Michael Vick signs franchise tender

Michael Vick

There will be no uncertainty or drawn-out negotiations: Michael Vick has signed on the dotted line to be the Eagles’ quarterback in 2011.

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer first reported that Vick will sign his franchise tender today, guaranteeing him a salary of more than $16 million next season. The Eagles later announced that the signing is official.

Vick and the Eagles may still work out a long-term deal at some point after the upcoming lockout, but at the moment it makes sense for him to get the one-year deal out of the way now. And a one-year salary of $16 million is a stunning turnaround for a guy who declared bankruptcy from a prison cell two and a half years ago.

Vick’s decision to sign the tender also speaks to what a good deal the franchise tag can be for players: Although the players’ union’s position is that franchise tags aren’t valid, seven different players who got the franchise tag this offseason decided to sign it. Heading into an offseason of uncertainty, a guaranteed salary of many millions of dollars is not a bad deal at all.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Michael Vick signs franchise tender”
  1. reidstinks says: Mar 2, 2011 7:53 AM

Cool, now they can trade him for two first round picks. I’d say Patrick Willis and the 49ers 7th pick ought to do the trick.

2. aschwartz2011 says: Mar 2, 2011 7:57 AM

Vicks creditors must be thrilled right now

3. jc1958cool says: Mar 2, 2011 7:57 AM

oh good, now if there is a season, he can pay his bills!

4. skoobyfl says: Mar 2, 2011 8:05 AM

Creditors owed ~$13 Million, paycheck $16 Million minus taxes = $.16 net for Vick’s bank. Better luck next year.

5. ny82jy says: Mar 2, 2011 8:21 AM

What a waste 16 mil for this guy. If I was a eagles fan I’d be so pissed off to have to cheer for him. I’d rather have kolb starting, even if he’s not as good right now. I’d develop kolb and trade away “the man of the year” for a good draft pick . They would save a ton of money and actually have a good face for their franchise.

6. bdert says: Mar 2, 2011 8:22 AM

Uh Oh!!! This means it’s time for more vehement scoldings & harsh rebukes…brace yourselves. Mike has to realize th@ he will never please Ppl after the fact who could not have been pleased before the fact…I think we all know why…

7. lovedabirds says: Mar 2, 2011 8:52 AM

———–
    Why?? Easier to make it about ridiculous references to things that have no bearing on the things he did. Let me clear it up for you, because he is a sick animal torturing POS – THAT’S WHY!!!

8. caseysarasota says: Mar 2, 2011 8:55 AM

NICEEEEEEE!! As a fan, im SUPER happy. and I LOVE TO ROOT FOR HIM. Im all about forgiveness and redemption…ESPECIALLY IF IT MEANS THE EAGLES GO TO THE BOWL!! WHAT?!!!!
    E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!! GO BIRDS

9. lovedabirds says: Mar 2, 2011 8:56 AM

——————

I am & I agree. Never delivers when the pressure is on, people will continue to make excuses for his poor playoff performances as they do about his poor track record as a human being. This guy will NEVER WIN anything for us!!

10. gcsuk says: Mar 2, 2011 9:06 AM

bdert says: Mar 2, 2011 8:22 AM

———————————————————————–

Funny, I don’t remember a whole lot of Vick “haters” before he went to prison. Sure, there were people that questioned his game and his pure quarterbacking skills, but I wouldn’t classify them as “haters”.

No the haters came out after he did the inhumane things that he admits doing to the dogs. I for one am a person who will never “forgive him”, just like I could never forgive/cheer for Donte Stallworth, Leonard Little, Rae Carruth, Lawrence Taylor etc…

Certain individuals, no matter WHAT they do on the field, do not deserve our admiration.

Ask yourself this…If Vick was not “MICHAEL VICK”, and just another guy who went to prison for what he did, would YOU want to hang out with him?

11. jw731 says: Mar 2, 2011 9:12 AM

What a bargin! Hell, 16 million is cheap for a man who cured cancer, solved world hunger, brought peace to the middle east, reversed global warming, erased the national debt….Oh wait, all he did was get out of jail and get a job….my bad….

12. animalkindness says: Mar 2, 2011 9:14 AM

I love it!!! The more he is on TV and on the field the more people can see how selfish he is with the ball, go ahead and run with it Mike take all the glory. Pride goeth before the fall.

Keep his name in the news and what happens.

13. paul82461 says: Mar 2, 2011 9:19 AM

Vick will always be known as the dog killer, no amount of time will change what most people think. Yes he did his time, but we will always remember the crime. I used to enjoy watching him with the Falcons but now I just shake me head in discust. I wouldnt pay him anything. Hope he crashes and burns.

14. oldbyrd says: Mar 2, 2011 9:23 AM

animalkindness: take up another sport. You have absolutely no idea what ur talking about. For the record moron. His team mates love him.

15. geemoney713 says: Mar 2, 2011 9:24 AM

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!! GO BIRDS

————————

I think your Caps Lock button is broken.

16. choice1329 says: Mar 2, 2011 9:24 AM

LOL LOL, now the haters are worried about Vick’s creditors, what a joke. Go Mike Vick, damm the haters, they are going to hate regardless, who cares.

17. famucancer says: Mar 2, 2011 9:42 AM

Oh here come the AWMs and CACs all riled up and mad!! Pound that keyboard! Turn beet red and get all angry! LOL, look how well it works! The more angry the haters get, it seems, well..seems like it doesn’t actually matter! Keep at it AWMs! Your hate is working!

18. bdert says: Mar 2, 2011 9:57 AM

————- LoL! Its called a pretext my man…who do u think you’re fooling?? Its ok to tell us how u, REALLY feel…U have a right to an opinion/preference…Why feign disdain? further more…I wasn’t asking WHY…bcuz we both KNOW, WHY!!! *Laughing*

19. kennyfukinpowers says: Mar 2, 2011 10:21 AM

Not a Eagirl fan, so i am thrilled he will be your QB next year. Philly’s stread of never winning a Superbowl will easily continue now. Good luck with keeping him out of trouble this offseason!

20. bdert says: Mar 2, 2011 10:30 AM

gcsuc says:
    Mar 2 2011 9:02 AM

bdert says:

The haters were always there…the dogs situation just gave them plausible justification in expressing it…Lets not misconstrue it…I personally thought what Mike did was cruel & classless…The difference is…Ppl break laws every day in a many ways…if caught…they are punished to what ever extent the law sees fit…but the idea of “never forgiving someone” tells a different story…as does the common tread in the list of individuals above th@ you will never forgive…

21. effinganimals says: Mar 2, 2011 10:39 AM

Still trying to understand why killing / torturing animals is a bad thing. Anyone? anyone?

22. animalkindness says: Mar 2, 2011 10:52 AM

oldbyrd: Hey you might be right, if so I stand corrected. But love him, come on that is a bit of a stretch and wishful thinking. But that being said better check out most of the posts on this site.

23. stonedwhitetrash says: Mar 2, 2011 10:53 AM

Duh; Michael who???

24. phillyfootballfan says: Mar 2, 2011 11:08 AM

The hate for this man is almost as bad as his crime.

For all the judgemental people out there, are you willing to put your life under a microscope? Yes his crime was very wrong, but he’s paid his price as seen fit by our legal system.

MV supports numerous charity functions, yet he gets blasted for cancelling on Oprah and another event (from yesterday’s news).

MV is not a selfish quarterback. A selfish quarterback could not help his team score 28 points in 9 minutes. Truth is he has roughly the same passing attempts in 2010 as Big Ben after starting the same number of games.

Give the hate a rest.

25. Sickwitit says: Mar 2, 2011 11:21 AM

______________________________
    If Vick was a normal person, 90% of the “haters” in here wouldn’t have anything to say on a daily basis. Vick wasn’t the First person who ever pleaded guilty to Dog Fighting; however the rest of the haters can’t name 2 other people without searching Google.

The only reason why there is so much hate is because He’s Mike Vick.

I could care less either way. What you’ve done in the past stays there as far as I’m concerned.

26. phillyfan4ever says: Mar 2, 2011 11:27 AM

This is awesomeee!

Now we get the draft/free agency/trades to bring in defense and o-line.

Birds gonna be dirty next season…if there is a next season :-/

27. animalkindness says: Mar 2, 2011 1:29 PM

You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. – Gandhi

28. goyzzo says: Mar 2, 2011 2:14 PM

What is wrong with you people. Mike Vick is a great football player, and has done his time, money, and took all the crap from everyone over his mis-deeds. Root for this man, and back him up, as he paid his debt to society. (I cant even beleive it is illegal to kill dogs…just nonsense)
    This guy will do great things in Philly, so take your animal cruelty butts to the outhouse, while this fine football player gets back to the penthouse. I think his new contract speaks volumes of the person he has become.
    I recall something from the bible about judging people….it says don’t do it.
    Go Mike Vick…you are the man!!!

29. gcsuk says: Mar 2, 2011 2:16 PM

@famucancer

No problem, AAI.

30. dant10 says: Mar 2, 2011 4:36 PM

Great move! Eagles are going all the way next year and I’m glad to have Mike Vick as the face of our team! Great example of a man who did wrong, served the time, then turned his life around!
    @ny82jy- what’s more important to you, a “good face” or a winning QB? I’m an Eagles fan and would much rather have Vick starting over Kolb any day (if we even keep Kolb). No disrespect to Kolb, great QB but it’s hard to be a starter when MV is on your team.
    @animalkindness- Are you even a sports fan? I love animals too but all your posting about is animals and Ghandi? These posts are SPORTS related.

31. hateradeonrocks says: Mar 2, 2011 6:41 PM

liars if Vick was on your team you’d love him. Anyway he can’t go back in time and unkill the dogs. He’s not babysitting my kids he’s playing QB. It’s fine I’m happy for him and he just needs to continue to live the right way.

32. ffhd1clt says: Apr 15, 2011 10:47 PM

People are such hypocrites. Every time I read something about Vick, there are always comments from people stating how they “can never forgive him,” etc. First of all, no matter how important one might think he/she is, it really doesn’t matter if you forgive him or not. I’m willing to bet almost none of those people have read anything more about Vick than a few newspaper headlines. There is almost always more to a story than meets the eye, but most people don’t bother to read anything for themselves, so they just make comments on what they “think” is the truth. For example, how many people know that in the project in eastern Virginia where Vick grew up, the cops regularly stopped by, and when they saw there was “nothing more” than a dog-fight going on, they would move on. Most of the people who “can’t forgive” Vick have no idea what it’s like to grow up in those conditions, and how it shapes peoples lives, and how they have to “unlearn” so many things learned from their childhood. Vick never used this as an excuse, but it was offered as an explanation. My 2 Beagles are sitting here with me as I type this, and there is no one who loves dogs more than me, it just isn’t possible. I am absolutely appalled by dog-fighting and the ilk such things attract. However, I just can’t play judge and jury to people’s lives, especially those who seem to be truly remorseful about what they have done. I keep trying to see the speck in the eyes of others, but the log in mine keeps getting in the way.