Chester Pitts says league, union are trying to get a deal done

5936

And just when it appeared that the NFL and the players’ union were going through the motions regarding a mediation process that resumed less than 60 hours after the labor deal expires, Seahawks guard Chester Pitts emerged from the meeting and told the media that the two sides are trying hard to reach an accord.

Pitts said, per Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, “Fans should know both parties are hammering away at it and really trying to get a deal done.”

He lost us at “fans should know,” because we think both sides at this point are trying to avoid incurring the wrath of the fans, since there’s no hard evidence that a deal is coming.

It could be that the union isn’t willing to play the decertification card given the potentially strong argument that it would be a sham aimed at conjuring leverage (because, you know, it is) and the league isn’t willing to lock the doors due to fears of a customer revolt (perhaps they’ll call it a “Tee Party”).  The safest course will be to extend the deadline, not because they’re making any progress but because neither side wants to use their respective nuclear options now, if ever.

At some point, the only way to avoid the worst-case scenarios will be to get a deal done.  Time will tell whether the time has come for the two sides to get serious.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
17 Responses to “Chester Pitts says league, union are trying to get a deal done”
  1. FoozieGrooler says: Mar 1, 2011 5:08 PM

“The safest course will be to extend the deadline…”

Amen to that.
    At least then it would give the appearance that they’re actually trying.

2. bluepike says: Mar 1, 2011 5:20 PM

If they’re “really trying” to get a deal done, then they MUST extend the deadline if they can’t quite get it done by thursday midnight. If they don’t extend it- then at least ONE of the sides isn’t really trying.

3. jsmayer181 says: Mar 1, 2011 5:20 PM

Could just be trying to find some good news, but I’m encouraged on two fronts today.

One, a player rep in the room comes out saying that BOTH sides are trying to get a deal done. With all the rhetoric back and forth recently, it’s good to hear a player not try to paint ownership in a bad light.

Two, John Mara in the room for the owners. Don’t forget father, Wellington Mara, is widely credited for agreeing to split television revenues equally in the 60′s with smaller markets like Green Bay and Pittsburgh, even though he could have commanded a much larger deal for his team had he insisted the Giants retain local TV rights.

4. digd13 says: Mar 1, 2011 5:22 PM

both sides want the lock out and both side want to point the finger at the other side. WTG nfl & nflpa kill that goose

5. cmstrick says: Mar 1, 2011 5:25 PM

Of course they’re trying to get a deal done. Why wouldn’t they be? A lockout isn’t good news for either side. All the posturing and righteous indignation is part of the bargaining process.

Hot dogs, man. Hot dogs…

6. 2011to2020lions says: Mar 1, 2011 5:26 PM

Other than the Bonus I got today this is the best news I could have received. Thanks for something promising for a change.

7. dprouse says: Mar 1, 2011 5:30 PM

Don’t kid yourself – the League is locking them out the minute the old CBA expires. Anyone who thinks otherwise is dreaming. The lockout is the owners’ leverage, and they will use it.

8. ndomination says: Mar 1, 2011 5:35 PM

“Trying” is subjective to opinion.

9. 7370355q says: Mar 1, 2011 6:02 PM

I’m tired of the pessimists. If you’re such a football fan why not exhibit a little more optimism. And don’t tell me you’re being a realist, because if you were, you would know what the hell was going to happen when this all unfolds.

10. toe4 says: Mar 1, 2011 6:08 PM

Dearest NFL,

You and I are good until March 4. We’ll see where we stand on March 5. If you withhold from me your Monday night attentions it will harden our relationship. I’m not going to lie I’ve looked at the NBA a little this month. I haven’t done anything, we’re just friends.

But if I can’t count on your afternoon delights on Sunday afternoons and your late night excitement on Sunday and Monday nights than I know I have a friend to turn to. Someone I can speak with. Someone who can share the ups and downs of Monday nights with me.

The Hawks aren’t the same as the Falcons. Nor do the Celtics compare to the Patriots. But on a cold, wintry Monday night the Hawks-Celtics can keep me warm. Given time, who knows what may relationship may blossom.

This summer I’ll be hunting and fishin’ with my buddy NASCAR. It will be fun to hang out with those good ole boys through this “Chase” thing I’ve heard so much about. But when the leaves fall I understand there is this thing called a three point shot that may be fun to check out. You know how I’ve always tried to talk you into trois.

But that is a long way off. There is plenty of time for our relationship to remain strong. Don’t do anything drastic on March 4 and we’ll be good. And even if you want a trial separation I am a forgiving person. The first time I see an August touchdown pass I know I won’t be able to stay mad at you long.

But if I have to turn to snuggling with the Pacers and the Sonics who knows what damage may happen to us. Hey, I hear they play sports in Los Angeles.

The ball is in your court,

This Fan.

11. bradjames33160 says: Mar 1, 2011 6:11 PM

Chester Pitts is NOT a liar. The Seahawks are class acts, as all objective fans know (I’m a Broncos fan and don’t really have an NFC West team so I am objective in this regard). He was there, all of you a-holes that denounce his words weren’t so the first step is extend the deadline, just like in 2006 and then we’ll see what happens. I honestly believe we’ll get something good done. I’m with 7370355q, all of you pessimists should keep opinions to yourselves.

12. bluehorseshoelovesanacottsteel says: Mar 1, 2011 6:20 PM

If Chester Copperpot wasn’t searching for One Eyed Willy’s Gold he would get a deal done. Chester Pitts doesn’t hold a candle to his negotiating ability.

13. ndomination says: Mar 1, 2011 6:24 PM

@737o355q

It’s not our job to be optimistic about this situation; everyone is entitled to their own opinions, stop worrying about other people.

Also, I don’t know where you get the conclusion that being negative constitutes someone not being a “football fan”.

14. FoozieGrooler says: Mar 1, 2011 6:59 PM

I’ll feel better when I get up Friday morning and DON’T hear that a lockout was initiated.

15. snoop24 says: Mar 1, 2011 7:46 PM

Why does any of this matter. All of you moron’s that can’t live without football will come crawling back as soon as they settle no matter when. They all know this and will use it against you. The fans should be the ones locking out. We pay the bils.

16. 420fan says: Mar 1, 2011 8:05 PM

Dearest NFL,

The ball is in your court,

This Fan.

Well Put!

17. tinopuno says: Mar 1, 2011 9:31 PM

7370355q says: Mar 1, 2011 6:02 PM

——————————————————
    If 7370355q had been in Hiroshima in 1945 he would have told everyone the Enola Gay was dropping a big CARE package.