Rae Carruth loses appeal

Rae_Carruth

Former Panthers receiver Rae Carruth has lost an appeal of his conviction for plotting to murder his pregnant girlfriend.

Carruth’s appeal was based on the trial court’s decision to admit evidence of certain statements made by his girlfriend, Cherica Adams, before she died. Although Adams never got out of the hospital after Carruth arranged for her to be gunned down, she did live long enough to make a 911 call implicating Carruth, to write a note to a police officer saying she suspected Carruth, and to nod her head yes when an officer asked if she thought Carruth was behind the shooting.

In today’s ruling (PDF here), the appeals court referred to Adams’ statements as “an extremely powerful first-hand account of the crime by the victim herself.” The appeals court did say that some of Adams’ statements to police should not have been admitted, but it called those statements “mere drops in the sea of evidence offered by the State to show Carruth’s guilt.”

In 2001 Carruth was sentenced to 18 to 24 years in prison for conspiracy to commit murder, discharging a firearm into occupied property and using an instrument with intent to destroy an unborn child. He is expected to be released in 2018.

Carruth’s unborn son was severely injured but survived the shooting and is now 11 years old.

The Panthers selected Carruth out of Colorado in the first round of the 1997 NFL draft. He played 22 games in three NFL seasons.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
47 Responses to “Rae Carruth loses appeal”
  1. drexelvol says: Feb 15, 2011 5:40 PM

Hey, Oakland may need a receiver in 2018.

2. sean6886 says: Feb 15, 2011 5:42 PM

Good. This murdering scumb@g needs to stay behind bars.

3. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Feb 15, 2011 5:44 PM

What a dope. Rot in peace dude. Just think of all the trouble a rubber could have saved you.

4. rudy112 says: Feb 15, 2011 5:44 PM

Loser should rot in jail.

5. coachstram says: Feb 15, 2011 5:51 PM

Stay where you are, you POS.

6. stinkfingers says: Feb 15, 2011 5:52 PM

Rot in prison, scumbag.

7. skoobyfl says: Feb 15, 2011 5:53 PM

Shame about all of this, really a shame.

8. theseaward says: Feb 15, 2011 6:01 PM

What an idiot. Rot in jail Rae Rae.

9. sirsupersouthern says: Feb 15, 2011 6:01 PM

I hope that kid doesn’t know who his real dad is…

10. montymontana15 says: Feb 15, 2011 6:02 PM

well I guess you wont let me say what a piece of crap this idiot is. He should be executed. You dont want no baby, dont screw or use a condom.

11. rectumnearlykilledem says: Feb 15, 2011 6:07 PM

I don’t know. I bet he appeals to the Jets front office.

12. kingjoe1 says: Feb 15, 2011 6:13 PM

It is disgusting how our society puts so little value on a life. This guys will be out of prison before the end of this decade and probably have a good 35 or more years of life left. Murder should be life in prison or death. 18 to 24 years is absurd for wretched person such as Carruth. He murdered a pregnant woman, because he could not handle it.

13. oldcracker says: Feb 15, 2011 6:14 PM

Does Ms. Adams get to appeal her death…no? Then why should he get to appeal his sentence?

Prison is too good for this p.o.s. Maybe the CIA can practice their water-boarding techiniques on him…at least get some use out of this tax burden.

14. getweird4u says: Feb 15, 2011 6:15 PM

suddenly cromartie doesnt seem so bad.

15. heyooooh says: Feb 15, 2011 6:26 PM

I don’t get how this wasn’t a life sentence, at a minimum. 18 years for murdering someone? Even if he didn’t pull the trigger, he hired the hitmen.

16. wallycox says: Feb 15, 2011 6:26 PM

This piece of crap makes me sick. He and OJ are the two biggest pieces of crap to ever play in the NFL . Seeing his picture on this article has just made me “blow my lunch”

17. reallionnaire says: Feb 15, 2011 6:27 PM

man, this cat….we really shouldn’t even have to talk about him….Do your time man, do your time.

18. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Feb 15, 2011 6:39 PM

And I thought Yatil Green was a bad pick.

19. commandercornpone says: Feb 15, 2011 6:39 PM

i bet he hasnt lost his appeal to his fellow inmates.

20. joetoronto says: Feb 15, 2011 6:43 PM

Why waste money on this bag of crap by leaving him in jail?

Anything more than the price of a single bullet is a waste.

21. hobartbaker says: Feb 15, 2011 6:45 PM

Rae has no appeal. I mean, look at the guy.

22. catman72 says: Feb 15, 2011 6:48 PM

Here’s a Panthers fan hoping you rot in prison and burn in hell for what you did.

23. 11inthebox says: Feb 15, 2011 6:56 PM

Well, the good thing is Carruth is getting all the (well deserved) vitriol from readers.

And the reaction to today’s Michael Vick story is actually reasonable. Good to see that. I was worried that a lot of folks couldn’t differentiate between the two men or their crimes.

24. beltmerica says: Feb 15, 2011 6:57 PM

Maybe he’ll get some due justice in prison…

25. CowboyErik says: Feb 15, 2011 7:08 PM

While a crime against another human is considered illegal and even punishable by death in our society, everything on this planet is a lifeform, including dogs and cats; while my heart goes out to that poor girl and that child; I see Carruth and VICK in the same light. Both bastards that deserve to be beaten to death, electricuted to death and tortured to death; yet one is barely in jail for a quarter century and the other is free making millions. Insane world. Panther fans F’off; you had alot of nerver showing up at the playoff game in Charlotte versus Dallas in prison uniforms protesting Michael Irvin. Man is a saint compared to your Satan. I have personally pissed on your stadium walls and will do so again.

26. beastofeden says: Feb 15, 2011 7:16 PM

He was still a better receiver than Dwayne Jarrett.

27. tebowsgonnagitya says: Feb 15, 2011 7:29 PM

Another stellar CU character guy

28. righthereisay says: Feb 15, 2011 7:46 PM

If I were him I would kill myself. I could never live with my son being disabled because I tried to kill him when he was in his Mom.

I guess we are lucky he is in jail and has to live with himself. If he were put to death that would be too easy.

29. thenewwisewoo says: Feb 15, 2011 7:53 PM

Hate the Panthers Week…Tuesday Over….5 more days…

30. nicksabansanahole says: Feb 15, 2011 8:01 PM

@cowboyerik I agree that Carruth is a waste of air, however you should have more class than to piss on stadium walls. LOL. You are an idiot cowboy fan. Nobody will take you seriously with statements like that. Stay Classy.

31. tfbuckfutter says: Feb 15, 2011 8:14 PM

I’d actually like to know more about his 11 year old son.

Does anyone know if they’ve ever profiled him? If he has permanent injuries from the shooting, what his life is like, that sort of thing?

Because that part of the story is pretty amazing.

32. getweird4u says: Feb 15, 2011 8:17 PM

@cowboyerik….really do you beleive that?Not that i condone what vick did he is a thug that is for sure didnt like him before the dogfighting conviction certainly dont like him after but a human pregnant with a child vs. a bunch of dog’s?
    I dont know of any countries that think eating humans is an acceptable practice but there are countries that do eat dogs.I know this is barbaric as well but the peta freaks who really think an animals life is equal to a humans are nuts!Eat more animals (not dogs or cats)

33. pftisbecominglame says: Feb 15, 2011 8:30 PM

Man, what a mind f&^k to be that boy, who’s father tried to kill him. I don’t know a lot about cerebral palsy, so that statement might make no sense.

As for Rae, he has to be one of the best candidates I’ve ever seen for the death penalty. Why should he even get another chance at anything? He ended one life, and virtually another, through his actions and should never see the light of day again.

34. chedberg says: Feb 15, 2011 8:40 PM

Alright inmates, you still have some time left. Let’s give this piece of _____ the appropriate punishment for what he did.

35. 3octaveFart says: Feb 15, 2011 8:44 PM

The Ravens have already circled his release date on their calendar. He’ll fit right in.

36. indycolt45 says: Feb 15, 2011 9:17 PM

Sad. Dude had a lot of talent, and he flushed it all away just because he didn’t want to pay child support. Too bad.

37. yahmule says: Feb 15, 2011 9:28 PM

Amazing. Another Vick defender feels it necessary to chime in with the tired and pitiful Michael-isn’t-as-bad-as-this-guy defense. Look, nobody mentioned your sadistic hero in this thread and being less evil than Rae Carruth is not much to brag about.

38. heyooooh says: Feb 15, 2011 9:29 PM

tfbuckfutter…I saw something a few years ago (not sure which network). If I remember correctly, he was disabled by his injuries prior to birth. The grandma was raising him, & looked like a saint. Couldn’t have been more caring toward the boy.

39. tfbuckfutter says: Feb 15, 2011 10:19 PM

heyooooh says: Feb 15, 2011 9:29 PM

——————————————-

I would assume Grandma Adams (or whatever the maternal grandmother’s surname is)….

Hopefully Captain Assbag up there made enough in his brief NFL career to sustain whatever needs the boy has (and, of course, his other non-disabled children)…..

It pisses me off to no end to see people damaged by others’ actions, and find themselves not adequately provided for.

40. panther17 says: Feb 15, 2011 10:27 PM

Only time this guy deserves making the news is when his obituary makes the paper. Please ban him from future posts on your site. We don’t want to hear anything about him.

41. JimmySmith says: Feb 15, 2011 10:32 PM

once a receiver, always a receiver, just ask his cell mate husband, Leroy.

42. jhorton83 says: Feb 15, 2011 11:20 PM

Good. He’s a waste of oxygen. The fact that he’s already due to be out of prison at the age of 44 after ending that woman’s life is a joke in and of itself.

43. jhorton83 says: Feb 15, 2011 11:40 PM

tfbuckfutter says:
    Feb 15, 2011 8:14 PM
    I’d actually like to know more about his 11 year old son.

Because that part of the story is pretty amazing.
    ————————————————————————

Actually, ESPN did a very impressive piece on him a couple years ago. Most of what ESPN puts out is garbage, but occasionally they do have segments that really grab you like this. It’s pretty incredible, especially how the grandmother forgave the remorseful assassin that Carruth hired.

44. samoanjungle says: Feb 15, 2011 11:44 PM

Murderers should never be set free.

45. jimmybrock says: Feb 15, 2011 11:58 PM

I will never say another word about Pacman Jones, Vince Young, or any other NFL player. Carruth is the ultimate scumbag to ever play in the NFL. I hope he rots in prison.

46. waynefontes says: Feb 16, 2011 8:35 AM

getweird4u says:
    Feb 15, 2011 6:15 PM
    suddenly cromartie doesnt seem so bad.

Well played.

47. mackie66 says: Feb 16, 2011 10:12 AM

11inthebox. A person who drowns/electrocutes helpless annimals cant be that far behind Rae Carruth. You gotta love the NFL.