Eagles want to simplify defense

J. Castillo

Former Eagles defensive coordinator Sean McDermott essentially tried to run a version of Jim Johnson’s old defense.  With long-time offensive line coach Juan Castillo now running the show and defensive line coach Jim Washburn on board, what is the new Eagles defense going to look like?

The buzzword in Philadelphia is simplicity.  The team wants to pare down and simplify a defense that apparently confused many of the players.

“We’re trying to cut some things back and make it easier for the guys to understand what we want them to do,” new cornerbacks coach Johnnie Lynn told Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Washburn and Lynn are veteran defensive coaches that will help to ease Castillo into his new position.  Washburn spoke about using defensive end Trent Cole far less in coverage.  Castillo talked about building his defense to complement the pressure Washburn’s line brings.

Safety coach Mike Zordich said McDermott was a “little tight” and hinted responsibilities would be more spread out under Castillo.  More than anything, Castillo seems to want to focus on fundamentals and attitude.

“I think when Jim Johnson was here they had his personality,” Castillo said. “I felt with my linemen that we were aggressive, that we were tough, that we were physical, that we finished everything, and that we tried to choke people. You know, be physical.”

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Eagles want to simplify defense”
  1. assnfootball says: Feb 13, 2011 5:43 PM

If their defense is simple does that mean offenses would be able to pick them apart easily?

2. smartestmanalive says: Feb 13, 2011 6:36 PM

Enough about Philly this offseason…I’m sure next season will end like every other season has for them….without a ring.

3. axespray says: Feb 13, 2011 6:36 PM

oh they could get a DT or two and another guy to tag team with Asante Samuel….and maybe a playmaking linebacker….

Trent Cole & Samuel can’t carry the whole D.

4. cletusvandam says: Feb 13, 2011 6:45 PM

I guess giving the coordinator job to an offensive line coach isn’t working out so well

5. dbellina says: Feb 13, 2011 6:54 PM

They probably had to simplify it so their offensive line, I mean defensive coordinator, could understand it.

6. roceagles says: Feb 13, 2011 7:01 PM

Castillo wants a lesson on choking? Talk to Vick for a literal explanation and watch McNabb in the Super Bowl for figurative explanation.

7. wydok says: Feb 13, 2011 7:14 PM

Almost sounds like Castillo wants to truly Coordinate. In other words: It’s going to be defense by committee.

I think I might be OK with that.

8. bleedgreen says: Feb 13, 2011 7:15 PM

The thing that happened was, Cincy wanted to talk to Castillo about being the O-Coord. Juan is loyal to Andy Reid and essentially said “I need a promotion, or I am going to leave.” They trumped him into D-Coord even though Washburn is essentially the D-Coord. Castillo is simply a manager between the line, linebacker and secondary coaches and I don’t believe he will do anything than evaluate the plans the other 3 come up with.

9. Canyonero says: Feb 13, 2011 7:37 PM

Well yeah, they want the Defensive Coordinator to be able to understand it!

10. sufferingbirdsfan says: Feb 13, 2011 7:50 PM

I love how McDermott got throw under the bus here. How about the fact that we’re still looking for Brian Dawkins’ replacement 3 years later? Or that Dmitri Patterson is not an NFL corner? Or that the front four is too small to handle any half way decent O-line? And don’t get me started on the linebackers! You could bring Dick LeBeau in here and he couldn’t coach this up. Yeah, the D was to complicated, that’s the problem…

11. Canyonero says: Feb 13, 2011 8:00 PM

Oops that was done, my bad

I’m looking forward to how this coaching transition turns out. If it WORKS, we’ll have to give Andy Reid his due. Didn’t think the McNabb-Kolb-Vick thing would work out, and it did.

12. indyeagle says: Feb 13, 2011 10:09 PM

The Eagles D needed three things last year, a corner, a linebacker, a attitude.

This defense played with no swagger, no killer instinct, no attitude. We needed a coach with attitude to bring this unit together. Coaching defense isn’t rocket science, it’s getting guys in the right position to make plays….

13. eaglelover1 says: Feb 13, 2011 11:30 PM

“The Eagles D needed three things last year, a corner, a linebacker, a attitude”

actually those 3 things were a DT that makes plays and a CB and a WiLL.

14. Burritto says: Feb 14, 2011 7:51 AM

Sorry, I can’t read this post because Evan Silva told me that Juan Castillo is a “mumbling, stumbling” man who struggles to communicate and that I should avoid all future “opportunities” to listen to him.