As Bob Sanders says goodbye, time to look ahead

Bob Sanders

A few quick thoughts on Bob Sanders’ release, before we get to statements made by Sanders:

1. The only surprise here was the timing of the release.  Making the move in mid-February indicates the two sides weren’t remotely close on reworking Sanders’ contract, which his representatives knew was coming.

So the two sides disagreed quite a bit on Sanders’ value.  Perhaps the Colts want Sanders to see what he can get on the open market — it may not be much.  Indianapolis may ultimately still have the best offer for him.

2. Cutting Sanders now actually does him a favor because he has the free agent market almost to himself.  (He can chill with Shaun Rogers.)  Sanders said goodbye Friday with a lot of respect for the team that drafted him.

“I want to thank Mr. Irsay for the opportunity to play with the Colts,” said Sanders.  “I appreciate all he and the organization did for me throughout my career, and I always will consider myself a Colt.  I want to thank the fans also for their great support.  They played a big part in making my seven years with the team very rewarding.”

There still should be interest in Sanders elsewhere, if only on a low-risk short-term deal.

Leslie Frazier coached Sanders in Indianapolis and could have some interest.   Ron Meeks, who coached Sanders a long time, is now in Carolina.  (That may not be a great fit though.)  ESPN’s Paul Kuharksy suggests the rest of the AFC South should show interest.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
22 Responses to “As Bob Sanders says goodbye, time to look ahead”
  1. panther17 says: Feb 18, 2011 1:09 PM

For the right money and contract, I would be up with Sanders working with Meeks again. Definitely would have to be a contract with performance based pay escalators. We already have 2 maybe 3 promising safeties, Jordan Pugh being the maybe, but Sanders for the right money would be a worthwhile gamble.

2. medialovesthecowboys says: Feb 18, 2011 1:18 PM

“I want to thank Mr. Irsay for the opportunity to play with the Colts,” said Sanders. “I appreciate all he and the organization did for me throughout my career, and I always will consider myself a Colt. I want to thank the fans also for their great support. They played a big part in making my seven years with the team very rewarding.”
    ——————————————————

Now Rosenthal, how are you going to create drama out of that?

3. ruvelligwebuike says: Feb 18, 2011 1:21 PM

No chance he’s a Viking. He’s not old enough or expensive enough. But they’d probably sign him if they could give the Colts a few draft picks just for good measure.

4. mike83ri says: Feb 18, 2011 1:29 PM

Lions?

5. vadog says: Feb 18, 2011 1:34 PM

It’s really too bad that Sanders could not stay healthy. Had he, I think you would be talking about him in the same manner as Palomaulu and some of the all-time great safeties. Unless he can stay healthy and produce well for 4 or 5 seasons, his career will always be described by a lot of “if only” statements.

I wish him the best. I think he’s a fine player (when healthy) and he seems like a classy guy.

6. vercingetorix43 says: Feb 18, 2011 2:25 PM

Always disappointing when injury’s ruin something for someone that seemed to have so much potential. Hopefully he can put up a few good seasons elsewhere.

7. mikebrownmakesmefrown says: Feb 18, 2011 2:43 PM

We can use him in Cincinnati. My grandma would be an upgrade over Tom Nelson.

8. jgreer518 says: Feb 18, 2011 2:44 PM

If he can work extra hard to stay healthy, I would like to see him trade in that Colts blue for Titans blue! Tennessee has a history of bringing in former Colts players :)

9. ghostrider25 says: Feb 18, 2011 2:55 PM

Apparently, ‘s’ova for ‘s’ova.

10. cthunder67 says: Feb 18, 2011 3:09 PM

My Seahawks could use him.

11. contract says: Feb 18, 2011 3:22 PM

His problem is that he hits too hard for his size. Sanders is about 5’8 & 210 lbs, but he hits like he’s 240 lbs. He’s a one man wrecking crew. If he could tone it down some and move back to free safety, he may have a few years left.

12. hnirobert3 says: Feb 18, 2011 3:23 PM

Welcome to Miami, where DB’s come to die.

13. cardz24 says: Feb 18, 2011 3:24 PM

Crdinals should pick him up and move Adrian Wilson to LB. Wilson is scary around the line of scrimmage and could always move back if sanders gets hurt. If the cards draft Von Miller that would be a sweet LB crew in the Desert.

14. boysroll says: Feb 18, 2011 3:24 PM

welcome to americas team bob….You wanna win a couple of SB’s with us jump on the train my man. I predict 3 SB’s for the boys this yr.

team of the decade hands down.

15. therealjimmysmith says: Feb 18, 2011 3:32 PM

Even with his injury history, I wouldn’t mind him in Minny.
    Seven games of Bob Sanders is better than 16 games of Tyrell Johnson.

16. da11ascowboys says: Feb 18, 2011 3:47 PM

Dallas better jump on this quick! Take a chance on him!

17. jluttrell32 says: Feb 18, 2011 4:00 PM

Maybe an offer from long time rival, the Jacksonville Jaguars. They haven’t had a hard hitting safety or hard hitting anything on defense since the departure of Donavan Darius. Plus the Jags haven’t shied away from signing players via free agency with a history of injuries.

18. yamchargers says: Feb 18, 2011 4:03 PM

He makes alot of sense as a Chargers where they seem to be one safety away from a solid secondary. Even with the risk they might want to try it out.

19. radrntn says: Feb 18, 2011 4:22 PM

wow sanders in silver and black playing in the backfield w/nnamdi

20. sufferingbirdsfan says: Feb 18, 2011 4:42 PM

He’s worth an incentive laden non-guaranteed deal. I think he’s just been ridiculously unlucky. Throw a ton of money at Asomugha and bring Sanders in too and the Eagles secondary problems are solved.

21. soaringelvis says: Feb 18, 2011 5:41 PM

Sorry everybody.

This is a classic Belichick reclamation project.

He’ll be in & out of the Pro-Bowl for us over the next 6 years.

Life is good in the Northeast.

22. semperfi24 says: Feb 18, 2011 8:11 PM

After thanking the Colts, Sanders turned and headed for the door, unfortunately he tore a hamstring in the process, fell to the ground, upon landing he sprained a wrist and seperated a shoulder….