“Frustrated” Cam Newton admits “I underestimated the timing”

BCS Championship Football

Hours after an NFL Scouting Combine performance that one scout said “looks terrible,” Auburn quarterback Cam Newton acknowledged that he struggled.

But Newton said his struggles were just a matter of not knowing the receivers he was working with — and he seemed to suggest that throwing to slower receivers from smaller schools was a problem.

I underestimated the timing aspect of playing quarterback,” Newton told NFL Network. “You had receivers from the SEC, the SWAC, the MAC. . . . I was somewhat frustrated, but at the same time, I was having fun out there.”

In the same NFL Network appearance, Marshall Faulk needled Newton about his infamous “entertainer and icon” comment, and Newton tried his best to put that comment in perspective.

“My response [to Sport Illustrated‘s Peter King] was, I view myself as that due to the fact that I’m not only going to just be selling football cleats, I’m going to be selling lifestyle apparel — everything else,” he said. “I could have picked way more [different] words to express what I really wanted to say. I want to personally apologize to everybody who was offended about it.”

Now Newton will prepare for a March 8 Pro Day workout that he hopes won’t result in another round of explanations for a sub-par performance.

Permalink 107 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
107 Responses to ““Frustrated” Cam Newton admits “I underestimated the timing””
  1. joetoronto says: Feb 27, 2011 7:12 PM

I can’t believe some team is gonna draft this mofo. He has way more warning signs than JaWalrus did.

Not good.

2. cylondetector says: Feb 27, 2011 7:16 PM

Yes, that riposte to the ‘icon’ barb was a hugely effective.

No-one’s gonna criticise the guy now that we know that he’s “not only going to just be selling football cleats, I’m going to be selling lifestyle apparel”.

Can’t expect the guy to prioritise improving as a footballer – not when there’s the Cam Newton lifestyle to promote.

3. bdert says: Feb 27, 2011 7:18 PM

I wonder if some Ppl would be willing to admit why they would rather see Cam fail than succeed…

4. tweener8292 says: Feb 27, 2011 7:27 PM

The kindest comment is that he just learned how important “timing” is to an NFL quarterback. He’ll learn to throw where they’re going to be, not just where they are.

5. ArtModellsPimp says: Feb 27, 2011 7:27 PM

What a moron. Whoever drafts this guy had better have real job security.

6. benh999 says: Feb 27, 2011 7:27 PM

Did I miss something where the other QBs at the combine got to throw to receivers they were familiar with?

7. habibthomas says: Feb 27, 2011 7:28 PM

How do you just NOW figure out that being a quarterback and throwing the ball requires timing? Maybe this is why Cam should have played a few more season at Auburn. Just a thought.

8. mswravens says: Feb 27, 2011 7:32 PM

This guy has Bengal’s bust written all over him!

9. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Feb 27, 2011 7:33 PM

Already excuses? How about “I had an off day.”? ALL the QB’s go through the same thing at the combine and I don’t hear them bitching. Another red flag. Always blaming something or someone else.

10. kingjoe1 says: Feb 27, 2011 7:33 PM

He didnt offend anyone and it sounds like a fake apology. Not that he needs to apologize, it sounds that his statement did not seem genuine. I dont think he gets it. The statement spoke to his committment to the NFL, and that is what could hurt him.

11. kowboydmac says: Feb 27, 2011 7:34 PM

I guess that’s the same problem Jamarcus Russell had…

12. dixon29 says: Feb 27, 2011 7:35 PM

The guy will be drafted in the first round, probably in the top ten. All of this won’t even matter then.

13. thejuddstir says: Feb 27, 2011 7:35 PM

I can see the media creating a “diva” out of Newton already and he is sucking it all up…..the dude hasn’t really proved anything other than being on a team that was loaded with talent that would have won the National Championship with or without him. His weaknesses and limited skill set were what was talked about 2 weeks ago and I highly doubt that he has overcome them just from talking to the media…..unless you want to believe all the b.s. coming out of Newton’s mouth. He perhaps won’t be a JaMarcus Russell but I do see another Vince Young. Newton is an athlete but not a NFL QB.

14. ilpackerbacker says: Feb 27, 2011 7:36 PM

LOL – this clown and the Vikings would be perfect for each other.

15. thejuddstir says: Feb 27, 2011 7:38 PM

All the other QB’s at the combine had to throw to the same unfamiliar wr’s but haven’t heard any of them make “excuses”……another Vince Young in the making, that’s all there is to it.

16. lostsok says: Feb 27, 2011 7:39 PM

Often on tape of Cam “Show My Dad The Money” Newton’s deep throws you can see receivers open, open, turn around, waaaaaait for it, and the ball arrives. He made a lot of slow reads of wide open guys and simply heaved the ball to them. He throws a pretty pass…but so did JaMarcus. Cam runs better…which may be about the only difference.

Their inherent understanding of football (or lack there-of) and highly questionable character is painfully similar.

17. egls7 says: Feb 27, 2011 7:44 PM

All talk, no substance….

18. echoplex89 says: Feb 27, 2011 7:45 PM

headline should read :

“Frustrated” Cam Newton admits “I overestimated my passing”

19. touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 27, 2011 7:45 PM

Fair enough point, I would say. He was unprepared, but he admitted he was unprepared and pointed out what he took away from the whole experience. Shows maturity if you ask me. Now let’s see what he does about it. Would show a lot about his dedication to his craft and his work ethic to see him come out and knock em dead March 8th.

20. cappa662 says: Feb 27, 2011 7:48 PM

My advice to all of the qb starved nfl teams is to wait this year out. Get a veteran qb. There aren’t any franchise qbs in this years draft. Next years draft will might have andrew luck and matt barkley.

21. melikefootball says: Feb 27, 2011 7:49 PM

How do say ..another Vince Young in the making.

22. cappa662 says: Feb 27, 2011 7:51 PM

Profootballtalk, please stop posting news on cam newton. Cam is turning into brady quinn, tim tebow, and jimmy clausen status for this years draft. Please show respect to other more talented potential draft picks.

23. txhc says: Feb 27, 2011 7:51 PM

Overrated.

24. BrownsTown says: Feb 27, 2011 7:56 PM

Wow, throwing others under the bus. Who wouldn’t want a leader like that?

25. dafixisin says: Feb 27, 2011 7:56 PM

Offended? Really, who are the Nancyboys that were “offended” by the musings of a kid? Puhlease, must’ve been those sports journalists… sisterboys.

26. dgforreal says: Feb 27, 2011 7:56 PM

Ahh, already throwing folks under the bus. Guess what buddy? Whatever team you go you’re more than likely not going to have a lot to work with in regards to receivers so get used to it.

27. txhc says: Feb 27, 2011 7:58 PM

Who wants to bet Al Davis trades back into the 1st round and takes him?

28. nokoolaidcowboy says: Feb 27, 2011 8:00 PM

Mr Newton, you are in the wrong sport. May I suggest professional dodge ball?

29. deconjonesbitchslap says: Feb 27, 2011 8:07 PM

“I underestimated the timing apsect of playing quarterback”

timing is overrated anyways. especially for qb’s. yep. #1 pick

30. hooterdawg says: Feb 27, 2011 8:10 PM

None of the real experts on NFL Network were bothered at all by Newton’s combine. In fact, they were impressed. It goes to show the difference in perception between seasoned analysts and sarcastic internet comentators.

31. pwnpatrol says: Feb 27, 2011 8:10 PM

On the same token though, joetoronto, there are teams with quarterbacks with far less talent than Cam Newton has. I just wouldn’t take this dude in the 1st round. It’s one thing to pick the dude and take a risk – it’s another to pay him millions off the bat.

32. huskersrock1 says: Feb 27, 2011 8:12 PM

Well everyone else had the same receivers they must have had the same……wait a minute, they did fine. Hummmmm

33. gosox2673 says: Feb 27, 2011 8:13 PM

He really was awful. Overthrowing every receiver. None of the other QB’s had a problem throwing to unfamiliar receivers.

34. mdpickles says: Feb 27, 2011 8:14 PM

The more this guy opens his mouth, the more I think he’ll have the same troubles with he is tries to audible at the line.

35. ytsejamer1 says: Feb 27, 2011 8:15 PM

When do we get to read the article about Cam Newton going the bathroom at the wrong time of day? What about the article about where he ate?

The 24/7 sports news machine is going to chew up and spit this kid out before he gets a chance to play for an NFL team.

36. richm2256 says: Feb 27, 2011 8:16 PM

“I underestimated the timing aspect of playing quarterback,”
    ————————————————-
    Oh, the NFL is gonna LOVE this guy!

Move over, Jafata$$, another flop is gonna need a seat on the Loser bench.

37. richm2256 says: Feb 27, 2011 8:19 PM

“I’m not only going to just be selling football cleats, I’m going to be selling lifestyle apparel — everything else,”

By this, he means he’s got a job lined up at Foot Locker after no one takes him in the draft.

38. eagleswin says: Feb 27, 2011 8:19 PM

—————————–

Well at least he knows he’s a product pitchman first, and football player second. He’ll probably make make more money making commercials than completing passes.

39. barklikeadog says: Feb 27, 2011 8:22 PM

Offended? Making yourself look foolish doesn’t offend me jacka…. er…. Cam.

40. Lockout2011 says: Feb 27, 2011 8:24 PM

I agree. Newton has way too many warning signs. From his jumping around from school to school, trouble with the law, and now a bad combine.
    Look people can change and grow up which I hope he has done.
    He obviously had a season for the ages and I hope that he becomes a star in the NFL.
    I love rooting for these kids!
    However, his interviews didn’t seem to reflect that.
    Especially how he contradicted himself when he said, “I love football.” Then he followed that up with by saying 3 or 4 times, “Is this really where I want to be and really what I want to do?”
    GM’s in the top 10 must’ve loved hearing that lol

41. mataug says: Feb 27, 2011 8:25 PM

“I view myself as that due to the fact that I’m not only going to just be selling football cleats, I’m going to be selling lifestyle apparel — everything else”

I raise a facepalm to you dear sir

42. couldntthinkofaname says: Feb 27, 2011 8:28 PM

What a tool. Blame the receivers. Can’t wait to see what team burns a high first rounder on this moron.

43. saberstud75 says: Feb 27, 2011 8:29 PM

I like how he is shifting the timing issue to the “slower receivers from smaller schools.”

Also, how he read a prepared statement to address the backlash from his entertainer/Icon comments instead of speaking his own words to explain it.

Lots of issues here: Warning Will Robinson… Warning!

44. skoobyfl says: Feb 27, 2011 8:29 PM

He’ll be a big NFL bust after playing under a great program. I expect nothing but another Ryan Leaf project that doesn’t get it.

45. sf424 says: Feb 27, 2011 8:29 PM

He underestimated “the timing aspect of playing quarterback?” Isn’t that, like, the most important aspect of the position?

46. jvilleballa says: Feb 27, 2011 8:33 PM

THis guy is a idiot and will choke in the NFL. He played one year at Auburn and isnt ready for the NFL or life in general.

47. jimmmysmith says: Feb 27, 2011 8:38 PM

Another Vince Young!

48. iknowfootballandyoudont says: Feb 27, 2011 8:40 PM

If Fraud Newton is frustrated now how do you think he will react when he finds out he can’t succeed at the NFL level?
    The “face” he is presenting now will not be the same when he is exposed by pro defenses.
    My guess he will display the temperment of a Ryan Leaf blowing up on a reporter, mixed with an I don’t care demeanor of a Jay Cutler, with a helping portion of Vince Young cussing out his coach then disappearing with a gun.

49. abninf says: Feb 27, 2011 8:40 PM

In his defense, he was probably tired from staying up late recording his first rap album and smoking herbal incense.

50. idolized1 says: Feb 27, 2011 8:42 PM

Give the guy a break on his ”entertainer” and ”icon” comment.

He is just trying to have a back up plan for when he get cut.

51. draftguy says: Feb 27, 2011 8:45 PM

Cam Newton is going to be a winner in this league. Good news for the Vikings if he slips out of top 10.

52. shaggytoodle says: Feb 27, 2011 8:48 PM

If football isn’t his thing

Maybe he should stick to the Entertainment side of things.

Change his name to Glam Newton.

53. cletusvandam says: Feb 27, 2011 8:52 PM

Washington at 10 is looking more and more likely, and that’s just because they are stupid

54. Patriot42 says: Feb 27, 2011 9:07 PM

There are some people that have an overwhelming desire to make a complete azz of themselves.

55. lhaveprettyfeet says: Feb 27, 2011 9:09 PM

Why dont you change the URL for this site to CamNewtonTalk.com ?

56. skoalbrother says: Feb 27, 2011 9:14 PM

3rd round at best. Anything higher then that is simply crazy.

57. Deb says: Feb 27, 2011 9:16 PM

Cam isn’t a lazy Jamarcus Russell–who showed up at the Combine overweight and out of shape. He’s a hard worker, but his comment about the receivers is indicative of his unwillingness to take responsibility for mistakes. Otherwise, the biggest concern for teams is his lack of experience in a complex offense.

As far as the “icon” thing goes … after hearing how inarticulate he was at his press conference, I realize he may simply have misspoken. He has a lot of charisma, but his agent needs to hire someone to work on his delivery.

58. Patriot42 says: Feb 27, 2011 9:17 PM

Also maybe he wants to be drafted late in the first round.

59. raiderapologist says: Feb 27, 2011 9:19 PM

Cam is selling everything from cleats to cough syrup?

60. ficklebystander says: Feb 27, 2011 9:21 PM

bdert says:
    Feb 27, 2011 7:18 PM

Umm…because he’s an arrogant a$$hole? Just one idea.

61. jimr10 says: Feb 27, 2011 9:32 PM

62. teentalksfootball says: Feb 27, 2011 9:37 PM

You would think that a quarterback going into the NFL would not have “underestimated the timing aspect of playing quarterback”. That is what would scare me if I were a team looking to draft him. Timing is a big part of football, and if he has to be comfortable with receivers to complete passes, he might not be leading his team to as many victories as the team that drafts him was hoping. Of course, he will still be drafted, as he is among the top quarterbacks coming out of college, but he might not be as successful as his team will be hoping.

63. FoozieGrooler says: Feb 27, 2011 9:41 PM

mswravens says: Feb 27, 2011 7:32 PM

“This guy has Bengal’s bust written all over him!”

Actually, since he sounds like he’s already placing blame elsewhere… (“and he seemed to suggest that throwing to slower receivers from smaller schools was a problem.”), he sounds like a perfect fit for the Ravens to me…

64. stonedwhitetrash says: Feb 27, 2011 9:45 PM

Cam; that sounds like something in my truck engine.

65. packersrule52 says: Feb 27, 2011 9:49 PM

Anybody else know what lifestyle apparel is?

66. tryagainplease says: Feb 27, 2011 10:13 PM

jimr10 says: Looks like Cam has replaced Tebow as the most hated person at the combine. All of the negative posts last about Tebow, made me a fan. Now I have a new hero.. Cam Newton and Dad.

funny i felt the same about tebow but then again he’s a good guy. cam, on the other hand, is the polar opposite of tim- shady, corrupt, cheat, liar, etc.

67. dolphan343 says: Feb 27, 2011 10:27 PM

So when the team he is on wins we get ” I accomplished…..” when he throws horribly we get” these guys ….” Hmmm….in my opinion a leader takes the blame and spreads the compliments. About the oposite of what I hear from this guy.

68. jesusjustletmeregister says: Feb 27, 2011 10:31 PM

I wouldn’t draft him if he were avalable in last round. Best case scenario, McNabb or Vince Young. Worst case scenario, Jamarcus.

69. canadianvikingfaniii says: Feb 27, 2011 10:35 PM

What is this guy going to do when he gets to the NFL and his recievers go down with injury and they have to bring in new guys? That excuse doesn’t cut it in the big league.

70. mataug says: Feb 27, 2011 11:07 PM

He just cannot stop making a fool of himself lol

71. Walk says: Feb 27, 2011 11:07 PM

“Anybody else know what lifestyle apparel is?”

I will take gimp suit and strategically cut chaps for 100 Alex. Yesss daily double!!!

72. teentalksfootball says: Feb 27, 2011 11:08 PM

@Patriot42
    Hahaha, that is an excellent point that is also very humorous. I could see Cam sitting there with his agents thinking “Well, all of the stinky teams draft first, so lets just get the scouts mad at me so I can get drafted by a better team later in the first round.” That would make quite a story.

73. ilpackerbacker says: Feb 27, 2011 11:19 PM

“Anybody else know what lifestyle apparel is”?

You know, the usual. Yankees hats turned sideways, without the bill broken in at all – keep it flat and looking stupid, with the tag still on it. Then throw in a pair of JNCO jeans sagged halfway down his ass, with his Joe Boxers hanging out. Top it off with a pair of Marc Ecko shoes. You know, stuff that was played out and went out of style like, oh, about ten years ago now.

74. JohnnySinns says: Feb 28, 2011 12:15 AM

thejuddstir says:
    Feb 27, 2011 7:35 PM

—————

You didn’t watch much CFB this year, huh?

75. stonedwhitetrash says: Feb 28, 2011 12:23 AM

One thing Cam overestimated is himself

76. MichaelEdits says: Feb 28, 2011 12:27 AM

He was having fun out there? Nooooo!!

77. ryanw822 says: Feb 28, 2011 12:29 AM

I was saying Boo-urns…

78. granadafan says: Feb 28, 2011 12:42 AM

Funny how his audition turns to crap compared to his own “workout” carefully scripted by his agent to ensure everything was juuuuuuuuust right (think Goldilocks). Playing under pressure is just a wee bit different. He’s not surrounded by superior teammates anymore. There’s a reason just about every Heisman Trophy winner at QB has failed in the last 20 years. OVERRATED!

79. nflwatcher says: Feb 28, 2011 12:48 AM

What is the over/under for Newton’s Wonderlic test score?

80. We'reFineThere says: Feb 28, 2011 1:11 AM

Sometimes I think I’m the only white guy who likes Cam. Looks like he needs an epic fail like Vick did so the general public can change their stance. And while I’m calling out the bandwagoners, stop keeping Betty White on TV!

81. bealeman says: Feb 28, 2011 2:33 AM

Can you say Quincy Carter? A perfect fit for Dallas.

82. txhc says: Feb 28, 2011 4:56 AM

“packersrule52 says:
    Feb 27, 2011 9:49 PM
    Anybody else know what lifestyle apparel is?”

Maybe he’s talking about Lifestyles condoms? Think about it. Just plaster a logo next to his face and you’ve got yourself an ad campaign! What more motivation do you need? LMAO. He’s probably already signed the deal.

83. progress2011 says: Feb 28, 2011 6:00 AM

Most young people are not polished speakers, that know the “company line ” or politically correct thing to say. Cam will learn the ” NFL company lines ” of what the NFL / his team wish to convey.

Sports is still only ” ENTERTAINMENT ” for fans !

There is an entire page of comments here that assault this young man, about a sport !

He has not been convicted of a crime. At the end of the day, we are only talking about a sport ! It’s only ” ENTERTAINMENT “.

He will learn to keep quiet and become a polished speaker. But you can’t teach talent, which he has plenty of.

What’s truly laughable is that ALL the posters and commentators that assault this young man WISH and PRAY every night their little kid had the natural GOD given talent Mr. Newton has in his baby toe !

ALL of the posters here that have attacked Mr. Newton would trade their kid in today, if they could have Cam as a son….HAHAHAHAHAHA

So, what’s the real reason for the hate !

84. smokehouse56 says: Feb 28, 2011 7:45 AM

Cam is basically just an unfinished college freshman. His biggest mistake is thinking he has done it all in college and is ready for the NFL. He isn’t. He only played a dozen college games. He believes his press clippings. Too bad he left college way too early. Blaming slow small college receivers while the other quarterbacks had no problem shows shows lack of leadership which can only be attained by game experience, which he has none. He is a thief and he had to know his father was trying to blackmail Mississippi State for his services. He ended up at Auburn where there may be a chance their title will be stripped by the NCAA at some point in the future, because of him. But some team will take him, they always do.

85. jlbaw4 says: Feb 28, 2011 7:57 AM

Team Newton screwed up when they snubbed Tom Martinez as Cam’s qb coach to get him ready for the combine. It all starts with making good descisions early!

86. paulnoga says: Feb 28, 2011 8:40 AM

How far he has degenerated………
    Past draft analyzer Gil Brandt two days ago stated “I will be amazed if QB Cam Newton isn’t the first pick of this draft”
    Gil, its way past time to retire.

87. larrymcj says: Feb 28, 2011 8:44 AM

I’ve said it before…I’ll say it again. Cam Newton is NOT ready for the NFL, no matter what he accomplished in college. Whoever signs him will inherit a plethora of future problems.

88. drexelvol says: Feb 28, 2011 8:54 AM

This guy is throwing up more warning signs every time he speaks…and post-Auburn, tries to show his skills. Someone is going to be taking a huge risk by signing him.

He’s another Jamarcus Russell waiting to happen.

89. riverhorsey says: Feb 28, 2011 9:13 AM

yeah boys the receivers were just to damn slow !!

90. edgy says: Feb 28, 2011 9:14 AM

Note to Cam: slow receivers have nothing to do with balls that are 30 foot high or 5 feet short — work on your footwork and release (Get it out quicker and throw it before they break). Also, stop all the third person and you might have fewer problems with the reporters.

91. majikalmushr0om says: Feb 28, 2011 9:59 AM

You have prepared responses to the more controversial questions and you still butcher them???

Hey Cam, here’s a tip, the key to getting picked in the first round is to speak in the first person.

Also, tell your pops to spend some of that money Auburn gave him on a better PR guy, your current one isn’t doing too well…

92. ihateannouncers says: Feb 28, 2011 10:18 AM

Certainly puts the pressure on his pro day. I also think a big factor for Cam is if the league and the players get a new CBA, with some sort of rookie salary cap, before draft day. Otherwise your dealing with a huge financial battle (Cecil) with a player who doesn’t appear to be ready to be a first year starter.

93. biggerballz says: Feb 28, 2011 10:20 AM

the more he talks the more i hate him

94. footballmaded says: Feb 28, 2011 10:46 AM

As if we are all perfect. This is a learning process for the kid who was the Man at Auburn and still think he is. He is realizing now that he has to prove he is worthy.

I think it is unfair to Cam Newton to be compared to Jamarcus. For one thing, his coaches say he is extremely hardworking and he proved that in the one year at Auburn that he is worth it. 50 TDs (30 pass and 20 run)

He will be successful.

95. jc1958cool says: Feb 28, 2011 10:49 AM

stupid mike mayock says, i don’t have to see him in person! guess not , just listen, they’re both idiots!

96. gregjennings85 says: Feb 28, 2011 10:54 AM

Like I’ve been saying since the get-go: Mallet is the best QB in this draft, and it’s not even close.

97. 420fan says: Feb 28, 2011 1:37 PM

must be spending too much time being an “icon”!

98. umrguy42 says: Feb 28, 2011 3:14 PM

As a Rams fan, I’m just really glad they got Bradford last year over Suh, and aren’t still looking for the franchise QB in *this* year’s draft…

99. Jim Warner says: Feb 28, 2011 4:02 PM

We’re watching the second biggest flameout this year after Charlie Sheen.

No sense of self awareness, no impulse control, no accountability and can’t speak English.

Lifestyle apparel…. Pants on the floor, Pants on the floor, Looking like a fool with your pants on the floor!

Good Luck Fool!

100. mataug says: Feb 28, 2011 6:52 PM

@progress2011, sure he has god given talent but kids look up to sport stars as role models. If I wanted a role model for my kid, I would want one who is hard working, humble and appreciative of his skills rather than one whose ego keeps ballooning on a daily basis & who is more interested in selling himself than the game that made him so popular (and I believe he’s even stolen equipment!).

101. smorkingapple says: Feb 28, 2011 8:28 PM

My God, the hatred of this kid is staggering to read. What has he done to you guys? All Bama fans?

Obviously, the icon comment was meant to convey he wants to be an icon for the franchise that drafts him just like Manning or Brady are. Any QB that doesn’t want that position is doomed to fail in the NFL.

Obviously, the entertainer comment was meant to convey he wants to entertain fans like Mike Vick does. Nothing wrong with that either.

Obviously, we have a recent QB drafted high who’s been to 2 straight conf championship games. Cam’s lack of college experience means nothing. Exhibit A – Matt Cassel.

Comparisons to Jamarcus Russell are stupid. Jamarcus came to combine 20 lbs overweight and was a pure pocket passer. Cam is ripped and is still developing his pocket passing skills. His arm strength is incredible and with some refinement of mechanics he’ll be a stud in the league for a while.

102. tweener8292 says: Feb 28, 2011 8:36 PM

Like Drew Brees?

103. shaggytoodle says: Feb 28, 2011 11:03 PM

progress2011 says:

_____________________________

Only if I am able to try to cash in like his dad did.

104. kscogg says: Mar 1, 2011 12:25 PM

While delivering the “I underestimated the timing of being a QB” line he threw the “slow” and “from smaller schools” receivers under the bus. That shows what he’s all about……HIM. It’s not his fault they’re slow!?!?! Red flags all over the place. Yeah, he’ll get drafted high and if that team has any brains at all they’ll sit him to curb that sense of entitlement and selfishness.

105. jasncondit says: Mar 1, 2011 12:57 PM

JaMarcus Russell + Joey Harrington + Jeff George + Seneca Wallace + Rex Grossman + Jason Campbell + Randel El = Cam Newton

And you can’t fix a whole lot of crazy!

106. baddass1 says: Mar 4, 2011 3:37 PM

All of you band-wagoners who believe that Gabbert (or the Frankenstein style) QBs are at a premium…go ahead and pass on Newton. You WILL regret it. You need a mobile QB in THIS NFL; or you need a system where the QB throws the ball in 1.5 to 2 seconds like the over-rated Brady. Remember how he was stomped out by the NYG pass rush? Same situation with Manning vs NO… he was beat into submission. Didn’t see that happen with Rodgers this year… did ya’?

107. rushmatic says: Mar 6, 2011 3:39 PM

baddass1 says:
    _____________________

You have one example of Brady and one example of Manning, out of all the games they play against superior pass-rush teams. That’s how you base your opinion? Thanks for playing, dumbdumb, and good luck with the “icon”.