting quarterback went on a date with someone who eats apple sauce in the cafeteria at lunch time inevitably will be news there.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
46 Responses to “Rex Ryan thinks Sanchez can handle latest Jets controversy”
  1. maximus929 says: Feb 12, 2011 2:01 PM

Another Mark Sanchez story without anyone from your site trying to figure out why the girl thought it necessary to retain a lawyer.

2. philsimmsisadouche says: Feb 12, 2011 2:06 PM

I wonder if Sanchez asked the 17-year old if he could smell her feet.

3. thelonious says: Feb 12, 2011 2:08 PM

Sure, Rex thinks he can handle it because Rex has already survived the foot fetish video issue with Mrs. Rex.

The big difference here is that Mr and Mrs Rex are not in an adult-screwing-a-high-school-senior conundrum.

4. ampats says: Feb 12, 2011 2:10 PM

Mark Sanchez proudly says,

J ust
    E njoy
    T eenage
    S choolgirls

5. duanethomas says: Feb 12, 2011 2:12 PM

Dating a high school junior? That’s real dirty by Sanchez. The Jets are going to look back at this period with great regret and no Super Bowls. DUI’s, footgate, wake & Bake, a QB who tells a girl I have to wait until you’re 18…Mr. Hess is turning over in his grave.

6. hobartbaker says: Feb 12, 2011 2:16 PM

Sanchez tried to force it into a tight window with predictable results.

7. emperorzero says: Feb 12, 2011 2:19 PM

I would question whether or not Sanchez can handle being a quarterback in New York if he can’t handle the simplest situation of dating a 17-year old girl. There should have been no doubt in Sanchez’s mind to turn tail and run the minute he learned she was 17. I don’t care how smoking hot the chick is – run, fool!

8. mswravens says: Feb 12, 2011 2:20 PM

I’m surprised Rex is sticking by Snatchez…if Snatchez likes 17 year olds, there’s little chance he’ll agree to Rex’s request to fill all of Mrs. Ryan’s holes while he watches…and how that part of the Rex Ryan saga avoided major media attention is beyond me.

I do know this – the Jets organization & fans can buy into Rex and his ongoing ludicrous claims of winning Super Bowls (does he even believe his own BS at this point?) – but it will be one scandal after another with the way Rex runs things…or doesn’t run things so much as he lets the players run things…and the Super Bowls will never materialize!

9. jw731 says: Feb 12, 2011 2:22 PM

Well, she was wearing a DTG necklace…..Down To Graduate…

10. medialovesthecowboys says: Feb 12, 2011 2:38 PM

This is so bizarre. She’s legal. Whether you agree with it or not (I personally don’t) DOES NOT MATTER. He has committed no crime in dating her, yet there will be 15 more PFT posts about this situation. Meanwhile by next week we’ll all have totally forgotten that Michael Bush drove drunk last night. People need to get their priorities straight.

11. montymontana15 says: Feb 12, 2011 2:39 PM

Jerry Kramer for HOF!!!

12. footballrulz says: Feb 12, 2011 2:44 PM

I’ll have to go along with maximus929, why does she have a lawyer representing her?

13. rtl1984 says: Feb 12, 2011 2:45 PM

Easily the most entertaining team to pay attention to.

14. arnoldziffel says: Feb 12, 2011 2:56 PM

Is Mark going to the Prom this spring?

15. rectumnearlykilledem says: Feb 12, 2011 3:01 PM

Same Old Jets

16. majikalmushr0om says: Feb 12, 2011 3:08 PM

“You’ve got to have broad shoulders”
    “I always talk about skin like an armadillo”

Yea, that foot fetish was soo 2010, time to move on to other things.

17. SteelTown6 says: Feb 12, 2011 3:13 PM

Your last article on this subject stated: “Sanchez’s relationship with 17-year-old girl shows bad judgment, no wrongdoing”

Bad Judgement, No Wrongdoing.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that the exact same conclusion that was reached in the Roethlisberger investigation, by both law enforcement and the league?

There is one difference between the two cases though, Sanchez was arrested and charged, Roethlisberger wasn’t.

So hey Rog, he just earned a 6-game suspension for “tarnishing the shield”, right?

18. hobartbaker says: Feb 12, 2011 3:26 PM

Rex compared his QB to an armadillo. “Yeah, they’re these slow moving, sloth like, creatures you find in the southern states along the Mexican border. Funny lookin critters. Guys call him ‘Marco Armadillo’.”

19. youboettcha says: Feb 12, 2011 3:35 PM

@SteelTown6

When did Sanchez get arrested for legally dating a 17-year-old? There is a big difference between dating, and possibly having sex with (not confirmed) a legal 17-year-old, and forcing yourself upon a college girl in a guarded bathroom (not enough evidence). One deserves a 4-game-suspension and one deserves a phone call.

20. stairwayto7 says: Feb 12, 2011 3:52 PM

6 gane suspension Mr. Goodell???

21. hobartbaker says: Feb 12, 2011 3:58 PM

Dirty is sentenced to long term ridicule for tarnishing the contraceptive shield.

22. slippyal2 says: Feb 12, 2011 4:03 PM

“17 years old dude” – Walt

23. hobartbaker says: Feb 12, 2011 4:10 PM

In a rare display of political correctness, Rex stopped short of calling Sanchez’ actions “an ‘illegal’ act”.

24. hobartbaker says: Feb 12, 2011 4:51 PM

Rex lauded Sanchez’ ongoing work with troubled teens in the New York area.

25. goodjet says: Feb 12, 2011 4:56 PM

Jeez, you criticize the guy who runs this web site at all now and you get deleted —- I mean really the guy can dish it out plenty but obviously can’t take it much at all —- I think Dan Snyder must be running it now — Pathetic!!! — This might not make it on anyway but that’s alright, I talk to my self from time to time so I may as well start writing to myself

26. nssmuckers says: Feb 12, 2011 5:01 PM

He was probably disappointed when he found out 17 is legal in New York; he was surely looking to pull even with Big Ben on the rape scoreboard.

27. camjon32 says: Feb 12, 2011 5:07 PM

Medialovesthecowboys says:

Legal or not…answer this, what would YOU do if a 24 year old man comes knocking on your door to take your 17 year old daughter out? If you say, “it’s no big deal, it’s perfectly legal” than you’re more screwed up then Sanchez…and this girl’s parents.

Oh, and Michael Bush should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. But won’t be, because, like Sanchez, he’s an NFL player and they’re rarely held as responsible for their actions as they should be.

28. rexryansfootsoldier says: Feb 12, 2011 5:13 PM

To echo slippyal’s sentiment, the only thing that shocks me about this whole story is that the Sanchize likes women. Who knew?

29. richm2256 says: Feb 12, 2011 5:17 PM

What else is Ryan going to do, criticze Sanchez for not having a normal sexual relationship?

Pot meets kettle.

30. jc1958cool says: Feb 12, 2011 5:25 PM

his shoulders are broad but something else must not be if he has to go for a tight one!!! lol

31. mswravens says: Feb 12, 2011 5:26 PM

@SteelTown6 -Really? That’s the one difference? Ben is lucky to play for a team with fans as ignorant as you.

32. commandercornpone says: Feb 12, 2011 5:39 PM

legal/illegal, lets sidestep that for now.

it’s horribly bad judgment. anyone who says otherwise is just a jets homer.

33. hobartbaker says: Feb 12, 2011 5:49 PM

She showed him her birth certificate, he showed her his green card, and the relationship was consumated.

34. hooterdawg says: Feb 12, 2011 5:54 PM

I am guessing that ampats couldn’t get a date with a 17 year old when he was in high school – or even college if he ever got that far. The jealousy over Sanchez dating a hot 17 year old is just dripping from Pat fans. He is doing what his detractors on this site CAN’T do: attract a young, eager, nubile hot chick. She looks like a Jets cheerleader in her pix.

35. crunchyclam says: Feb 12, 2011 5:54 PM

gotta say that lil’ mike has been getting nuts deleting comments lately

36. boblavoie says: Feb 12, 2011 6:18 PM

crunchyclams says:

gotta say that lil’ mike has been getting nuts deleting comments lately
    @@@@@@@
    I totally agree. He has deleted some of my good stuff (I’ve never got offensive) and when I asked why, I got nothing but a standard BS line from one of his flunkies. So, F it – I write very little.
    I think he deleted my stuff because it was better than his!

37. jupe says: Feb 12, 2011 8:26 PM

38 states in usa where under 18 is age of consent. many on this board probably know that first hand. in foreign countries, you don’t want to know what is if u think 17 is young

38. macjacmccoy says: Feb 12, 2011 8:32 PM

Who cares whats Sanchez 23? I see no problem with him going on a date with a 17 year old. I dont care if he bangs her shes old enough to make her decisions imo. It should only be a problem if the girl is 15 or younger or if shes under 18 and the guy is in a postition of authority over her or has 10+ years on her. Other then that no big deal.

39. macjacmccoy says: Feb 12, 2011 8:37 PM

I had friend who was 16 and was dating a 13 year old. The parents were fine with it but when he was 20 and she was 17 she got pregnant. The parents got pissed and had him arrested. He ended up doing a year and a day in prison. After he got out they got married and have been together for the last 7 or so years.

Now there is seriously something wrong with the law if that could happen to someone.

40. emmonsh says: Feb 12, 2011 8:41 PM

its funny no mention that he was involved with assaulting a girl at usc. no charges came but he looks like a real loser.

41. goldtoothbiscuits says: Feb 12, 2011 8:46 PM

Sanchez blows. I wouldn’t be surprised if NYJ sent him packing. Plug anyone into the Jets offense and they wouldn’t miss a beat. Hell Jake Locker would be just as good!

42. steeelfann says: Feb 12, 2011 9:19 PM

Yes, the girl that he was charged with rape against at USC………wasn’t she younger also?

43. nesuperfan says: Feb 12, 2011 10:27 PM

Anabolic just purchased the rights to name the Jets’ stadium…Mrs. Ryan made the announcement while surrounded by all the black members (pun intended) of the Jets’ team.

44. hooterdawg says: Feb 13, 2011 2:27 AM

Pretty Boy Brady knocked up his gf and then dumped her…making her a single mom…I suppose that is a legal thing to do, but it’s far worse than Sanchez dating a 17 year old girl a couple of times. Twenty-something guys dating teenage chicks happens all the time, but the gals usually don’t run to Deadspin to brag about it.

45. croydcrenson says: Feb 13, 2011 9:05 AM

I read in several articles that Sanchez met her at a NY nightclub. Was she even asked if she let Sanchez know she was under age? I’m sure she told her correct age to gain entry into the nightclub (with sarcasm). I haven’t read any article confirming that he knew she was only 17 years old. This interlude keeps being labeled in news articles as a “relationship” but then when you read further it seems they MAY have hooked up once or twice. I certainly don’t condone this kind of conduct if he knew her age, but is it possible that he thought she was of age by her being in the nightclub in the first place? I’m curious to hear if there was any vagueness about this fact before I pile on the guy.

46. yutznut says: Feb 14, 2011 10:46 AM

USC Quarterback Sanchez Free on Bail

USC quarterback Mark Sanchez was free on bail Thursday, a day after he was arrested at his apartment on suspicion that he sexually assaulted a female student.

Really, you guys are surprised?