Longtime Rams executive John Shaw steps down

J. Shaw

Former Rams president John Shaw’s 31-year employment with the team is over.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Shaw will no longer represent the team at league meetings with Stan Kroenke having taken over majority ownership of the club.

“I’ve known since the sale that it was happening at some point,” Shaw said.

Shaw reportedly remains friends with Kroenke and former majority owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez, who still own 31% of the team.   Shaw was pivotal in moving the team from Los Angeles.

“This was a joint decision by Stan and myself,” Shaw said. “Stan provided me an opportunity to stay on if I so chose. But I just thought that this was a good time to do this.  . . . I really tried to do this gracefully and without any type of announcement.”

Thomas happened to catch Shaw on the phone in Los Angeles getting ready to leave for dinner with Rosenbloom.

From the background, Rosenbloom shouted out, “It won’t be the St. Louis Rams without John Shaw.”

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams
8 Responses to “Longtime Rams executive John Shaw steps down”
  1. SmackSaw says: Feb 18, 2011 2:16 PM

Good riddance! He and Georgia ripped the Rams from me and fleeced St. Louis.

2. jbl429 says: Feb 18, 2011 2:22 PM

clearly this has some connection to Todd Hewitt.

3. docboss says: Feb 18, 2011 2:27 PM

Good riddance. This guy torpedoed the entire franchise going back years to the LA fiasco. Poor drafts, bad hires. He alienated the few good hires, and put the team in the current state of flux (do they go or do they stay?). The question should be not “how did the good Rams (Greatest Show on Turf) get so bad?”, but rather “how did a terrible Ram’s franchise ever win a SuperBowl?”. He should be allowed a long and happy absentee executive career with the Redskins.

4. gcbean says: Feb 18, 2011 2:30 PM

Good, let’s make them the Los Angeles Rams again.

5. evh12345 says: Feb 18, 2011 2:39 PM

L. A.

6. sageyoung says: Feb 18, 2011 4:02 PM

7. nashvilletrojan says: Feb 18, 2011 5:29 PM

“Couldn’t agree more on the LA comments. The Rams are LA’s team; I wish they could move back.”

——————-

They could. Kroenke is all about money. The dome in St Louis is starting to age, and by the time the lease expires (2015 I think), there could be a new stadium built in LA. That would be sweet to shove up Shaw’s backside.

8. NoHomeTeam says: Feb 18, 2011 5:59 PM

“I’ve known since the sale that it was happening at some point,” Shaw said.

“I’ve known since Georgia flatlined that somebody was going to figure out that I contribute nothing to this team,” Shaw said.

Priceless.
    Back up the moving vans, boys.
    (You don’t need to pack up those navy blue uniforms, though; the Los Angeles Rams wear royal blue)