Jeremy Shockey says he’s headed for Carolina

J. Shockey1

In Jeremy Shockey’s mind, he’s gone to Carolina.

“Looks like I’m signing with Carolina,” Shockey wrote on Facebook Thursday.   “Time for the Next chapter. This is a great opportunity for me, and I am excited to play football. Lets hope we all have the chance to play this season.”

We’re still awaiting official confirmation of the news, but Shockey figures to be a pretty good source on the issue.  It was expected that he would sign with a team before the lockout.  He chose one that has searched for a quality every-down pass-catching tight end for a very long time.   Shockey also took a physical with the Dolphins.

Shockey can be a solid starter, but injuries have sapped his production and explosiveness over the last few years.

UPDATE: A league source tells PFT the contract is for two years.  It has not been signed yet.

UPDATE II: Correction: The deal is only for one year.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Jeremy Shockey says he’s headed for Carolina”
  1. ny82jy says: Mar 3, 2011 2:45 PM

I’m sure Shockey will do great in Carolina.. NOT!! He’s another me player I’ve watched him since his giants days. Everytime he goes down with a injury his team never misses him..

2. catman72 says: Mar 3, 2011 2:47 PM

Wow, you mean someone wanted to come here instead of Miami? You guys assured me that nobody wanted to come play for Carolina…

3. phinfan says: Mar 3, 2011 2:48 PM

Ow darn, I was really hoping he would come to Miami and implode our offense with bad attitude.

4. stinkfingers says: Mar 3, 2011 2:52 PM

Trading in Drew Brees for Jimmy Clausen… Ouch.

5. citizenstrange says: Mar 3, 2011 2:53 PM

Why not? All he does is win. Or at least he had as much to do with the Giants and Saints Super Bowl wins as Roethlisberger did with the Steelers.

GO STEELERS!

6. patmcrotch says: Mar 3, 2011 2:59 PM

I called this the day he was cut from the Saints.

7. b1unt3d says: Mar 3, 2011 3:00 PM

enjoy obscurity

8. psousa1 says: Mar 3, 2011 3:01 PM

That’s when you know nobody wants you – Carolina. Wow.

9. bnwillard says: Mar 3, 2011 3:06 PM

This would’ve been a great acquisition for the Panthers – 4 years ago. Shockey has nothing left in the tank

10. chucknoll says: Mar 3, 2011 3:11 PM

he wont see the playoffs there not wit the falcons bucs and saints twice a year each he prolly figures he got money and 2 rings Im done

11. waitingguilty says: Mar 3, 2011 3:11 PM

James Taylor bites.

12. panther17 says: Mar 3, 2011 3:15 PM

I’m a fan of the 1 year deal. Let him earn a long term contract.

13. terrellochouno says: Mar 3, 2011 3:22 PM

Say what you want about Shockey’s age & lack of productivity, but I got four words for ya: Jeff king, Dante Rosario. Shockey’s looking pretty damned appealing given the circumstances.

14. panther17 says: Mar 3, 2011 3:22 PM

I can’t say I’m over joyed with the signing.

15. thespeaker08 says: Mar 3, 2011 3:30 PM

Called that when he got cut….

16. thespeaker08 says: Mar 3, 2011 3:34 PM

also…

don’t care that he’s past his prime…the dude can catch. what Carolina TE has been able to do that in last 9 years?

17. thehighhat says: Mar 3, 2011 3:36 PM

From the penthouse to the outhouse.

Glad he helped the Saints win a Super Bowl though!

18. jsarge99 says: Mar 3, 2011 3:37 PM

He may suck, but the panthers need anyone that can catch a ball. Good pickup, it can only help.

19. bucfandango says: Mar 3, 2011 3:40 PM

A very bad team just got worse.

20. 504in860 says: Mar 3, 2011 3:46 PM

Well I guess he wants to face his old team twice per season as “revenge.”

Ha!

21. BleedingSilverAndBlack says: Mar 3, 2011 3:49 PM

UPDATE III: Correction: This is not even a real story!

22. panther17 says: Mar 3, 2011 3:54 PM

thespeaker08,

In the John Fox system, Tight End is the extra tackle the league lets you switch from side to side on any given run or pass play. The idea that Tight End’s can be athletic and pass catcher is blasphemy and have no part of true football managed by J. Fox.

23. panther17 says: Mar 3, 2011 3:55 PM

( I wish you could edit your posts)

thespeaker08

Continuing on my post I mistakenly posted before finished ….

That is why Carolina has not had a TE worth a damn in the John Fox era. He didn’t want one or believe in one.

24. thefiesty1 says: Mar 3, 2011 4:18 PM

Longer than one year is ridiculous. As injury prone as he is, he’ll be lucky to make it through one year. Good luck Carolina, you’ll need it.

25. footballfan292 says: Mar 3, 2011 4:24 PM

This doesnt really help the Panthers all that much. They need a QB. They need to rebuild the defense. That team has at least a few years to go to be competitive again. But who knows, anything is possible especially in the kooky NFC South. No team has won that division two years in a row and no team has finished in last place two years in a row.

26. panther17 says: Mar 3, 2011 4:51 PM

The D doesn’t need rebuilt. The D was good last year but it crumbled under the pressure of both stopping the opposing teams D as well as scoring points since the our O couldn’t. Really it just got worn down from always being on the field since the O couldn’t get a first down. Eventually the injuries on the D did us in by the end of the year.

We need major improvement in QB play whether that is from a QB on the roster or from someone to be added later. Some O line help would be appreciated as well.

27. unclehilroy says: Mar 3, 2011 5:17 PM

The only thing Jeremy Shockey is addicted to right now is winning.

28. thespeaker08 says: Mar 3, 2011 6:31 PM

No no I feel you panther17, im a panthers fan too

So I know exactly what you’re saying… I just never could understand why they thought smith was going to consistently get open with absolutely no second receiver or at least a catching TE. I was watching an NFL network game once and the commentators were like “these TE’s are of so little threat they’re not even covering them with linebackers” which is true.. You could leave a TE open and it wouldn’t matter because practically no plays were designed to ever even glimpse at getting them the ball. If they did get the ball, they were so slow it would never be but a 10 or 15 yard gain at max.

29. screamingsheep69 says: Mar 3, 2011 7:06 PM

Does he know the bars close at 2am in Charlotte? Might have swung him towards Miami if he did.