Jimmy Smith: Addressing character issues a key part of Combine

Jimmy Smith

Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith knows that NFL teams have identified him as a player with character questions. He says the Scouting Combine was an opportunity for him to address those questions.

Smith acknowledged today on PFT Live that he has failed a drug test, but he thinks he did what he needed to do in his Combine interviews to convince NFL teams that’s all in his past.

“I think they went well,” Smith said. “People know I have character issues, but I don’t think it’s character, I think it’s more bad decisions I made when I was younger. . . . They wanted to know what Jimmy Smith is all about, so I had to present myself well and I think I did that.”

Here’s the video:

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, PFT Live, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
16 Responses to “Jimmy Smith: Addressing character issues a key part of Combine”
  1. geeeeemen says: Mar 2, 2011 3:27 PM

“Jimmy” did not just refer to himself in 3rd person did he? Jimmy holds grudges!!

Great quote by Jimmy: “I think they went well,” Smith said. “People know I have character issues…”

2. dempsey63 says: Mar 2, 2011 3:28 PM

“And another thing, Jimmy: what was that thing with the 5th down?”

3. cdjones34 says: Mar 2, 2011 3:31 PM

Can you say EAGLE!!

4. hobartbaker says: Mar 2, 2011 3:51 PM

Bad decisions like the tats. Kid is scarred for life.

5. jethro007 says: Mar 2, 2011 3:53 PM

Best CB in the country.

6. thespeaker08 says: Mar 2, 2011 4:12 PM

If you have to say that you’re classy, then you’re not classy.

7. Mike Tomlin says: Mar 2, 2011 4:13 PM

I hope the Steelers can look past these “character concerns” if he falls to 31.

I realized i opened the “Big Ben character concerns” can of worms but hopefully you people are over those jokes by now…

8. hobartbaker says: Mar 2, 2011 4:23 PM

When are they going to start using white ink for the black guys tatoos? It seems like such an obvious solution.

9. coolzog says: Mar 2, 2011 4:43 PM

Uh Jimmy, it’s your decisions that determine what kind of character you have…

10. rumorhater says: Mar 2, 2011 6:14 PM

hobartbaker says:
    Mar 2, 2011 3:51 PM
    Bad decisions like the tats. Kid is scarred for life
    =================================

hobartbaker, sounds like you and Jimmy Smith have something in common!

11. norcalraider510 says: Mar 2, 2011 6:42 PM

i hope al davis trades down for him he is a beast in press coverage

12. brutus9448 says: Mar 2, 2011 6:43 PM

he’ll be a good player in the NFL. 6.2, 220 runs 3.4? Yea he’ll get drafted and he’ll probably fall to the end of first round and a playoff team will get him.

13. brutus9448 says: Mar 2, 2011 6:45 PM

“Uh Jimmy, it’s your decisions that determine what kind of character you have”

Like you’ve never made a bad decision when you were young. Everyone has. Doesn’t mean that everyone that made a bad decision when they were young have bad character. Get a clue

14. abninf says: Mar 2, 2011 7:17 PM

Soon he’ll be called a hero and given the keys to a city.

15. subset99 says: Mar 2, 2011 8:11 PM

That’s priceless. I forgot about that Seinfeld reference. Must not upset Jimmy; making Jimmy very angry!

The only thing I know about this guy is that not many passes were thrown his way, so there’s not a lot of data to sift through; but that’s also because teams were afraid to throw to the WR’s he covered. So I guess Jimmy might have “character” concerns, but definitely got respect.

16. fin72 says: Mar 3, 2011 7:36 AM

____________________________________

If he runs a “3.4″ I agree with you that he’ll get drafted… maybe even first overall.