Ryan Mallett has massive talent, faces many questions

Ryan Mallett, Van Stumon

Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett has first-round talent, according to NFL Network’s Mike Mayock.

“Mallett has unbelievable god given ability to throw a football,” Mayock said on a conference call Thursday.   “When he has a clear pocket, and clear vision, there’s no one in the game better.”

That doesn’t mean Mayock would take Mallett in the first round.

“I would be very concerned about taking him in the first round,” Mayock said.

Mayock didn’t even cite the questions about Mallett’s nebulous off-field issues that some analysts have referred to.  Mayock was more concerned about Mallett’s ability to process information on the field.

“Every time I get excited about this kid, he does something from a decision-making or accuracy perspective that bothers me,” Mayock said.  “When he goes bad, it’s because of pressure in the pocket.”

Ultimately, Mallett sounds like a boom-or-bust pick.  That’s why Mayock wouldn’t take him until the second round.

The history of the NFL draft, however, says that some QB-needy team will convince themselves to take a true first-round talent with their first pick.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Ryan Mallett has massive talent, faces many questions”
  1. captainwisdom8888 says: Feb 17, 2011 4:19 PM

I don’t see poise. I don’t see any swagger. I see Ryan Leaf round 2 if you wanna take this kid in the 1st round.

2. dannymac17 says: Feb 17, 2011 4:25 PM

And with the 5th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select….Ryan Mallet.

3. mmskin says: Feb 17, 2011 4:27 PM

with my luck it will be the skins, he can hang with fat al, please no

4. hobartbaker says: Feb 17, 2011 4:28 PM

Mallett doesn’t always always shine, but strike him with a bolt of lightning and the guy is the bomb.

5. titanup1918 says: Feb 17, 2011 4:28 PM

I just hope the Titans don’t draft him.

His ability to scramble and escape pressure are not good at all and I think you’ve got to have that as an NFL qb.

6. burntorangehorn says: Feb 17, 2011 4:31 PM

I’d take him over Sanchise in a heartbeat.

7. sterilizecromartie says: Feb 17, 2011 4:35 PM

Mallet is a statue with a release slower than Byron Leftwich and an IQ lower than Jamarcus Russel. Avoid.

8. tedskro says: Feb 17, 2011 4:38 PM

Jay Cutler 2.0

9. bigbigodnarb says: Feb 17, 2011 4:43 PM

Ryan Mallett cannot play in the NFL from a physical standpoint. His feet are simply too slow. The defense does not even have to sack him. Make him move from his mark and the play is basically over. Avoid at all costs.

10. hobartbaker says: Feb 17, 2011 4:44 PM

Mayock reveals the tablets from the mountain. One at a time.

11. sterling7 says: Feb 17, 2011 4:50 PM

I am a big-no huge colege football fan. Ryan Mallett has incredible potential. We have a local sprotswriter up here by the name of Bob Sansevere. He made a joke on a local radio station (KQRS) of Ryan Mallett’s last pass against Ohio State as it was an interception. Bob Sansevere said Mallett would fit right in with the Vikings. What Bob Sansevere didn’t say was that early and during the game Ryan Mallett threw some incredible passes that most NFL quarterbacks can’t throw-they were beautiful and extremely impressive……but they were dropped. Ryan Mallett has incrdible potential but he’s got to ask himself, he’s got one chance and does he want to be a Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell, or does he want to be the man that he and many of us know he can be and discipline himself. It won’t be easy but he’s got to realize this is it. At least he has a chance none of us will ever see-take advantage of it!

12. granadafan says: Feb 17, 2011 4:55 PM

If he has that much of question marks in his maturity and inability to lead on the field, why take a chance at all?

13. hobartbaker says: Feb 17, 2011 5:09 PM

The only thing dumber would be a sack full of Mallets.

14. swankybeats says: Feb 17, 2011 5:26 PM

Ryan Mallett is trash, when he was at UofM he loved rolling to the bar with a hoodie & sweatpants smoking a black & mild. I can’t see any team being impressed with his trashy demeanor.

15. Darth Goodell says: Feb 17, 2011 5:33 PM

Mayock is being polite in saying Mallett has trouble with “decision-making”. What he means is that Mallett is dumb as a brick. Watch some of Mallett’s interviews, the guy can’t put together a coherent sentence.

Being bigger and stronger than everyone else will let you excel in college, but if you can’t learn NFL offense and defense you’ll be a clown in the pros. See “Russell, JaMarcus”.

16. medtxpack says: Feb 17, 2011 5:43 PM

people have drafted bigger busts with more hype anyway….

17. d3murf says: Feb 17, 2011 5:45 PM

I have watched 95% of Mallett’s games (Including @ Michigan) I think that people are under-rating him. I keep hearing comparisons to Byron Leftwich and Ryan Leaf. Both are inaccurate. The fair comparison is to that of “Drew Bledsoe”.

His ability to process Info can be better–and his footwork as well. That’s what coaching is for! Dude can sling the ball and make throws that most can’t. He has Two full yrs of starting–and can be coached up to move around in the pocket better. Tom Brady is not an athtlete but can avoid pressure possibly better than anyone in the league. Go look at some of the throws in that Miss. State game! Dude can thread a needle. I think most of the backlash has to do with the way he talks and carries himself.

I told you guys that “Matt Ryan” was going to be the truth. I said a long time ago “Arron Rodgers” had the most talent in the league. I’m Officially co-signing Ryan Mallet! Follow me on twitter @d3murf for some real Football talk regardless of team…

18. jakeblues68 says: Feb 17, 2011 5:47 PM

I hate the phrase “god-given talent”. Mainly because I am a raging Atheist.

19. jimmysee says: Feb 17, 2011 5:48 PM

Jamarcus Russell part deux.

Obvious pick for the Vikings.

20. oldbyrd says: Feb 17, 2011 5:50 PM

Overated at best

21. whatswiththehate says: Feb 17, 2011 6:19 PM

Hmmmm…the last time I checked this was the NFL,not a Monastery. What’s with all these analysts and sports writers worried about “off the course issue.” Who the heck died and left these jerks in the sporting world gate-keepers of the NFL. What they feel if they screen these kids now, they won’t have some bones in their closet later????SMH..
    ——————-
    lostsok says:
    Jan 7, 2011 10:41 PM
    So, let me get this straight. Mallet got drunk as a freshman…and that’s a career killer.

Cam “Show My Dad The Money” Newton can buy stolen property, cheat on tests, take money to play amateur (yeah, he didn’t know what his dad was doing…suuuuuure), and that’s just groovy?

The world has gone mad.
    —————————————-
    There was no money exchanged, so the NCAA simply don’t care. Ur accusations is nothing more than media fodder. Like u never bought a hot item off the street. I’m sure most folks by them dvds and cds off the street..Guess what, they are STOLEN. And the cheating part, name a student who has NEVER cheated in school of any level..I will laugh at u right now to save u the trouble of trying to appear perfect.

Both these kids are in COLLEGE…

22. emossome84 says: Feb 17, 2011 6:22 PM

@jimmysee

How many Viking bashing accounts do you have on here? I can only assume you are JimmySmith also because your comments are always the exact same. You need to get a life dude, unless where you come from it’s cool to make multiple accounts on a blog, where you make the same same comments ripping the same team over and over. Not where I come from though..

23. pudgalvin says: Feb 17, 2011 6:31 PM

@sterling7:

Totally agree. Only watched him a few times this year, but he made a few ridiculously nice passes in that Sugar Bowl game. He’s got the arm and the build of an NFL QB, which generally translates to getting drafted sooner rather than later. Like everyone else, he’d be better off getting drafted by a better team, but I wouldn’t complain if my team needed a QB and picked after 15 or so, though the only logical landing points right now outside the top ten are probably the Vikings, Jags, Dolphins, or Seahawks.

24. cereal blogger says: Feb 17, 2011 6:39 PM

I like this kid, he put up great #’s in AAA (the SEC). Put him in the right system & he could be a stud…Given his up side, I think he’s well worth a #1. I wouldnt be surprised if he goes top 10 before its all said & done….QB’s with that kind of size & arm strength go early

25. schmitty2 says: Feb 17, 2011 6:39 PM

The 2nd coming of Ryan Leaf

26. cylondetector says: Feb 17, 2011 7:10 PM

Hey HobartBaker,

You know those guys who are so unfunny…they come right out the other end of the spectrum and actually end up being funny?

You aren’t one of those.

27. hobartbaker says: Feb 17, 2011 7:10 PM

Mirriam Webster had the definitive scouting report on Mallet – “bigger than a hammer, with a long, thin body, and a very large head made of wood.”.

28. ottomanismydog says: Feb 17, 2011 7:16 PM

this is a real shame because of his ability to throw the ball down field. is there an attitude problem? was in never told “no” as a kid?

i’d take the dennis dixon approach – draft him and see if he can develop behind a franchise qb

29. jimmysee says: Feb 17, 2011 7:37 PM

emossome84 says:
    Feb 17, 2011 6:22 PM
    @jimmysee

How many Viking bashing accounts do you have on here?

————————————————————-

Only one. The Vikings are such an easy target. Like picking the low hanging fruit.

30. FinFan68 says: Feb 17, 2011 7:39 PM

I hope he does well, but it is real hard to fix “stupid”

31. kcjohnson2 says: Feb 17, 2011 8:59 PM

I feel bad for the team that picks this kid.

The absolute most important characteristic a quarterback can have is intelligence.

Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees…all incredibly smart players.

Also look at Mike Vick. He didn’t apply himself early in his career and suffered because of it. Now he has dedicated himself to studying and learning the tape and is outperforming his old self.

Mallett isn’t willing to or capable of learning an NFL offense.

He’s not a top ten talent and you won’t see a non-bottom ten team take a chance on this kid until at least the second round.

32. dwight123 says: Feb 17, 2011 9:46 PM

Welcome to Miami Ryan,glad to have you on board! (=

33. fumblenuts says: Feb 18, 2011 1:40 AM

This Goober brain sounds like Gomer Pyle in a football uniform.

Pass on this dude.