Hines Ward: Dancing With the Stars is the best way to get over the Super Bowl

Hines Ward

Steelers receiver Hines Ward has said he’s been “really depressed” since losing the Super Bowl. He’s still trying to get over that depression.

“It was devastating,” Ward said of the loss to the Packers on Mike and Mike in the Morning. “Every time you look on ESPN, you see Sports Illustrated, you see Green Bay celebrating. My gut just turns sometimes.”

So how is Ward getting over the gut-wrenching loss? By focusing all his attention toward reality television.

“You’ve got to keep active,” Ward said. “For me, doing Dancing With the Stars, that’s the best way to get over it, move on and reflect.”

Ward says that he’s now dedicated completely to earning the Mirror Ball Trophy, which is awarded to the winner of Dancing With the Stars.

“It’s all about the Mirror Ball,” Ward said. “I couldn’t get the Lombardi Trophy, but I have an opportunity to get the Mirror Ball and put that on my mantel with all my other hardware.”

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Hines Ward: Dancing With the Stars is the best way to get over the Super Bowl”
  1. billinva says: Mar 2, 2011 10:45 AM

This is bizarre. Why on earth would Hines Ward do this crap. It’s not like he’s a washed up has been.

2. emperor83 says: Mar 2, 2011 10:46 AM

Not my thing, but best of luck to ya, Hines…

3. jw731 says: Mar 2, 2011 10:47 AM

Quite possibly….There may not be a athlete in the history of pro sports who is more in love with the sound of his voice, than Hines Ward….He simply never shuts up….It’s dancing with the stars putz, and a publicity stunt, don’t compare it to a Super Bowl……

4. jerruhjones says: Mar 2, 2011 10:47 AM

Who? Cares?

5. dgforreal says: Mar 2, 2011 10:49 AM

He’s going to perform the Blindside Block Tango to win the Mirror Ball Trophy.

6. emperor83 says: Mar 2, 2011 10:53 AM

billinva says: Mar 2, 2011 10:45 AM

_____________________________________

My guess: Looming lockout means he needs something to do. Maybe Marshawn Lynch’ll end up on Food Network’s “Chopped” making his new special dish, the “Upset Casserole”

7. 8man says: Mar 2, 2011 10:53 AM

It’s good to know it still bothers him.

Then again, I’m still upset about Super Bowl XX. Damn Bears!

8. scoops1 says: Mar 2, 2011 10:57 AM

If reality TV is your thing Hines….you should have asked MTV if could be a roommate in the Jersey Shore house

9. sundaysundaysunday says: Mar 2, 2011 10:57 AM

Where is your smile now, punk?

10. AlanSaysYo says: Mar 2, 2011 10:58 AM

All this musing about his depression is getting old. The man has two rings already. How depressed can he really be?

11. spungy says: Mar 2, 2011 10:59 AM

Those judges will reduce him to tears. It won’t take much though.

12. shaggytoodle says: Mar 2, 2011 10:59 AM

Whatever helps him sleep at night.

13. Mike Tomlin says: Mar 2, 2011 11:00 AM

“I have an opportunity to get the Mirror Ball and put that on my mantel with all my other hardware.”

As in my two Super Bowl rings and Super Bowl MVP Award… I’ll bet most players would kill for the hardware on that mantel

14. handlethehandles says: Mar 2, 2011 11:08 AM

Well at least he doesnt have to bring un needed attenetnion to himself… uhhh wait….. this offseason has been a big I need the spot light…

Draft article..Ocho cinco article… Ward article… Jets article.. Union article.. Repeat daily..

15. stinkfingers says: Mar 2, 2011 11:10 AM

You would think the “best way to get over the Super Bowl” would be to hit the weights, watch some film… You know.. Work on trying to GET BACK to the Super Bowl.

16. kevtek says: Mar 2, 2011 11:15 AM

How many episodes before he lays a cheap blind side hit on his dance partner?

17. ArtModellsPimp says: Mar 2, 2011 11:16 AM

…not that there’s anything wrong with that.

18. stinkfingers says: Mar 2, 2011 11:20 AM

Break a leg Hines…. Really.

19. supashug says: Mar 2, 2011 11:20 AM

its all about the Mirror Ball, are you serious, freakin hilarious, can’t wait to hear the Steel fans spin this one. I know 6 rings etc, blah blah blah

20. peytonwantsaflag says: Mar 2, 2011 11:26 AM

Que all the Pittsburgh Squealer justifiers that will now explain why they crucified Ocho Cinco last year but think it’s perfectly fine for Wines to do it.

(course in his defense – Hines ain’t stupid, he knows this will be an off year and they’re not going back to the playoffs so might as well have some fun)

21. kyleortonsarm says: Mar 2, 2011 11:31 AM

So this isn’t Dancing with the Stars anymore its Dancing with the Crybaby whiny little bitches who are over rated and will never be in the hall of fame?

22. FoozieGrooler says: Mar 2, 2011 11:32 AM

jw731 says: Mar 2, 2011 10:47 AM

“Quite possibly….There may not be a athlete in the history of pro sports who is more in love with the sound of his voice, than Hines Ward….He simply never shuts up…. ”

see, Ochocinco, Chad

23. help me says: Mar 2, 2011 11:33 AM

If he’s that depressed he could look at his other two SB rings and then look at the millions in his bank account.

24. deebo92 says: Mar 2, 2011 12:00 PM

So he’s not going to TNA?

25. steelernation1 says: Mar 2, 2011 12:15 PM

wow i never seen so many haters..you all need help,seriously.don’t you have anything better to do than bash and insult someone?i bet you don’t take it lightly when someone does it to you..or have you all been treated like little geeks growing up while in school.i bet that’s what it was,and you try to insult someone who can really care less what you think of him.especially while he is laughing all the way to the bank.

most of you have no class.get a life already

26. goawayeverybody says: Mar 2, 2011 12:20 PM

When is whiny little crybaby Hines going to get over the Super Bowl? He’s already won two, you’d think he could get over this a little faster. I thought he was supposed to be an NFL football player, not a whiny little crybaby.

27. Deb says: Mar 2, 2011 12:31 PM

Gee whiz, you boys love to hate on Hines. I’d prefer he’d waited until after retirement because the workouts on DWTS are rigorous and there’s always a potential for injury. But Jason Taylor and Ochocinco did the show as active players with no problems (and no I didn’t hate on Chad for doing it). Dancing works out different muscles and works out muscles in different ways than his typical football workouts, so it will keep him in good shape–especially if there’s a delay in OTAs due to a lockout.

I wish he’d stop talking about the depression because it’s defeating. But those who don’t understand why he’s depressed despite his previous success must not be competitive people. If players couldn’t make each championship run as important–or more important–than the last, they’d quit after winning their first ring. How do you suppose a Michael Jordan remained focused throughout his career if it was no big deal after the first championship? :roll:

28. coolzog says: Mar 2, 2011 12:53 PM

It MUST be depressing to not have a superbowl handed to you by the refs.

29. iwishiwasindc says: Mar 2, 2011 1:02 PM

DWTS is only reality show I can stomach…except for Wipeout which for some reason cracks me up when I fastforward the lame hosts. Mom (87) loves DWTS and it’s something we /I can share w/her that’s not Bonanza…again! DIDNOT/COULDNOT watch Palin’s kid/Hoff disaster, but what’s not to like about Jason Taylor, Emmitt (am ‘Skins fan), Chad, Jerry Rice, Warren, etc? Plus Max is delish. Hines Ward? Not impressed, but didn’t like Chad til DWTS. Maybe he’ll be fun and it is a good workout, as DEB said. Maybe he’s going for image rehab.

30. norcaleagles says: Mar 2, 2011 1:13 PM

STEELERNATION1, So you’ve never seen so many haters?? You should check out ANY Michael Vick-related article.

31. norcaleagles says: Mar 2, 2011 1:18 PM

Good football player and all, but the boy has no rythm. You ever see his TD celebrations? I remember when he tried doing Chad’s riverdance. lol

32. rmm1984 says: Mar 2, 2011 1:53 PM

No matter how you feel about Ward, anybody who can’t understand why the players are still upset about losing the superbowl I have to ask if you’re really fans or if you root for a team that’s ever been to a championship? I’m sure there’s retired players that still think about it every day. I don’t mind bashing a player you don’t like but at least make a valid point.

33. badcallsfootball says: Mar 2, 2011 2:26 PM

Wow I’m amazed at how many of you actually took what he said seriously. He is obviously joking. How many rings does he have? I think he’ll get over it.

34. norcaleagles says: Mar 2, 2011 3:10 PM

BADCALLSFOOTBALL, Obviously joking?? Do you honestly think that he’s “over” the Super Bowl loss?? Just because he has 2 rings doesnt mean that he’s taking this years loss with ease.

35. schmitty2 says: Mar 2, 2011 3:46 PM

most of you have no class.get a life already

Dude quit your whining..what are you Hine’s agent? I will send you a Terrible Towl to wipe your tears

36. Deb says: Mar 2, 2011 3:59 PM

@iwishiwasindc …

ROFL @ your Bonanza reference. My folks are a little younger than your mom, but they watch the Cartrights daily :) Mom finally may check out DWTS this season just to see Hines smile. The football players are always entertaining. I’m still surprised how bad Irvin was, how great Sapp was, how funny Rice continues to be … and Emmitt blew me away. Who knew?

37. habsman says: Mar 2, 2011 4:20 PM

If DWTS cures depression, I see a lot of dancing in the Steelers future!

38. dmobey says: Mar 2, 2011 10:20 PM

Finally, something an overweight, wash up can do.