NFL team threw Cam Newton off guard in interview

Cam Newton AP

We’ve already given our take on Cam Newton’s engrossing performance at the podium Saturday.

According to a report by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, he was less composed during one interview with a team Saturday.  Schefter says a team asked him about when Newton didn’t take a knee at the end of the BCS title game as instructed, instead sneaking the ball.

Newton reportedly acted “didn’t have a favorable reaction” and got defensive.

On Saturday with the media, Newton mentioned how challenging the rapid fire interviews with teams at the Combine could be.

“One thing I can say for each and every team they keep you on our toes,” Newton said.

A few other highlights from his session:

On his journey over the last year:  “I’m talking to you guys and to know that 365 days ago I was attending class at Auburn.  Even the Auburn fans didn’t know what they were getting.   It’s a wonder what God can do in a person’s life . . . this fast.”

On confidence versus cockiness:  “I’m a confident person. It was instilled in me at a young age to believe in myself first and foremost. Because if I don’t believe in myself, who do I expect to believe in myself?”

On the transition from the spread offense:  “Obviously, everybody knows that Cam has been in a spread offense and I have been trying to work as much as possible on trying to be fluid.”

On his place in the scheme of things:  “One guy had mentioned it in a meeting,  he said the NFL doesn’t owe anybody nothing. With Cam Newton or without, the NFL will be.”

Newton owned up to his mistakes at Florida, and defended his father when asked if NFL teams questioned his Cecil Newton’s role in his son’s business dealings.

“Yes, sir, the question has been asked. My father is just like any other father that wants the best for his son. He wants to see his son succeed in every way possible.”

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
49 Responses to “NFL team threw Cam Newton off guard in interview”
  1. hobartbaker says: Feb 26, 2011 6:31 PM

Auburn fans still don’t know what they’re getting. That remains before the NCAA investigation committee.

2. jw731 says: Feb 26, 2011 6:32 PM

Newton reportedly acted “didn’t have a favorable reaction” and got defensive.
    ————————————–
    What the hell does this even mean?

3. commandercornpone says: Feb 26, 2011 6:37 PM

why yes, god can let a person make a total ass out of himself.

betting his knee gets whacked and 15 years from now he is begging for interviews.

4. duanethomas says: Feb 26, 2011 6:40 PM

1st Bishes!

5. chapnastier says: Feb 26, 2011 6:48 PM

He also mentioned his talks with the Cowboys

6. usmutts says: Feb 26, 2011 6:58 PM

As noted in two quotations here, and as reported by Schefter on TV this afternoon, Mr. Newton refers to himself in the third person.

This is a very bad sign. It could indicate a significant personality disorder. This alone should be sufficient to dissuade anyone from trusting his judgment.

Too bad, really.

7. citizenstrange says: Feb 26, 2011 7:06 PM

It’s nice to know that God is at least taking care of Cam Newton …… even if in regard to the protesters in Libya he is sitting this one out.

8. wawa33 says: Feb 26, 2011 7:19 PM

“Cam knows that Cam took money with his father.”
    The 3rd person references should scare off any team.

9. terrellblowens says: Feb 26, 2011 7:21 PM

I can’t understand why people hate him so much.
    I guarantee almost every major sports program is indirectly making sure their star athletes get their stuff from the boosters. These kids who grow up with almost nothing are not going to turn down money, especially because many times, the money is going to their families rather than for themselves. I do think Cam has to man up and tell his dad to back off a bit. He knows that he has made some mistakes, but I think he’s genuinely a good guy.

A lot of the commenters on PFT hate him for no reason other than the fact that he may or may not have taken benefits. I can’t even remember Reggie Bush being hated this much. I won’t pretend to understand his circumstances growing up, but I think a lot of you guys are oblivious to the hardships that many professional athletes face as children. I hope Cam Newton succeeds and won’t let stardom get to his head, like Matt Leinart.

10. donterrelli says: Feb 26, 2011 7:27 PM

He’s digging a deeper hole for himself every time he opens his mouth. Thumbs up for him going undrafted?

11. johnnyb216 says: Feb 26, 2011 7:33 PM

Did he call himself cam? This guy needs some serious pr help.

12. rjsjr says: Feb 26, 2011 7:36 PM

You’re missing the best quote from the entire painful 6 minutes of self-promotion. When asked about working with Warren Moon, Newton said, “I can call him in the wee nights of the hour…” How everyone missed that nugget is kind of amazing. I spit my coffee out and I wasn’t even drinking any when I heard it.

13. citizenstrange says: Feb 26, 2011 7:41 PM

duanethomas says:
    Feb 26, 2011 6:40 PM
    1st Bishes!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The only way I could possibly improve on that is to replace “1st” with “Frist.”

For anybody who thinks I’m being sarcastic ….. I’m not.

14. stats5 says: Feb 26, 2011 7:41 PM

Cam is a loser.

15. atlien698 says: Feb 26, 2011 7:49 PM

I wonder what Jeff Ireland asked him.

16. jc1958cool says: Feb 26, 2011 8:05 PM

brett favre JR. that’s what he is, selfish turd!!
    he is going to fall so far in the draft, why doesn’t buss cook tell him to shuttie! oh yeah he represnted favre, all for me!!!

17. wawa33 says: Feb 26, 2011 8:12 PM

Is it possible that Scam Newton poisoned the Auburn oak trees as his part in the fake preacher father’s deal with the devil?

Newton has the physique and bad instincts of Ben Rothelisberger, the athletic talent of Vince Young, and the brain of JaMeatloaf Russell.

18. hosmachine says: Feb 26, 2011 8:38 PM

This guy has such a high opinion of himself. Wow I wonder if he has been hanging out with Favre. CAM talking in the fourth person, just wait it’s coming. Here is a sample of what he will say.”Only Cam knows if Cam took money or why Cam didn’t take a knee and Cams not gonna go into that.”

19. gbfanforever says: Feb 26, 2011 8:49 PM

It’s pretty telling reading all these negative comments about Cam’s slip up after seeing the comments pumping up Mallett after blowing his press conference and not being able to effectively answer questions about his drug use. Post racial society my as*.

20. dempsey63 says: Feb 26, 2011 8:50 PM

Cam apparently learned English by watching Bud Light’s “Leon” commercials.

21. deconjonesbitchslap says: Feb 26, 2011 8:54 PM

wait until this kid is drafted. he will gain a bunch of young friends on the team. season will start. coaches will yell at him for not listening. yell at him because he makes bad decisions. he will get pissy. angry. more bad decisions. blame the coaches. then turn against the coaches. and then the young players will turn against the coaches. then the team will be destroyed for the next 5 years.

sounds like I have the vikings season pegged. cam newton is the new, younger Terrell Owens. he will be sort of like tavaris jackson and tim tebow: in and out of the starting qb job his entire career.

22. CKL says: Feb 26, 2011 8:55 PM

The little “read off a cue card” opening statement he made was lame and suggested lack of sincerity. I would run…. not walk away from drafting this dude.

23. richm2256 says: Feb 26, 2011 9:06 PM

————————————————-
    Yeah, what potential NFL dad hasn’t shaken down a team for extortion?

24. gbfanforever says: Feb 26, 2011 9:10 PM

“stats5 says: Feb 26, 2011 7:41 PM

Cam is a loser.”

Ahh yes he’s a loser but I’m sure you think Mallett is simply a terrific, high character fellow, right? Seriously, Cam isn’t my favorite but he’s clearly less popular amongst you folks than a QB with less talent and a history of drug use and immaturity. Racial prejudice is just sad and ugly.

25. 4dabears says: Feb 26, 2011 9:16 PM

This guy is a tool. Enough said.

26. nfl4ever says: Feb 26, 2011 9:20 PM

Ugggh, it makes me cringe when a guy talks in 3rd person like that, Bo Jackson did it a lot too, must be an Auburn thing.

27. voxveritass says: Feb 26, 2011 9:24 PM

Vince Young called.
    He wants his schtick back.

28. scytherius says: Feb 26, 2011 9:47 PM

SO glad my team has a QB. Someone is going to waste 5 years or more of his franchise on this idiot.

29. southridge23 says: Feb 26, 2011 9:52 PM

I don’t feel bad for a sec for the team that drafts this kid.

He can get drafter 15th (arbitrary…don’t know whose pick that is) and can you imagine the holdout? He’d demand #1 pick money despite!

He’s gonna make Michael Crabtree look like he reported on time

30. frankdatank23 says: Feb 26, 2011 9:55 PM

he’s already a panther, ya know……..

31. halftermguv says: Feb 26, 2011 10:12 PM

Stop the presses! Cam Newton has an overly inflated opinion of himself…just like 95 percent of all the others his age.

32. Deb says: Feb 26, 2011 10:12 PM

@terrellblowens …

Why all the hate for Matt Leinart? Oh … you mean it’s not hate to say Matt Leinart let stardom get to his head? It’s not “hate” for Cam Newton, either.

I empathize with kids from horrific backgrounds who have have agents and recruiters waving money in their faces. But Cam came from a stable two-parent home. Temptation didn’t knock at their door; his father–the preacher–pimped him out. And Reggie gave back his Heisman–the Newtons have shown no sign of remorse. Players for other schools have been ruled ineligible for less, but the NCAA ignored its own bylaws because of the BCS money tied up with Auburn’s championship run. And the Newtons skirted the few restrictions that were applied–such as Cecil not being at the championship game. The investigation is ongoing and I believe Auburn will eventually be found guilty of recruiting violations and sanctioned while the Newtons get off scot-free.

I think Cam is a very handsome, charming, talented athlete. But I also think his family is corrupt and they feel they’re above the rules. That, plus the whole spread offense thing, is a big red flag for me. I’m anxious to see how his talent translates to the NFL and wish him well … but if I were drafting, I wouldn’t make him a major investment.

33. bengalanthony13 says: Feb 26, 2011 10:28 PM

Let’s see:

Cam Newton–Athleticism off the charts, one-year college wonder from a major school, a TON of offseason baggage, considered to be a reach if drafted in the top 5. One quote: “And with the 4th pick in the NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select Cam Newton, Quarterback, Auburn University.”

34. jw731 says: Feb 26, 2011 10:36 PM

Deb….You are such a Homer, if bama had paid him enough, and don’t act as if they are the sacrilegious institute of higher learning(they pay just as well but are more adept at hiding it), you’d be on here extolling his virtues, go poison some oak trees or something…………

35. calzone21411 says: Feb 26, 2011 10:48 PM

Will be funny to see how far this kid falls from stardom when he is stuck in Buffalo.

36. profootballwalk says: Feb 26, 2011 10:48 PM

“jw731 says: Feb 26, 2011 6:32 PM

Newton reportedly acted “didn’t have a favorable reaction” and got defensive.
    ————————————–
    What the hell does this even mean?”

How often do you see a Rosenthal post on this site that DOESN’T have a writing error like that in it?

37. bigmike7914 says: Feb 26, 2011 11:35 PM

stats5 says: Feb 26, 2011 7:41 PM

Cam is a loser.
    ————————————–

Undefeated national champ and Heisman trophy winner, and is about to be a first round draft pick if that’s being a loser then I want to be one like pronto.

38. veistran says: Feb 27, 2011 12:13 AM

What’s the over/under on “how many coaches will Cam Newton get fired?”

39. kindbass says: Feb 27, 2011 12:20 AM

I think this post needs 5-6 more typos.

40. flik44 says: Feb 27, 2011 12:23 AM

I’ll worry more when he starts calling himself Cam Cam.

41. mrcowpatty says: Feb 27, 2011 1:53 AM

Mr. Newton could possibly be the next Ryan Leaf!

42. mataug says: Feb 27, 2011 2:17 AM

What’s with all the 3rd person references to himself!

43. snowpea84 says: Feb 27, 2011 2:21 AM

Who writes up your quotes? “Each an every”…at least pay a little bit of attention, you’re not writing that much.

44. ilovefoolsball says: Feb 27, 2011 2:52 AM

It’s funny when people say “FIRST!” when they think they’re the first poster but they’re not it’s just that they didn’t see the previous comments.

They look really stupid for celebrating something that is so insignificant and then they find out that it’s actually meaningless because they came in second or worse.
    I laugh at them but then I feel a little sorry for them.

45. johnnyb216 says: Feb 27, 2011 4:36 AM

How bout this then. Cam is delusional.

46. zatko says: Feb 27, 2011 8:13 AM

How many of you that are fans of a team without a franchise QB would take Michael Vick on your team right now?

This guy can be a bigger, faster, better version of Vick, and has the opportunity to mature without the pains Vick went through if he has the right support. It’s calculated, but certainly possible.

He has some risk, but he also has some HUGE potential. If my team needed a franchise QB, I’d be giving it some serious thought.

47. Deb says: Feb 27, 2011 8:18 AM

@jw731 …

If you followed my comments on CFT, you’d know I’ve acknowledged that every school is guilty of violations. Bama was has been guilty of paying high school coaches to steer recruits our way (more bang for the buck than paying individual players), but nothing comparable to this has come up with Bama under Saban. And if Bama paid that kind of money for a spread QB, I’d be spitting tacks. We play a pro-style offense.

I’ve also been very vocal in condemning the lone 62-year-old nut who poisoned the oaks at Toomer’s Corner. Bama fans have banded together and to date have raised $47,000 to help offset the cost of treating/replacing the trees they didn’t damage.

I know it’s tough for a homer like you to grasp, but my comments about Cam were about Cam, not Auburn. If I’d been talking about Auburn, you’d have seen a cow reference. :roll:

48. kramelttil says: Feb 27, 2011 8:50 AM

How many of these type one year semi success stories are NFL teams gonna throw their nuts on the chopping block for? I know all about his lower level success…blah blah blah. As its been said before, this is VY II. Any team that takes Newton in the 1st round deserves what they get. But without these kind of flop draft picks we would be limited on what we could bitch about right?

49. moondog7 says: Feb 27, 2011 9:27 AM

I like cam newton but lets not compare him to michael vick.

Vick’s the most athletic qb the nfl has ever seen. Newton has no where near vicks speed, moves or arm strength. Newtons style is more like a tim tebow with a stronger arm and less character. They run up the middle for 3 yards and run somebody over, not vick who will juke 3 guys and maybe take it to the house or maybe lose 10 yards.

Newton is a proven winner with good size and arm strength, in this draft class of qbs it would be tough to take anyone else over him