Charles Woodson would move to safety for Nnamdi Asomugha

asomugha

The Green Bay Packers would seem like an odd landing point for free agent Nnamdi Asomugha, as cornerback is not a position of need for the defending champions.

But Charles Woodson likes the idea of having Asomugha as a teammate so much that he told ESPNMilwaukee.com he’d move to safety to make it happen.

“If I talked to [defensive coordinator Dom Capers] and he thought that was the best thing for us to win another championship I would do it,” Woodson said. “This thing is about winning. If this would have been my fifth year in the league I probably would have told you hell no but at this point if that was going to get me another championship why wouldn’t I?”

Woodson and Asomugha were teammates in Oakland and remain friends, but Woodson said it’s not his place to encourage Asomugha to come to Green Bay.

“I’m not doing any recruiting,” Woodson said. “We’ve texted a few times about winning a Super Bowl. Nothing really about his future I don’t know what’s going on about him and Oakland or anything else.”

Woodson also discussed the broken collarbone he suffered in the Super Bowl, saying he expects it to heal without surgery in 6-8 weeks. And he said he believes that he’d be a Pro Football Hall of Famer if he retires today.

“If I’m not, tell me what I’ve got to do and my track record says I get it done,” Woodson said. “So that’s the way I look at it.”

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
68 Responses to “Charles Woodson would move to safety for Nnamdi Asomugha”
  1. obxastronaut says: Feb 22, 2011 7:45 AM

Woodson is a stud. Nnamdi is a stud. The Packers are a team of studs. The more the merrier…

2. chapnastier says: Feb 22, 2011 7:48 AM

Woodson is a classy guy. How can anyone not like him?

3. casselgreyskull says: Feb 22, 2011 7:49 AM

“And he said he believes that he’d be a Pro Football Hall of Famer if he retires today.”

Well he’s friends with Peter King so that’s as big a foot in the door as anything.

4. johntonioholmes says: Feb 22, 2011 7:52 AM

That would be the sickest secondary. WAY better than that one man show in New York.

5. zwaga says: Feb 22, 2011 7:55 AM

2 words: Sick, nasty

6. raiderinpa says: Feb 22, 2011 7:58 AM

How about CW comes back to Oakland, Nmamdi stays and the Raiders may be getting fitted for SB rings this time next year!!…

7. 319hike says: Feb 22, 2011 8:02 AM

Wouldn’t really matter in the NFC north. None of the other teams can pass the ball anyway.

8. aldavisisthenfl says: Feb 22, 2011 8:03 AM

Why all of sudden are we peppered with this guys b.s.

9. garyman1 says: Feb 22, 2011 8:04 AM

Oh my Gosh…. how GREAT would this be ? Woodson is starting to slow down and moving to safety is a natural fit for him. Having Williams and Asomugha at corner and Collins/Woodson at safety would make the best defensive backfield in football. Ted, PLEASE pull the trigger… I’m begging you.

10. yooperpkr says: Feb 22, 2011 8:05 AM

Could you imagine…

11. itwasagoodrun says: Feb 22, 2011 8:06 AM

As I Vikings fan, this move on paper terrifies me. I couldn’t imagine that kind of secondary.

However, it oddly excites me. If they get Nnamdi, they will have an overwhelming expectation to win another championship and this could serve counterproductive. If they get Nnamdi and lose…the negatives will come out of the woodworks even after a superbowl campaign.

12. mandracchia says: Feb 22, 2011 8:09 AM

Mark this down. If the Eagles wants someone they get him. Nnamdi Asomugha will be an Eagle. The Eagles should have been in the SB not Green Bay.

13. huejackson says: Feb 22, 2011 8:16 AM

obxastronaut says:
    Feb 22, 2011 7:45 AM

————————————————-
    That sounds extremly gay.
    aSOMOUGH I NOT GOING ANYWHERE, DONT BE FOOLED BY THE ANTI RAIDER MEDIA. ALL THEY DO IS THROW A STORY TO THE WALL AND HOPE IT STICKS

14. ninjapleazee says: Feb 22, 2011 8:22 AM

of course he’d move to safety because he knows he’s on his last leg and can’t keep up with the WR’s in man to man coverage anymore…

15. phinheads says: Feb 22, 2011 8:26 AM

c wood is def a HOFer but it’s sort of painful to hear all these opinions from him lately. …just seems unnecessary.

16. packfannchitown says: Feb 22, 2011 8:27 AM

The Eagles should have been in the SB not Green Bay.
    ______________________________________
    Yeah… they should have actually tried WINNING the playoff game then….

Funny how that works.

17. CJ says: Feb 22, 2011 8:28 AM

that would be disgusting. If that happened, there’d be no advantage to go 3 wide vs. Green Bay…they could just stay in their base defense. That’s a major advantage schematically if it were to happen.

Good thing it won’t, since Asomugha will be in a darker green next season, whenever that will be. Go Eagles!

18. packfannchitown says: Feb 22, 2011 8:30 AM

However, it oddly excites me. If they get Nnamdi, they will have an overwhelming expectation to win another championship and this could serve counterproductive. If they get Nnamdi and lose…the negatives will come out of the wood works even after a superbowl campaign.
    ____________________________________
    This move won’t happen as Ted doesn’t go after big name free agents.

On the other hand, the Pack won the SB with an undrafted free agent at CB (Shields) and Tramon Williams after Woodson went down. They don’t NEED Nnamdi to win the SB again….

Your boys need to concentrate on improving a little at a time, you’ll need to start by beating the Lions.

19. intedwetrust says: Feb 22, 2011 8:33 AM

mandracchia says: Feb 22, 2011 8:09 AM

______________________________________

The Eagles would have lost every playoff game that the Packers won along the way even if they had pulled off the win against the Pack. They only won 2 games all season against playoff caliber teams and one of them was the massively injured and underachieving Colts.

They may get Asomugha, but they most definitely would not have won a ring. Without the Pack I think we’d all be calling the Falcons Super Bowl champions.

20. tdk24 says: Feb 22, 2011 8:42 AM

Woodson is no Mike Haynes.

21. ted1sheckler says: Feb 22, 2011 8:42 AM

I thought your Packer fan mantra was draft and develop? Now you turd are singing a new tune? Most hypocritical fanbase ever!

22. 13xworldchamps says: Feb 22, 2011 8:43 AM

————————————————–

Funny how that workes out, Coulda, shoulda, woulda…..The packers beat the 1-2-3 seeds on their home fields, somthing your eagles could have never done……….as I remember at the end of the game when the clock shows all zero’s the team with the highest score wins………….That was “THE GREEN BAY PACKERS” Remember the spanking the bears put on the eagles at soldier field…

23. godofwine330 says: Feb 22, 2011 8:44 AM

If Woodson does get into the HOF it would make him only the third player ever in the history of the NFL to win a Heisman Trophy, National Championship, Super Bowl and HOF.

Who are the other 2 players? (the answer is below)

Marcus Allen and Tony Dorsett.

24. andymc58 says: Feb 22, 2011 8:49 AM

“If this would have been my fifth year in the league I probably would have told you hell no but at this point if that was going to get me another championship why wouldn’t I?”

I don’t know Charles, why wouldn’t you do it in your fifth year if it meant winning a championship?

25. imjinbrdgr says: Feb 22, 2011 8:59 AM

Sounds great but TT won’t ever pay his asking price.

26. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Feb 22, 2011 9:10 AM

itwasagoodrun says:
    Feb 22, 2011 8:06 AM

___________________________________

Dude, no offense….but this Packer team could have EVERY starter on IR and still beat that team you’re going to have in MN…(or L.A.) the next year or two.

27. ilpackerbacker says: Feb 22, 2011 9:13 AM

I hope Ted does this … just to piss off the Vikings, LOL.

28. lucky5927 says: Feb 22, 2011 9:24 AM

aldavisisthenfl says:
    Feb 22, 2011 8:03 AM
    Why all of sudden are we peppered with this guys b.s.

————————————————
    Really? Your saying that True Hall of Famers don’t get arrested? First of all, your bringing up something from 7 years ago. I am sure you have never done anything you regret you pompus a$$. Secondly, their have been plenty of hall of famers who have been arrested. Many situations of which is worse than getting out of the backseat of a woman’s car and being drunk in public.

Now I am not a Packer’s fan, but this goes beyond that. Your comments define you as being ignorant and self-rightious. Both of which I have a problem with.

29. vbhall78 says: Feb 22, 2011 9:24 AM

Why in the hell are Eagle fans talking anyway? You lost and will not be any relevant next season, just because you have Vick doesn’t mean anything… Desean Jackson always seems to get shut down in big games. Eagle suck! Go Pack!! If the Eagles want something they get it, yeah they sure do, they got that @ZZ beat by Green Bay…

30. scoops1 says: Feb 22, 2011 9:25 AM

If it means winning a Championship, Nnamdi will lower his Market price

I can’t see him ending up on a team thats re-buliding.

the guy wants to win and wants to win NOW

31. intedwetrust says: Feb 22, 2011 9:27 AM

I wouldn’t completely write off TT going for him, he went after C Wood. If he thinks it will improve his team he’ll make a move. Everybody said he’d never trade up in the draft and look what happened with Matthews.

32. aldavisisthenfl says: Feb 22, 2011 9:28 AM

@chapnastier says: Feb 22, 2011 7:48 AM

Woodson is a classy guy. How can anyone not like him?

…how about the young woman driving that car…….

33. ninjapleazee says: Feb 22, 2011 9:30 AM

funny how Packers fan have an opinion all of a sudden, what happened to you guys all last year? dead silent even you can hear a mouse fart and now “oh yea we won superbowl, so we’re a dynasty, we’re this and that” oh please shut it already. You’ll be like the Saints fan next year, sitting by and reading comments without anything intelligent to reply

34. pervyharvin says: Feb 22, 2011 9:38 AM

What is it with the Packers producing the biggest media whores of all time? We know about Brett. Looks like Woody is surely competing.Woody on school teachers.Woody on Nnamdi. What next? Woody on Oscar 2011 Predictions with Roger Ebert ? STHU Woody. Dead Ted don’t roll like that, would never sign him.

35. scoops1 says: Feb 22, 2011 9:42 AM

Woodson and A-Rodge are both going to be huge influences in this

Both are former teammates of Nnamdi and both recognize his character and talent

36. smoothjimmyapollo says: Feb 22, 2011 9:53 AM

“True HOFer’s don’t get arrested for not getting out of a woman’s vehicle when asked to…………”

The HOF will have Brett Favre in it and we know what type of gentleman he has been. The HOF has OJ Simpson in it and he killed two people. Michael Irvin is in it and he stabbed a teammate in the neck with a pair of scissors for not vacating the barber’s chair. Paul Hornung was kicked out of the league for a time for gambling. Warren Moon was arrested for domestic abuse. Dan Marino was awful in Ace Ventura. Lawrence Taylor was arrested for statatory rape. But Woodson didn’t get out of a woman’s car, you say? That monster. No HOF for him!

37. philbirds says: Feb 22, 2011 9:58 AM

I don’t know why some Eagles fans are talking trash about the 2010 Packers, but we are here because the title has one of 2011+ players in it.

38. philbirds says: Feb 22, 2011 9:59 AM

I don’t know why some Eagles fans are talking trash about the 2010 Packers, but we are here because the title has one of our 2011+ players in it.

39. stairwayto7 says: Feb 22, 2011 10:08 AM

40. stellarperformance says: Feb 22, 2011 10:11 AM

I think it’s great that Charles is already thinking of doing it again…and willing to do whatever is necessary to do it again. Ted usually does his own thing…but if the price was right…….maybe, just maybe.

41. smoothjimmyapollo says: Feb 22, 2011 10:18 AM

“Packer fan never heard of Nnamdi Asomugha until now! They still think Paul Horning and Bart Starr still play!”

Really, that’s the best you got? Have we forgotten Sports Illustrated ranking Packer fans as the most knowledgeable fans in the NFL back in December. Steeler fans came in second. That seems to be happening a lot lately.

42. gregjennings85 says: Feb 22, 2011 10:26 AM

Well, that sounds ok….

43. gregjennings85 says: Feb 22, 2011 10:27 AM

Stairwayto7:

Nice name – Way to jinx yourself, chump.

44. lucky5927 says: Feb 22, 2011 10:27 AM

smoothjimmyapollo says:
    Feb 22, 2011 9:53 AM

“Dan Marino was awful in Ace Ventura.”
    ———————————————–

That was CLASSIC! haha

45. pervyharvin says: Feb 22, 2011 10:31 AM

======================================
    Any fool who believes that story is a total moron.I mean, who writes that crap? So f”n what if the Steelers and Packers brag about THEIR OWN past ad nauseam. Doesn’t make them more knowledgeable.

46. kgschwind says: Feb 22, 2011 10:33 AM

How is CB not a position of need? Woodson was critiicized for relying on instincts last season and he is a year older. The Packers need at least one more CB and I owuld prefer two with all the dime package they play.

47. aldavisisthenfl says: Feb 22, 2011 10:34 AM

@smoothjimmyapollo

I wonder if you’d still feel that way if was your daughter?

Think before you write………

48. gpack22 says: Feb 22, 2011 10:43 AM

On paper this does sound great. If it happened I would be thrilled but I do believe another pass rushing OLB would be a higher priority for this team. Matthews certainly is spectacular but imagine if they have someone on the other side!!

DB’s look even better when there’s a terrific pass rush.

49. ilpackerbacker says: Feb 22, 2011 10:45 AM

“Dead Ted don’t roll like that, would never sign him”.

Really? Then how come he signed Woodson?

50. lilsmoky says: Feb 22, 2011 10:57 AM

Would I like to see him as a Packer, yes. But how much is it going to cost? We still have to be able to pay our own guys. When Ted gave Charles the big payday, it seemed like a lot of money, but it will be nothing compared to what Nnamdi is going to get.

51. ilpackerbacker says: Feb 22, 2011 11:23 AM

The Packers don’t even need this guy. The whole point would be to shove the stupid Vikings further down into oblivion. Then, perhaps more Vikings fans will continue to buy purple # 4 jerseys that say THANKS TED on the back of it, LOL.

They all tried to piss us off with that one. Epic FAIL. I wish I could have watched Super Bowl XLV with the same people who watched in Favre Horror, as Tracy Porter collected another one of Favre’s playoff blunders. Ted – 1, Favre – 0. Awesome.

52. smoothjimmyapollo says: Feb 22, 2011 11:41 AM

“I wonder if you’d still feel that way if was your daughter?”

I had a more in-depth reply which was removed for some reason. In short, Woodson was probably rude to this lady, but what female hasn’t encountered rude drunk guys? I’m not saying it’s right, but it doesn’t take away what he’s done on the field. On the list of offenses against women by NFL players, this ranks pretty low.

Was it your daughter, aldavisisthenfl?

53. tucknrolle says: Feb 22, 2011 1:01 PM

This would be against what the packers normally do. That’s not to say it wont happen or it wouldn’t make them a better team. Imagine the blitz packages they could bring with that secondary.. Pretty scary if you ask me. This would also free Woodson to play in the box more and we’ve all watched how productive he can be in that area. It would be a good move, but of I had to guess I’d say it’s not going to happen.

54. shaggytoodle says: Feb 22, 2011 1:49 PM

Woodson would move to safety eventually anyway, it may just happen quicker if Asomugha came aboard. As a GB fan I wouldn’t complain if Nnamdi would come over, but then I think it would be possible for you to have a dispute over finances. Both being better CBs in the league, would Aso, be willing to get paid less than a guy that helped GB win a SB.

55. stellarperformance says: Feb 22, 2011 1:49 PM

pervyharvin says:
    Feb 22, 2011 10:31 AM
    ——————————————–

Do your research my desperate friend. Actually, the survey was performed by SI and was made of active NFL players…before the end of the regular season and without benefit of knowing who was going to be in the playoffs. In other words “the guys that play the game.” These guys will always recognize well-informed fans, and they did here…Packer fans No. 1, Pittsburgh fans No. 2, Viking fans…too low to acknowledge.

56. packfannchitown says: Feb 22, 2011 1:59 PM

dips**tharvin writes:
    ___________________________________
    Yeah because the media is just BANGING down the door wanting to talk to the Vikings…

Oh wait…

57. brent6699 says: Feb 22, 2011 2:22 PM

TT is due to sign a Free Agent. I think Nnamdi is a pretty good choice if he’s not expecting the highest salary among CB’s in the NFL.

58. 30ptbuck says: Feb 22, 2011 5:13 PM

pervyharvin says:
    Feb 22, 2011 9:38 AM

Wow the Nostradumbass of the NFL speaks again
    The real whoring by Brett Favre began in earnest after he got to Minny.Dead Ted as you call him has produced more Superbowl Champions than every Viking front office combined.
    Keep up the hate pervy that’s all you Viking Fans have because you certainly don’t have any Lombardi’s to celebrate.
    It must piss you off to no end we have a championship history (which you always act like what have you done lately) and the latest Super Bowl. Go cry in your lutefisk

59. Wisconsin77 says: Feb 22, 2011 6:22 PM

Seems like Woodson is starting to act like he is the GM. I wonder if he’ll get lambasted for it like Favre.

60. dwhitehurst says: Feb 23, 2011 12:56 AM

itwasagoodrun says:
    Feb 22, 2011 8:06 AM

As I Vikings fan…..
    —————————————————–

Is there really any need to read anything beyond that? lol

61. goombar2 says: Feb 23, 2011 7:00 AM

Let’s see, Woody is willing to move to Safety if the Pack picks up his old buddy, the best shutdown CB in the league. He’s not making a demand of any kind, just says he’s willing to be a team player.

Little different than Favre throwing a hissy fit and retiring because of Randy Moss re-upping with the Pats.

And to those loser bowlers whining about hearing from Woodson, well when a champion talks people listen. When losers spout off, people tend to roll their eyes!

62. raiderdave8675 says: Feb 23, 2011 10:50 AM

Once a Raider always a Raider is true, but this dude is POMPOUS! I’ve met him and he came across very arrogant to a room of people in Tennessee in ’99. Great player but it’s up to the bunk HOF process to decide if he gets in. Sure sounds like collusion to me though. Take the Packers 32nd pick and give it to the Raiders LOL…….NO Nnamdi for you NEXT!!!
    But if he does go in to the hall, it better be as a RAAAAAAAAADDDDA. (8yrs vs 5 with pack)
    But Love Michigan and the Raiders so Charles in the Hall is ok with me.

63. smoothjimmyapollo says: Feb 23, 2011 11:22 AM

Ugh, Raiderdave. You met him 12 years ago and he seemed pompous? People change quite a bit in 12 years and most people mature from age 22 to 34. If you didn’t say or do stupid things at age 22, then you are a better man than I.

Also, players don’t pick teams when going into the Pro Football HOF. That’s a baseball thing. Even if he did have to choose a team and at the moment has more longevity with the Raiders, he’s signed with the Packers through 2015.

64. philriverslovespenis says: Feb 24, 2011 7:33 PM

raiderinpa says:
    Feb 22, 2011 7:58 AM
    ————————————————–
    Since when can Woodson throw, catch, block, AND defend? You need a lot more than a cb to even get to the playoffs. Oh wait, it’s the off season, which is the Raider fan’s playoffs. Just ask them. Every off season it’s “super bowl bound.”

65. deconjonesbitchslap says: Feb 24, 2011 7:41 PM

they like sam shields development. and they drafted morgan burnett to be their safety for the future. and have peprah, who played well.

and shields is a boatload cheaper. not happening. it’s not how the packers do business.

packer fans should be more concerned the offensive line might lose 1 or 2 guys. there’s where you want your free agency money to go.

66. grimmlock42 says: Feb 25, 2011 7:17 PM

Charles Woodson will forever be known for knocking the ball out of Tom Brady’s hands in a game called the Tuck Rule. Charles and Nnamdi were 2 guys that the raiders got right. If the packers can pull off getting Nnamdi, the best 2010-2011 team just got even better 2011-2012.

67. jc1958cool says: Feb 26, 2011 10:28 AM

shields will take over corner and woodson will move to safety anyway!

68. carryingweight says: Feb 27, 2011 1:41 PM

If they could get nnamdi to take a paycut to get on a team ready to compete year in and years out it would be amazing. Tramon, nick, Charles, and nnamdi would be amazing.