Cam Newton: I did things in one year other players couldn’t in four

Cam Newton

One of the questions about Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is whether his relative lack of experience means he’s not polished enough to be ready for the NFL. But Newton views the fact that he played just one season at Auburn in a different light.

“I’m aware of that statement,” Newton told Dan Wetzel of Yahoo. “I don’t want to sound arrogant but I did something in one year people couldn’t do in their whole collegiate careers. We had a chance to do something great and we did it.”

It’s good that he doesn’t want to sound arrogant, but comments like that from Newton, and his desire to be an icon and entertainer, are the kinds of statements that make people wonder if Newton’s attitude is more like Ryan Leaf’s than Peyton Manning’s.

But Newton insists that he is, in fact, a lot like Manning in his approach to the game.

“Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, you look at how good they are every year,” Newton said. “The question is how do they do it? Nothing you can point to but hard work. In the offseason. In the regular season.”

When he meets with coaches in Indianapolis in the days ahead, Newton would be wise to stress his ambition to work as hard as Manning, Brady and Rodgers. And to ease up on the boasting about his college career, and his status as an icon.

Permalink 81 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
81 Responses to “Cam Newton: I did things in one year other players couldn’t in four”
  1. gbsparks says: Feb 23, 2011 5:50 AM

Rodgers, not Rogers. Newton sounds like yet another one year wonder.

2. tfbuckfutter says: Feb 23, 2011 5:57 AM

I think the Titans should draft him. He’s sounding more and more like Bud Adams’ kinda guy.

3. docmenace says: Feb 23, 2011 6:09 AM

Real transparent Cam, more he opens his mouth the more I already can’t stand him…

Maybe his Dad will be his agent.

4. tdbragg says: Feb 23, 2011 6:10 AM

Potential ? Yes . To start putting yourself in the same conversation as Manning , Brady and Rogers is a little rediculous . Two of those guys are first ballot Hall of Famers and Mr. Newton hasnt even been drafted yet . Chill out Cam , you have a long way to go .

5. loytomaki says: Feb 23, 2011 6:10 AM

I am not hating on anyone, and I do not like to see kids fail in the NFL but I am very worried when I hear statements like this. Maybe it is just the way he is being portrayed in news but I keep thinking he is more interested in “Being The Face of the Franchise” instead of “Becoming the Face of the Franchise”.

I just am afraid he will plunge on draft day, then he will start talking about how everyone is going to be sorry, then start talking about… talking I guess. I am afraid he is going to end up a distraction when he gets to a team and then another bust story.

I hope I am wrong.

6. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Feb 23, 2011 6:13 AM

Yeh well he also did some things other might not do in 4 years. Like lie, cheat and steal. Maybe he’s different, but he should study those that came before him. Study all those one year wonders at QB and then be able to explain why he’s NOT them instead of why he is Manning or Brady. Akili Smith?

7. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Feb 23, 2011 6:14 AM

Well if you don’t want to sound arrogant, don’t talk yourself up so much and already be comparing yourself to NFL greats. He’s just creating high expectations that he might not be able to achieve.

8. blkmanwtan says: Feb 23, 2011 6:24 AM

Let the HATE begin!

9. Akula says: Feb 23, 2011 6:29 AM

Great….another ME guy on the scene.

10. 0marooney says: Feb 23, 2011 6:35 AM

Hah. Since when was Aaron Rogers in the class of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady…

11. zar21 says: Feb 23, 2011 6:35 AM

Yeah, you don’t here too many stories of a Quarter back stealing a laptop, writing his names on it and him claiming to police he didn’t know it was stolen after tossing it out his window. He’s not smart which equates to NFL BUST.

12. xmgmx says: Feb 23, 2011 6:52 AM

Yep, the QB version of t.o. ME. ME. ME. I hope both those clowns are out of the NFL by 2012.

13. db105 says: Feb 23, 2011 6:53 AM

Some guys probably shouldn’t open their mouths.

14. voxveritass says: Feb 23, 2011 7:02 AM

Hi,
    My name is Cam Newton. Please bring that microphone closer so I can talk myselft out of the first round. By the way, you got twenty dollars I can hold until after the draft?

15. chapnastier says: Feb 23, 2011 7:09 AM

I wasn’t hoping he failed before but more just expecting it. With the last two days of undeserved arrogance, I now hope he has a terrible first year that humbles the hell out of him.

16. johnnyb216 says: Feb 23, 2011 7:13 AM

Wow! This guy comes off as extremely unlikeable! Must be all that mentoring favre has provided for him.

17. packattack1967 says: Feb 23, 2011 7:20 AM

Cam, some guys just scratched you off their list. In this environment no one needs a punk.

18. saberstud75 says: Feb 23, 2011 7:23 AM

Man, this guy just keeps reminding me of Vince Young more and more each day.

19. patriotswin says: Feb 23, 2011 7:26 AM

You also made more money in 1 year than other college players made in 4.

20. larrymcj says: Feb 23, 2011 7:31 AM

Count me among the many who are sick and tired of Cam Newton’s arrogance. IMHO, he is not nearly the player he thinks he is and his first year with the big boys will most likely prove this.

21. 12strikes says: Feb 23, 2011 7:40 AM

This guy reminds me of the chick from 40 year old virgin… “look at me….LOOK at me ….LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!”

22. famucancer says: Feb 23, 2011 7:43 AM

Here come the awm’s to get their hate on! LOL

23. bluepike says: Feb 23, 2011 7:48 AM

I said yesterday that this guy seems to be very fascinated with himself. That was much too mild of a statement – he has LOSER written all over him. I pity the team that drafts him.

24. mike83ri says: Feb 23, 2011 7:50 AM

No one seems to like this guy lol. I have a feeling fans of whatever team takes him will be more upset than Eagles fans when Donovan was taken over Ricky Williams.

25. jimmysee says: Feb 23, 2011 7:50 AM

Free advice to Cam — let your performance and work ethic do your talking for you.

Every time you open your mouth, you are doing yourself no favors.

What is this guy’s Wonderlic score, anyway?

26. tblitz25 says: Feb 23, 2011 7:50 AM

I go off of what I see and that is a kid with all of the physical tools required to dominate at the next level. A polished throwing motion and above average accuracy. All he did was lead his school/team to a 13-0 record pick up every award possible and win a national championship. Amidst controversy and scrutiny for 2 months Oh yeah and made Urban Meyer retire in the process. I think a coach should be able to work with that. The negatives people are talking about have nothing to do with his play. “Is he smart enough can he lead?” VY is 30-17 as a starter couldn’t lead a group of toddlers and scored a 6 on wonderlic. The “character issues” which are bogus he purchased a stolen laptop. He didn’t steal it. His Dad tried to get some money. These are the character issues everyone is worried about. Give me a break those two issues were just eliminated last week when he received a $1M contract from Under Armour. People want to compare him to VY and JaMarcus but those guys never wanted to play football. JaMarcus was drafted by Raiders #1 so can we actually take the fact that he was a bust all that serious. VY was like Matt Leinart all he wanted to do was enjoy the college life. If Mathew Stafford was a number 1 pick. I think Cam is too.

27. Panda Claus says: Feb 23, 2011 7:52 AM

This guy may turn out to be a once-in-a-generation player. Seems he still needs to work on his self-confidence though.

28. jimmysee says: Feb 23, 2011 7:55 AM

There is one other “one year college wonder” in the NFL — Matt Flynn of the Packers.

Matt started only one year at LSU — led the team to a national championship — and was drafted in the 7th round by Green Bay.

After three years of hard work behind Aaron, he is a firmly entrenched #2 who will get his chance to be a #1 somewhere else than Green Bay.

Matt should be a role model for Cam in every way

29. mattsffrd says: Feb 23, 2011 7:59 AM

are we sure he’s not a wide receiver? he talks like one…

30. robolundgren says: Feb 23, 2011 8:04 AM

“I did things in one year other players couldn’t in four”

Like get paid to play college football?

31. jc1958cool says: Feb 23, 2011 8:13 AM

wait till he see’s the playbook and the defenses, what is he going to do then, pull the ball down and run!! cam you are not mike vick, just an idiot!!!

32. grice208 says: Feb 23, 2011 8:16 AM

Man I don’t get it with these responses. He’s about to interview for the biggest job in his life. What is he supposed to say? “I suck?” He is SUPPOSED to sell himself and sound Confident! Would you go to a job interview and NOT sell yourself. Would you not speak about what your abilities and accomplishments are? I don’t get why everyone is so ready to kill this kid with every word he says…and unfairly compare him to Jamarcus Russell or Vince Young. No one knows what this kid will do in the NFL just like we don’t know what ANY of these QB’s will do. They all could be bust or starts…who know’s for sure? For all we know, he could be the next Warren Moon and throw for a bagillion yards. Regardless of all the negative crap I’m hearing about Cam, I”ll bet he tears up the combine and end up the 1st pick in the draft.

33. abr173rd says: Feb 23, 2011 8:19 AM

The statement I did, not we did speaks volumes about this guy. Is he trying to not get drafted into the NFL?

34. tryagainplease says: Feb 23, 2011 8:19 AM

and people hated tebow…

35. istateyourname says: Feb 23, 2011 8:20 AM

“I did things in one year other players couldn’t in four”

What a coincidence, your daddy did things other people shouldn’t do at all.

36. joetoronto says: Feb 23, 2011 8:24 AM

This guy has trouble tattooed on his forehead.

37. btaggs says: Feb 23, 2011 8:26 AM

“I don’t want to sound arrogant but I did something in one year people couldn’t do in their whole collegiate careers.”

So did Akili Smith.

38. stinkfingers says: Feb 23, 2011 8:28 AM

This guy’s ego is incredible. I havent seen this much arrogance before the draft since Deion Sanders.

39. dansnydersux says: Feb 23, 2011 8:31 AM

0marooney says:
    Feb 23, 2011 6:35 AM
    Hah. Since when was Aaron Rogers in the class of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady…

Well, Aaron Rodgers does have as many Super Bowl wins as Peyton Manning and a better playoff record. Just saying.

40. oldschoolfootball says: Feb 23, 2011 8:33 AM

“I did something in one year people couldn’t do in their whole collegiate careers.”

So Cam, it was 1 vs 11 on every offensive play? Something you might want to learn is credit your teammates and be humble about your performance. That is if you want to be like Manning, Brady and Rodgers.

41. 6250claimer says: Feb 23, 2011 8:36 AM

I would pay a bazillion dollars to see Night Train Lane in his prime lay this chump out with a forearm shiver. BAM!!! Welcome to the NFL, son!

42. rajuncajun28 says: Feb 23, 2011 8:38 AM

This kid is an idiot, but what do you expect from someone who was educated at Awbarn? He is the Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz…if I only had a brain….

Wait until he meets Matthews, Vilma and Peppers….LMAO…let’s see if his college accomplishments matter then….what a dbag….

43. phinheads says: Feb 23, 2011 8:45 AM

How funny would it be if Oakland drafted this guy? If it were only possible.

44. patfic15 says: Feb 23, 2011 8:45 AM

Not to defend Cam, but 180K in a year is pretty solid…

45. 305hurricane says: Feb 23, 2011 8:48 AM

gbsparks says:
    Feb 23, 2011 5:50 AM
    Rodgers, not Rogers. Newton sounds like yet another one year wonder.

1 . Im not seeing “Rodgers” spelled incorrectly.
    2. If anything he looks , not sounds, like a one year wonder. Which I disagree with, I think he will have a mediocre NFL career but a career nonetheless.

46. outsiderj says: Feb 23, 2011 8:49 AM

What… steal a laptop?

47. crazycane says: Feb 23, 2011 8:50 AM

Newton is 100% CORRECT!! He made more money in 1 year than most college kids make in 4.

Wonder how he feels about getting a pay cut when he get’s to the NFL.

48. obmij76 says: Feb 23, 2011 8:51 AM

Doesnt want to sound arrogant? If anyone has ever read his Twitter comments they’d know he’s all about himself. Maybe he’ll turn out to be good but I wouldnt want my team taking that chance on him.

49. brutus3413 says: Feb 23, 2011 9:03 AM

#1 rule in sales… If you’re talking, you’re losing.

50. supashug says: Feb 23, 2011 9:04 AM

He did do something in one year a lot of kids will never do

HE GOT BOOTED FROM A GREAT DI COLLEGE WHILE ON A FREE RIDE :)

idiot

51. getweird4u says: Feb 23, 2011 9:08 AM

Yeah like make 200,000$ for playing college football this guy is driving potential teams away in droves….bad apple!

52. vadog says: Feb 23, 2011 9:09 AM

Mr. Newton is obviously a very talented athlete. He may turn out to be stellar in the NFL! However, a little humility in life will take a person a long way. I wish he and whatever team drafts him good luck!

53. dolphan343 says: Feb 23, 2011 9:11 AM

Just when I was stating to like the guy. Hey Cam thei is a team sport. Now you turn your back on your teammates and the college/ coaches that gave you the opportunity. Wow! Also the statement that you did more in one year than most do in their carreer is absurd in the fact that the great ones that you put yourself in the same category in in your comments (Manning) continue to do it day in and day out and never make these types of comment. Rediculous. Best of luck in life. You will need it.

54. FoozieGrooler says: Feb 23, 2011 9:11 AM

The more I hear about this guy, the more he’s starting to sound like the next Ocho Cinco.

55. ninjapleazee says: Feb 23, 2011 9:12 AM

poster material for defensive players to take a good shot at him and welcome him to the NFL

56. gregjennings85 says: Feb 23, 2011 9:18 AM

What? And this guy’s represented by Bus Cook, and his role model is JUDAS?

I’m sure he’ll turn out really well.

57. buzmeg says: Feb 23, 2011 9:22 AM

From an intelligent Newton to a self indulged Newton:

“Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.” -Isaac Newton

58. thejuddstir says: Feb 23, 2011 9:25 AM

Newton may as well wear a billboard at the combine that says “Guaranteed Trouble”……….T.O. meet your competition.

59. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Feb 23, 2011 9:30 AM

I can already see the hype machine burning up in the immediate future. Enter Ryan Leaf-like blowups at the media and Jamarcus Russell-like performance.

This will be incredibly fun to watch.

60. realdeal12 says: Feb 23, 2011 9:52 AM

This clown yaps too much. he is setting himself for failure. The more he talks the more I think he will be a bust. Just shut up and let your skill do the talking.

61. thetooloftools says: Feb 23, 2011 9:53 AM

If he’s this stupid now, wait till he really gets paid!

62. angrycorgi says: Feb 23, 2011 10:01 AM

Cam Newton is the Kanye West of the (future) NFL. Good luck with that to whoever is dumb enough to draft him high.

63. angrycorgi says: Feb 23, 2011 10:01 AM

Do you like fish sticks, Cam? Do ya??

64. ratedrsuperstar1331 says: Feb 23, 2011 10:06 AM

I’m going to call it already. Cam Newton is already the one of the biggest bust picks in the history of whatever franchise picks him.

65. sean6886 says: Feb 23, 2011 10:13 AM

Let’s see you play in the NFL before you start opening your mouth.
    I like confidence, but there’s a difference between confidence and arrogance, especially when you got personal issues that are an open book.

66. trickbunny says: Feb 23, 2011 10:27 AM

famucancer says:
    Feb 23, 2011 7:43 AM

Here come the awm’s to get their hate on! LOL
    ————————————————-
    What an ignorant statement. Is anyone allowed to not like someone anymore without being accused of “hate”? Nobody had a problem with Cam Newton until he opened his big mouth and began making ridiculous, arrogant, and egotistical statements. 99% of people don’t like that kind of stuff. Maybe you’re the 1% that does… or maybe you’re related to him.

If you act like an a-hole, people will treat you like one. There’s no “hate” in that, so grow up.

67. bigbigodnarb says: Feb 23, 2011 10:31 AM

People here are idiots and like I said before, much of this hostility is latent racial animus. He’s confident, but because he’s black, it becomes arrogance and he’s portrayed as “uppity.” He made a factual statement in defense of his one year of college football. He led a team to the National Championship. People claim that he was acting as if he did it all by himself but he clearly said “We had a chance to do something great and we did it.” **WE** He acknowledged that it was a team game. People are claiming that he put himself in the same breath as Manning, Brady and Rodgers. But he did no such thing. All he did was say that he realizes that he has to work hard to be successful.

68. bigbigodnarb says: Feb 23, 2011 10:33 AM

oldschoolfootball says:
    Feb 23, 2011 8:33 AM

————————————-

Cam Newton: “We had a chance to do something great and we did it.” The next sentence acknowledged that it was a team game but you deliberately left it off to turn him into some sort of stereotype.

69. tbd3 says: Feb 23, 2011 10:49 AM

I think he could have phrased this better and made it more of a “seize the opportunity” thing and less of a “I’m the best” kind of thing.

70. whatswiththehate says: Feb 23, 2011 10:51 AM

Wow…Mr.Smith do u plan on adding to this article everyday. Do U plan on taking every word that comes out of this kids mouth and use it to show the world the true colors of this society.

Honestly, I wish folks would stop being so arrogant and judgemental and see where this kid is coming from but I guess that is to hard when ur an African-American athlete and some folks feel you should only be seen and not heard.

Way, to do Cam, your honesty is refreshing and obviously way to honest and “transparent” for some.

Keep speaking ur mind cause it’s clear no matter what u say, the haters will come out in fullforce to bash u, so speak on.

Such honestly didn’t hurt Peyton Manning, so I don’t see why it should hurt u….UNLESS

71. whatswiththehate says: Feb 23, 2011 11:01 AM

Also, judging by the “thumb up and down button,” it’s clear Mr. Smith knows his followers and is preaching to their small-mindedness and bigotry. I will make sure when I see another link to this site to check the writer.

Mr. Smith, ur dismissed.

And, FYI, to the many Smith followers on here, if u did ur homework, u would see that Cam also led Blinn to their championship. But it’s clear that these sports writers are intentionally dimissioning his achievements and he is standing up for himself…WHAT’S NOT TO LIKE ABOUT T HE KID…It’s clear way to many of you don’t have a problem with hating and encouraging bullying.

72. whatswiththehate says: Feb 23, 2011 11:06 AM

trickbunny says:
    Feb 23, 2011 10:27 AM
    famucancer says:
    Feb 23, 2011 7:43 AM

—————————————-
    Find another vocabulary word…

What, he opened his mouth and told the truth and some writer chose to spin it???? FYI, 99% of the people need to look at themselves in their mirrows cause their behavior on this site shows real ignorance and arrogance.

Amazing how quick u folks love to label a black athlete as “arrogant.” Go find another word cause u done wore that one out..

73. voxveritass says: Feb 23, 2011 1:38 PM

@whatswiththehate

Dear Cam,
    Stop posting. It’s not helping. Strict radio silence will make you an awful lot of money or in this case keep you from losing any more of it. Nothing you say at this point will impress anyone worth impressing, it’ll only damage your bank statements.

74. azlifestyle says: Feb 23, 2011 3:16 PM

This kid is going to be a bust ala Vince Young. He has more talent than JaMarcus Russell so you cant compare him there but he will put himself in a position of grandure in his mind and will flop on the field. His game does not translate to the NFL. Thing that sucks the most about this is all the $$$ he will collect while failing. I fail at work, I get shown the door. These punks suck it up and they just keep collecting the green.

75. kinggw says: Feb 23, 2011 3:56 PM

I dont understand why Newton has to be humble to make people “feel good” about him. Whether you like him or not he is right. He made a very mediocre team a national champion.

It wasnt Chizik’s coaching or Malzahn’s schemes that made Auburn a success this year. It was Newton plain and simple. Newton has nothing to apologize for. Some of you including the writer of this article need to get a life.

76. r0b1b0y says: Feb 23, 2011 4:55 PM

you guys think you are going out on such a limb to say this guy is going to fail? the odds are stacked against him everyway possible….also there is a difference between being a loud mouth cancer and simply being over confident and aspiring to greatness….you same haters are the first to call the nfl the no fun league then you start acting like somebodies ole paw paw when someone puts their head above the crowd…

77. getweird4u says: Feb 23, 2011 8:23 PM

@rob1roy
    cecil is that u?

78. Deb says: Feb 24, 2011 1:25 PM

angrycorgi says:

Cam Newton is the Kanye West of the (future) NFL.
    ————————————————-
    Hands down, the best comparison I’ve heard yet. Kanye is brilliant, talented, attractive, hard-working, and a great collaborator. But he wrecks it all with his Big Mouth. Sounds like Cam may be following his lead.

@whatswiththehate and bigbigodnarb …

Oh, come on, fellas. I adore last year’s Heisman winner Mark Ingram, and his skin is black. But he doesn’t talk about himself as though he’s the second coming of Jim Brown. People aren’t reacting to Cam’s race, they’re reacting to his comments. If you want to get upset about “latent racial animus,” there are plenty of real examples to choose from–like the fact that most Americans have now become convinced the President is not an American citizen :roll: Don’t try to create a racial issue where there isn’t one.

79. grimmlock42 says: Feb 26, 2011 3:52 PM

Did he just mention he did things in 1 year, guys couldn’t do in 4? Oh Great!!! He’s got the Jamarcus Russellitis disease in him. What’s the Jamarcus Russellitis disease? Let’s see.

SEC quarterback – check
    Freakish size for a quarterback – check
    Only had 1 good year in college – check
    Won’t last 4 years in the NFL – (still pending)
    Still pending my ass – CHECK

80. deconjonesbitchslap says: Feb 26, 2011 8:57 PM

get paid $185,000 probably does take most college athletes four years to do. so cam is right.

81. dgforreal says: Mar 2, 2011 10:19 AM

Everytime this dude speaks he weakens the nation.

Ok, not really but I’ve always wanted to bust that line out.

I don’t know about this guy, hopefully his confidence translates to good performance on the gridiron, but I’d be a bit uneasy if he was drafted to the team I follow.