Brandon Jackson was tendered a contract too

Brandon Jackson

Earlier this morning, we passed along news that Packers wide receiver James Jones was tendered a one-year contract as a potential restricted free agent, despite a previous report the contrary.

A league source informs PFT that Packers running back Brandon Jackson was also given a RFA tag, despite a report to the contrary.  (Yes, it was the same report as Jones.)   Jackson’s tender was at the third-round level of compensation.

The tag on Jackson protects the Packers just in case players with four years of experience are not unrestricted free agents after a new CBA is reach.  That scenario is viewed as unlikely.

A return to Green Bay for Jackson would not be a surprise, no matter what his status is.  He may have more value to the Packers as a third-down specialist than he has anywhere else.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
12 Responses to “Brandon Jackson was tendered a contract too”
  1. JimmySmith says: Mar 7, 2011 10:56 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You might have overlooked the hapless Vikings. They lost Chester Taylor and soon discovered they had nobody to fill that role. Combine that with their love for ex-Packers and I could easily see them trying to sign him. The only factor working against the Vikings is that they prefer washed up players on the steep down slope of their careers.

2. mvp43 says: Mar 7, 2011 10:57 AM

Championship teams need guys that do the “small things”…..

Jackson is a good receiver out of the backfield and an above average blocker who picks up the blitz very well.

3. goawayeverybody says: Mar 7, 2011 10:58 AM

So where does all this leave Ryan Grant?

4. p4ck3r5 says: Mar 7, 2011 11:13 AM

ryan grant is stayn although i wished we had a beast of a running back. someone who can juke the freak out of people. green bay never had a gifted rb

5. footballchief says: Mar 7, 2011 11:16 AM

I hope Brandon Jackson does not return, partly because I trust TT could find a cheaper replacement. Mostly because I feel I can’t see much value beyond his blocking abilities.

Having a RB with vision that threatens to gain more than 3 yards when he has the ball I feel, would provide better value to that offense than what BJ has shown in his four years with the Packers.

He is a good blocker and has been a good “team” player I will give him that. When the guy has the ball in his hand he has shown himself to be a below average HB. No real spacial awareness to speak of, runs into the pile, misses cutback lanes, and he gets tripped up way too easily.

I would to see TT find a player that could be more of a home run guy, a guy that once he got through the hole he could turn it on… I’m not sure what his 40 time was/is but BJack was never that, in fact he plays pretty slow, he isn’t more than a sawed-off FB. The Packers already dress three a game anyway, make that four with BrandJa on the team.

6. goombar2 says: Mar 7, 2011 11:20 AM

My favorite Brandon Jackson moment will always be him juking Urlacher out of his jock for a first down in the NFCCG.

I was surprised initially when Jackson didn’t get a tender, so this makes more sense to me. Hope he comes back though. He ain’t much on 1st and 2nd downs, but on third downs the guy is golden.

Otherwise it seems Jimmy beat me to the punch… Maybe some interest from Seattle? John Schneider is up there and he knows Jackson pretty well…

7. brent6699 says: Mar 7, 2011 11:30 AM

@goawayeverybody, Grant will be the starter next year I’m sure. As far as them offering James Jones a tender, I think the same will happen as Javon Walker, thought he’d be an allpro elsewhere and just turned into a nobody. I think this Offense will make Brett Swain look good next year too.

8. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Mar 7, 2011 11:52 AM

mvp43 says:
    Mar 7, 2011 10:57 AM
    Championship teams need guys that do the “small things”…..

————————

Speaking of “small things,” it’s nice to hear from jimmysmith and goombar2 again.

9. jimmysee says: Mar 7, 2011 12:23 PM

Brandon is a great 3rd down back who reached his “Peter Principal” moment when he was asked to do more.

Great blocker; great picking up the blitz; great receiver out of the backfield.

Only OK running with the ball. (But he does break one from time to time.)

Hope he does come back to Green Bay.

10. nineleveninsidejob says: Mar 7, 2011 2:07 PM

Every real Packer fan would like him back. Great pass protector, good with screens, etc. etc. (Grant, Starks and Jackson would be great)

11. huskerguy says: Mar 8, 2011 9:24 AM

mvp43 says:
    Mar 7, 2011 10:57 AM
    Championship teams need guys that do the “small things”…..

————————————————–

Also speaking of small things… did you see the Favre float in New Orleans? :)

12. brewdogg says: Mar 8, 2011 11:15 PM

JimmySmith says:
    Mar 7, 2011 10:56 AM
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

———————————————–

Then I guess I’ll be seeing Tauscher, Clifton, Driver, and Harris in purple next year, and Woodson in 2012, right little jimmy?