Michael Vick cancels Oprah interview

vick

Michael Vick won’t be sitting on Oprah’s couch after all.

Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that Vick has canceled his planned appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show, meaning what would have been Vick’s highest-profile one-on-one interview since before he went to prison will not be happening.

There’s no word yet on why Vick canceled, but it’s an odd move. When a public figure with a checkered task makes an appointment to visit Oprah, it’s an attempt to open up and show mainstream America that he’s changed for the better.  Scheduling an interview only to cancel it later makes Vick look like he has something to hide.

And while Vick might be concerned about uncomfortable questions regarding his involvement in dog fighting, at this point, everyone knows what Vick did. He’d be better off answering those questions and stressing that he’s trying to move forward with his life than avoiding the questions.

I’ll be interested to hear Vick’s explanation for canceling the interview. And I’ll be curious to hear what Oprah has to say about it.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
25 Responses to “Michael Vick cancels Oprah interview”
  1. dawkinseffect says: Feb 16, 2011 4:35 PM

I think you ment to say “Checkered PAST” not task

2. mmskin says: Feb 16, 2011 4:36 PM

maybe he thought oprah would eat him

3. smacklayer says: Feb 16, 2011 4:39 PM

1. Who cares what Oprah has to say about anything?

2. Who cares what Vick has to say about anything?

3. Who cares about this story?

4. shakenblake1 says: Feb 16, 2011 4:40 PM

he’s going to have hell to pay. you don’t diss the Oprah. by canceling on her after you had already committed.

*Oprah voice* “Oh no you didn’t!!”

5. billygoat says: Feb 16, 2011 4:41 PM

Maybe he just doesn’t want to sit down and talk with someone that annoying.

6. tombrookshire says: Feb 16, 2011 4:41 PM

Probably was requested to cede his right to review the questions prior to the interview, which he certainly refused. A move politicians make.

7. superbowlseahawks says: Feb 16, 2011 4:41 PM

Is it possible he cancelled because she is fat and annoying? That would be a reasonable explanation.

8. flapjack1231 says: Feb 16, 2011 4:44 PM

Who really cares? Apparently it’s worth an article full of someone’s opinion about what he should or should not answer.

9. JMil_ATL says: Feb 16, 2011 4:44 PM

Is it a checkered “task” or checkered “past”? Just wanted to make sure that I haven’t been saying it wrong all these years.

10. tebowsgonnagitya says: Feb 16, 2011 4:44 PM

When a public figure with a checkered task?

11. assnfootball says: Feb 16, 2011 4:46 PM

Yup, It looks like he’s hiding something. I just hope I’m wrong. I like Vick a lot.

Umm, who cares what Oprah has to say?

12. qbcoach9 says: Feb 16, 2011 4:48 PM

Why would he really want to be berated by Oprah about his past? I’d imagine he wants to keep his thoughts positive and not discuss his past anymore and Oprah has no interest in that. Nor does the average America unemployed/housewife/shift available person that watches Oprah. Those people are watching Oprah…probably means they have a lot of cats or pictures of Obama or Jesus on their wall near their collector plates and hidden bottles of liquor. Good decision Mike. Keep doing you and bring a championship back to Philly next season!

13. medtxpack says: Feb 16, 2011 4:50 PM

hes not supposed to be around dogs and he realized Oprah is a b*tch….add menopuase and the fact that her network is tanking….id look for him to score a more prolific and watched show like PFT live, haha

14. hobartbaker says: Feb 16, 2011 4:51 PM

Jail is nothing compared to having that fat nosy ***** in your face.

15. mhassett03 says: Feb 16, 2011 4:53 PM

That’s a shame.

I hear Ron Mexico is going on as a replacement.

16. mattsffrd says: Feb 16, 2011 4:54 PM

i’m pretty sure he doesn’t need to impress a bunch of fat middle-aged liberal housewives

17. macdaddykpr says: Feb 16, 2011 4:57 PM

Free country, love it or leave it! Of course you also have to deal with the consequences of your decisions.

18. breeshasabush says: Feb 16, 2011 5:01 PM

He has to wash Drew Brees’ car that day so Brees made him cancel.

19. Bubby Brister says: Feb 16, 2011 5:01 PM

It’s because Oprah’s “Favorite Things” that day was going to be a year supply of Milkbone Dog Biscuits.

20. deeken19 says: Feb 16, 2011 5:16 PM

Do not waste your time reading this article, it’s complete bulls**t.

The entire story is based on the writer’s unintelligent speculation.

Maybe Vick has another obligation or maybe he flat out changed his mind.

Please don’t try to spark media attention by writing a story w/out basis…loser.

Here is an idea, do your job and find out why he canceled.

Mike Smith, how do you still have a job?

21. wyobroncoboy says: Feb 16, 2011 5:30 PM

I had a “Checkered Vest” when I was young.

22. CeliaSue says: Feb 16, 2011 6:06 PM

could be he canceled because of the comments on O’s site:

23. peytonligermanning says: Feb 16, 2011 6:22 PM

What a dog!!!

24. shurtugal1 says: Feb 16, 2011 6:42 PM

Real dumb move on Vick’s part, but good for the opposition. He’s an idiot to cancel on a sure love fest of an interview. Now maybe more people will start to think that he’s hiding something and “see the light”.

25. MichaelEdits says: Feb 17, 2011 12:18 AM

Dear Oprah, I am available for interviews. My seventh novel was published last month, my eighth will be published next month, and I kiss dogs all the time. And my name is also Michael, I run with the ball, and I throw very badly. I sound like just the guy you want, don’t I?