Raiders say Robert Gallery priced himself out of Oakland

Robert Gallery

Robert Gallery will not return to the Oakland Raiders in 2011 because of what he calls a “mutual agreement” — and what the team calls an example of a player overestimating his worth.

“The only thing that was mutually agreed upon is his numbers were way out of line with ours,” Raiders senior executive John Herrera said.

According to Herrera, Gallery asked the Raiders for a new contract paying him $8 million a year. The Raiders were offering him $2.5 million. So, yeah, I’d say a difference of $5.5 million a year is “way out of line.”

Gallery has been very well paid since the Raiders made him the second overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft, and although he’s been a regular starter at guard, overall he’d have to be considered a disappointment: Coming out of Iowa he was widely viewed as the league’s next great left tackle. He’s been far short of that.

On his way out, Gallery had only positive things to say about the Raiders.

“With the end of the league year coming today, and the few conversations I’ve had with the Raiders and Mr. Davis, we’ve come to a mutual agreement that it’s time for me to move on with my career,” Gallery told ESPN’s Adam Schefter. “I appreciate the start that they and Mr. Davis gave me and I truly have enjoyed my time wearing the silver and black. I wish them well, I thank the fans and I take away great memories of my time in Oakland.”

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Raiders say Robert Gallery priced himself out of Oakland”
  1. joetoronto says: Mar 4, 2011 8:47 AM

Cable was essentially gone when he said “You can’t call us losers anymore”, after going 8-8.

Gallery was essentially gone when he backed Cable so profusely.

See ya.

2. danimalk82 says: Mar 4, 2011 8:52 AM

I thought the only way you could price yourself out of Oakland was to ask for too little money… Hey-Yo!

3. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Mar 4, 2011 8:53 AM

I didn’t think anyone was overpriced for the Crypt Keeper…

Strange happenings indeed!

4. riverhorsey says: Mar 4, 2011 8:58 AM

must of been some hot chicks out there, his great memories had nothing to do with winning football games.

5. chapnastier says: Mar 4, 2011 8:58 AM

You can’t really call his career a disappointment. I mean he had to move to a new position but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t excelled. Oakland has had a fairly decent running game so that has to be considered.

6. cytofed says: Mar 4, 2011 9:01 AM

So long rob! Don’t let them call you a bust! You might of end up being an elite lt had you gone else with better coaching earlier in you career. Good luck heading up north.

7. rundmc81 says: Mar 4, 2011 9:04 AM

Sorry Robert, 8.5 mill for you is a little high. Al cant pay everyone a fortune for mediocrity.

8. mick730 says: Mar 4, 2011 9:07 AM

The guy was supposed to be the next great left tackle in the NFL and instead, ends up as another dime a dozen guard, but still insists that he should be paid more than 8 million bucks per year.

Yea, right. It’s only the owners who are greedy.

9. canjura says: Mar 4, 2011 9:07 AM

Fans of other teams will definitely take away great memories: you making their DE look like a pro-bowler even though he was far from it. Sucks they moved your position. :(

10. swervinmervin says: Mar 4, 2011 9:08 AM

Good riddence.

This franchise’s demise started when they drafted a Guard out of Iowa with the 2nd pick in the draft.

The franchise has been in a tailspin ever since.

Before that draftpick the team had won the AFC West 3 out of the previous 4 seasons. After the draft pick the team set a league record for most losing seasons in a row.

Not saying its all his fault, but swinging and missing on the 2nd pick overall will kill a franchise. So will missing on the 1st pick overall which the Raiders ended up doing 4 years later with Russell.

11. Keyser Söze says: Mar 4, 2011 9:08 AM

Gallery is a class act and a team player. But to be honest, 4 of DMC’s 100+ yards games last season were behind the blocking of LG Danny Loper. He will land on his feet somewhere (probably Seattle). Too bad it didn’t work out.

12. semperfi24 says: Mar 4, 2011 9:09 AM

Agree with danimalk82, there is no such thing as asking for too much money in Oakland….

Although, with the loot they have been tossing around so far this off season, perhaps Gallery realized he is in a win/win situation. He asked Oakland to give him 4 times what they thought he was worth, knowing that 1 of 2 things was going to happen. 1) he was going to be allowed to walk away from that train wreck. 2) he could actually get the contract he was asking for. I dont see the down side……

13. Kaz says: Mar 4, 2011 9:10 AM

Well everyone has said what I was originally thinking. How do you price yourself out of Oakland?

14. FoozieGrooler says: Mar 4, 2011 9:18 AM

How can you “price yourself out of Oakland” with the money Al Davis throws around?

15. medialovesthecowboys says: Mar 4, 2011 9:24 AM

“must of been some hot chicks out there, his great memories had nothing to do with winning football games”
    ——————————————————

In the Bay Area? Oakland side? HIGHLY unlikely.

16. hedphurst says: Mar 4, 2011 9:30 AM

They think Wimbley is worth $11M, Routt is worth $10M, Seymour is worth $15M, but Gallery is only worth $2.5M, & Asomugha is expendable? I’m more discerning with the imaginary money in my Madden franchise than this team is with their real cash! What a joke. They’re bleeping up the curve (along with the Skins) for the rest of the league when it comes to player salaries.

17. dfensfelix says: Mar 4, 2011 9:31 AM

I’d love to see the Bears pick him up. I agree he’s underachieved since being drafted, but he’d be a step up from…..um…….uhhhhh…….whoever our left tackle is at the moment…

18. raiderredleg says: Mar 4, 2011 9:33 AM

@ Kaz…Simple answer on how you price yourself out of Oakland:

1) You fail as a LT after being picked in the 1st round a slot ahead of Larry Fritzgerald.

2) Even though you perform “well” at LG you get injured ALOT and the team doesn’t really do any worse with DANIEL LOPER (???) subbing for you.

3) You are 30 years old and the owner drafted you replacement last year (Bruce Campbell) as a steal in the 4th round.

Add in a “sprinkle” of you being a HUGE Tom Cable fan (who BTW also refused to activate/play the aforementioned Campbell) and you are hitting the street.

My feeling all along is that Davis wouldn’t commit to money to sign his BEST draft pick in a LONG time (Nnamdi) then I doubt he was going to give an injury prone 30 year old Offensive Line much.

Raiders have a TON of holes that are going to have to be filled and while giving Campbell a chance at the LG is indeed a risk, don’t other NFL teams have to do the same thing all the time?

Granted Al Davis is a strange cat and Herrera makes me sick everytime he opens his mouth, but that the Raiders.

19. stephenjspaulding says: Mar 4, 2011 9:34 AM

Gallery was just another great college player that turned out to be an average pro player…I wish him the best.

20. moochzilla says: Mar 4, 2011 9:36 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Ya mean that the NFLPA didn’t kidnap Al’s loved ones or put a gun to his head and MADE him sign Gallery to what the player wanted?

Ya mean to tell me that Al has a CHOICE in signing or not signing players?

Because, to hear the anti-union people, such a scenario was impossible. Al Davis seemingly lacked free will or the right to not pay a player.

Wow, go figure!

21. tdk24 says: Mar 4, 2011 9:41 AM

Al, please move this team out of this little market and back to L.A. now. Oh, this article is about Gallery? Cya Mr. False Start.

22. wryly1 says: Mar 4, 2011 9:41 AM

I can recall no OL who ever came into the draft with more hype than Gallery. He was supposed to be the LT of the century – but it turned out he not only couldn’t play the position at all, he was a mediocre (and sometimes 2nd string) Guard.

23. sllib12 says: Mar 4, 2011 9:54 AM

big AL needs the $ for his plastic surgery.

24. roscoepcoaltrain86 says: Mar 4, 2011 10:14 AM

I was happy when they drafted gallery. Because im a chiefs fan of course. But just to make things sting a lot more, I wanted to point out you could have had a true raider QB that year. Ben rothlisberger of course, if he hasn’t shown raider character then I don’t know who has.
    STAY HOT RAIDERS

25. nothimagain says: Mar 4, 2011 10:16 AM

Mason Verger has been throwing contracts around like a drunken monkey this off-season. I’m really surprised Gallery didn’t join the list of players the Raiders overpaid in resigning.

26. moochzilla says: Mar 4, 2011 10:29 AM

wryly,

He was up there, but Tony Mandarich takes 1st prize for hype.

27. huejackson says: Mar 4, 2011 10:31 AM

Well now that gallery is the enemy I hope he fails whever he goes.
    He is always injured anyways. Nobody is going to give this guy 8mill a year.
    Hes really going to be kicking himself when Raiders when the superbowl this season and hes on a 2-15 team.
    I wish the raiders would release Mario Hendersen though, He is the worst OL men I have ever seen in my whole ife watching football.
    Hopefully raiders can somehow keep Bush.

28. dukeofthedawgpound says: Mar 4, 2011 10:35 AM

Hmmm maybe Mr. Holmgren and Mr. Heckert should be looking into signing this guy. Perhaps he could play right guard or right tackle. Anything is better than John St.Clair or “Pork Chop” Womack.

29. islandjag says: Mar 4, 2011 10:43 AM

Prediction:

Cowboys pick him and its Leonard Davis 2

or

Redskins/Jets and overpay him

30. ejmat2 says: Mar 4, 2011 11:04 AM

roscoepcoaltrain86 says:
    Mar 4, 2011 10:14 AM
    STAY HOT RAIDERS
    ——————————–
    Forgive me if I’m wrong here but didn’t Gallery get drafted like 3 years prior to Big Ben?

31. jvibottomline says: Mar 4, 2011 11:05 AM

This guy really has SUCKED, one of the biggest draft bustsssssss EVER!

32. aldavisisthenfl says: Mar 4, 2011 11:40 AM

Al must have felt so great after finally taking a 350 lb. crap he went out dancing for the first time in 10 years.

He should have dumped that tatooed turd long ago……..

33. oaklegend says: Mar 4, 2011 11:47 AM

Joetoronto says, “Gallery was essentially gone when he backed Cable so profusely.”

I disagree. Evidently the team was offering Gallery a fair contract. $2.5 mill for a very good guard who is injury prone is a pretty decent offer. Looks like they made an effort to retain him, but he figured his $8 mill figure was a decent pay-cut from his rookie contract – so he overreached. That’s it.

34. freshnesssss says: Mar 4, 2011 11:54 AM

tdk24 says: Mar 4, 2011 9:41 AM

____________________________________

Uh, tdk, Tony Mandarich?

35. freshnesssss says: Mar 4, 2011 11:55 AM

wryly1 says: Mar 4, 2011 9:41 AM

——————————————-

sorry tdk, I meant wryly1.

36. marcsasharc says: Mar 4, 2011 12:28 PM

“once a raider, always a raider”

on a serious note, if the raiders offer was 2.5 mil per and he wanted 8 mil then they both should go slap themselves. he isnt worth 8 mil but id say 5-6 isnt out of the question. hes made himself a top tier guard in the NFL. and the Raiders are giving a nickel corner an insanely high contract, yet scoff at Gallery who is a far more productive player for them.

37. raiderredleg says: Mar 4, 2011 1:21 PM

@ marcsasharc:

Top tier Guard in the NFL????

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

5-6 million a year for a 30 year old injury prone OL?

ARE YOU SERIOUS (AGAIN)?

Sorry just can’t agree with you on either point. Routt’s contract is debatable, but with the Raiders losing Nnamdi his contract is at least plausable (high for sure, but at least he is a young, fast CB, not an injury prone 30 year old OL)

38. marcsasharc says: Mar 4, 2011 3:56 PM

yea, a top tier guard. you have any evidence to prove that opinion wrong or is “ARE YOU SERIOUS” all you got? he is a very good guard and a big reason why Oakland has had success running the football.

5-6 million is not crazy if you believe he is a very valuable guard. so if you disagree that hes top tier then obviously you wont think hes worth 5-6 mil. if you think hes worth 2.5 mil then you obviously dont think hes very good at all.

Routts contract is not debatable based on performance. Even if the Raiders lose Nnamdi, that doesnt justify overpaying for another player. that logic is absurd my friend. that is literally taking 1 step forward and 3 steps back. and at least Gallery is a proven veteran, injuries or not. Routt isnt effective when healthy so what exactly is your point? hes fast! oh ya, thats Al Davis talking…Routt is a nickel corner that hasnt played like a better nickel corner in the NFL yet he got paid number 1 corner $. you wanna criticize my opinion on Gallery yet you wanna say Routt’s contract is “debatable.” ha.

39. Grinds My Gear says: Mar 4, 2011 4:41 PM

“for the record, Routt gave up 5 tds over 15 yards this season(most in the NFL) and had the most defensive back penalty yardage given up this year…”

Well consider this too, he had 5 really questionable INTs called against him. He also had a few very questionable PI calls against him too that surrendered major yardage. I don’t want to talk about conspiracy so much, but I can remember a few games where they called a PI on Routt for absolutely nothing or being a little too physical. Heck they’ve called holding against Aso, for getting in the face of a WR within 5 yards on a 4th and 1 play.

40. raiderredleg says: Mar 4, 2011 5:23 PM

@ marcsasharc

1) Raiders were 6-6 in the 12 games Gallery started last season and 2-2 in games started by Daniel Loper, while Gallery was out with a hamstring injury SO I fail to understand how he is a quote “very good guard and a big reason why Oakland has had success running the football”.

2) Does ANYONE think the Raiders OL has been good since the Super Bowl? Yes the Raiders have been good running the ball AT TIMES, but the Raider OL has ALWAYS been a weakness of team since 2002 (reference Won-Loss total and pass protection…Or lack thereof). Gallery hasn’t even been to a Pro Bowl in his 20s and you want to give him $5-6 million a year at this stage of his career (30s)? Is he going to get “better with age” like a fine wine or all of a sudden become a All-Pro Left Tackle? I don’t think so…Maybe you think differently? FINE.

3) To me “very good” means top 10 in the NFL…I sure A LOT NFL fans can probably name 10 to 15 OTHER Left Guards they think are better than Gallery. Yes he is a “proven veteran”, but he isn’t going to get any better in his 30s than he was in 20′s.

4) NFL is a young man’s game and if the organization thinks Bruce Campbell (already on the roster and available) is ready then paying $5-6 million a year for a “proven veteran” is just plain foolish (IMO)

5) As far as Routt…Can’t argue with you AT ALL until next year when he leads a Raider secondary coached by Kevin Ross/Rod Woodson that is WITHOUT Nnamdi and possible Huff. Davis believes in him and wanted to lock him up.

Of course all that said my biggest “error” is responding to you in the first place. Once you came out with your first post I should have just said to myself “here we go again with marcsasharc logic” (which in this case was THIN at best) and let it go with that.

Have a great weekend!

41. marcsasharc says: Mar 4, 2011 7:02 PM

in that entirely way too long response of yours the only solid argument you gave was their record with and without Gallery which didnt prove your opinion right or mine wrong. the rest of it was just biased opinion with a little unbiased opinion.

im not saying not re-signing Gallery is terrible, but this Raiders off season has been head scratching to say the least. they seem reluctant to pay the proven vets yet they want to overpay guys based on potential or faith or pay a guy who is coming off a decent season. and the oldest proven vet they have, they overpay him. do you see the pattern here? there is no pattern.

you say my logic is thin, but what is yours? you cant even name 10 better LG’s, can you name 10 at all? google it.

if letting go of Gallery means re-signing Asomugha then i whole heartedly agree they should make that move. but if they keep Henderson, Seymour, Routt and Wimbley at the expense of Asomugha and Gallery, then that is amazing. funny thing is, they could keep Asomugha without Routts contract and without re-signing Gallery. you cant tell me that wouldnt absolutely piss you off as a Raider fan.

and quit with the team based accomplishments argument. wins and losses are not on 1 guy, especially if its not a QB. Asomugha been the best CB in the NFL for years and his team has sucked. same with many other players in their careers. an pro bowls? which has a lot to do with popularity and favors the players of winning teams.that argument is not only moot, its as old as they get. simple, basic logic.

42. rayguyreturns says: Mar 4, 2011 7:49 PM

This is way over analyzed. 8 mil for a good, but often injured Guard is too much even by Al’s rediculous standards. Gallery priced himself out of Oakland because Cable left. He never had intentions of staying. Conversely, Al knows he has Loper and a lot of potential in Bruce Campell to play one of the least skilled positions on the field.

Neither side was that serious about what the other had to offer.

43. raiderapologist says: Mar 4, 2011 10:11 PM

roscoepcoaltrain86 says: Mar 4, 2011 10:14 AM

——–

That is a lame comment. Roethlisberger was drafted by-and plays for-the Steelers, but you say he shows “Raider” character? He shows his character. If you’re looking for a Raider connection, view “Oakland DT slaps white-trash Steeler QB on his ass for no apparent reason, and everyone shrugs.” It’s also doubtful you knew Gallery was going to fail as an NFL tackle. It’s easy to say it now, but nobody was saying it back then. And the Chiefs had a terrible draft that year. They picked that upstanding citizen Larry Johnson in ’03, but they traded out in ’04, and ended up with guys like Junior Siavii and Samie Parker.