Atogwe wants to return to Rams, despite release

O.J. Atogwe Pic

The Rams’ Friday release of O.J. Atogwe left the team with three safeties contractually under control for the 2011 offseason: Craig Dahl, James Butler, and Darian Stewart. The move made St. Louis significantly weaker at an already weak position.

The Rams may have given up on Atogwe, but Atogwe hasn’t given up on the Rams.

“My agent and myself have established a really good negotiating relationship with them, so were we to do something again (with the Rams), I don’t believe it would be a difficult task,” Atogwe told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Because there’s no bad blood there.

We should be able to get something done.”

The Rams are probably lucky that Atogwe is still willing to consider them, because they haven’t treated him as most teams would a defensive back who’s created 44 turnovers over the past five seasons. Atogwe was assigned the lowest possible restricted free agent tender during the 2010 offseason, signed to a phony five-year extension, and released yesterday with no apparent consideration given to restructuring the deal or delaying the payment of his February 21 roster bonus.

Atogwe turns 30 in June, so this may be his last opportunity to sign a long-term contract with substantial guaranteed money.

This spring, Atogwe will marry the daughter of Vikings linebackers coach Mike Singletary. It’s fair to wonder if Singletary’s new team might give Atogwe a serious look on the open market.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
8 Responses to “Atogwe wants to return to Rams, despite release”
  1. captainwisdom8888 says: Feb 19, 2011 11:59 AM

You don’t wanna go play for your baby’s mama’s daddy…come on over to Philly instead.

2. phinfan says: Feb 19, 2011 12:13 PM

I’d love for miami to sign him.

However lets be honest, the Jets and Pats will be all over him.

3. nyjalleffingday says: Feb 19, 2011 12:40 PM

@phinfan

Let’s hope you’re right, if Atogwe was an NYJ i’d buy his jersey immediatley. Incredible talent.

4. iced107 says: Feb 19, 2011 1:01 PM

I’d be surprised if Atogwe Doesn’t come back to us..

but I wouldn’t be upset either. He’s considered a team leader on defense and is a captain.

He’ll be back. Too much love for the coach and teammates.

5. jackleone says: Feb 19, 2011 1:32 PM

I choose this guy every year for my fantasy team because he never disappoints. If the Rams don’t resign, they’ll be moving backwards.

6. androk23 says: Feb 19, 2011 3:00 PM

Thank you SIM football, I can spell Oshiomogho because of it. I had him when he had the 9 INT’s the year before, and I had Haynseworth before he went to Washington….safe to say I had the top defense.

7. jebdamone says: Feb 19, 2011 4:18 PM

just like i said in the post yesterday when i saw him released, vikes should be interested in O.J. not because he is marrying singletary’s daughter but because he is a solid safety that has a number of good years left and would be a HUGE upgrade over the terrible madieu williams.

8. commandercornpone says: Feb 19, 2011 9:01 PM

future scene in minnehaha…

mrs. atogwe: hi honey are u home already?

ok: yes. mike dropped trou again today.