Arrival of Palmer, Ragone in Tennessee could open door for Josh McCown

070905_mccown_hmed_2p.standard

Last night, reports surfaced that former Hartford Colonials quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone will be joining former Colonials head coach Chris Palmer on the Titans coaching staff, as receivers coach.

So will their star pupil in Hartford be next?

In announcing Ragone’s arrival, the Titans point out that Palmer and Ragone helped quarterback Josh McCown become the highest rated passer in the UFL.  (Which, in fairness, some would regard as being the winner of a dog race, three legs category.)  With the Titans scrambling for help at quarterback, McCown could land a job given that he knows Palmer’s system.

McCown has 27 careers starts.  He last played in the NFL during the 2009 season.

The Titans also announced that Art Valero will serve as assistant offensive line coach, Chet Parlavecchio will be the as assistant special teams coach, and Arthur Smith is the new defensive assistant/quality control.

Gone are assistant secondary coach Tim Hauck and special teams assistant Marty Galbraith.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans
14 Responses to “Arrival of Palmer, Ragone in Tennessee could open door for Josh McCown”
  1. pftard says: Feb 22, 2011 2:15 PM

Why does it seem like the Titans won’t be a team to worry about in 2011? hmmmmmm

2. baseballstars says: Feb 22, 2011 3:07 PM

McCown? Really? I know Tennessee is in a world of hurt at the quarterback position, but McCown? This is almost as bad of news as hearing that Fisher was going to be coming back in 2011. At least that didn’t happen.

3. ercincinnati says: Feb 22, 2011 3:07 PM

As a Titans fan every bit of news I hear makes me sick. I know so many people thought Fisher was just okay, but comparatively speaking I felt a hell of a lot better with no qb, but Fisher still at the helm. Gonna be a loooooong time before my Titans get back to even decent.

4. goriidskiiin says: Feb 22, 2011 3:26 PM

yikes…next we will be hearing that Tennessee is going to sign Jeff George too…good luck Titan fans. Hey, I hear Lendale White is available too!!

5. bambamraider says: Feb 22, 2011 3:32 PM

As a Raider Fan…TRUST

6. bambamraider says: Feb 22, 2011 3:34 PM

As a Raider Fan…TRUST ME….YOU DON’T WANT JOSH McCOWN as your Qb…it was almost as painful as watching Russell play….

7. corysowa says: Feb 22, 2011 3:35 PM

One word…. no.

8. xli2006 says: Feb 22, 2011 4:05 PM

Please be true.

Sincerely,

Colts Fans

9. baseballstars says: Feb 22, 2011 4:08 PM

Not just no, but HELL NO.

10. ironhide06 says: Feb 22, 2011 4:15 PM

Is this team gearing up to make a run at the 2011 UFL championship? Grease fire!

11. ironhide06 says: Feb 22, 2011 4:16 PM

Can’t wait!

12. randolph32 says: Feb 22, 2011 4:24 PM

I’ll throw my hat in the ring for one of those Assistant to an Assistant positions….has to pay better than what I have now.

13. Kave Krew says: Feb 22, 2011 10:25 PM

Look, the Titans are a mess right now but you have to hold on to some hope somewhere, be it a UFL offensive trio or a coaching colon cleanse. But I think the one thing to hold on to for hope is that a first time head coach had the big balls to fire the long time offensive coordinator with whom he had worked with for years AND is battling cancer while still working – those big balls are what will be needed entering this rebuilding job.

14. CKL says: Feb 23, 2011 11:05 AM

Kave that’s a good point..takes nads of steel to fire the ‘dinger.
    I always liked Josh M and thought he got the shaft in AZ by Green. He could work as a stopgap starter while you guys develop a new guy.