PFT Heroes 2010: Cast your vote for the top wide receiver

Green Bay Packers v Detroit Lions Getty Images

The PFT Heroes awards for the 2010 season move to the last three positions:  receiver, running back, and quarterback.

First up?  The wideouts.

The finalists, as determined by PFT staff, are Packers receiver Greg Jennings, Falcons receiver Roddy White, Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe, Lions receiver Calvin Johnson, Steelers receiver Mike Wallace, and Broncos receiver Brandon Lloyd.

Cast your vote.  We’ll declare a winner on Tuesday.  Approximately.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
50 Responses to “PFT Heroes 2010: Cast your vote for the top wide receiver”
  1. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Mar 7, 2011 10:24 PM

you’ll never guess who I think got snubbed out of this poll…

Put up top 10 numbers with a high ankle sprain all year..

2. bdnnbd says: Mar 7, 2011 10:25 PM

dwayne bowe and megatron over Andre…who chose these again?

3. 1bigtex says: Mar 7, 2011 10:32 PM

So Brandon Lloyd spends 7 years being basically a waste of a roster spot and one of Little Danny’s mistakes and after one very good year there are some who think he’s the best WR in the NFL? Really??? What are the chances that any of those voting for Lloyd are also fans of Chicago or Washington or San Fran? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

4. coombsy12 says: Mar 7, 2011 10:36 PM

so because Greg Jennings is on a super bowl winning team, that makes him the best WR this year? same with all the other polls done by PFT??

5. canadianvikingfaniii says: Mar 7, 2011 10:41 PM

What else is new? Andre Johnson never gets any love.

6. cappa662 says: Mar 7, 2011 10:42 PM

Roddy White and Calvin Johnson by far had the best year in FF.

I can’t believe Greg Jennings is winning.

1. Roddy White
    2. Calvin Johnson
    3. Dwayne Bowe

7. moneymike23 says: Mar 7, 2011 10:44 PM

Interesting, thought White would get it.

8. nekelund says: Mar 7, 2011 10:46 PM

Huge Green Bay fan and love what Jennings did in the play-offs, but he’s part of a team of high-quality receivers with an upper echelon QB. The guy who carried his team on his back and put up outstanding numbers has to be Roddy White.

9. jimfix says: Mar 7, 2011 10:49 PM

seriously? no love for reggie wayne? dude was #2 in receptions and #3 in yards!

10. raynman49 says: Mar 7, 2011 10:53 PM

What about Andre Johnson? He, Larry Fitzgerald, and Calvin Johnson are the best three in the NFL!

11. possiblecabbage says: Mar 7, 2011 10:53 PM

Only one of these players put the team on his back.

12. brandonyer says: Mar 7, 2011 10:58 PM

Thank you for not including Desean Jackson and his 47 catches. Unfortunately the fans think those are Pro Bowl WR stats.

13. johny248 says: Mar 7, 2011 11:03 PM

This is a pretty weak list of WRs… Really? Calvin Johnson? I guess that you are not from Detroit or get to watch Lions games, because he is somewhat of a disappointment. Although he is not surrounded by a Super Bowl Team, he drops a lot of balls, and really has only looked great here and there….

14. seanje says: Mar 7, 2011 11:09 PM

Well only one of these WRs put up monster numbers without his starting QB, for all but two and a half games this year. Calvin. “Megatron”. Johnson.

15. Deb says: Mar 7, 2011 11:12 PM

Wake up, Steelers fans! Here’s another of these polls and Mike Wallace deserves a lot more love than he’s gotten so far.

16. jebdamone says: Mar 7, 2011 11:12 PM

this list is a sham without andre johnson.

17. thefiesty1 says: Mar 7, 2011 11:22 PM

There are a number of better receivers than this list. I’ll refrain from voting on any of these guys.

18. sowcrates says: Mar 7, 2011 11:23 PM

Can you say “Shaun Hill”?

More importantly, can you say “Drew Stanton”?

You know where my vote went.

19. nineleveninsidejob says: Mar 7, 2011 11:34 PM

GREG JENNINGS PUT THE TEAM ON HIS BACK!!

20. p4ck3r5 says: Mar 7, 2011 11:36 PM

desean jackson shoulda took someones place

21. ronrivers says: Mar 7, 2011 11:37 PM

I’d put Calvin at top because… well, I’m a completely biased Lions fan… but also because he spent the whole year catching balls from 2nd and 3rd string QBs. He also played with FIVE quarterbacks in 2008 when he was a pro bowl alternate. Many of the other contenders here have solid QB situations.

I don’t know how you can exclude Andre Johnson either.

22. jimmygrahamchrisivory says: Mar 7, 2011 11:37 PM

Marques Colston.

He’s finished top 5 in WR categories since he entered the league in ’06, including a 97-1,200-11 season in ’07, and never gets any love.

23. ipeefreelyagain says: Mar 7, 2011 11:37 PM

1. Miles Austin
    2. Andre Johnson
    3. Calvin Johnson

Next year, breakout season for Dez Bryant. You heard it here first.

24. forevercorr says: Mar 7, 2011 11:42 PM

I have no idea how Wallace made the list. I think someone misspelled “Andre Johnson” really badly.
    Dwayne Bowe was shut down in at least one game this year (granted, against Champ Bailey), and in this group, one is too many.
    Jennings was very good, but also didn’t carry the weight of the remaining three.
    Lloyd did everything he could to help his team, but his numbers are inflated by a pass-dependent offense (and I’m a Bronco fan)
    This leaves Roddy White and Calvin Johnson, who I think played on par with oneanother and carried the same importance for their teams. But Johnson did it with three different QBs, including an inexperienced kid and John Kitna. Vote Megatron.

25. terrellblowens says: Mar 7, 2011 11:43 PM

brandonyer, he also led the league in YPC. That’s Pro Bowl worthy, although, to be honest, I don’t even know what’s Pro Bowl worthy anymore after watching David Garrard play in it last year

26. terrellblowens says: Mar 7, 2011 11:47 PM

Dwayneboe Also, I find it hard to pick between Andre (write in candidate hehe) and Calvin Johnson, and Roddy White. White and Bowe were monsters this year, but Calvin put up big numbers despite playing with 2 bad QBs after his starter got hurt all the time. And Andre played big through a high ankle sprain. I gotta give that some love. So hard to choose

27. jimmygrahamchrisivory says: Mar 7, 2011 11:49 PM

Besides the injury plagued ’08 season, Colston’s been snubbed from the Pro Bowl every year. Compare his stats to each WR that made it for the NFC each year and it makes fan voting look like more of a joke than it really is.

28. iced107 says: Mar 8, 2011 12:18 AM

How is this not Brandon Lloyd’s award?

29. iced107 says: Mar 8, 2011 12:21 AM

How is this not Brandon Lloyd’s award?

I mean sheesh.. This seems like a no brainer really…one of the few bright spots on a terrible team.

He led the NFL in Receiving yards and was 4th in TD’s, leading the league avg with 90 yards a game. Obviously he was a threat dam near every game.

30. assnfootball says: Mar 8, 2011 1:17 AM

Andre Johnson beating up on Finnegan automatically adds 100 catches and 999 yards to his season total.

Andre Johnson gets my vote.

31. mataug says: Mar 8, 2011 1:29 AM

Anybody else who doesn’t have Andre Johnson as an option in this poll ?

32. rebeltitan says: Mar 8, 2011 1:31 AM

Just because a player played in the Superbowl doesn’t mean he is the best. Not to take anything away from Greg Jennings because he is an excellent receiver but come on people … Johnson and Bowe are way better they just play on bad teams.

I bet a Million dollars Aaron Rodgers win best QB because he was in the Superbowl. Funny how quickly people forget about the regular season.

33. broncostebow15 says: Mar 8, 2011 1:33 AM

I’m just glad to see Brandon Marshall didn’t come close to making the list.

34. cengelman93 says: Mar 8, 2011 2:07 AM

If I was building a team – L. Fitzgerald would be the first wideout I would take. Just a class act on and off the field.

For 2010 though, R. White made play after play as he led the falcons to the top seed in the playoffs.
    (He even saved a game against SF with his forced fumble against N. Clements).

35. canjura says: Mar 8, 2011 2:17 AM

Personally, I voted Roddy White, but Brandon Lloyd SHOULD win. Brandon Lloyd averaged 18.7 ypc, led the league in yards, and had 11 touchdowns. Roddy White did have 115 receptions, 2nd in yardage, and had 10 TD’s though.

I can definitely understand Dwayne Bowe with his 15 TD receptions, I can see Greg Jennings since he was top 5 in yardage (and most importantly won a SB), Mike Wallace and Calvin Johnson getting to ability to win it over Andre Johnson I don’t get though. Wallace had 26 less receptions than Andre and only 50 yards and 2 touchdowns more when Andre missed 3 games and put up very similar numbers. Calvin had less yards and less catches too.

with all that said, why don’t my Rams get any love with our amazing receiving core that we had last season? /end sarcasm :)

36. krow101 says: Mar 8, 2011 6:12 AM

None of these losers.

37. EJ says: Mar 8, 2011 7:15 AM

What about Stevie Johnson from Buffalo?

He went from back-up to #1 reciever in one season!

Do the small market teams get considered?

38. techstar25 says: Mar 8, 2011 8:05 AM

you’ll never guess who I think got snubbed out of this poll…
    The only rookie WR who was in the top 20 in all receiving statistics.

39. cwt123 says: Mar 8, 2011 8:17 AM

Why all the hate? All receivers on the list did have a good years. That being said, Andre Johnson should have AT LEAST been on the list.

Still, my vote is for Megatron. Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton throwing to him with practically no running game or other receivers to take off the double teams. AND HE STILL PUTS UP:
    77 rec. 1,120 yards. Avg. 14.5 and 12 TDS!

40. zn0rseman says: Mar 8, 2011 8:18 AM

What?!? According to PFT is every Packers player the single best at their position now ???

1: Calvin Johnson
    2: Andre Johnson
    3: Larry Fitzgerald
    4: Reggie Wayne
    5: MAYBE Greg Jennings

41. calloustongue says: Mar 8, 2011 8:26 AM

Jennings had a better 2nd half to the season, where the games actually count, than anyone else in the league. His numbers would have been even higher, but the Pack were gameplanning to get the ball to Finely early in the season.

Jennings is also the smallest of any of the candidates.

He constantly faced double teams, and had some epic playoff performances. Jordy Nelson had 140 yards in the Super Bowl b/c the Steelers were doubling Jennings, and Greg still managed to catch 2 TD’s.

Far more than just a WR on a Super Bowl winning team. He was dominant, and didn’t need to be 6’4″ to do it.

People can hate on the champs all they want, but only an idiot would think Jennings shouldn’t be in the running for top WR.

Best route runner, and YAC out of the whole group.

42. forevercorr says: Mar 8, 2011 9:16 AM

Sorry! I was thinking Hill and Stanton and I wrote Kitna. Old habits die hard, I guess. Still, even MORE reason to vote Megatron.

43. hodag54501 says: Mar 8, 2011 9:41 AM

Jennings doubters:
    The Packers had an anemic running game this year. They won the Super Bowl. They had to rely on their passing game. Jennings was their top receiver.
    So you elect some fantasy football leader, but isn’t the goal to win the Super Bowl? Jennings deserves to be among the elite, and without him the Packers wouldn’t have made the Super Bowl.
    As a reminder: fantasy football isn’t reality football. Numbers are only a part of the whole picture.

44. Mike Tomlin says: Mar 8, 2011 9:54 AM

Really Greg Jennings? This is ridiculas who is your audience here the readers of the green bay press gazette?

45. Deb says: Mar 8, 2011 11:30 AM

All those thumbs down on my first post confirm my suspicion that the Steelers faithful have left the PFT building. No way Wallace would have the fewest votes if our usual rabid fan base was intact.

46. rockinron2 says: Mar 8, 2011 12:59 PM

@Deb It shouldn’t be a poll on who is your favorite team, but who had the best year at WR. Wallace had a very good year, but he wasn’t the best, Steelers fan or not.

@cwt123 Calvin is a beast. It didn’t matter who the QB was, they could just throw it up to him and even if he was double teamed he would usually come down with it. But I am still bothered by him not knowing the rules on the TD catch called incomplete against the Bears. Players getting paid millions should at least know the rules for their position. Even if you give him a pass for when it first happened, he had an interview a week later and still had no idea why the officials ruled it incomplete. Somebody on Detroit has to show him the rulebook and tell him to hold on to the ball to take the officials out of the call.

In the end I give the slight edge to Roddy, as he is the more complete WR. But wouldn’t argue with either Roddy or Calvin getting it.

47. Deb says: Mar 8, 2011 3:15 PM

@rockiniron2 …

Do you think Packer fans are voting based on who’s the best receiver? They’re voting for Jennings because he’s a Packer. And traditionally, Steelers fans vote for Steelers.

Now when it comes to the Pro Bowl, I do sit down with stats sheets and vote for guys I genuinely believe have earned the spot. But on a PFT award? If a Steeler is nominated, I’m voting for the Steeler. Otherwise, I’d probably vote for White.

48. dukemarc says: Mar 9, 2011 2:02 PM

Greg Jennings stats including playoffs, 97 REC, 1568 YDS, 14 TDs and a RING….that’s why he’s in the conversation for for best WR this season.

49. sowcrates says: Mar 9, 2011 2:24 PM

So because Greg Jennings had 4 total playoff games to accumulate 21 catches, 302 yards and 2 touchdowns, he ought to be on the list ahead of Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Roddy White and Hakeem Nicks (the 4 guys I’d vote ahead of Jennings)?

Don’t get me wrong, when all is said and done I think Jennings belongs on the list of 6 finalists. I personally would have him at #5 and I wouldn’t mean that placement as any insult at all. I just fail to see why his superbowl ring or playoff production should make the difference. His production didn’t decline in post-season play, but it didn’t erupt either, 75 yards/game was his full season average.

To suggest that Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, and Hakeem Nicks don’t have a ring because they didn’t play as well as Greg Jennings in 2010 can’t be believed. What exactly have the two Johnsons personally done wrong so far in their 12 combined seasons to not have won a superbowl. Much less even PLAY in a postseason game. Mike Williams was gone 3 years, came back and now has more playoff wins than either of these two COMBINED.

Jennings is a terrific receiver, but I don’t think he’d have managed to be productive and help his team as much if placed within the same diversity as Andre Johnson (nagging injury, 13 games 1200 yards, 8 tds) or Calvin Johnson (QB carousel, 15 games, 1100 yards 12 tds) in 2010.

50. dewalt2990 says: Mar 13, 2011 9:36 AM

“top wide receiver” If that meant stats/production, theres a couple names missing. So it must mean most talented/most upside/biggest freak….Calvin Johnson hands down in those categories.