Steven Jackson got out of New Zealand before devastating earthquake hit

A man looks for any victims amongst rubble in central Christchurch

Rams running back Steven Jackson has been traveling the globe this month on vacation, primarily in the South Pacific.

Part of his trip was in Christchurch, New Zealand, which suffered a devastating Earthquake Tuesday, killing at least 65 people.  More than 100 people are still trapped in the rubble after the 6.3-magnitude earthquake hit.

“We may well be witnessing New Zealand’s darkest day,” Prime Minister John Key told local TV.  “It’s hard to describe. What was a vibrant city a few hours ago has been brought to its knees.”

Jackson sent a message to his fans via Twitter:

“Just want to let everyone know I’m ok. God watched over me. I got me out of Christchurch 2 days ago,” Jackson wrote.

Aftershocks were still hitting the country’s second largest city as recently as 4:18 a.m. ET.  We wish all the rescuers all the best as they continue to look for trapped survivors.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Steven Jackson got out of New Zealand before devastating earthquake hit”
  1. clintonportisheadd says: Feb 22, 2011 10:10 AM

————————

So can we assume God was too preoccupied to watch over those that were killed? Maybe watching that Sanford and Son marathon over at TV Land?

2. cowntown42 says: Feb 22, 2011 10:27 AM

why dont you wish all the people under the rubble the best instead…?

3. gregjennings85 says: Feb 22, 2011 10:43 AM

cph:

I think you’re reading too much into it.

I’m pretty sure the theme of this message was:

“I was lucky that I didn’t die in an earthquake.”

4. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Feb 22, 2011 10:50 AM

@clintonportisheadd

Exactly. God is not “watching over you” fools. There is no god.

5. realitypolice says: Feb 22, 2011 11:02 AM

I love the narcissism of religious people.

Really, God said- hmm……’bout to slam this beautiful city with an earthquake that will kill scores of innocent people. That’ll be fun.

WAIT!! Steven Jackson is there!?! Steven Jackson, my fantasy keeper league RB?!?!

Well, screw that, I’ll just wait a few days ’till he leaves.

6. philgrek says: Feb 22, 2011 11:04 AM

I was preparing to leave a comment about how this is like a form of insider trading or something. Or maybe Steven Jackson had something to do with it, but then I read “God watched over me” and now I want to stab Steven Jackson in the neck.

What a pompous and arrogant thing to say. Why do religious people never realize how terrible that sounds? Way to insinuate that god was not watching over those who did not make it out ok.

And that’s I have to say about that….

7. bengalsown says: Feb 22, 2011 11:11 AM

Wow what a close call!!!!111

8. huskersrock1 says: Feb 22, 2011 11:19 AM

Planes leave major cities everyday full of people. There always is quite a few people that got out just in time from any major disaster. They are just not always famous pompus bastards.

9. chrismatthewsucks says: Feb 22, 2011 11:21 AM

GOD does not send earthquakes!!! When i visited poland in the 90′s a bus i was suppose to be on went off a cliff and about 7 people died.. The night before i put the bible on my alarm clock and my alarm didn’t go off.. So i THANKED God that day..

If you dont beleive stop being so intolerant of other peoples beliefs, maybe if you weren’t so biggotted you would understand.

10. philgrek says: Feb 22, 2011 11:47 AM

chrismatthewssucks…

you’re missing the point. its not being a bigot to question someones misplaced appreciation. by claiming he was looked after by god he is implicitly (maybe not intentionally, but regardless) stating that god did not look after these other people. That is my problem with it.

And congratulations on your random luck. I assume you believe in heaven (I may be wrong), and you’re thanking god for not bringing you to heaven? Thats both selfish and backwards.

Anywho, I didn’t intend to get into a religious argument. Simply stating that it sounds terrible to suggest that god watches over some and not others. I guess god still has plans for Steven Jackson to pile up more rushing yards.

11. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Feb 22, 2011 12:18 PM

Of course I don’t believe in heavan you dope. That would be a moronic contradiction. I hope you weren’t hanging your hat on that as a way to show that I am confused. Do yourself a favor, accept your life for what it is. You get one shot and that is all. There is no after life. And there is no devil pulling at the stings of your soul trying to make you do evil things. Just be a kind person who is good to others because you want to, not becuase you are afraid of the consequenses if you don’t. The day that you can accept your mortality, and the human condition, is the day you will become a stronger, better person. You are no more important than any other animal on this planet. I know you think you (and the rest of the human race) are far to complex and wonderful to simply stop exisiting when you die, but those are the facts as we know them. Your conciousness is not as special as you think. Share what you know with other while you can and then fade off into the sunset with some pride.

12. rebelphotographer says: Feb 22, 2011 12:38 PM

“When i visited poland in the 90′s a bus i was suppose to be on went off a cliff and about 7 people died.. The night before i put the bible on my alarm clock and my alarm didn’t go off.. So i THANKED God that day..”

So, essentially what you’re saying is that you were saved by your piety? You read your bible and placed it on your alarm clock and that’s why you were saved?!? You’re just as bad as Stephen Jackson. Too bad for the 7 others who forgot their daily devotion, self-rightous whack-job.

13. camsgottogo says: Feb 22, 2011 1:07 PM

God can answer for himself. There is no one to blame or commend. (Ecclesiastes 9:11-12) 11 I returned to see under the sun that the swift do not have the race, nor the mighty ones the battle, nor do the wise also have the food, nor do the understanding ones also have the riches, nor do even those having knowledge have the favor; because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all. 12 For man also does not know his time. Just like fishes that are being taken in an evil net, and like birds that are being taken in a trap, so the sons of men themselves are being ensnared at a calamitous time, when it falls upon them suddenly.

14. canjura says: Feb 22, 2011 6:32 PM

I’m personally Agnostic, and I think all of you judging religious people should check your baggage at the door. Simply because you don’t believe with what they’re saying, it doesn’t mean you have any right to judge them for their lives and the way they live them. People have different motivations to live, but you trying to press your believes (or lack of believes) of a God onto religious people is just as bad as those religious people who try to force you to believe in a God. You’re basically being a reverse-religious person.

15. rebelphotographer says: Feb 22, 2011 7:07 PM

Thanks, Camsgottogo. Well put. I couldn’t think of a better response, and I’m not a religious person.

16. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Feb 22, 2011 9:39 PM

Yes, no man should judge another, and we should all get one free five minute unicorn ride each and every Tuesday. I mean, if you are going to live in a fantasy land where no man should judge another I demand that we have, and get to ride, unicorns there. Come on! This is America. Judging people is what we do. Be an individual, not a sheep. Face the unknown. It’ll put hair on your chest.

17. canjura says: Feb 22, 2011 11:10 PM

I don’t think Bernard Pollard is the only ass.. but at least he doesn’t contradict himself. “This is America. Judging people is what we do. Be an individual, not a sheep.” Aren’t you following pattern of the “American people” judging? I’m just saying.

18. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Feb 23, 2011 11:41 AM

Once you can explain to me how American society functions under this thoery ([s]imply because you don’t believe with what they’re saying, it doesn’t mean you have any right to judge them for their lives and the way they live them), I will explain the difference between being a sheep and an individual to you. So, in your world, a guy kills another guy because he belives it is the right thing to do. Under your theory, no man is qualified to judge the actions of the murder becuase it involves him acting upon his beliefs. And I live in a fantasy world? Yeah, sure.

19. canjura says: Feb 25, 2011 6:03 AM

Killing and religion are two different things, but I guess someone as ignorant as you would never understand. None of the major religions (Christianity, Buddhism, Muslims, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism) condone murders, religious or non-religious murders.