All eyes on the NFL

GoodellSmithCongress AP

Over the past few days, we’ve begun to wonder whether the NFL really has the nerve to impose a lockout.  With the NFL becoming in recent years what spokesman Greg Aiello described to PFT in December as “the ultimate reality show,” everything the league does draws more and more attention.

And so a lockout would attract plenty of attention — and in turn a lot of scrutiny.

Already this morning, I’ve heard the most casual of football observers talking about whether the NFL will be locking out the players at midnight.  If it happens, it will be a big deal.  And there will be a backlash.

And the NFL knows it.

Not all that long ago, I was convinced that the NFL had launched an elaborate, detailed, and persuasive bluff.  As one league insider explained it, any deal the NFL strikes with the players will be better than the deal the NFL currently has.  So why not apply maximum leverage and then do the best possible deal on the brink of a lockout?

We no longer thinks it’s a bluff, but we also think that, with the league now standing on the edge of the cliff, the question becomes mustering the nerve to jump.

Our advice?  Step back from the edge, press pause for at least a week, objectively assess Judge Doty’s ruling in the “lockout insurance” case, and begin to lay the foundation for negotiating a fair deal that allows both sides to continue to get richer and richer.

Once a lockout happens, fans will revolt.  And even though it’s not in our long-term interests to scare people away from following the NFL, we plan to join in the outcry.

There’s no reason why men of intelligence and goodwill can’t figure out how to carve up a $9 billion pie in a fair and appropriate way.  But if it’s beyond the capabilities of the owners and the union, fear not.  Failure to reach an agreement means there will be a much smaller pie to share in the future.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
58 Responses to “All eyes on the NFL”
  1. fin72 says: Mar 3, 2011 8:36 AM

If football gets taken away from us, there’s only one direction to point the blame. THE OWNERS!!! The players haven’t asked for a penny more than what they’ve been getting, and the owners have tried by unscrupulous means to screw them over. They’re deathly afraid to show their books because they know they’ll be exposed as the LIARS they are!

2. bdert says: Mar 3, 2011 8:40 AM

I think they’ll work things out…to much at stake…

3. chapnastier says: Mar 3, 2011 8:42 AM

The casual football fan is usually the idiot who jumps on a bandwagon when a team is hot. All they do is annoy those of us who know and understand the sport itself. They annoy those of us who are loyal followers of our teams. Those of us who breath, eat and sleep football. They are the ones who are more concerned with the commercials and the halftime show of the Superbowl than the actual game itself. If they have a problem, then too bad.

That said, I am literally shocked that all of the media is laying the blame on the owners and the NFL. All factual evidence supports that both sides are failing to reach an agreement together. The players think they can see the books of private companies and the owners think they can take, take and take. The problem is neither side is willing to give. It saddens me that “intelligent men” of the media are failing to evenly distribute the blame for this situation. We don’t have a gathering of intelligent men, we have a gathering of a bunch of rich men, one side who got there with athletic talents matched by none, the other by investments or inheritance and good business decisions.

I continue to tell the “casual” fan not to be fooled by the media’s portrayal of the blame for this situation. When explained logically they tend to understand it. The problem is that most people are sheep. They do and believe what the media tells them to believe. The outrage needs to be aimed at each side. Unlike MLB and the NHL, the NFL will be just fine in the event of a year long strike/lockout. The NFL has the most loyal fans of any sport in this country. We aren’t going anywhere just because of a spat. We may be angry for a little while but our love for the game will not waver.

Take your time guys. Work out a fair and logical deal that benefits both sides. But instead of leaving work at 2:00pm on a weekday, grind out an all niter or two. As long as you appear to be trying to get something done us fans… we aren’t going anywhere. Let the casual fans watch NASCAR on Sundays if they want.

4. mrf47 says: Mar 3, 2011 8:44 AM

The NFL ownership’s negotiating stance is ridiculous at this point. Is there another business that would say “it’s ok if our revenue gets slashed and we alienate our customers…we’ll be fine”.

5. theravenlives2 says: Mar 3, 2011 8:46 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lemme guess. You’re at teacher in Wisconsin, right?

6. touchdownroddywhite says: Mar 3, 2011 8:47 AM

“And even though it’s not in our long-term interests to scare people away from following the NFL, we plan to join in the outcry.”

And this is why I keep coming here. I’m very glad that not only are you willing to bite the hand that feeds you, but you also make no attempt to hide the fact that you’re about to do it.

7. godofwine330 says: Mar 3, 2011 8:47 AM

@fin72

You are exactly right. This isn’t a players strike. This is an NFL Owner imposed lockout. “You can’t come to work.” As you said, the players haven’t asked for a penny more, and it was the owners that opted out of the deal they signed just a few years before. The owners are to blame 100%.

8. bfridley says: Mar 3, 2011 8:48 AM

You guys REALLY gotta find another picture to depict the NFL-NFLPA discussions… getting tired of seeing their distressed mugs pop up every time there is one of these articles

9. clintonportisheadd says: Mar 3, 2011 8:48 AM

Mike and Mike ran a poll this morning on this issue and 67% of respondents said if their is a work stoppage they will blame the OWNERS.

That means that only 33% of their audience is made up of NFL billionaire loving idiots. I would have guessed it would have been higher….

Color me impressed.

10. sterilizecromartie says: Mar 3, 2011 8:52 AM

@fin

They are both to blame. This all goes back to greed. All of these owners and most of the players will make more in one year than any of us will make in our lifetime.

You can’t say it us all the owners fault. Both sides have to meet in the middle. The reason why the players haven’t asked for a penny more is because they have been on the more favorable side of this thing stemming from the last time a deal was signed.

11. Rex Grossman says: Mar 3, 2011 8:53 AM

Rog needs to find his inner tiger blood and adonis DNA and pull out a win.

12. halasfan says: Mar 3, 2011 8:53 AM

I am starting to worry i will have to fidn something else to watch and follow year round. When I was a kid Baseball went on strike. I stopped playing for the school and church league teams, stopped watching it on tv and got rid of my baseball cards. (kind of regret that part, from Evansville and had some signed Mattingly stuff) I have yet to watch Pro-baseball since.

A couple years ago Hockey did it to me. Blackhawks fan or not I haven’t watched or purchased any hockey stuff.

In 1995 Basketball irrated me with the way they hannded the championship to Jordon. I haven’t watch it since, I was a Chicago Bulls fan and I didn’t like the way the ref’s had two sets of rules during the games.

If the NFL does this I will have a tough choice to make. Do I start watch UFC, Professional Bowling, or gods forbid soccer???

Hoping George can come back and staighten this out.

13. vikesfan4life says: Mar 3, 2011 8:55 AM

It’s really too bad that it has come to this. The real losers in the case are the FANS and unfortunately it doesn’t seem that either side seems to care about that fact. There will be a backlash from the fans, much like there was when baseball went on strike back in the 90′s. The fans are the ones that have made the NFL into a multi-billion dollar business and the fans are the ones who can turn the other cheek and end up costing the NFL money. Hopefully they will realize that sooner rather than later and there WILL be an NFL season in 2011.

14. bleedgreen says: Mar 3, 2011 8:57 AM

I have been saying for weeks, after the Owners said they wanted 18% giveback right off the top, if they were prepared for the fact that they’ll have a much larger than 18% drop off in revenue if they actually do have a lockout.

I know a few of my co-workers said that if there is a lockout, they will just not watch football for at least a full season. Are the owners really that spoiled that they’d rather not make any money at all than have to share it with the players? Its my ball and if I can’t play what I want to play, I’m gonna go home?

15. spytdi says: Mar 3, 2011 8:57 AM

MLB Spring Training baby!

16. mantei says: Mar 3, 2011 8:57 AM

I don’t trust unions as far as I can thrown them, but this one is on the owners.

17. jackhall00 says: Mar 3, 2011 9:00 AM

Very well written Mike.
    I, for one will be doing the following if there is a lockout:
    I will cancel my NFL Sunday Ticket AND my Direct TV account tomorrow! I will just watch the games not broadcast on TV on the “pirate” sites over the Net–games are everywhere if you look and new ones pop up as soon as old ones are shut down.
    I will never buy any NFL licensed merch EVER again. If I do buy something I will make it a point to buy a “made in China” knockoff.
    I will NEVER attend another game (not that I like dropping 1500 bucks for a game with my family anyway)
    I will never buy my kids any sort of NFL licensed game (Madden etc)

So, for a guy like me who is 36 with a great job and lots of disposable income that works out to about at least $10,000 that I will make a point to NOT give the NFL over my lifetime. And I am just one fan–there are many like me.
    Listen up owners–if there is a lockout the backlash is going to be against you guys.

18. Patriot42 says: Mar 3, 2011 9:00 AM

I actually would like to see a lockout and watch the billionaire owners and millionaire players destroy themselves. I love watching football but the greed from the college players coming out early to the oldest NFL play is ridiculous. They all want two million a game and at the same time the average fan is squeezed out as it cost a hundreds for a family of four to attend the game. Good luck getting that two million a game.

19. blizzard01 says: Mar 3, 2011 9:01 AM

At a time like this when tensions are high, and so much is on the line I think it’s a good time for both sides to step back, take a deep breath and simply ask themselves:
    “What would Charlie Sheen do?”

Think I’m kidding? Just watch.

20. chocopoppy says: Mar 3, 2011 9:01 AM

ultimately I blame the owners. When you compare the typical football salary and the short careers to other sports, it seems to me that NFL players have it financially worse than NHL, NBA, MLB. Plus the injury factor.

It seems owners in the NFL did fine for decades without extorting the public for new stadia. Now the players are supposed to help pay for the owners’ new cash-generating palaces? In an era of unprecedented TV rights fees? Greed, greed, greed.

21. hooterdawg says: Mar 3, 2011 9:01 AM

Pressure is placed on both sides of the bargaining table by the weasels in the media who will annoint the WINNER and LOSER in any new agreement. In a perfect world, the agreement would be sealed and unavailable for dissection. The two sides would continue to prosper under terms known only to the NFL and NFLPA. But such is not the case, and the media lurks like vultures ready to pick on the carcass of the side that gains the least in any new agreement.

22. dirtybird06 says: Mar 3, 2011 9:02 AM

I wish the fans would boycott the first weeks games by not showing up to send a message to those greedy ass owners.

Greedy MF’ers looking for for more money…

23. ashburninsider says: Mar 3, 2011 9:02 AM

I side with the owners. Yes they should pay for a retirement and health insurance policy for retired players but they should also be able to recieve a bigger chunk of the teams earnings. They take the risk in buying and running the teams. The players make way to much in my opinion as it is. Im 36 and in average shape. If the players strike and don’t want there million dollar check I’ll gladly play. It might not be the fastest or most athletic game but I am willing to bet there are plenty of people like me that would take that check to do something they love. And thats play the game for the love of the game. Something a lot of players have forgotten.

24. jjay9 says: Mar 3, 2011 9:02 AM

fin72 has to be a Dolphins player, active or retired. Is that you Mercury?

I think more fault lies with the Union. Dont like what the owners have to offer?…….find a new job.

The owners have no obligation to open their books. Players do not own the team. The teams are privately held. The owners own the team, they are in the business of making money, as much as they can. Players never use that tactic do they? No player has ever held out for more money, even though they signed a contract in good faith. Have the owners offer small, 100% guaranteed contracts in addition to a rookie wage scale. Otherwise have players use their college degrees to support themselves.

No sympathy here for overpaid players.

25. myspaceyourface says: Mar 3, 2011 9:04 AM

Why would people be “scared” to watch football.

A dose of reality is needed on all fronts.

26. vetdana says: Mar 3, 2011 9:06 AM

Yes, a lockout will cause a fan Backlash! Granted, there will always be diehard fans who will do anything/pay any price, to be able to attend or watch a football game.But, with the nations economy still in the tank and the average fan wondering if he well still be employed next week ,and where he is going to get the money to pay for the health insurance his company just dropped,[3000 people per week are losing health insurance benefits as per a gov. study last year]fans in large numbers are going to stop their support of all NFL activites and merchandise purchasing. This will be a substantial number of persons whose voices are crying” We have had enough” Play football or we are going to remember with our credit cards!”

27. abengalfan says: Mar 3, 2011 9:06 AM

Screw the union. If the employees do not like what the owner wants to pay them there are plenty of other jobs in this country they can work at. If they have no other marketable skills whose fault is that?
    Name any private business where the books are open for all to see?
    And remember back in ’87 when the NFL shutdown? The sun still rose every morning and set every night.
    Do not recall any news about people dieing do to lack of the NFL.

28. eagleswin says: Mar 3, 2011 9:07 AM

———————-

I’m pretty sure the NFLPA got the retired players on board by promising to try to get them increased benefits from the Owners. Keep in mind that the owners aren’t proposing the players lose any of the gold plated benefits/pensions/etc.

From an article in December ..

The active players now have average annual salaries that are close to 2 million dollars. They also tacked on money to their pensions – $470 per credited season compared to $250 and $255 for all players before 1982 and 1993 respectively. They reduced vesting from 4 years to 3 years for anyone that played since 1993. They created other retirement type plans like the Second Career Savings Plan and the Annuity Plans that now have more money in them then the NFL Pension Plan. They created the Health Reimbursement Account to help pay for medical costs and the Tuition Assistance Plan to help with educational costs. They created the Performance Based Pay Plan that puts $100 million in additional money “annually” into the active player pocket.

The NFLPA and the active players do not want to share any of the money that could go to their salary and benefits and that is why they are proposing a Legacy fund that is paid for “outside” of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

29. grantgoodman93 says: Mar 3, 2011 9:07 AM

Go owners go, f the young players making more than seasoned vets like Ray and Brady fresh out of the draft. It seems like every year the Colts are talking about giving Peyton a pay raise. It’s cause these unproven kids come out and get a little less than what one of the greatest to ever play is getting paid. I hope they screw the players over

30. superbills2011 says: Mar 3, 2011 9:12 AM

Its ridiculous that it has even gotten this far. The owners have every right to the money their team/company generates. The players (employees) have no right to see those financials as they are not publicly held companies. The players should be thankful they get paid what they do. They make an exorbanent amount of money to play a game and get top notch health care and physical conditioning. Even the lowest payed players make 10 times the average american. Top players get paid millions (MILLIONS) to PLAY. They should not get a guaranteed percent of the revenue, thats ridiculous. They should get what their player contract says and thats it.

31. mikebrownmakesmefrown says: Mar 3, 2011 9:13 AM

I’m an avid fan that’s already been turned away. With all the rule changes and now this the NFL isn’t even a game anymore. A combination of ESPN, Roger Goodell, and these labor negotiations have ruined the NFL permanently. How many men in suits does it take to break down a 3 yard run? Just shut the hell up and play football, and by the way you may you may get hit in the process. The sad thing is everyone concentrates on everything that isn’t football these days. I hope the league returns to the pre 1995 form, but I do not see it happening. RIP NFL

32. east96st says: Mar 3, 2011 9:14 AM

fin72 says: “If football gets taken away from us, there’s only one direction to point the blame. THE OWNERS!!! ”

Didn’t you get the memo from Rush & Glenn? Everything bad ever is all the unions fault. So what if TWO parties have to sign a labor contract? It’s not the fault of the idiots that signed all these so called “bad deals”!!! It’s the unions that tricked them into signing the contracts. Notice how the owners fail to mention that the two owners that complained bitterly that the current contract was not a good one were mocked and derided by all the other owners for not being entrepreneurial enough to maximize revenues. As usual, the wackos take zero personal responsibility for their own faults and demonize the other. Love politics in this country. Don’t think it out, just do what the talking heads tell you to do. China must sit back and laugh and laugh and laugh.

33. clintonportisheadd says: Mar 3, 2011 9:17 AM

ashburninsider says: Mar 3, 2011 9:02 AM

I side with the owners. . The players make way to much in my opinion as it is. Im 36 and in average shape. If the players strike and don’t want there million dollar check I’ll gladly play….

—————–

But therein lies the rub. No one would pay to see you play. No network would pay to televise you (and your similarly situated pals) . I would love to get millions to be in movies but I don’t like like Clooney. I would love to get millions for recordings but I don’t sing like Streisand. Football is an ENTERTAINMENT industry and folks who compare it to making cars or concrete are simple minded fools. And you make up 33% of Mike and Mike’s radio audience (see my earlier post)

34. patmcrotch says: Mar 3, 2011 9:22 AM

Fin72 – That’s the exact reason why the NFL will survive. The majority of fans (from what I’ve read in forums) side with the players and so when the players get locked out, there will be sympathy for them. Fans dont cheer on the owners, they cheer for the players. So by the players being the ones getting screwed, when a new deal is finally reached, the fans will be back to support the players they loved who were treated unfairly. This will be different then other sports bc baseball chose to strike, it was the players causing the stoppage.

Since the fans side with the players, they feel just as cheated as the players, and will feel more obligated to support the players once it starts back up.

35. walzav31 says: Mar 3, 2011 9:23 AM

The revolt has already begun – Fans Against Looming Lockout has over 1200 members on facebook (sounds corny, but worked in Egypt) and the lockout hasn’t occurred yet. I encourage all of you to join. It’s the best way fans/customers can channel their anger, and use it in a productive way. Boycotts.

36. PFTiswhatitis says: Mar 3, 2011 9:23 AM

@fin72: so you have no problem with a guy like Vernon Gholston coming out and making huge money but never performing? If for no other reason, as a fan you should care for the quality of the game.

37. Kave Krew says: Mar 3, 2011 9:44 AM

This captures my thoughts

From Seinfeld – The Contest

Fans: (Frantic) No, no, no. Don’t do it. Don’t do it! For my sake! God knows I don’t ask you for much! (Pleading) Now, come on. Please, NFL. Please! I’m beggin’ ya! Please! (Claps hands) Come on! Please!

(A pause as The Commish thinks it over)

Commish: ..Alright.

Fans: Yes!

Fans: (Moving to the window) Thank you, thank you, thank you. (Sits in the Commish’s chair, looking out the window)

38. tommytd says: Mar 3, 2011 9:49 AM

Do me a personal favor and shut the whole thing down. I walked away from baseball when they struck and haven’t been back since. I’m hoping if they shut down football I can walk away from that too! No biggie.

39. alanschech says: Mar 3, 2011 9:51 AM

Can’t believe that it is coming to this. Not good.

40. smokehouse56 says: Mar 3, 2011 9:57 AM

If the owners enforce a lockout before the end of the contract, it’s easy to see who’s at fault. It’s like a player wanting a new, more money contract because he outperformed his old one. He will never want a new, less money contract if he under performed his old one. Hypocrites on both sides.

41. vikefan says: Mar 3, 2011 9:57 AM

Bottom line, there is so much money at stake here i dont think either side will trust the other. Owners are hiding money but at same time rookies who have never played a down get more money than a 15 year veteran will ever see. Maybe all contracts need to be completely restructed where there are no more off season “roster bonuses” or signing bonuses. This way players wont have to worry bout losing money in off season. Split salary over your 16 game schedule, then owners or front office cannot dupe you like many are doing now in off season. There is a lot of crap going on but botton line is no one is willing enuff to play chicken and give in so may all of u millionairs and billinaires go down the toilet together!!

42. ashburninsider says: Mar 3, 2011 9:57 AM

clintonportisheadd says:
    Mar 3, 2011 9:17 AM

___________________________________

So your saying that people would not cheer on a team just because I can’t run as fast as Chris Johnson or hit as hard as Ray Lewis? If this was the case then why watch college football? It’s a lesser product. Those players are not as developed as the pro’s. Explain to me why people watched the NFL the last time the players were on strike? Maybe my simple mind can’t grasp what your saying.

43. eagleswin says: Mar 3, 2011 10:00 AM

walzav31 says:
    Mar 3, 2011 9:23 AM

=====================

Charlie Sheen got over 1 million members in less than 24 hours. I don’ think that’s going to get his job back and you are talking maybe 1/100th of the followers he got?

Good luck.

44. halasfan says: Mar 3, 2011 10:00 AM

I find it odd Clintonportisheadd wants to look like klooney and sing like Streisand. I think he may have issues other that what to do if there is no football. Not that there anything wrong with that.

45. jsratx says: Mar 3, 2011 10:01 AM

As Shaq once said on a license plate…

IDGAF.

46. ipeefreelyagain says: Mar 3, 2011 10:02 AM

I feel compelled to give my 2 cents on the subject.

NFL PLAYERS are greedy, not the owners. Owners deserve the biggest piece of pie.

Why?

It’s their team! They run a business. They risked their own dollars getting into the NFL. They have to weather the storm when times are bad, and get to flourish in times of prosperity. Are NFL players concerned with covering stadium expenses and taxes? Paying for R&M, covering the costs of a new stadium and upgrades?

The players are vastly OVER PAID. Just because the CEO of a company makes a $4 million dollar salary, does that mean all the workers should too? No. Its the same concept with the NFL.

The NFL players are EMPLOYEES, NOT PARTNERS, get over it. If they don’t like it, welcome to the real world and get an actual job.

I say bring on the replacements!!!!

47. brutus9448 says: Mar 3, 2011 10:12 AM

The owners can do whatever they want and the fans will come back. The fans watch the football for the love of the game not the love of the players

48. eagleswin says: Mar 3, 2011 10:14 AM

clintonportisheadd says:
    Mar 3, 2011 9:17 AM

===================

Here’s where your argument breaks down as does everyone who touts that we watch the NFL because of the players. If George Clooney stopped making movies, would movies stop being made? No. They would hire someone else. This other actor (good looking no doubt) would get Clooney’s money and movie roles. In turn some young actor would get the parts that the “new Clooney” doesn’t have time for. People would go to these movies and these movies would make money. The circle of life goes on.

Football is the same way. If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger never play football again, I really don’t care. I root for the team. I root for the players on my favorite team, when they are on my favorite team. If there was a better football league out there I’d watch it instead but there isn’t.

The players can all go play in the UFL or Arena League for all I care. Good luck getting million dollar salaries, gold plated health care, tuition assistance, etc.

People wouldn’t boycott movies just because they don’t have Clooney in them. Same thing with Football.

49. EJ says: Mar 3, 2011 10:14 AM

Great post Mike!
    Once a lockout happens, fans will revolt. And even though it’s not in our long-term interests to scare people away from following the NFL, we plan to join in the outcry.

Start the revolting people, clocks a ticking…

50. eagleswin says: Mar 3, 2011 10:21 AM

smokehouse56 says:
    Mar 3, 2011 9:57 AM

==================

There was an opt out clause for the owners in the old contract. The CBA ends TODAY because of that clause. The lockout would only go into effect after the EXPIRATION of the CBA (ie. tommorrow).

Players using clauses in their contracts to their advantage I have no problem with. It’s the players who 1 or 2 years after signing their contract who hold out for more money which is hypocritical. The average player treats signing bonus money like walking around money and never factor it into their average annual salary when complaining about being underpaid.

If you get a $10,000,000 signing bonus and then get paid $1,000,000/year for 4 years. You are not underpaid at $1,000,000/yr. You actually made $3,500,000/yr on average.

51. canjura says: Mar 3, 2011 10:32 AM

@Fin72: ever think that maybe the players have been totally overpaid due to the last, horrible cba? They’re getting a 60/40 split (after the 1 billion dollar exception, I know), but that’s still too much. 1 billion dollars doesn’t even cover the values of every NFL team. Hell, it doesn’t even cover 1/3rd of the teams.

now, imo, the NFL needs to make its stand at a 55/45 split for the owners. With that said, if they put a rookie wage scale in, I’m pretty sure every single current player would be getting paid about the same. The players don’t want to go to 18? Okay, owners, that’s fine. You’re getting the money, they’re getting their choice of games. You’ve met in the middle on two separate subjects. Now, as for the old players getting their thing, owners need to realize, they MADE the league what it is today, give them their benefits.

52. realitypolice says: Mar 3, 2011 10:34 AM

bleedgreen says:

====================

Your co-workers are liars. The league knows they are liars, and are not the tiniest bit afraid that anyone will boycott football. Because you won’t.

You never do. There has never been, and will never be, a fan revolt.

The NFL kicks it’s fans in the teeth time after time after time. And the all the fans say is “thank you sir, may I please have another.”

From PSL’s, to $200 jerseys, to constantly escalating ticket prices, to putting regular season games on it’s own network that isn’t available in millions of US homes, to suing bars that have Super Bowl parties, to constantly extorting broke cities to build stadiums.

You take it and take it and take it. If you think you’ll be watching bowling the next time your team takes the field in a regular season game, be it next September, November, or 2012, you’re lying to yourself.

And believe me, the NFL knows it.

53. canjura says: Mar 3, 2011 10:39 AM

@clintonportisheadd:

btw, the pole was 40/60 and its getting smaller by the hour.

54. bleedgreen says: Mar 3, 2011 11:27 AM

realitypolice says:
    Mar 3, 2011 10:34 AM

============================

Actually, I stopped watching hockey after they didn’t had their lockout. Before that I went to at least 5 Flyers games a year. I haven’t watched, or gone to a game, or bought any merchandise since. I may check the standings or scores on ESPN once in a while, but I have yet to watch a game in full, despite the Flyers going as far as they did last year.

55. polishkingski says: Mar 3, 2011 11:59 AM

the nfl on sundays? no big deal. just got a fresh copy of “the legend of ron burgandy”….so goodell, where did you get those those clothes, at the toilet store?

56. Eyes Only says: Mar 3, 2011 1:52 PM

OK, I think I’ve figured out why those in the media including this site are predicting a backlash from the fans about the lockout. It’s because sites like this will lose traffic and probably revenue as well, if fans aren’t thinking about football this summer. ESPN will lose a couple of percentage points in their ratings if they have no NFL news to cover. So it makes sense for the media to do everything in their power to promote this Doom and Gloom scenario about the lockout.

Don’t listen to this media nonsence owners. Do what ever you have to do to get this situation rectified. If you need to lockout, then lockout. The league will be better off for it in the long run. The NFL has survived labor issues in the past and gone on to increase it’s popularity each time. The NFL is not Major League Baseball, which is a flawed league to begin with, so of course there was a backlash for them, but that won’t happen with the NFL. One of the things the NFL does best is cater to it’s fans in providing a better product. That’s why it’s so popular. Not because of the players. When the dust settles the fans will be there waiting.

57. flapjack1231 says: Mar 3, 2011 2:15 PM

Why would anyone boycott the NFL if no games are missed? LOL How many babies are actually out there?

Strikes happen all the time while services are suspended or impaired. Whether by fault of the employees, the employer, the unions or the entity. Boycotting? Jaded & bitter people.

58. kidder95 says: Mar 3, 2011 10:56 PM

Too late…

I already have decided to spend my usual family football money on an outing to see the Seattle Sounders.

Go MLS. At least they can negotiate a deal.

My love for NFL is going the way of NBA. And I’ve not returned for NBA. Hell, I even dropped college basketball.

Weird.