Chargers president plans meeting with San Diego mayor

With talk of a Los Angeles stadium picking up of late, some close followers of the Chargers believe that a move north to Los Angeles is practically inevitable.

The city of San Diego and the Chargers need to come up with a stadium solution that works, and seem to be running out of time and options.   To help push things forward, San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders and Chargers president Dean Spanos will meet in the next few weeks, according to Matthew T. Hall of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

We recommend reading the Tribune’s article for a more complete picture of the situation, but it’s safe to say these meetings are rare.   This may be only be the fifth meeting in five years between the two leaders.  (Their staffs talk about the stadium issue plenty.)

“Bottom line?” Hall writes.  “These meetings usually mean something significant.”

We’ll have to wait to find out what that may be.  In the meantime,  Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani is downplaying the significance of the get together.

“This is an opportune time for a meeting, given the pending California redevelopment and NFL CBA issues that could in many ways determine the future of a potential new stadium,” Fabiani said.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
7 Responses to “Chargers president plans meeting with San Diego mayor”
  1. NoHomeTeam says: Feb 22, 2011 2:55 PM

Posts about teams’ stadium issues always get my attention, and I invariably have mixed emotions about what I read.

While I truly do want a team here, I’m not of the “any team, at any cost” mindset. My preference, as I have stated, is for this area to get an expansion team. There are myriad reasons this won’t happen, and most of them are good ones.

So, if we’re going to get team, it’s going to come from some other city, which gets to be a bit of a moral issue. Having “lost” a team, I don’t particularly like being in the position of having to hope that fans in some other city lose “their” team so that we can have one. I’ve addressed the Vikings issue before, so I won’t belabor that argument again (at least not in this post).

As far as the Chargers go, I like them fine . . . right where they are. I can’t really call myself a “fan” of the team, but I do enjoy going down to San Diego for a couple of games a year, if there’s a good team on the schedule. We make a weekend of it, get a nice hotel, eat at some good restaurants, maybe hit the art museum on the Saturday before. It’s a nice experience.

I’m hopeful that the Chargers and San Diego can work out a solution that is mutually beneficial.

I keep watching this site for news that AEG (or Ed Roski, for that matter) has been sited having lunch with Stan Kroenke in St. Louis.

2. cambodianbreastmilk says: Feb 22, 2011 3:23 PM

Qualcomm is a toilet, but Tailgating there and the overall city of San Diego are great. If the Padres can get a new damn stadium, why in the holy hell can’t the Chargers!?

3. jcdavey2011 says: Feb 22, 2011 4:43 PM

honestly, there’s some great charger fans, and the tailgating experience is awesome, but overall, they sell their tickets to too many transplants which takes away from the home field advantage feel that other teams have

i was born in san diego, but i don’t begrudge the chargers if they leave for a better home stadium, the city of san diego has screwed them over quite a bit in the past, be it lack of support, or corrupt local government, it just doesn’t feel like a legit sports town.

4. chargerdillon says: Feb 22, 2011 5:11 PM

The Chargers are leaving, they’ve been planning to leave for some time.

The Chargers have cheap owners and the only thing stopping from them staying in the most beautiful city in the USA is their unwillingness to fork out their own money for it like any other business would have to.

5. NoHomeTeam says: Feb 22, 2011 6:59 PM

jcdavey2011 says: ” . . . i just don’t think san diego is the right place to breed a consistent winner and superbowl champion, i don’t think LA is either, but finally getting a new stadium would be nice to see for my chargers.”

An interesting, well-balanced post, JCD. It seems like you’re taking a very rational view about this. My question — and I don’t mean it to be provocative — is this: How will you still consider them “your” Chargers if they move to Los Angeles? Is the geographical proximity such that you would consider them a “regional” team, like the Minnesota or the Tennessee franchises? Would you still claim “ownership” as a fan if the team was talking about moving to Birmingham or Orlando?

chargerdillon says “As a San Diego native and hardcore Charger fan for life, the owners can kick rocks and take their product to LA and I’ll watch it the same way I’m watching it now”

Thanks, but no (unless by “LA” you mean “Louisiana”). You can keep them. We’ll keep watching them the way we’re watching them now.

6. jcdavey2011 says: Feb 23, 2011 1:45 AM

NHT, i’ll still consider them my chargers because i grew up as a fan, and i myself moved out of san diego back in 2001, but i was born in san diego in 1970, and i’ve been following the chargers since 1979, so they’ll always be my team, unless they fold up shop as a franchise, or possibly if my hometown lost them to another city but got a new san diego nfl team (ala when the browns became the ravens, but then cleveland got the ‘browns’ name back, and a new team to go with it)

7. NoHomeTeam says: Feb 23, 2011 2:03 PM

jcdavey2011 says: . . . i grew up as a fan, and i myself moved out of san diego back in 2001, but i was born in san diego in 1970, and i’ve been following the chargers since 1979, so they’ll always be my team . . .”

Well, that certainly makes sense. At this point, you’re not a San Diegan, but are still a Chargers fan. Since you’re not a resident anyway, a move wouldn’t necessarily affect your feelings toward the team. I can understand that; I was coming at this from the perspective of a “resident” fan whose team was making noises about moving “away.”