Warren Moon admits Cam Newton puts “cart before the horse”

CORRECTION BCS Championship Football

Former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton caused a ruckus earlier this week by calling himself an “entertainer and an icon” and by boasting that he has accomplished more in one year than most accomplish in their entire collegiate careers.  Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon, who has been helping Newton prepare for the next level, realizes that Newton has a habit of getting ahead of himself.

“[T]hose types of statements are a little bit putting the cart before the horse,” Moon told Bill Pidto of Sirius Mad Dog Radio, “but this kid has the ability to be that and he’s kinda done that on the college level with what he did in just one year at the University of Auburn.  But he’s got to start all over again going into the National Football League.  He just really thinks in terms of being great all the time and sometimes, like I said, he gets the cart before the horse and he’s got to just slow down a little bit.  But he really feels like he’s going to be a great, great player and that’s what he trains to be.”

Moon seems to realize that only so much can be done to keep Cam in check.

“[Y]ou try and filter that as much as you possibly can but I don’t go into every interview with him,” Moon explained.  “Again, that’s just how confident the kid is.  He trains with a lot of confidence, he has a lot of confidence in his ability, and he could be a little bit more careful with some of the things he says that kind of show that confidence a little bit too much.  Sometimes confidence should be something that you keep inside and something that you should just show when you go out on the football field or whatever arena that you are competing in and that’s something he’s got to do a better job of.”

So will the comments help or hurt Newton?

“I think some might and then some might enjoy it,” Moon said.  “Some might like that confidence.  I think how you handle that confidence is the important part of it and I’m sure those suggestions will be made to him by other people as well.   But I would rather have a kid that is really confident in his ability and also goes about doing it as opposed to just sitting back and saying a bunch of things but not really going about doing it than somebody that’s not that confident.  So you definitely want a confident person at that position, somebody that feels like he’s going to be a great leader and somebody that feels like he can get the job done when he’s asked to perform in certain situations.”

We agree with Moon — it’s important for any quarterback to be confident.  But there’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

Besides, boasting about being an “entertainer” and an “icon” doesn’t indicate confidence.  It’s evidence of hubris, and it will only get worse if Newton’s name is called at the top of the 2011 draft.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Warren Moon admits Cam Newton puts “cart before the horse””
  1. steelernation1 says: Feb 23, 2011 7:41 PM

lol wait till he takes some shots against the likes of lewis and harrison before he runs his mouth

2. scytherius says: Feb 23, 2011 7:43 PM

Yeah. The Vets are gonna LOVE Cam “The icon” Newton when some poor team takes him in desperation.

Pass on this joke.

3. raiderpeter408 says: Feb 23, 2011 7:47 PM

Jamarcus Russell Part 2

4. burntorangehorn says: Feb 23, 2011 7:51 PM

5. ron32082 says: Feb 23, 2011 7:55 PM

Someone will waste a high draft pick and a lot of Money on Cam Newton

6. bigfog says: Feb 23, 2011 8:05 PM

Is it wrong of me to kind of dislike this kid already? I don’t follow college football, so I’m a bit new to the Cam Newton experience.

7. blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 23, 2011 8:06 PM

I sure hope the Redskins don’t take him………For that matter, I don’t think he’s going to be a great NFL QB. In five years, we’ll know if I’m right or not.

8. truwarier90 says: Feb 23, 2011 8:08 PM

warren is jealous, because cam wont have to go to canada and play in minus 40 temperature like how warren did. Warren is also jealous, because cam has a national title, a heisman, groupies, and courtside laker tickets. Cam is the next elway. Case Closed.

9. dsoapes says: Feb 23, 2011 8:10 PM

Newton will be the biggest bust of the 2011 draft. You heard it here first.

10. getweird4u says: Feb 23, 2011 8:14 PM

gee,ya think

11. lionfan419 says: Feb 23, 2011 8:14 PM

He will be the next Troy Smith!!

12. blkmanwtan says: Feb 23, 2011 8:18 PM

Let the HATE begin!

13. WingT says: Feb 23, 2011 8:35 PM

Cam is the real deal. Warren Moon knows a little bit about being a successful QB in the NFL.

14. blmonroe12 says: Feb 23, 2011 8:44 PM

I haven’t seen too many articles about what his teammates think of his act.. I think that would be really telling about what kind of a person he is behind the scenes..

15. commandercornpone says: Feb 23, 2011 8:48 PM

pick machine on the way

16. JimmySmith says: Feb 23, 2011 8:59 PM

The guy sounds like a complete idiot, so in that sense, I hope the Vikings draft him.

17. ravensfan4life52 says: Feb 23, 2011 9:14 PM

Ok i still don’t see what Cam Newton has said wrong. He said he’s a football player, no disputing that. He said he’s an entertainer, that’s what football players are. He said he’s an icon, at Auburn he is an icon. He said he’s accomplished more in one year than most do in college. Most football players in college never win the big game. everything he has said is true, what’s wrong with that? nothing. once again stop hating.

18. bullybirds says: Feb 23, 2011 9:20 PM

Dont worry guys, LB will humble him. I hope he does well, but he has bust-o-matic written all over him. He might even be the deluxe bust-o-matic (that means quicker in home appliance speak).

19. touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 23, 2011 9:26 PM

I think Jamarcus is a better comparison than VY. VY didn’t want Reggie Bush’s Heisman. Cam Newton would have not only said he wanted it, but that it was rightfully his to begin with…

20. lostsok says: Feb 23, 2011 9:33 PM

“Saying “I play great” is also incorrect, but it’s not like Newton would know an adverb from an adjective anyway.”

Well, unless the student whose paper he stole has good grammar skills.

21. gdonz14 says: Feb 23, 2011 9:35 PM

If it wasn’t obvious before it is now. Cam is perfect for the Jets.

22. smokehouse56 says: Feb 23, 2011 9:40 PM

Newton buffaloed the Auburn fans but he won’t get away with it in the NFL. Of course Auburn has never been a long term football power. Newton just watches those bozo’s at ESPN way too much. Are there any teams in the SEC not in NCAA trouble?

23. bdert says: Feb 23, 2011 9:41 PM

Cam just has to realize the type of microscope he’s under at this point…& understand th@ there will vehement strictures hurled @ him from all directions…I think we all understand why…

24. snookau says: Feb 23, 2011 9:57 PM

Looks like Warren puts the “University before the “Auburn”…

25. dmobey says: Feb 23, 2011 10:14 PM

He’s not been accused of assault.

26. hosmachine says: Feb 23, 2011 10:27 PM

the heisman jinx has taken hold already wow

27. johnnyb216 says: Feb 23, 2011 10:50 PM

The owners that like this are not true football people. They are just thinking of ways to sell jerseys and turn a profit. He would be a perfect fit in minnesota.

28. richm2256 says: Feb 23, 2011 10:53 PM

The kid hasn’t even been drafted and I’m already sick of hearing from him.

29. jebdamone says: Feb 23, 2011 11:24 PM

peeps, chill them doggies out! in reading the transcript i don’t think that cam said anything wrong either, and if so, barely. i think we always fail to consider how scrutinized and watched a guy like newton is right now, he can’t always say exactly the right things. yeah, he talks, but is it his fault that he is a superstar right now? he leads sports center constantly at this point and he IS probably an icon at auburn…when was the last time auburn won title? i admit that i started out a hater but, all things aside, the thing that swayed me was watching his post game press conferences.

30. eaglelover1 says: Feb 23, 2011 11:55 PM

smokehouse56 says:
    Feb 23, 2011 9:40 PM

???????????????????????????????????????????

you obviously don’t watch College Football. Auburn has had 3 12-0 Season in the past 12 season 2 of which they were on probation and could not compete in bowl games.

31. packfaninpackland says: Feb 24, 2011 12:01 AM

I have $1000.00 that says Cam Newton has no idea what the expression “cart before the horse” means !

32. kennysview says: Feb 24, 2011 12:02 AM

Yeah something about this guy is funny. As bad as the QB situation is in SF, I don’t want us to draft this guy.

33. patfic15 says: Feb 24, 2011 12:11 AM

Anyone notice how quiet Newton was during the season? Now that someone HAS to pay to make him play, I suppose the real Cam is shining through…what a douche

34. riverhorsey says: Feb 24, 2011 12:13 AM

sounds like the next big bust is coming

35. tryagainplease says: Feb 24, 2011 12:23 AM

‘Saying “I intend to play great,” for example, is far more attractive to a coach than saying “I play great.”’

well duh- in other news, water is wet.

since everyone now thinks he’s an arrogant prick, i’m preparing for an onslaught of cam acting particularly humble. i’m not sure which is worse.

36. dfinpds says: Feb 24, 2011 1:24 AM

Linebackers will nickname him “Fig Newton” because of his soft middle

37. msadpoet says: Feb 24, 2011 1:54 AM

Who was the last QB to come out of college that talked like this and was worth a crap? Yeah, I cant think of one either. I hope he does well and wins. But without the attitude adjustment I don’t see him being a believable leader of a team.

38. phillyfinsfan says: Feb 24, 2011 5:15 AM

He may appear confident on the outside, but deep down inside he is insecure. Guys like him feel the need for constant attention. To me, that’s a sign of insecurity.

39. ncoolong says: Feb 24, 2011 6:09 AM

What a complete horse’s ass. He’d be off my draft board just for this comment. I’d take a dude with a shaky past over one who thinks of himself as an “entertainer.”

40. MichaelEdits says: Feb 24, 2011 6:18 AM

We know the Panthers won’t sign him because of the risk. They punt on 4th down, take FGs instead of TDs, and (to borrow from that other sport) take the base hit instead of swinging for the bleachers. Wimpy wimpy wimpy…

41. ifyouthinkofgarbagethinkofakeem says: Feb 24, 2011 6:52 AM

Cam Newton is going to be a bust!!
    I can’t wait until someone like Harrison
    Or Troy polamalu pop this guy in the head.

42. crubenst says: Feb 24, 2011 8:03 AM

“Saying ‘I intend to play great,’ for example, is far more attractive to a coach than saying ‘I play great.’”

EXACTLY!

Its the difference between saying “I need to do something to get there” (i.e. practice hard and study) vs. saying “I’m already there” (i.e. no need for practice and study.

Reminds me of Mike Vick coming into Atlanta with less skills.

43. tommythek says: Feb 24, 2011 8:04 AM

I would love to listen to Jerry Richardson debating a contract with Cam Newton

44. realitypolice says: Feb 24, 2011 8:31 AM

I think Warren Moon can put aside any aspirations he may have had towards a career “advising” NFL prospects.

Especially prospects from the “University of Auburn”.

What a dope.

45. realitypolice says: Feb 24, 2011 8:38 AM

bdert says:
    Feb 23, 2011 9:41 PM
    ===================

Is it because he committed a felony and then tried to destroy the evidence when the police came for him?

Is it because he stole a paper from another student and put his name on it?

Is it because he extorted money from Auburn and attempted to extort money from Miss. State? (and don’t tell me his father did it without his knowledge. If you believe that you’re a blind fool)

Is it because he puts his foot in his mouth every time he opens it?

OOOhhhhhhhh……. I get what you’re saying.

It’s because everyone that doubts him is racist.

Of course it is.