Naanee nailed for public intoxication, resisting arrest

Legedu Naanee

Indiana has become a hotbed of alleged criminal activity for players on AFC West teams who are due to become free agents.

On the same day that Raiders running back Michael Bush was busted for drunk driving, Chargers receiver Legedu Naanee was arrested for public intoxication and resisting arrest, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Naanee reportedly came upon at active crime scene in Indianapolis early Saturday morning, and police detected a “strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on or about his breath or person.”  He alleged asked the officer why he was being “such an [expletive].”

After several unsuccessful attempts to persuade Naanee to leave the scene, Naanee was informed he had been placed under arrest.

And then, of course, he tried to leave.  A blast of pepper spray later, Naanee was cuffed.

“Do you know who I am?” Naanee said.  “I am an NFL player and I’m going to sue your ass.”

Ah, yes.  The old “do you know who I am?” card.  Works every time.  Especially for players that no one knows who they are.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Naanee nailed for public intoxication, resisting arrest”
  1. romoscollarbone says: Feb 14, 2011 8:27 PM

I could be Bill Gates, and it would still be…”yes sir, no sir, thank you sir” as long as you do that, Cops aren’t out to get ya. These guys are so dumb, its amazing.

2. cibolomatt says: Feb 14, 2011 8:27 PM

If you have to ask somebody who you are, they don’t know and surely don’t care.

3. db105 says: Feb 14, 2011 8:27 PM

What a beauty!

4. skoobyfl says: Feb 14, 2011 8:29 PM

I wonder if he said “I’m a Millionaire?”, only a Buffalo Bills player could pull that line out.

5. greg5green says: Feb 14, 2011 8:32 PM

“Did you remember to let them know you are worth millions?” — Ko Simpson (formerly of the Buffalo Bills)

6. heyooooh says: Feb 14, 2011 8:32 PM

And here I thought Turd Watch would go the way of the DoDo bird.

7. tantrim says: Feb 14, 2011 8:32 PM

I am sure those hardcore Charger fans will forgive him.

What will happen when the NFL players don’t have a contract? These conceded, spoiled and pampered fools need to spend a few months in jail.

8. timegambit says: Feb 14, 2011 8:33 PM

Told him to leave and he wouldn’t. Told him to stay and he tried to leave.

Tell me these pro athlete’s don’t remind you of spoiled children.

Did he pull on his testicles and fill his pants after being cuffed, just to get the cop to feel sorry for him, as well?

9. stoutfiles says: Feb 14, 2011 8:35 PM

“Do you know who I am?” only works for the Juggernaut.

But seriously, I hope this kid doesn’t turn into another Chris Henry.

10. cletusvandam says: Feb 14, 2011 8:35 PM

No one knows who he is, not even Charger fans

11. hooterdawg says: Feb 14, 2011 8:39 PM

WTF is in Indy? A great bar scene?

12. geeeeemen says: Feb 14, 2011 8:41 PM

so this idiot was drunk in public and voluntarily walked over to a crime scene, called the officer an a-hole, didnt leave the scene when asked, then…

Why am i even piecing this together? Naane is an idiot.

13. thetooloftools says: Feb 14, 2011 8:43 PM

Just remember… law enforcement put “bounties” on fellow cops who bust athletes.
    Don’t kid yourself.
    It means justice has thinner skin sometimes.
    That is all I’m saying.

14. youboettcha says: Feb 14, 2011 8:54 PM

He did this like three weeks too soon. Now he’s going to get a one game suspension.

15. blizzard01 says: Feb 14, 2011 8:59 PM

Naanee, Naanee boo boo.

16. hobartbaker says: Feb 14, 2011 9:00 PM

The arresting expletive kept asking him to give his real name. They still don’t believe it’s Legedu Nanee. And they’ve seen everything.

17. imsmartyouarenot says: Feb 14, 2011 9:09 PM

“Don’t you know who I am?” – This line works in so many situations. Let’s name a few…
    1. As you are being arrested.
    2. After a female has the nerve to say “no” to your unwanted advances in a bar.
    3. Trying to get a table in a resturant that is booked.

18. vanderwerf says: Feb 14, 2011 9:16 PM

Dear A.J. Smith

I’m Sorry buddy old pal…:)

19. christhefish says: Feb 14, 2011 9:19 PM

Here’s the follow-up to this story for tomorrow. I wrote it for you, Mike.

Nannee would like to apologize… blah, blah, blah, this was an isolated incident… blah, blah, blah, wants to be a positive role model for the kids… blah, blah, blah, is involved in charity work… blah, blah, blah, out of character… etc, etc, etc, yawn.

20. marvsleezy says: Feb 14, 2011 9:21 PM

Sad thing is, a lot of people who grow up poor really do believe that rich people have a secret handshake that can get them out of anything . It’s just plain ignorance

21. ny82jy says: Feb 14, 2011 9:31 PM

Thank god he’s not on the jets othewise there would be 100 negative comments and about 3different articles for the week on here

22. profootballwalk says: Feb 14, 2011 9:34 PM

Brother needs to lose a couple of vowels.

23. egls7 says: Feb 14, 2011 9:39 PM

More like nfl scrub

24. lewsblues says: Feb 14, 2011 9:41 PM

“Do you know who I am?” Naanee said.

an idiot …………..

25. smacklayer says: Feb 14, 2011 9:45 PM

@thetooloftools:

“Just remember… law enforcement put “bounties” on fellow cops who bust athletes.”

I think you are the fool. I was a patrol officer in Denver and a detective Las Vegas. There are no bounties or any BS like that. You have no idea what you are talking about and making such an ignorant statement just shows you are a typical DB.

When cops are dealing with a crime scene, they LAST thing they want to do is arrest a bystandard. They are just trying to get the job done there and having to deal with an assh0le like this is just going to piss them off. I gurantee no other cop now has a bounty for this officer who did this. Grow up.

26. airwaymanagement says: Feb 14, 2011 9:46 PM

this guy is just plain stupid. need more evidence that most NFL players are dumb thugs who talk a lot of trash and waste their money on gold rings/chains/wheels/teeth?

27. 7pints says: Feb 14, 2011 9:57 PM

You catch a few balls in the NFL and you instantly see yourself as someone who is above the law. I love the general attitude of these guys. Get down on your knees and thank God you can play football. Otherwise you would be serving the folks on their way to the game their Egg McMuffin.

28. whatevnfl says: Feb 14, 2011 9:58 PM

Upon hearing the report, Coach Turner asked, “Who’s that?”

29. duanethomas says: Feb 14, 2011 10:03 PM

Legedu means Boss in a Nigerian language. He didn’t want to be bossed around, stay or leave no one and I mean no one tell’s the Boss what to do. Except Mr Taser, then he got those magic 3 words before being put in the back of the cruiser….”watch ya head”. Dummy.

30. theservice10 says: Feb 14, 2011 10:13 PM

“Yes I know who you are. You’re the guy I took a flyer on in week 2 hoping you’d fill in for Vincent Jackson. Instead, I cut your unproductive ass two weeks later. Does Naanee mean “cant catch”?

31. falstaff1962 says: Feb 14, 2011 10:17 PM

What I find interesting is that this is the third or fourth NFL player arrested in the last couple weeks for being an idiot. Funny how we never hear about those rogue baseball players. And don’t give me the excuse that football is a violent sport and so it has more thugs. How many NHL guys have been arrested in the past month?

32. goodjet says: Feb 14, 2011 10:18 PM

I’m really still just trying to figure out — Who I am

33. svenhoek86 says: Feb 14, 2011 10:19 PM

This story was hilarious.

Thank you dumb ass pro athletes for providing at least one good story a week.

34. getweird4u says: Feb 14, 2011 10:24 PM

Do you know who i am?……
    Uhhhhhhhh leg.a.doo. huh how do you sit down and decide on legedu

35. ttommytom says: Feb 14, 2011 10:27 PM

Romocollerbone is correct. That works every time. Better yet, don’t get close to a crime scene.

thetoolytool: Um…no. Athletes get over all the time. In fact regular people get over all the time. You have to really try hard to get arrested for what he got arrested for. Took effort.

Besides, who pays the bounty? Cops are the cheapest people on the planet. You the last one to know this? Just sayin…moron.

36. dcpatfan says: Feb 14, 2011 10:42 PM

Hmmm, Lets see….Your Black. You happen upon a crime scene. In Indianapolis. What part of this scenario could possibly add up any other way?

37. paul82461 says: Feb 14, 2011 11:01 PM

Even if its pronounced correctly his name sounds like a slur. If that was my name Id drink too.

38. hobartbaker says: Feb 14, 2011 11:32 PM

Legedu told the cops he was a personal friend of the former Finance Minister of Nigeria, and they were never going to get the millions delivered to their bank accounts now.

39. nothimagain says: Feb 14, 2011 11:45 PM

Athletes from the Seattle area are taught to say exactly what Legedu said due to the wild west mentality of area law enforcement officers.
    The sue threat is scientifically proven to result in the suspect receiving a stomping or sucker punch whereas the absence of a lawsuit threat means a 50% chance the suspect will be shot.

Legedu is from Portland so he probably knows what’s going on.

40. footballace says: Feb 15, 2011 1:10 AM

Naanee: Do you know who I am?

Cop: Nope, but I know the place that can find out, here step into my patrol car.

The only people who know this turd are fantasy football players who needed a back to the back up flex player on their roster. As Ron White points out “you cant fix stupid”

41. iced107 says: Feb 15, 2011 2:24 AM

upon entering the police car, Naanee pulled a hammy and will miss 2-4 weeks.

42. baseballstars says: Feb 15, 2011 2:50 AM

Only one side of the story. There are plenty of a–hole cops out there.

43. handlethehandles says: Feb 15, 2011 3:16 AM

hes still one more issue away from asking me what pump I pumped gas on…..

BTW
    dcpatfan says:
    Feb 14, 2011 10:42 PM

“””” why add a crappy race joke to this… come on man.. really… this guy is dumb all on his own lets not drag other crap into it… this is all about ego and nothing about race

44. rcunningham says: Feb 15, 2011 3:44 AM

In other news, THE ROCK RETURNED

45. joetoronto says: Feb 15, 2011 5:34 AM

He should have asked how many Super Bowls the Chargers have won, that would have been easy.

46. philriverslovespenis says: Feb 15, 2011 6:58 AM

smacklayer says:
    Feb 14, 2011 9:45 PM
    @thetooloftools:

————————————————–
    Wtf is a bystandard?

47. chapnastier says: Feb 15, 2011 7:31 AM

dcpatfan says: Feb 14, 2011 10:42 PM

____________________________________

Sooner or later some idiot would have to comment. I’m sure disrupting a crime scene and then acting like an overall jackass had less to do with this then the color of his skin.

48. jc1958cool says: Feb 15, 2011 7:50 AM

if you look back at turd watch, i think the longest without incident is 18 days! so there will be another soon, ODDS are!lol

49. jc1958cool says: Feb 15, 2011 7:52 AM

do you know who i am? yea your the idiot we just arrested!

50. cmstrick says: Feb 15, 2011 8:39 AM

Ohhhhh….

Camptown ladies sing dis song, Doo-dah! doo-dah!
    Chargers moron got it wrong, Oh, Legedu Naanee!

51. sterilizecromartie says: Feb 15, 2011 8:51 AM

He is my new favorite player!!!

If I had a dime for every time I have wanted to ask a cop why they are being such an (expletive) I would be millionaire. Cops suck. The only difference between them and the criminals is the badge.

And I am a midde aged, college graduate with a family and a house in a small rural town. In other words, I’m not just a thug spouting off because I got arrested a few times.

52. cmstrick says: Feb 15, 2011 9:11 AM

dcpatfan said: Feb 14, 2011 10:42 PM

———————————————-

I can think of one other ending:

Naanee: “What’s going on here?”
    Cop: “Nothing for you to worry about. Please back away.”
    Naanee: “Oh, okay” (leaves)

I dunno… maybe I’m just a racist in denial, but I don’t think his color played much of a role here…

53. MTLighthouse69 says: Feb 15, 2011 10:20 AM

tantrim says: Feb 14, 2011 8:32 PM: Said:”

I am sure those hardcore Charger fans will forgive him.”

You would be wrong. I am a hardcore Charger fan, and I have no use for that nonsense. As far as I am concerned, the Chargers can dump Nanee and VJ hopefully via trade.

Just because you might be an enabling weasel of a fan that defends everything your favorite players/team does, that doesn’t mean everyone else is.

54. arbiterflick says: Feb 15, 2011 10:31 AM

Before this happened the Chargers had to consider what to do with 28 total free agents this offseason.

That number is now 27.