James Harrison goes for another round of back surgery

Less than two weeks after undergoing back surgery to remove a piece of herniated disc off a nerve in his back, Steelers linebacker James Harrison is undergoing another surgery on Wednesday.

Harrison revealed the news on Facebook on Wednesday.  PFT contacted Harrison’s agent Bill Parisi, who confirmed the procedure will happen early this afternoon.

Parisi indicates it’s another back surgery, calling it a “follow up and continuation” of the previous surgery.  Parisi said they are just “cleaning out” the back again after finding something else.

“They got rid of something, and found a little more,” Parisi said.

Any back surgery is concerning, but Parisi said he only expected Harrison’s recovery to be delayed a week, which Harrison also indicated on his Facebook page.

Harrison told his fans that he had to stay seated for nine straight days after the first procedure and that he hated his life at the time.

“The way I feel now and it went well, I would hate to see how i would feel if it went bad,” Harrison wrote.

25 responses to “James Harrison goes for another round of back surgery

1. back surgery isn’t a fun thing to go through.and can be a problem if not healed right,and if anyone pokes fun at something like this should not be posting at all,Steeler fan or not back surgery is a risky thing for anyone

2. Perhaps if he wasn’t going for helmet to helmet hits all the time, he might actually be prolonging HIS OWN career, and not just the career of his victims.

3. When I saw he was going another round I assumed it was against his defenseless girlfriend he beat the crap out of in March 2008 again because in Pittsburgh class doesn’t matter. Results do.

4. Hope he didn’t develop a problem with scarring around the nerve from the first surgery. The good news is that elite athletes are usually treated by the best surgeons in the field. Just pray this will resolve the problem for good and James will be fully recovered for what I hope will be an on-schedule training camp.

5. Unfortunately, the bad news for him is structural problems with backs don’t miraculously get better through surgery or any other therapy to sustain the violence of his profession. Sorry Harrison fans, this is the beginning of the end of his career. Don’t be surprised if the Steelers use a high draft pick on his replacement this April.

6. I wonder if it’s really a staph infection that he’s dealing with from the first surgery. It’s funny how players tend to down-play all the staph infections they get, which seems like a lot to me.

Just seems suspicious that a surgeon wouldn’t have found all that he needed to the first time around.

7. @lambeauleaper

if it was a staph infection they wouldnt be going back in for anything.he would be put on antibiotics to treat it not surgery…and if it is a more serious staph would be put on intravenous antibiotics.

with back surgery anything can be missed depending how they do the surgery,if it is in the neck usually they make a small incision in the front of the neck and go in with small tools.,there are risks with any surgery,especially back surgery.

8. Stop hating on the guy, and just wish him well. Wish the niners can find a OLB like him ! smh

9. kyleortonsarm says:
    Mar 2, 2011 12:33 PM
    *********************************
    he didn’t beat his girlfriend up, he slapped a cell phone out of her hand and it caught her in the cheek. please check your facts.

10. kyleortonsarm says:
    Mar 2, 2011 12:33 PM
    ——————-
    I can see this place doesn’t change much. Still lots of blind internet toughguys that take their anger and bitterness out on a keyboard. I wonder where kyleortonsarm calls home?

Get well soon James!

11. myspaceyourface says:
    Mar 2, 2011 12:03 PM
    How did this guy play football. . .

He is amazing.

************************************

Its not HOW DID THIS GUY PLAY, Its how this guy plays… that is the problem, when you tackle with your head into other guys heads your going to develope back/neck problems, its inevitible the guy is an idiot… I hope he never steps a foot on the field again, he should’ve retired when he was crying about his fines he kept getting week in and week out for his dirty play.

*******************************

@flake131 says:
    Mar 2, 2011 2:06 PM
    kyleortonsarm says:
    Mar 2, 2011 12:33 PM
    *********************************

********************************
    How do you know what the facts are you think you got the whole story? I’m sure he didn’t mean to touch her, but he did, typical steeler trash..

12. Trying to get free from LT’s who regularly try to strangle him is the likely cause of his back problems. Look at the video. The only hemet to helmet shot was Cribbs and all agree that was legal.

13. @steelernation1:

I could be mistaken, but didn’t both Brady and Manning need second surgeries on their knees to clean out a staph infection? Anyway, good point about the sensitivity of the back with surgery – I didn’t think of that.

14. flake131 says:
    *********************************
    ——————————————

Uhh, yeah, just like OJ’s knife caught her in the neck.

15. @lambeauleaper

staph is an infection not a bone or ligament problem…look it up.antibiotics are the only thing that can cure it.been there trust me.there was more to mannings and bradys problem than they let on to believe…on harrison and brady and manning there is a possibilty of missed bone fragments which isnt that major of an issue as long as it is from the surgery itself and not an underlying problem