A.J. Green, Julio Jones crank up the speed in Indy

A.J. Green

The players regard as the top two wideouts on the board solidified their positions on Sunday.

Georgia receiver A.J. Green ran, unofficially, a 4.48 and then a 4.51.

Alabama’s Julio Jones cranked out a 4.43, and then an eye-popping 4.39.

The fastest time came from Abilene Christian’s Edmund Gates, who covered 120 feet in 4.35 seconds.  But Jones ability to outrun Green could shake things up at receiver.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
15 Responses to “A.J. Green, Julio Jones crank up the speed in Indy”
  1. ohioraider says: Feb 27, 2011 10:18 AM

I’m gunna figure out who Edmund Gates is considering he will probably be a Raider lol

2. realfootballfan says: Feb 27, 2011 10:30 AM

I’m glad that Jones showed how physically gifted he actually is because I think some overlook him because he was a team player and accepted his role at Alabama.

he’s going to be a gamebreaker at the next level with the added bonus that he’s demonstrated an ability to do the little things to win as evidenced by not complaining about his numbers in Saban’s offensive approach, which doesn’t emphasize the receivers. He was the number one receiver in his freshman class.

3. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Feb 27, 2011 10:40 AM

I think I’d take Green’s much better hands over Jones’ ability to run 40 yards .1 seconds faster.

4. bf53 says: Feb 27, 2011 10:42 AM

But Jones ability to outrun Green could shake things up at receiver.
    —————————————

only in oakland

5. frankdatank23 says: Feb 27, 2011 10:44 AM

perhaps its julio that should to be compared to calvin johnson than.

6. mvpolamalu says: Feb 27, 2011 10:45 AM

Al davis just pooped his pants

7. shooliganza says: Feb 27, 2011 10:55 AM

ohioraider… I really truly LOL’d when I read your comment.

8. getweird4u says: Feb 27, 2011 11:08 AM

They will both be good, 40 times are the most overhyped thing at the combine!

9. camjon32 says: Feb 27, 2011 11:10 AM

Did I hear Sterling Sharpe refer to Calvin Johnson as, “not a burner by any means”? Didn’t he run a sub 4.4 in someone else’s hoof covers at the combine???

10. jc1958cool says: Feb 27, 2011 11:33 AM

darius heyward-bey better look over his shoulder, al is druling!

11. dingyharry says: Feb 27, 2011 11:35 AM

I would be shocked if AJ Green doesnt go in the top five. Browns fans would be thrilled if they got him at #6. Wide receiver is their biggest need in my opinion. The question in my mind is how good is Julio Jones? I have heard he drops a lot of a passes and missed some games with injuries. It seems to me, Jones would be too much of a reach at #6.

12. dansnyder says: Feb 27, 2011 12:09 PM

camjon32 says:
    Feb 27, 2011 11:10 AM

___________________________________
    Calvin Johnson ran the same low 40 at the combine as Laron Landry, a 4.35. I only remember this because in madden they had calvin 3-4 points higher in speed then landry. Calvin is also a long strider which makes it extremely impressive. He has enough explosion early on to hit that 4.35 yet he can still burn deep because of his stride. Landry’s numbers are based on his quickness, he accelerates so fast but he doesnt have that long stride/ deep speed.

13. MichaelEdits says: Feb 27, 2011 12:25 PM

Who was the NFL player who said, “I ran like the police were chasing me?” That was classic. Which is why some readers just cringed right now.

14. wmack1914 says: Feb 27, 2011 12:27 PM

Try not to believe everything you read my man. Julio missed two games his entire career at Alabama. He played through every one of his injuries. The game that he broke his hand in against South Carolina this season, he caught 8 passes for 118 yds and a TD after breaking the hand.

And for the rest of the season playing with a plate in his hand, he had 46 catches for 693 yards & 4 TDs. And tacking on a rushing TD and handling kickoff & punt return duties.

And his numbers don’t jump off the page because Bama doesn’t run a wide open offense. And Julio actually run blocks! Who would’ve thunk it.

15. tresmang says: Feb 27, 2011 1:32 PM

funny thing is, we wont know who is better until at least 2014….and depending on where they go, what system they play in and who is throwing them the football……we will have a better idea of WHO COULD have a better career as soon as May 2011 is upon us…..so enjoy the process and gat psyched for the draft!