On Bob Sanders’ giant banner and Eric Weddle’s future

Bob Sanders

The enormous image of safety Bob Sanders that greeted everyone at the Combine last week remains on the exterior of Lucas Oil Stadium, despite his departure to the Chargers.  For now.

The team says Sanders’ poster — which weighs several hundred pounds —  will eventually come down, but there’s no timetable to do so.  A poll on the Indianapolis Star website asked fans who should replace Sanders.   Colts punter Pat McAfee is winning the vote over Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday, and Gary Brackett, which is proof that Colts fans shouldn’t choose the honor.

Sanders’ arrival in San Diego, meanwhile, has a lot of people asking if Eric Weddle is leaving town.  It shouldn’t make a difference.  Weddle plays free safety, and Sanders plays strong safety.

With that said, the Chargers oddly haven’t approached Weddle about a long-term deal.

“I am absolutely baffled we haven’t had a conversation,” Weddle’s David Canter told Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

We’re a little baffled too, but Acee reports the Chargers want to build their secondary around Weddle.  Making Sanders a priority first may be odd, but it’s only a first piece to the puzzle.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
22 Responses to “On Bob Sanders’ giant banner and Eric Weddle’s future”
  1. meattuperello says: Mar 4, 2011 12:49 PM

Why should Weddle be surprised by anything the Chargers moron GM J.A. Smith says or does?

2. marvsleezy says: Mar 4, 2011 12:53 PM

I agree, Colts fans shouldn’t the honor.

Is anyone sick of the typos yet??

3. jagerbolt says: Mar 4, 2011 1:03 PM

Man I really hope they work something out with him.

Despite a lot of criticism he gets on the Chargers forum the guy is a key piece of our D. Losing him would be difficult to overcome.

4. brasho says: Mar 4, 2011 1:18 PM

I am, Marv. It’s gotten to the point where Rosenthal’s articles are unreadable. I never check the author’s name before I read it, but before I’m done I ALWAYS know if Rosenthal was the author.

5. phinheads says: Mar 4, 2011 1:33 PM

loser gm, loser coach, loser team

6. qj1984 says: Mar 4, 2011 1:45 PM

LMAO @ the Punter winning over a guy like Dallas Clark. When Peyton Manning retires and the Colts stop winning, they will be destined for LA. When will that stadium be done again?

7. sdboltaction says: Mar 4, 2011 1:49 PM

Aj is an idiot. I think that’s already a pretty well known fact.

fans the honors, baby.

8. jonscoit says: Mar 4, 2011 1:58 PM

Weddle’s been tendered at the first-round level as an RFA (under the current CBA) and will likely qualify for UFA under the next CBA. While unnamed people who don’t have final say over personnel at other teams have said on background they think Weddle is the awesumest safety EVAR, the actual free agent market for Weddle is unclear at this point. Smith certainly isn’t more stupid than the things said about him on comment boards like this one.

9. sterilizecromartie says: Mar 4, 2011 2:15 PM

The Punter?!? I would rather have the equipment guy or even Unblinkable Caldwell have their banners up before the punter.

10. meattuperello says: Mar 4, 2011 2:36 PM

The punter hasn’t lost a game for them like Caldwell has…. MULTIPLE times…

It’s sad that this failure has a pro job.

11. nackul says: Mar 4, 2011 2:49 PM

Is Eric Weddle dating David Canter now?

Come on Rosie. This is hogwash.

12. sl55090 says: Mar 4, 2011 2:50 PM

Hey Marv…to top it off it is National Grammar day. I also like “Weddle’s David Canter ” I assume he meant Weddle’s agent David Canter”

But enough of that….time to go vote for my new favorite player Pat McAfee. I would love to get him and Jeff Reed together to party!

13. sonvar says: Mar 4, 2011 2:58 PM

Why the hate on Punters? If the fans want to have Pat McAfee up there then that’s their choice and they have to live with it whether they intend it as a gag or not.

14. rosenthalspellchecker says: Mar 4, 2011 3:10 PM

A poll on the Indianapolis Star website asked fans who should replace Sanders. Colts punter Pat McAfee is winning the vote over Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday, and Gary Brackett, which is proof that Colts fans shouldn’t choose the honor.

————————————————–

Assuming that only Indianapolis fans are voting for the replacement player. Typical ecological fallacy, maybe fans of other teams just think it would be funny to have a punter displayed on the outside of the colts building during the year they host the superbowl… but I don’t work for PFT in the off-season.

15. NFLJunkie says: Mar 4, 2011 5:46 PM

I think the fact that Colts fans want to honor the guy who gets on the field maybe two plays a game (at least as long as Manning is healthy) is hilarious.

16. pettergriffen says: Mar 4, 2011 6:55 PM

17. rayguyreturns says: Mar 4, 2011 7:27 PM

“pettergriffen says:
    eric weddle is baffaled ???? did anyone watch him get run over again and again by mcfadden hahahah lawlz”
    _____________________________________
    You beat me to it. McFadden along with Michael Bush used Weddle for a door mat. It’s hard to believe they want him back.

18. hooterdawg says: Mar 4, 2011 9:23 PM

Shouldn’t Sanders be playing weak safety?

19. joetoronto says: Mar 5, 2011 6:40 AM

Every time I hear the name “Eric Weddle”, I think of McFadden running him over, time and time again.

20. obsession55 says: Mar 8, 2011 9:58 AM

When I hear the name “Eric Weddle” I think of him yanking Reggie Wayne to the ground and running an interception back for a td. No flag of course.

And i believe Dallas Clark’s banner is already hanging on the stadium. Its Peyton, Sanders, Freeney, Reggie and Dallas…but i could be wrong

21. weakafceast says: Mar 13, 2011 9:52 PM

A healthy Sanders & Weddle would make the Chargers safety tandom the best in the league, if they actually play a down that is.

22. weakafceast says: Mar 13, 2011 9:58 PM

And the Raiders have won exactly division titles in the last ten years? 1, 2002 when the lost by 27 in the SB, in San Diego no less. There’s your McFadden.