Kareem Jackson shares cockfighting pics with his Twitter audience

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Kareem Jackson

Twitter and other social media applications provide fans and the media with unfiltered access to the minds and the lifestyles of plenty of pro athletes.

And, of course, that’s often not a good thing.

During a vacation in the Dominican Republic, Texans cornerback Kareem Jackson attended cockfights — and he posted about the experience on Twitter.

“My first time ever seeing chicken fight till the death it was crazy,” Jackson said, per John P. Lopez of CBS Houston.  (Jackson apparently has deleted that specific tweet.)

“Look at all these people that be at these chicken fights, you would think its a college football game,” Jackson added. (He hasn’t deleted that one.)

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Texans have no comment on the situation involving Jackson, the team’s first-round pick in 2010.

As McClain points out, cockfighting is legal in the Dominican Republic.  Still, as Lopez points out, the decision to post pictures and comments about attending a cockfight may not have been the smartest move Jackson ever made.

It also may not have been the dumbest, but it definitely wasn’t the smartest.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Kareem Jackson shares cockfighting pics with his Twitter audience”
  1. ctiggs says: Mar 8, 2011 1:32 PM

I love this but im sure you chicken eaters will have something bad to say about this kid.

2. donterrelli says: Mar 8, 2011 1:37 PM

Don’t know why it even matters since it’s legal there.

3. midniterambler7 says: Mar 8, 2011 1:38 PM

TAA….MAL….E!!!!

4. flyerscup2010 says: Mar 8, 2011 1:38 PM

He’s fine. The double standard in play here is that only PETA cares about chickens; everyone else cares about dogs, so nobody is going to care about this.

5. waitingguilty says: Mar 8, 2011 1:39 PM

I heard he placed a bet on “Little Jerry Seinfeld”.

6. arzcardinals says: Mar 8, 2011 1:42 PM

Bull Fighting isn’t legal here…but many go when they’re in Spain.

It’s LEGAL there…get over it…

that’s one reason people travel…to see the customs of other countries.

7. mr92687 says: Mar 8, 2011 1:45 PM

No, I think it is the dumbest crap Ive ever seen a pro athlete tweet. Future Bust, Current Idiot.

8. tresmang says: Mar 8, 2011 1:48 PM

next stop up on the Mike Vick tour…..the dog kennels and then prison…enjoy your life Kareem Jack@ss!

9. jeffpeabody says: Mar 8, 2011 1:49 PM

Shame that something like this has now become a “newsworthy” topic these days.

10. jpmelon says: Mar 8, 2011 1:51 PM

Bullfighting is horrible too, but I personally attended a bullfight in Mexico because it was a cultural experience that is not availale in the US. This is one of the greatest benefits of traveling. Experiencing new things.

I hope this doesn’t become a sensational media story. The more I think about it, the more I realize that this guy did absolutely nothing wrong.

11. alistair88 says: Mar 8, 2011 1:52 PM

in other news NFL player does something completely legal but some people might not like it

12. 23chameleons says: Mar 8, 2011 1:53 PM

He spent his entire youth trying to get to the NFL, got to be a 1st round draft pick then proceeded to play a vital role in one of the worst secondaries ever.

Now, after what everyone went thru with Michael Vick, he posts pics and tweets about pitting animals against each other to the death ?

It’s unfortunate that what he’s proven so far to his employers and Texan’s fans is that he isn’t very good and he isn’t very bright. And if there’s a prolonged layoff, he’ll be even less likely to make that 2nd year jump in production.

Dear Rick Smith, next time, don’t think you’re smarter than the rest of the league. Please take the highest rated player at a position of need (in this case, Kyle Wilson).

13. hobartbaker says: Mar 8, 2011 1:53 PM

It’s horrible, one minute those poor chickens are looking up at you with their soft brown eyes and wagging their tails, the next they are fighting to the death.

14. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Mar 8, 2011 1:54 PM

Kareem.. Really man?? I guess it’s not that bad when you consider the cruel life most chickens live.. If you have yet to see a video about super farming chicken’s its pretty disgusting.. Talk about having a steroid problem, congress should attack that situation if it ever gets over the MLB.. Guess if I was a chicken i’d rather go out in a flock of glory than to be pumped full of growth hormones and eaten..

15. benh999 says: Mar 8, 2011 1:54 PM

So what? Anyone who has a problem with this and eats chicken is a hypocrite.

16. closisgood says: Mar 8, 2011 1:57 PM

He can’t get in trouble for anything so who cares? Also, no one has chickens as pets in this or any other country.

We take their eggs, their feathers, their meat, so why not get some entertainment out of them.

Its not like Korea where they have dog season. I wonder what breed of dog those crazy asians prefer. Crazy

17. pickyourking says: Mar 8, 2011 2:01 PM

1. It’s legal there

2. 90% of Americans EAT chickens.

3. 50-60% of those chickens are live in such horrible, cramped conditions that they either peck/scratch each other to death or almost always have they’re beaks clipped off, drugged, and crammed so tightly in cages so they can’t fight.

So essentially, most of us Americans support the torment pain death etc of chickens

This is a non-issue. PFT didn’t crucify the kid, but give him a break and don’t post about dude that may be seen in a negative light.

18. hobartbaker says: Mar 8, 2011 2:02 PM

Fortunately the chickens who become too old or damaged to fight are quickly adopted by the local homeless crowd.

19. goawayeverybody says: Mar 8, 2011 2:02 PM

The Texans just plain suck.

20. imongo says: Mar 8, 2011 2:05 PM

I had a pet chicken named Weeps…A Bantam rooster that would kick my dogs behind. Took about 8 hours in the crock pot to cook too.

21. hobartbaker says: Mar 8, 2011 2:05 PM

Oprah has no plans to have Kareem on the show. Her producers are concerned about all the people in the audience with their pet chickens. It could be a distraction.

22. waitingguilty says: Mar 8, 2011 2:06 PM

mr92687 says: Mar 8, 2011 1:45 PM

______________________________________

I take it you don’t follow Larry Johnson?

23. bengalsown says: Mar 8, 2011 2:06 PM

So someone performing a legal activity gets put on your turd list now?

24. supashug says: Mar 8, 2011 2:09 PM

so what, I wish he had sent a full video.

Honestly its so much better when we feed our US chickens steroids and humanely force feed them and then cut their freakin heads off!!!!!

then we deep fry them and joke about the cow that begs us to eat more chiken

non story, we are idiots

25. pftard says: Mar 8, 2011 2:10 PM

Big deal.., he attended a cultural event in a foriegn country. To try to lay blame that he’s done something wrong is stupididly ridiculous

26. hobartbaker says: Mar 8, 2011 2:11 PM

Participants sometimes get so worked up they choke their chickens in front of the entire audience.

27. halasfan says: Mar 8, 2011 2:11 PM

I am not sure what the big deal is. Is did mention it was crazy. I doubt he is going to come back and have his cousin set up a illegal gambling ring with his cousin in Virginia or anything.

Just hope if he goes to see the donkey show in Mexico he doesn’t twitter that…..

28. hobartbaker says: Mar 8, 2011 2:12 PM

Kareem met Pablo, owner of the largest Red Crested Cokc in all of Santo Domingo.

29. frankvzappa says: Mar 8, 2011 2:13 PM

they should strap razor blades to the receivers he is covering next year

30. cav2ya says: Mar 8, 2011 2:13 PM

So patronizing an event that we deem is not right, but ok in other countries, is OK with most of you… is that right?

Damn hypocrites.

31. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Mar 8, 2011 2:15 PM

I think he should be electrocuted.

32. waitingguilty says: Mar 8, 2011 2:16 PM

midniterambler7 says: Mar 8, 2011 1:38 PM

TAA….MAL….E!!!!
    ______________________________________

How could anyone go thumbs down on this comment?

It may be the best subtle reference to George Costanza ever posted on PFT.

Well done Sir.

33. meso0rnery says: Mar 8, 2011 2:20 PM

What’s the big deal? Didn’t Brett Favre share pictures of this with Jen Sterger…

34. chapnastier says: Mar 8, 2011 2:28 PM

Do they eat the chickens?

35. ubummer says: Mar 8, 2011 2:34 PM

At least it’s not kitten juggling.

36. lunarpie says: Mar 8, 2011 2:35 PM

Just like in a murder case, if you were there you are just as guilty. SUSPEND and FINE Jackson!

V/S,
    Raiders Fan

37. wise3030 says: Mar 8, 2011 2:37 PM

Little Jerry Seinfeld huh.

Does he write bad checks too?!

38. 3octaveFart says: Mar 8, 2011 2:43 PM

hobartbaker – for the love of God and all that is holy, please STFU.

39. pkrjones says: Mar 8, 2011 2:44 PM

Navin Johnson – Cat Juggling – nuff said.

40. mezanine10 says: Mar 8, 2011 2:47 PM

Did Kareem Jackson fall down while he tweeted this?

41. tastethejace says: Mar 8, 2011 2:52 PM

Took until the 4th post for the Seinfeld reference. you guys are slipping.

42. hotpappyjohnson says: Mar 8, 2011 2:53 PM

kordell stewart was swordfighting with a man in an alleyway years back.how come he never got in trouble?

43. acmepacker says: Mar 8, 2011 3:03 PM

benh999 says:
    Mar 8, 2011 1:54 PM
    So what? Anyone who has a problem with this and eats chicken is a hypocrite.

=====
    You are so right! Whenever I eat chicken, I keep slashing it with a razor until I hit a vital spot or it bleeds to death. Good times.

44. tcdeg says: Mar 8, 2011 3:24 PM

“frankvzappa says:
    Mar 8, 2011 2:13 PM
    they should strap razor blades to the receivers he is covering next year”

What would be the point? You’ve obviously not seen any Texans games if you think he can “cover” any receivers…

45. belichickee says: Mar 8, 2011 3:30 PM

Yeah, I enjoy a good chicken sandwich, doesn’t mean I’m going to derive an ounce of pleasure from watching chickens “Fight to the death.” How anyone can take pleasure out of seeing animals pitted against one another is completely beyond my comprehension.

46. alltimeballa says: Mar 8, 2011 3:34 PM

47. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Mar 8, 2011 3:41 PM

I thought they wore gloves and helmets. You know, like “American Gladiators.”

48. phinfan says: Mar 8, 2011 3:52 PM

I’ll take a wing.

49. shaggytoodle says: Mar 8, 2011 4:16 PM

Was Favre on that evenings card?

50. NoHomeTeam says: Mar 8, 2011 4:17 PM

alltimeballa says: “I’m beginning to feel as though my IQ is going down every time I read these types of stories. There is nothing to see here people! I guess soon it will be a crime to take our kids to the Circus. COME ON MAN!!”

I wouldn’t advertise that too much, alltimeballa, particularly when you follow it with a comment about taking your kids to the circus. Do a little reading about the abusive treatment that is unfortunately all-too-common among traveling circuses — particularly the smaller ones.

51. bengalsown says: Mar 8, 2011 4:42 PM

hobartbaker says: Mar 8, 2011 2:11 PM

______________________________

Funniest thing I’ve read all day.

52. tombradysponytail says: Mar 8, 2011 4:58 PM

Sure, everybody jumps on Kareem for sharing his pics, but whwere were all of you when Jeremy Green was sharing his pics from his recent trip to Thailand…

53. dkhhuey says: Mar 8, 2011 5:12 PM

Stupid – yes, disgusting – yes, illegal in the DR – no. I find myself thoroughly amazed at how utterly ignorant this guy is to suppose that nothing would come of posting something like this in a public social media forum. Having said that, if it weren’t for the grossly stupid, we’d have nothing to laugh about!!!

54. ronrivers says: Mar 8, 2011 6:59 PM

I don’t understand how a person can adjust their ethics based on the legality/custom of a different country. For example, I imagine most would agree that paying to have sex with a minor is unethical and those ethics would not transform based on the legality or custom of it practiced in a foreign country.

You either believe watching animals maul each other in the name of sport is cruel or you don’t, right? It seems pretty clear cut to me.

55. jsratx says: Mar 10, 2011 2:36 PM

My six year old speaks better than that.

He can probably cover a WR better, too.