Sergio Kindle thinks he’ll be cleared soon

BCS Championship Football

Seven months after he suffered a fractured skull in a fall down a flight of stairs, Ravens linebacker Sergio Kindle thinks he’s close to being cleared for contact — although he admits that he doesn’t know for sure if his doctors agree with his assessment.

I feel confident that I will get cleared,” Kindle told Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun on Tuesday. “But how I feel and what the doctors are evaluating are totally different things.”

Kindle says he has stayed in shape by running and lifting weights. He also says he has a rather odd method of testing the progress of his fractured skull.

“I tend to put a helmet on and bang my head against the wall –- not ridiculous crazy hard -– to see how it works. I’ve felt fine,” Kindle said. “I want to see what I can do before the doctors evaluate me.”

Note to PFT readers: We don’t recommend trying this yourself, whether or not you have a fractured skull.

Kindle was the Ravens’ first pick (43rd overall) in the 2010 NFL draft, but he never got on the field after suffering the injury shortly before the start of training camp.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
17 Responses to “Sergio Kindle thinks he’ll be cleared soon”
  1. patfic15 says: Feb 23, 2011 8:42 AM

Just be sure to clear the stairs this time, Sergio.

2. mike83ri says: Feb 23, 2011 8:48 AM

Wow, and to think I wanted the Pats to draft this guy.

3. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Feb 23, 2011 9:07 AM

“I want to see what I can do before the doctors evaluate me.”

Did the stairs knock the sense out of you??? You aren’t a doctor and your head ain’t no joke. You rush back from injury like that (especially by you know knocking your head against a wall before the docs say it’s ok…if that’s ever ok) you could take an early exit from next year…if there is a next year.

4. supashug says: Feb 23, 2011 9:08 AM

then I drink a few beers and drive around town,

honestly, fell down stairs while allegedly sleepwalking, not drunk like most college kids who fall down stairs at 3am

while rehabbing he got popped for DWI

now he admits to banging his fractured skull against the wall

someone better muzzle this kid

5. richm2256 says: Feb 23, 2011 9:24 AM

————————————————–
    Did this guy score a “minus” in the Wonderlick?

Seriously, after what this guy has put his head through in the first place, how does THIS seem like a “good” idea to anybody?

6. help me says: Feb 23, 2011 9:40 AM

What a coincidence. As a Chargers fan, I bang my head on the wall, too.

7. steelersmichele says: Feb 23, 2011 9:59 AM

“I tend to put a helmet on and bang my head against the wall”

Hopefully he’s using the new “concussion proof” helmets.

8. krow101 says: Feb 23, 2011 10:03 AM

Trouble in college… trouble in the pros. This guy is a bad apple.

9. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Feb 23, 2011 10:22 AM

This guy has become nothing more than a punch line. Wonder if he’ll ever get a chance to turn things around. At least he has one thing going for him. Despite having to play the Steelers twice a year, he’ll only have to worry about James Harrison’s rediculous helmet hits while playing on special teams.

10. hevsharpe1 says: Feb 23, 2011 10:26 AM

What aren’t they telling us about his injury? They keep talking about a skull injury, but he goes to rehab several times a week. That sounds more like a brain injury to me. What kind of rehab do you do for a fractured skull?

11. henryjones20 says: Feb 23, 2011 10:45 AM

haters in the building in the AM. already?? wow,talkn bout wonderlic scores and crap! the guy fractures his skull and idiots have the nerve 2 take shots at him? KARMA !!

12. burntorangehorn says: Feb 23, 2011 10:52 AM

I had always been a big Kindle fan, but he needs one of those breathalyzers surgically attached to his body so he has to pass it before he drives, gets on stairs, gets out of bed, etc.

13. richabbs says: Feb 23, 2011 11:15 AM

If this guy can get healthy and mature, both big ifs, he could be a difference-maker on the Raven D. Watching film of him from his Texas days, the only hybrid LB/DE that is equal to him in this year’s draft is Robert Quinn from North Carolina, who will likely go in the top 10. It will be interesting to see if the Ravens draft a DE or OLB in the first two rounds. If they don’t, then they are pretty confident Kindle will able to go in 2011. If they don’t think he will be ready, then I think they take a pass rusher in the 1st two rounds.

14. habsman says: Feb 23, 2011 11:36 AM

Did this guy gragiate from colige?

15. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Feb 23, 2011 12:06 PM

Pre-NFL DUI’s
    Sergio Kindle – 1
    Carlos Dunlap – 1

DUI’s while in the NFL
    Sergio Kindle – 1
    Carlos Dunlap – 0

NFL Sacks
    Sergio Kindle – 0
    Carlos Dunlap – 9.5 (while only playing in 12 games, second only to DROY Suh, for sacks by a rookie)

Flights of stairs fallen down resulting in season ending injury
    Sergio Kindle – 1
    Carlos Dunlap – 0

But at draft time, Dunlap was a typical Bengals pick- ignoring risk and focusing on reward (a quick google search reveals that Dunlap “has bust written all over him”), and Kindle was the steal of the draft, an example of Ozzie Newsome working his magic.

16. jebbiesmallz says: Feb 23, 2011 1:56 PM

Correction to all of the above — and what makes kindle’s story so bizarre — is that he fell TWO flights.

17. rushbacker says: Feb 23, 2011 4:44 PM

I bet Kindle makes Ozzie Newsome want to bang his head against the wall as well.