Colts working on deals for Vinatieri, Sanders too

Indianapolis Colts place kicker Vinatieri celebrates kicking a field goal against the New York Jets during their AFC Wild Card NFL playoff football game in Indianapolis Reuters

Peyton Manning is clearly priority No. 1 for the Colts over the next few weeks, and it sounds like Indianapolis has already opened negotiations at a reasonable starting point.

Indianapolis wants to accomplish a few other deals before a possible work stoppage.  Owner Jim Irsay indicated that the team has opened contract talks with kicker Adam Vinatieri, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent.

Vinatieri last kick for the Colts was one of the biggest in a mostly steady five-year run with the team.  Using the transition tag could be an option to retain Vinatieri, but it sounds like the team would like to avoid that.

Irsay also revealed the team is hoping to work out a restructured deal with Bob Sanders before March 4.   Sanders’ camp has indicated a willingness and understanding that he would have to take a pay cut after missing most of three straight seasons.

“Before March third, I think we’ll probably have some sense on that direction,” Irsay said. “Again, there’s nothing definitive. We’ve talked through a lot of different scenarios, I can’t say definitively what direction we’re going there.”

UPDATE: Here is Irsay talking on Thursday.  (About Manning.)

UPDATE II: Bob Sanders was cut.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
15 Responses to “Colts working on deals for Vinatieri, Sanders too”
  1. lhaveprettyfeet says: Feb 18, 2011 8:44 AM

I bet Mr. Glass is willing to take a pay cut to keep his job.

2. chapnastier says: Feb 18, 2011 9:02 AM

Bob Sanders is great when healthy but he can’t stay healthy.

3. 11inthebox says: Feb 18, 2011 9:06 AM

@Ihaveprettyfeet:
    Dude. “Mr. Glass?” Really??

So many “tough guys” out there in internet land.

At 5-8, and 190 pounds, Sanders plays with all of his heart and soul. That why his body is beat to crap.

4. sterilizecromartie says: Feb 18, 2011 9:16 AM

I forgot who Bob Sanders was.

5. indywilson40 says: Feb 18, 2011 9:18 AM

if you can sign Sanders for the league minimum and make his contract completely incentive-laden, then go for it. If Sanders demands any other contract, cut ties.

6. lhaveprettyfeet says: Feb 18, 2011 9:32 AM

@11inthebox “So many “tough guys” out there in internet land.”

“Internet tough guy” ???????? Was I threatening him or saying I could do better? No, so shut it.

How many 16 game seasons has Sanders played in his 7-year career? 0

How many seasons out of 7 has Sanders played 6 of 16 games or less? 5 !!!!!!!!!

Sorry if the truth hurts. He is no Iron Man.

If the shoe fits, wear it.

7. indywilson40 says: Feb 18, 2011 9:41 AM

11inthebox, First of all, Bob Sanders weighs 206, not 190. The argument that Sanders gets inured because he plays so hard is ridiculous. The NFL is full of guys that play hard every play and do not get injured every year(see Ray Lewis). Sanders lasted 1 series in the 2010 season. Did 1 series beat his body to crap? I’m a huge Colts fan and love Bob Sanders, but he is made of glass. He would kick my ass and your ass in a fight, but on the NFL field, he is made of glass.

8. bluefan204 says: Feb 18, 2011 9:44 AM

They’ve wasted a roster spot on Sanders for 3 years. While he is great when healthy, THE GUY IS NEVER HEALTHY. Sign him for one year, vet minimum, and load that thing with incentives. If he misses time due to injury, cut ties and move on. It’s getting stupid now. He doesn’t help the team when he’s not on the field.

9. dawkinseffect says: Feb 18, 2011 10:23 AM

wait Bob Sanders still plays in the NFL??? I thought he left after getting injured every five minutes

10. hooterdawg says: Feb 18, 2011 10:32 AM

Sanders is a liability for any defensive coordinator. When planning a scheme, he cannot be relied upon. I don’t know why the Colts even dick around – just cut him.

11. canadianvikingfaniii says: Feb 18, 2011 10:50 AM

Total Possible games he could of played in (exluding playoffs) 107
    He has played in 48 of 107 games. 44.8% he has played in.

If I were Bill Polian, I’d cut my losses and waive this Butterfly.

12. canadianvikingfaniii says: Feb 18, 2011 10:53 AM

*Out of 112, copy and pasted from when regular season was still on.

13. murraysons says: Feb 18, 2011 11:26 AM

idiot just tweeted that they releasedSanders

14. 11inthebox says: Feb 18, 2011 11:26 AM

@indywilson40:

Wow. You make a lot of assumptions there, my man!

Ive met Sanders and seen him up close. He’s 190, if that.

And your argument is still bullcrap. “Staying healthy” is a matter of luck–not toughness or conditioning.

And I stand by my original statement.

15. indywilson40 says: Feb 18, 2011 11:57 AM

11inthebox, No one ever said Sanders isn’t tough. No one said he is not in great physical condition. Implying he is “made of glass” only means he is injury-prone. You seem really confused about that. And the only assumption, my man, that i made is that Sanders would kick your ass. I’ve never met you, but my money is on Sanders, unless you’re one of those “internet tough guys”. Also, do you by chance work at a carnival? If so, you’re terrible at guessing people’s weight. I’ve also seen Sanders up close and he is every bit of 206 pounds, just as he is listed in every roster i’ve seen.