Erik Coleman lands in Detroit

Erik Coleman , Coy Wire

The Falcons released safety Erik Coleman last week.  This week, he has a new team.

Per a league source, the Lions have signed Coleman to a one-year deal.

The move comes two weeks before a possible lockout, which would have kept Coleman from signing with anyone.

Coleman, who’ll turn 29 in May, entered the league in 2004.  After four seasons with the Jets, he joined the Falcons as a free agent.

He fell to the second rung of the depth chart in 2010, setting the stage for his release.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Erik Coleman lands in Detroit”
  1. jimmysee says: Feb 18, 2011 2:23 PM

Got to give the Lions credit — always looking for ways to incrementally improve the talent base of the team.

2. illumination666 says: Feb 18, 2011 2:32 PM

Atlanta will never win a championship..mark my words..

3. evh12345 says: Feb 18, 2011 2:37 PM

Lions, Falcons, and Coleman, Oh My!

4. seanyboynd1 says: Feb 18, 2011 2:45 PM

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss………

5. detroitfootsketball says: Feb 18, 2011 2:59 PM

i guess no bob sanders that cool

6. ocdn says: Feb 18, 2011 3:22 PM

You have to give Mayhew credit for always looking forward with this team……..Does he ever sleep?

7. JMil_ATL says: Feb 18, 2011 3:28 PM

I wish him all the best!! He is still a quality player and seemed to be a great locker room guy. I’ll miss all the “Rollin’ with Coleman” videos on the Falcons webpage.

8. martinmayhew4president says: Feb 18, 2011 4:04 PM

Mayhew is hard at work again!

9. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Feb 18, 2011 4:04 PM

As a Pack fan, I seriously think things are on the upswing for the Lions….and good for them. If Stafford can stay out of the training room, they could seriously make some noise in the coming year plus. I like what they are doing and they really showed some heart last year. Time for another Packers/Lions Thanksgiving game, I think.

All I know is the table is set for the Vikings to be the NFCN bitch……and that’s truly a shame. Or not.

10. 305phinphan says: Feb 18, 2011 4:47 PM

Who?

11. semperfi24 says: Feb 18, 2011 8:08 PM

Any truth to the rumor that he was raped and robbed after signing the contract? Seems to be the typical behavior of the locals in Detroit

12. jmacphee9 says: Feb 19, 2011 2:19 AM

purpleisreallypinkyouknow says:
    Feb 18, 2011 4:04 PM

this post is the truth right here. coming from a lions fan, its nice to see some respect lol. packers lions should be an awesome thanksgiving game for this season, both teams should have healthy records, maybe not division implications but i expect 1 and 2 in the north with the pack not dealing with the superbowl hangover for once, due to the injuries..

13. ocdn says: Feb 19, 2011 2:20 PM

@semperfi24
    What a moronic statement. You stereotype a whole city with your ignorant, uneducated spew. You don’t deserve the proud name you use as your I.D. The Marines are a strong, proud service to this country. And no, idiot, I’m not a native of Detroit. But I know many people from the city who are proud, hard working citizens of this country who live there. If you are a Marine, you do a disservice to the men and women who protect this country without predjudice or vice. I know some of the words I’ve used have more than 2 syllables so you better get help reading this reply.

14. dmobey says: Feb 25, 2011 3:20 PM