Marvin Lewis on Bengals’ bad year: “It’s my fault”

Cincinnati Bengals v New England Patriots Getty Images

Terrell Owens thinks the Bengals’ problem in 2010 was that they didn’t have good coaching. It turns out that Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis thinks Owens is right.

“I don’t think I did a very good job — it’s my fault,” Lewis said today on NFL Network. “I didn’t do a good enough job. I didn’t get our guys in a position to win the football game.”

Lewis also hinted, however, that he didn’t think his two big-name receivers, Owens and Chad Ochocinco, did a particularly good job, saying that Ochocinco didn’t have one of his better seasons and that Owens is likely to leave as a free agent.

“I think when you’re playing NFL football, your best players have to win the game by making plays,” Lewis said.

As for Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, who has said he wants to be traded and would rather retire than return to Cincinnati, Lewis doesn’t seem to think Palmer will get his wish.

“I know my boss and owner is not going to trade him, so we just have to move forward,” Lewis said. “We’re going to put the football team together based on that. . . . I don’t know what will happen with Carson in the future.”

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Marvin Lewis on Bengals’ bad year: “It’s my fault””
  1. im4cincy says: Feb 25, 2011 3:12 PM

Several reasons mentioned above makes it easy for me not to renew my $1,400 season tickets

who-dey :(

2. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Feb 25, 2011 3:15 PM

How about all those other years? Lewis has had TWO seasons out of 8 above .500 and never won a playoff game. That’s 25% of the seasons he’s coached above .500 and 0% winnding percentage in the playoffs. Let’s not even mention the criminal record/history of your players.
    Wow…let’s run out and give this guy an extension!

3. medtxpack says: Feb 25, 2011 3:18 PM

dont beat yourself up to much Marvin!
    was it your responsibility, YES
    was it all your fault, NO WAY
    clean up that locker room and youll get more wins…

4. habibthomas says: Feb 25, 2011 3:26 PM

Kudos to Marvin for stepping to the plate, not that he never has when things go wrong. Too bad TO has to always find someone to blame

5. hitdog042 says: Feb 25, 2011 3:32 PM

I stopped getting season’s 3 years ago. And why not? I now just drive down on Sunday morning and scalp seats in the 100′s for 40 bucks. Best financial move I’ve made.

6. FoozieGrooler says: Feb 25, 2011 3:33 PM

As much as I dislike the Bungles, props to Lewis for having the nuts to take the heat, even though it really might not have been his fault.

7. hitdog042 says: Feb 25, 2011 3:42 PM

ctd.. the best part of that move is I don’t have to pay for pre season games and games I don’t want to go to. 2 years ago v.s the Bears I got in the club for 60 dollars, 35 yard line, full club access. Until the team gets better (if) that’s the way to go. It’s not like I’m losing out on playoff tickets or anything.

8. hitdog042 says: Feb 25, 2011 3:47 PM

thereisalwaysnextyear: How many .500 teams happened before Lewis?

Hmmmmm. 1990 seems about right.

Lewis is a good coach coaching a badly run football team. The fact he’s overcome Mike Brown to get to the playoffs twice is a miracle.

9. enders9 says: Feb 25, 2011 3:49 PM

Kudos to Marvin for admitting he’s a terrible coach.

But he wasn’t telling anyone anything they didn’t already know.

10. enders9 says: Feb 25, 2011 4:28 PM

hitdog042 says: Feb 25, 2011 3:47 PM

thereisalwaysnextyear: How many .500 teams happened before Lewis?

Hmmmmm. 1990 seems about right.

——————–

Mike Brown, and the rest of the Bengals front office, is terrible.

But that has nothing to do with Marvin Lewis’ terrible clock management, nor his inability to make any adjustments at halftime.

Marvin may eventually figure it out and head coach a superbowl team. But that won’t happen any time soon.

11. sungateman says: Feb 25, 2011 4:56 PM

I hope I don’t eat these words, but I still believe that Marv can get it done. The best acquisition the Bengals have made is Gruden. Our offense before was talent without coaching. Now, lets see what talent and coaching can get done. I believe this is one of Mr. Browns best calls!!!

12. stilllovemybungles says: Feb 25, 2011 5:45 PM

I agree with cleaning up the locker room…I also think this includes getting rid of Carson Palmer.. I personally would love to see Kevin Kolb in stripes.

13. vikesfan4ever says: Feb 25, 2011 5:48 PM

Was’nt his fault! He had 2 headaches for receivers!

14. 0marooney says: Feb 25, 2011 5:51 PM

The Bengals will be 4-12 in 2011.