White Sox brass chime in on Buerhle’s Vick comments

Ozzie Guillen

We’ll put to rest the mini-controversy regarding Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle’s articulated wish for Eagles quarterback Mike Vick to suffer an injury by sharing reactions from the two men to whom Buehrle reports.

Manager Ozzie Guillen and G.M. Kenny Williams.

“I don’t agree with what this guy [Vick] was doing, but it’s none of my business,” Guillen told ESPN (via NBC’s Off the Bench).  “I cannot say, ‘Do this, don’t do that’ because I love bull fighting.  People look at bull fighting in a different way than we do.  [Buehrle has] got his own opinion, and I respect that.  If somebody has to say anything about his comments, it has to be Vick.  Nobody else has to say anything.”

As Rick Chandler of Off the Bench points out, Guillen’s passion for bullfighting prompted him last year to exclaim to the clubhouse at large the differences between bullfighting and hunting after video emerged of an angry male cattle getting into the stands during a fight.

“That’s a real sport,” Guillen said.  “Not, ‘Oh, here comes a deer.  How big are his horns?  Let’s shoot it and take a picture with it.'”

Williams took a much more narrow approach to the situation..

“None of my business,” Williams said.  “I’m putting that in the no-drama-for-Kenny zone.  It is my business in the sense that he is a Chicago White Sox player, but it was the offseason, and he’s his own man.

“[Buehrle has] some very strong opinions about animal rights, and I support those.  I wish that it would have been handled differently, but it wasn’t and that’s as much as I’m going to say on it.  No drama.”

Unfortunately, the White Soxeses’ interleague schedule this year doesn’t include a trip to Philadelphia this year.

But they do play in Arizona.  Maybe Buehrle will say something bad about Beanie Wells.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
28 Responses to “White Sox brass chime in on Buerhle’s Vick comments”
  1. ny82jy says: Feb 19, 2011 8:51 AM

Amazing for the third straight day another article on this stupid non story. He said he hopes vick got hurt. WHO CARES! I know alot of people including myself hope he gets hurt. I would love it. Next story please. I bet it will be another one about this loser not going on oprah. What a joke really

2. gosox2673 says: Feb 19, 2011 9:02 AM

White Soxeses’? That can’t be right. Can it?

3. touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 19, 2011 9:08 AM

I bet you Vick can throw a better fastball than Buerhle. If I were Vick, that’s what I’d point out. Right before I reminded him that dog fighting actually WAS a sport at one point in time:

“dog fighting was once completely legal and was sanctioned and promoted during the colonial period (17th century through 1776) and continuing through the Victorian era in the late 19th century.” – wiki

I love dogs, but this Buerhle guy is an idiot who said what he said for attention. Nothing makes people care more than reminding them of atrocious events. Like it or not, dog fighting was legal sport until about 100 years ago.

4. mad55555 says: Feb 19, 2011 9:11 AM

What would saying anything bad about Bennie wells have to do with buttsack going to Arizona? It not like there are any fans of Bennie wells or the cardinals for that matter. Those people in the stadium just wandered in from the desert and are trying to stay out of the sun. You show me a cardinals fan and I’ll show you someone that is willing to pay$99.99 for a years subscription of PFT. Which they think is half price.

5. fat4jc says: Feb 19, 2011 9:15 AM

weren’t these comments made like 2 days ago?

6. bobbyhoying says: Feb 19, 2011 9:16 AM

We all know the majority of pro athletes are scumbags, just like most of the entertainers in Hollywood. We watch the games for what they do on the field to entertain us, not their moral character. I find it laughable any of these guys judge the behavior of a peer.

7. thegonz13 says: Feb 19, 2011 9:44 AM

Buerhle is a moron. Sure, he has every right to be outraged about the dogfighting, but don’t wish anything bad upon others.

Now let’s move on!

8. emmac13 says: Feb 19, 2011 9:46 AM

Ozzie is an idiot. To each their own. But to stereotype hunters is idiotic. There are trophy hunters and hunters also put food on the table. Not everyone has the luxury or talent to be over paid like his moron pitcher. If he wants a real sport try bear wrestlin.

9. nflguru12 says: Feb 19, 2011 10:16 AM

I’m sorry, I got Ozzie Guillen mixed up with Paris Hilton. Who cares what either think about anything?

10. selgaeinla says: Feb 19, 2011 10:31 AM

Baseball=Irrelevant
    15 million watch game 7 of the World Series, 115 million watch the Super Bowl. Mike Vick preseason football game out draws a baseball playoff game.

11. whynotusecommonsense says: Feb 19, 2011 10:33 AM

Ozzie’s characterization of hunting compared to bullfighting demonstrates his ignorance. He’s obviously never hunted and knows nothing about it. Of course Ozzie saying something stupid is nothing new.

Oh and Ozzie, deer have antlers, not horns. There’s a difference.

12. dogluverssuck says: Feb 19, 2011 10:46 AM

So I guess if white people “do it” it must be ok :)

13. chuxtah says: Feb 19, 2011 10:53 AM

touchdownroddywhite yikes. Do you know what else was legal 100yrs ago? Cocaine and Steroids. Not to long before that slavery. It was even ok to hop in a boat and go kill a couple whales. You may say ” He served his time and everyone deserves a second chance.” True but that applies to those who shoot themeselves or are addicted to some substance. He took hundreds of lives from domestic animals. Most people love dogs as if they are humans themselves. He got off easy and to make things a little better the Eagles are making his life comfortable by throwing tons of money his way so that he can pay off his numerous debts. Vick is a thug and the scum of the NFL. I too wouldn’t mind Vick going down Theismann style followed up by he who inflicts the pain to follow up the action with a nice fire hydrant lift of the leg.

14. rexryansfootsoldier says: Feb 19, 2011 11:10 AM

Meanwhile, somewhere, Oney Guillen is bitching about Bobby Jenks over this whole matter.

Who cares what Buehrle thinks about Vick. He’s entitled to his opinion and so am I: I think both Buehrle and Vick are miserable human beings.

15. Canyonero says: Feb 19, 2011 11:21 AM

I wonder if Ozzie Guillen would consider it “his business” if his dog had been swiped and put in the fighting pits as bait.

That’s what I’ll never get about Vick’s jock-sniffers. They think he just overcame some lifestyle choice and paid his dues, etc.

Vick hurt a lot of people AND dogs, and never spent a minute in jail or paid a dollar of restitution.

16. duanethomas says: Feb 19, 2011 11:32 AM

Oh Gawd…..please give this story a rest.

17. boknowsvt says: Feb 19, 2011 12:05 PM

touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 19, 2011 9:08 AM

*******************************************************
    Like it or not, slavery was once legal too. Should we no longer be outraged about that?

18. snnyjcbs says: Feb 19, 2011 12:46 PM

Bull Fighting?, what a Joke. I heard it is a Tradition of the males fighting the Bull for the right to the Cow, are they sick or what.

As for Hunting?, maybe back in the Cesspool like Chicago where they raise Deer in Corn Fields to kill. Come out west and you City Punks would not make it a Night in the High Country.

It is best to live and let live as long as you are not breaking the Law or hurting another. Problem with all the Punks being raised today is they are soft and with money or not their lives are so boring they want to bury their nose up others rears. That is why most do not have a women and those that do have, let them wear the pants.

I would rather watch paint dry then watch Baseball. I come here for NFL News, not Baseball, “just a bit outside” lol

19. dogluverssuck says: Feb 19, 2011 1:08 PM

boknowsvt says:
    Feb 19, 2011 12:05 PM
    touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 19, 2011 9:08 AM

*******************************************************

—————————————–

Only legalized by “evil” white people. Like I said, if whites “do it” it must be right.

20. theallegedone says: Feb 19, 2011 2:14 PM

Is there a reason people are still talking about this? It’s not as if a popular player made this comment. It’s Mark Buehrle. He’s a has been. Basically a never was. This man isn’t even known for what he did last year record wise or ERA wise. He’s known for a nice play at 1st base during THE 1ST GAME OF THE SEASON! Did you hear this man’s name the rest of the year? Reason being is he was 13-13 with a 4.28 ERA and only had 99 strikeouts.

21. oldbyrd says: Feb 19, 2011 2:27 PM

Buerhle: here’s what I wish for you…. a 25.55 ERA then you”ll be considered the dog that you are.

22. roscoepcoaltrain86 says: Feb 19, 2011 3:17 PM

It just goes to show you. Don’t be white and have an opinion when the media has another black QB they are in love with. i.e. Rush limbaugh vs mcnabb

23. touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 19, 2011 3:18 PM

chuxtah says: Feb 19, 2011 10:53 AM

Steroids are still legal, just against the rules in most sports.

I also never said I was a fan of dog fighting. Just pointing out the ignorance of his remarks when he said, “The last time I knew dog fighting was a sport was never”. Check your history before making brash statements, Mr. Buerhle.

24. androk23 says: Feb 19, 2011 3:46 PM

White Sox Own.

25. riverhorsey says: Feb 19, 2011 3:58 PM

take away the cape in bull fighting and i’ll consider it a sport..

the guy can even keep the sword and his little Mickey Mouse cap

26. acmepacker says: Feb 19, 2011 4:02 PM

Bull Fighting is a sport about like I’d rate dogfighting, both involve hurting an animal for amusement. I doubt if the bull enjoys being poked with sharp objects.

27. o0omorriso0o says: Feb 20, 2011 10:50 AM

The truth is easy people. Wishing someone to get hurt makes you just as wrong. So how much sense does it make to get mad at somebody for killing or hurting an animal when you yourself is wishing harm on your own kind? Not a smart way of thinking people! Simply put you cant be takin seriously as a person who despises what Vick did and also be a person who wishes harm on a human. Just doesnt make sense!!!

28. dmobey says: Feb 20, 2011 7:26 PM

Yes, and no one should be put to death for murder.

And rapists should be forgiven.

I don’t hope Vick gets hurt.

I hope he gets put in a wheelchair.

Broken spine would be appropriate.

*******************************