Greg McElroy says he’s better prepared for the NFL than Cam Newton

Alabama Crimson Tide quarterback McElroy acknowledges the crowd after beating Michigan State Spartans in Capital One Bowl college football game in Orlando

Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy knows he’s not as good an athlete as Auburn quarterback Cam Newton. And McElroy is pretty sure he’s going to be waiting to hear his name called at the NFL draft long after Newton has been selected.

But McElroy thinks he’s more ready to play in the NFL than Newton is.

Asked on the Dan Patrick Show who’s better prepared to play in the NFL of the two of them, McElroy picked himself.

“I say me,” McElroy said. “Obviously, my talent level has a much lower ceiling than Cam. That’s fair, and I respect and understand that. But I don’t think I’m the only guy in the NFL that might have that same problem — I don’t think Peyton Manning is as athletic as Cam.”

McElroy says he has an advantage over Newton because he has much more experience playing in a pro-style offense, and that he’s better than Newton at reading defenses.

“As far as understanding and processing information . . . five years down the road will he be a more productive player than me? That remains to be seen,” McElroy said. “I think with my experience in the pro-style offense, my ability to drop back from under center, make checks from the line of scrimmage without looking at the sideline, all of those things play in my corner as far as being very prepared to make the transition to the next level.”

McElroy also confirmed he got a 48 on the Wonderlic, and he said NFL teams are higher on him than most people realize.

“I think I will get drafted higher than a lot of people suggest,” McElroy said.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
61 Responses to “Greg McElroy says he’s better prepared for the NFL than Cam Newton”
  1. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: Mar 1, 2011 12:05 PM

While these comments may come off as arrogant, it seems like he actually does know what he’s talking about. If he has any physical ability at all to play quarterback I think he will be a good player. I like the comparison someone made earlier to Chad Pennington.

2. jbaxt says: Mar 1, 2011 12:07 PM

I’d rather have a guy with brains than an athlete at the QB position. Unless you’re going to run the option…

That said you might get quicker production from the athlete just by his ability to make things happen. So a bad team, needing o-line help, would be better with a Newton type. A solid team may benefit from a McElroy type. Someone they can really groom and prepare to take over in the future. Much like Aaron Rodgers.

3. raiderfankirk says: Mar 1, 2011 12:07 PM

Brains beat brawn, just ask Payton and Tom.

4. roscoepcoaltrain86 says: Mar 1, 2011 12:08 PM

Wow. That actually was how you do an interview. You don’t say your an icon and pimping your clothing line before you’ve taken a snap. Take notes newton….take notes

5. ilovefoolsball says: Mar 1, 2011 12:08 PM

Well him and Cam Newton have some things in common. They all start with I I I I I I and ME ME ME ME ME ME !

6. chatham10 says: Mar 1, 2011 12:12 PM

He might be right, his Wonderlic score is good but he was interviewed for a Rhodes Scholar so you know he is smart and he did work under a former NFL coach.

7. donterrelli says: Mar 1, 2011 12:13 PM

AGREED

8. gotitan says: Mar 1, 2011 12:16 PM

He got 41 points better than V.Y. They can keep Cam, take McElroy @ #8.

9. wtfchiefs says: Mar 1, 2011 12:17 PM

Truth.

10. gargoyle10 says: Mar 1, 2011 12:19 PM

He’s right!

11. abninf says: Mar 1, 2011 12:20 PM

But more importantly, can he be a better entertainer and icon?

12. bison4me says: Mar 1, 2011 12:20 PM

I’m not a Cam fan, but Cam didn’t have any problems reading the Alabama defense during the 2nd half last year

13. clintonportisheadd says: Mar 1, 2011 12:21 PM

Looks like he has the profile of a career back up and then a coach someday. The Pack could take a chance on him and deal Matt Flynn for additional picks.

14. angrycorgi says: Mar 1, 2011 12:26 PM

Opening your mouth to boast seems pretty stupid, yet he supposedly got a high Wonderlic score…maybe the Wonderlic ain’t all its cracked up to be…

15. thompgk says: Mar 1, 2011 12:26 PM

McElroy has the right “shade” to make statements about how he is superior to others.

16. supashug says: Mar 1, 2011 12:26 PM

where is the humility in these bastards, how about just saying time will tell and I have prepared as best possible.

17. blitz4848 says: Mar 1, 2011 12:29 PM

I know it goes back a long ways but Bob Griese comes to mind—not much of an athlete but very cerebral and a WINNER.

18. godofwine330 says: Mar 1, 2011 12:29 PM

Good answer.

19. jaggedmark says: Mar 1, 2011 12:30 PM

I heard that interview live with Dan Patrick. I thought McElroy came off very well. He just spoke how he honestly feels about everything, but was not being arrogant. Impressive. Too bad he’s not 6’5″ with a cannon arm.

20. Sickwitit says: Mar 1, 2011 12:31 PM

I guess race still does matter in 2011.

Yeah, I said it

21. scoops1 says: Mar 1, 2011 12:34 PM

Cam couldn’t even The Little Engine that Could…his dad had to pay someone off to read it for him

22. henryjones20 says: Mar 1, 2011 12:39 PM

23. stairwayto7 says: Mar 1, 2011 12:44 PM

Both will be CFL bound!

24. thompgk says: Mar 1, 2011 12:44 PM

“Wow look at the difference in comments here for Cam and McElroy basically saying the same thing. Of course one used a little more tact then the other however the message is still the same Me Me Me.”

One was quoted in context and fairly represented and the other one wasn’t.

McElroy hasn’t ever been humble about anything and nobody ever calls him on it because he threatens to use his Lex Luther-like brain to outsmart them.

I wonder what his genius translates to on the football field. He is a bus driver on the field that cost his team a couple of games and a shot at the NC this year.

25. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Mar 1, 2011 12:52 PM

“make checks from the line of scrimmage without looking at the sideline”

This speaks volumes…

26. btownsf says: Mar 1, 2011 1:04 PM

Really? The race card? Yeah… those interviews were exactly alike! (heavy sarcasm) I don’t think what Cam said was all that big of a deal, BUT… people are ALWAYS judged by how they present themselves… Cam Newton is simply not as eloquent a speaker as McElroy. AND… McElroy wasn’t claiming to be an icon… he simply said that he thought he was more “NFL ready”… he also showed humility by saying that he knew Cam was a better athlete than he was, and that he had a “lower ceiling” than Cam.
    … Sure… those things have everything to do with race…

27. subset99 says: Mar 1, 2011 1:05 PM

You know, Myron Rolle was a Rhode’s Scholar w/ genius level i.q. He might be engaging in complicated and rewarding pursuits, but football is not one of them.

Yes, you need to be smart enough to digest a thick playbook and think on your feet, but there are lots of starting QB’s who are not Mensa members in the NFL.

28. realitypolice says: Mar 1, 2011 1:06 PM

Sickwitit says:
    Mar 1, 2011 12:31 PM

I guess race still does matter in 2011.

Yeah, I said it
    =======================

I’m sorry- did I miss the part where McElroy said that being an entertainer and an icon was just as important as being a successful football player?

Did I miss the part of Newton’s comments where he praised anyone but himself? Like McElroy did when he called Newton the superior athlete?

Anyone who reads what Newton has said and what McElroy has said and believes they were “basically saying the same thing”, either isn’t very smart or has race coloring his own feelings.

29. hendawg21 says: Mar 1, 2011 1:15 PM

My Skins are in need of QB…and I say take a stud defensive player with that #10 pick and take a guy like McElroy later…as it’s these types of QB’s who end up winning you a Super Bowl plus if he’s going to end up playing the first year might as well be someone with experience in a pro styled offense and who can read defenses…

30. dbellina says: Mar 1, 2011 1:18 PM

@henryjones20
    “myron rolle IS a rhodes scholar!!! how did that help him on the football field? last time i checked,he was on a practice squad. and what about that alex smith fellow from SF? he graduated from utah in 3 years,he must have 4 pro bowls under his belt right??”

To be fair, I don’t think Rolle really wants to play pro football. Alex Smith was thrown into the fire way too early and should have been given more time to develop. I like McElroy’s confidence, and hope that he can back his words up someday.

31. damnvarmint says: Mar 1, 2011 1:20 PM

I don’t see why there are comparisons between what he and Cam Newton said. He was asked to pick between himself and another player and he answered “Me”. Its not like the guy asked him “Who is better, Ryan Mallet or Cam Newton?” and his answer was “Me”.

32. Sickwitit says: Mar 1, 2011 1:21 PM

@btownsf

Yeah and comparing himself to Peyton doesn’t at all set the tone for iconic type statements. (heavy sarcasam)

“But I don’t think I’m the only guy in the NFL that might have that same problem — I don’t think Peyton Manning is as athletic as Cam.”

sure, keep telling yourself that

33. mataug says: Mar 1, 2011 1:23 PM

I don’t have a problem with a guy playing under spread offense(Bradford did that in college didn’t he, most QBs in the NFL play in the shotgun). It is the decision making quality that I look for.
    My worry is that guys like Newton just see if their #1 read is open or not and then decide to run straight away. Defenses in the NFL are way too fast & too disciplined to allow that on a regular basis. Look at how (relatively) average Vick looks when you contain him in the pocket.

34. billsfan1 says: Mar 1, 2011 1:30 PM

ryan fitzpatrick v.2….
    super smart with enough athletic ability to make a team… but not enough that it wont hold him back…roughly 90 + qb spots in the league ( i know some teams only carry 2) so the odds of him making a team are very very good but as a bills fan, i saw first hand how limited skill set can effect a qb… if u put his fitz brain with jp losmans skillset the bills would have been at least 8 – 8… not that that is great but im just trying to show what limited skill sets can do to hamper a qb….balls sail a bit more than they should..
    that being said, there is a spot for mcelroy in this league…. but he is sadly mistaken if he think its for any starting position…

35. realfootballfan says: Mar 1, 2011 1:30 PM

I love how the athletic stiffs always throw Manning out as not being so gifted….yes, he was or he wouldn’t have been the first pick in the draft.

Those are the guys who go number one (unless you’re Alex Smith)….remember that commercial Manning had a few years ago, 6′ 5″, rocket for an arm, lol.

Stop trying to lump him in with the guys who just don’t have the athleticism to take it to the next level, it’s insulting to Peyton.

mcElroy will be another Jay Barker, Ken Dorsey, etc. who doesn’t have the the physical ability to succeed in the NFL….knocking guys who do isn’t going to improve their plight.

36. Sickwitit says: Mar 1, 2011 1:32 PM

@realitypolice

Funny, I can say the same think about people who think otherwise. If you can’t read between the lines and see the elitist attitude portrayed by both these QBs, then those that can’t see the similarities either isn’t very smart or are not in tune with reality at all. (Which strengthens the point of my previous comment)

Suggestion, change your user name please.

37. Deb says: Mar 1, 2011 1:33 PM

@thompgk …

Okay, I’m a Bama fan and freely admit that. Are you going to let anyone here in on the fact that you’re a Bama hater? That colors your views on McElroy … and your comments on Julio Jones more than anything they’ve done at the Combine and said on the radio.

@Sickwitit and the other guys who think these two made the same comments …

Go listen to the interviews. McElroy has stated clearly that Cam is a better athlete and will go earlier in the draft. He’s simply stating the fact that he’s been playing in a pro-style offense. Cam said he wants to be an Icon and talks about himself in the third person. There’s no comparison in those comments.

For me this isn’t about race, it’s about spread-style offenses vs. pro-style. Last time I checked, Tebow was white, and I had far more misgivings about him than I do about Cam. Tebow had fewer character questions than Cam–sorry, folks, that is just a fact–but at least Cam doesn’t have a windmill windup. No question that Cam is a better athlete than McElroy. But he’s played one year in a simplified spread offense. McElroy has had three years in a pro-style offense and in 2009 practiced against a defense that could have competed in the NFL. In fact, several members of that defense went in the first round and became immediate NFL starters. It’s not just about Wonderlic scores–it’s about experience, and McElroy has more experience reading complex defenses than Cam.

@bison4me …

Alabama’s 2010 defense wasn’t in the ballpark to their 2009 defense. Cam won’t be able to just tuck and run against NFL defenses.

38. realfootballfan says: Mar 1, 2011 1:40 PM

Sickwitit,

Don’t you know, McElroy is just being confident, Newton is arrogant, although he was endorsing a product, lol.

Welcome to the veiled racist bizarro world.

39. teeray3 says: Mar 1, 2011 1:40 PM

Apparently No-one here is an Alabama fan. How many times McElroy threw into coverage and overthrew open receivers was outrageous. With the best RB tandem in college & with one of the best WR’s he helped hold back the Alabama offense.

I hate Auburn but Cam was a great player and had great touch; much more like a Vick (with touch) than VY. And arguing he looked to the sidelines to read defenses is hilarious since that was his Coaches system; from what I saw this year McElroy might have needed his coach.

40. realfootballfan says: Mar 1, 2011 1:45 PM

btownsf,

funny, everybody with an opinion seems to think he’s quite engaging.

41. realfootballfan says: Mar 1, 2011 1:54 PM

hendawg21,

Yes, because all of those low round picks have won so many Super Bowls outside of Tom Brady.

If you put your eggs in the Greg McElroy basket, you’re going to continue seeing more mediocre football, which you’re used to in DC….never mind Shanahan’s still your coach and most of you morons believe he’s good, lol.

42. jimr10 says: Mar 1, 2011 2:03 PM

Auburn 28, Alabama 27.

43. kpow55 says: Mar 1, 2011 2:05 PM

really, what’s he supposed to say “i’m average and i’ll be lucky to be working in an office in 3 years”?

If he wants to be part of the 1.whatever % of college players that can actually stay on an NFL roster he better be confident in his abilities.

44. bison4me says: Mar 1, 2011 2:06 PM

@bison4me …

====================================
    @Deb
    Auburn’s defense wasn’t much to write home about either, but McElroy didn’t find, expose, or exploit enough holes with his supposed elitist defense amplitude to win.

Neither has ever faced an NFL defense before, so both should stop with the pissing contest. At least in Cam’s he didn’t put down another player.

45. Deb says: Mar 1, 2011 2:07 PM

@realfootballfan …

Did you listen to the two interviews? Or are you just assuming people are commenting based on race? Or are you an Auburn fan and Cam apologist?

@teeray3 …

Just want to be clear: You’re an Alabama fan? And you’d rather have Chizik than Saban? Uh-huh. Is your nose bumping the monitor yet?

46. stonedwhitetrash says: Mar 1, 2011 2:20 PM

Son! that’s not saying very much.

47. hoobsher says: Mar 1, 2011 2:45 PM

a white qb is saying hes better prepared for the nfl than a black qb.

no punchline, nothing really funny there. thats completely justified to say thats true.

48. btownsf says: Mar 1, 2011 2:47 PM

realfootballfan,

I didn’t say he wasn’t engaging… I said he wasn’t an eloquent speaker. Like I said… I personally don’t see anything wrong with what he said. But, if you’re going to be so forthcoming as to announce your “self-declared icon status”… you’re going to draw some critism. McElroy simply said that he thought he was more NFL ready because he ran a pro-style offense…
    Race has nothing to do with the critism that Cam is drawing to himself…
    Do I think that McElroy is going to be a better QB than Cam Newton… no… I’m only saying that you are comparing apples to oranges in regards to the interviews and the comments applied to them… and the “race comment” was throwing a tomato into the mix…

49. skf727 says: Mar 1, 2011 2:52 PM

Of course, he’s better prepared.

Greg McElroy’s “lower ceiling” translates into being a career backup. Newton, on the other hand, is expected to be a superstar. I have full confidence that McElroy can handle a clipboard with aplomb.

McElroy is the latest in a long line of mediocre Bama QBs (I would argue all the way back to Kenny Stabler) that fail miserably at the next level.

Greg meet Brodie and John Parker, Brodie and John Parker meet Greg. Now all of you have a seat.

50. alltimeballa says: Mar 1, 2011 2:54 PM

Ok….let’s assume that there is NO racial threads woven into these posts, there does seem to be an amazing amount of hypocrisy. Let’s face it, if Cam says these exact same words in this exact same fashion, the responses wouldn’t just be about his ability or lack thereof but it would be about arogance. I remember when Mike Vick was asked about being MVP and picked himself over Tom Brady, he was painted as arrogant by many on this very board! Maybe its not meant to be a race issue but it does appear that there are still some issues with how black quarterbaacks are viewed in relationship to their white counterparts. Its as if they (black quarterbacks) are damned if they do and damned if they don’t!

Let me further say that I am an SEC fan and Alabama is one of my favorite teams however, McElroy wouldn’t even be in this conversation without Julio Jones,Marquis Maze,Trent Richardson and Mark Ingram!!!

51. bleedgreen says: Mar 1, 2011 3:11 PM

Sickwitit says:
    Mar 1, 2011 12:31 PM

I guess race still does matter in 2011.

Yeah, I said it
    ———————–

You realize that these are essentially job interviews. Who do you talk about during a job interview? I’m willing to guess yourself, because thats the product you’re selling.

52. Deb says: Mar 1, 2011 3:27 PM

@bison4me …

How is saying Cam is the superior athlete putting him down? When you say you’re going to be iconic, you’re putting yourself above all the other players.

The final score of that game was 28-27. I’d say each of them equally exploited the other’s defense.

53. zn0rseman says: Mar 1, 2011 3:39 PM

If athletic ability really counted for a lot at the QB position… guys like Micheal Vick, Aaron Brooks, Akili Smith, Daunte Cullpepper, Ray Lucas, Tavaris Jackson, Marcus Vick and Matt Jones would replace names like Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Dan Marino and Johnny Unitas as the leagues top QBs.

The QB position at the NFL level is 80% mental and 20% physical.

54. Deb says: Mar 1, 2011 3:41 PM

@bison4me …

Incidentally … I’d be shocked if McElroy became an NFL starter. For a bright kid, he can make some not-terribly-bright mistakes. My only contention here is that, as he said, he’s better prepared to play an NFL-style offense. I generally don’t like it when players make comparisons, but this time, I simply think a guy who doesn’t expect to get a lot of consideration was making his case in a job interview.

There’s no question that Cam is the superior athlete among the QBs. But I wouldn’t take him in the first round because he’s only had a year in a simplified spread offense. He’s going to need some work to play the position. But he’ll still go far ahead of McElroy. Tebow went far too early and Denver overpaid. It would be foolish for a team to make the same mistake with Newton even though he doesn’t have Tebow’s mechanics issues. I’d say second round. From what I understand, like Tebow, Newton has an excellent work ethic, so the comparisons to Jamarcus Russell are ridiculous.

Mallet is my top QB for the same reason I like McElroy–experience in a pro system, brains, and the ability to throw deep even though he’s not particularly mobile. Next for me is Gabbert, then Locker. I’m a Bama fan, but a Mizzou grad, so it’s close between Mallet and Gabbert. But I like Mallet’s deep ball.

55. Sickwitit says: Mar 1, 2011 3:53 PM

I don’t care whether or not the statement is true, that’s not my point. My point is McElroy’s selling himself receives less ridicule than Cam selling himself.

Some of you commenter’s on here just afraid to admit the truth. Are you a racist? No. Are you bias? Maybe not intentionally. Just look at the comments…

56. bison4me says: Mar 1, 2011 4:44 PM

@Deb

====================================
    The context of Cam’s statement was in terms of endorsing a product. It was not directed at a particular player and more over it was actually in terms of life outside of football.

McElroy’s statement was one on intent on taking attention from one player and trying to garner said attention. And to be frank, there is nothing he’s done to prove his statement to be true. He was a manager of the offense. The South Carolina game comes to mind. Where was his superior skills then of reading defenses? I mean the defenses of the NFL are far more complicated than South Carolina’s. If it weren’t for Mark Ingram, they lose that game. As a former QB in high school, I watch the calls and audibles that QBs make. Twice he checked out of a called play in that game, and audibled into the wrong play. He audibled the wrong protection in one play and on the other, didn’t see/anticipate the wheel releasing into the flat. There was a four game stretch where he didn’t throw a touchdown. He was absolutely abysmal against Tennessee. Again I fail see where he’s head and shoulders above Cam or any other QB that’s coming out in the draft.

McElroy reminds me of a Ty Detmer/Steve Walsh type QB, a professional clipboard holder. He’s not in the class of Cam, Locker, or Mallet. And I get he’s a Rhodes Scholar finalist and all, but his statement in this article are somewhat remedial.

57. bison4me says: Mar 1, 2011 4:54 PM

zn0rseman says:
    Mar 1, 2011 3:39 PM

The QB position at the NFL level is 80% mental and 20% physical.
    ====================================
    It all depends on the team and players around the QB, Steve McNair, Doug Williams (early years), Randall Cunnigham, John Elway, Steve Young, Warren Moon (early years), Fran Tarkenton, and Roger Staubach were all just a physical as they were “mental” and they had very successful NFL careers.

58. Deb says: Mar 1, 2011 5:47 PM

@bison4me …

I’ve already addressed that. No, don’t think McElroy will be an NFL starter. No, he’s not in the QB class of Mallet or Gabbert, or the athletic class of Newton. Yes, he’s made big errors for a smart guy.

But we still don’t have enough to go on to determine what kind of QB Cam will be. He’s a phenomenal athlete, hard-working, smart. Better arm than Tebow. But he only has a year of Div I football in a simplified spread. It remains to be seen what he can do in a pro-style offense against complex NFL defenses.

The “icon” comment’s not a big issue to me. If you’ve watched him, you know he’s got a big ego. But he’s still likeable, handsome, charismatic. Being inarticulate is the biggest obstacle he’ll face in trying to become a media star, but he can hire people to work with him on that.

@Sickwitit …

Of course, racism still exists in America. The problem is the players you’re choosing to exemplify it. People would have problems with Vick regardless because of his history of animal torture. People would have problems with Newton regardless because most of us know the NCAA skirted its bylaws to allow him to remain eligible despite his father’s activities. And many believe Auburn will eventually be sanctioned for paying him while he gets off scot-free. Donovan McNabb is a better example. He’s one of the classiest guys in the league, but has inexplicably been slammed for years.

59. bison4me says: Mar 1, 2011 7:44 PM

@bison4me …

======================================

@Deb

Like I said earlier, neither has played a down in NFL so McElroy is in no position to say he’s better prepared than Cam or any other QB coming out of the draft. While he played in a pro-styled offense, it wasn’t like he excelled in it or proved to be a guy who can come right out of the gate ahead of everyone else. In many cases he struggled in it, and his best plays came out of shotgun formation. He also had the benefit of a lot talent around, talent that is/was higher than his. And while PR may not be Newton’s strong suit, I wouldn’t exactly call him inarticulate.

60. Deb says: Mar 1, 2011 8:18 PM

@bison4me …

It’s simple logic to say that a guy who’s played in a pro-style offense for three years is better prepared to step into a pro-style offense than someone who has never played in a pro-style offense. I’ve said several times now that McElroy isn’t starting QB material, so it’s ridiculous to keep beating this dead horse.

Cam’s Combine press conference was horrible. He needs intensive work on his vocabulary skills. If you want him to succeed, you should recognize that’s in his best interest. I have some marketing experience, so I’m thinking about maximizing his potential. The guy is handsome, charismatic, and has a Tom Cruise smile. He’s an extraordinary athlete, and from what I’ve heard, a hard worker. All that adds up to a successful football career, and a successful post-football career. But he’s not well-spoken, and that will hold him back if he doesn’t work to correct it.

61. whatswiththehate says: Mar 2, 2011 1:24 AM

So let me see if I get this straight, way to many of you are all bent out of shape over how Cam sees himself but some white kid calls him stupid in a very passive agressive way, and that’s okay with you because the kid is intelligent. Now I’ve seen it all.

The fact that you folks sit there and arrogantly criticize everything this kid does and say only lends to the belief that you folks still see yourselves way superior than blacks and you have the right to dictate how they should and shouldn’t behave.

That is why I’m not surprised so many support what this kid said. I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot would your attitude be the same.

By tomorrow, the 90% run white media will be defending this kid also. That’s the same 90% white media who is still taunting Cam over what he said as if he said he wanted to be God or something…How dare Cam