Ronde “reignited the fire” for Tiki

51613_ronde-tiki-barber AP

So why is running back Tiki Barber returning to the NFL?

“After seeing my brother [Ronde Barber] still have fun at our age, it reignited the fire. I’m really looking forward to the challenge of seeing if I can get back to the level  of where I was,” Barber told Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com.  “I started working out again recently.  It kind of shocked myself.  I still had a lot of the strength I had before.  I’m really looking forward to making a return.”

Many will assume that Barber’s financial obligations — and lack of network TV money — has fueled his desire to squeeze the last few drops of physical ability out of his muscles, bones, and connective tissues.  If things go well, it could also provide him with an off-field bump, paving the way for an appearance on Dancing with the Stars and generally positioning him for #winning.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Ronde “reignited the fire” for Tiki”
  1. rpiotr01 says: Mar 8, 2011 3:13 PM

Never mind the fire, something tells me this guy is going to be lucky to spend the 2011 season splitting carries with Ahman Green in the UFL.

2. universalcynic says: Mar 8, 2011 3:14 PM

“And by reignite the fire” I mean “he failed to loan me any money.” -Tiki

3. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Mar 8, 2011 3:15 PM

I’d rather have Floyd the Barber at running back.

4. waitingguilty says: Mar 8, 2011 3:17 PM

Boy, you said a couple posts ago that you were happy to have some non lock out talk to “report” on.

That was the understatement of the year.

5. cappa662 says: Mar 8, 2011 3:18 PM

LOL… after looking at your bank account, and seeing your ex-wife pillage it (child support, alimony and etc), you realized you needed to go back to football.

Divorce and child support could lead you to financial ruins.

6. phinheads says: Mar 8, 2011 3:19 PM

no, tiki is poor

7. otistaylor89 says: Mar 8, 2011 3:22 PM

“Tiki also reportedly received a positive note of encouragement from actor Charlie Sheen, who told him he could come back, signaling it in just one word”.

“Winning”

8. lifetimeskinsfan739 says: Mar 8, 2011 3:23 PM

You cant fake heart, and it was obvious he didnt have any when he left football early and turned to an amazing tv career. This will not go well.

9. NFLJunkie says: Mar 8, 2011 3:23 PM

“It kind of shocked myself”? Is that verbatim? It’s a stunner that the broadcasting career kind of sputtered, isn’t it?

10. 4evrnyt says: Mar 8, 2011 3:26 PM

Translation: My twin is showing me up by still competing in the same league I retired from. He’s still making money and is popular and in the lime lite while most people have already totally forgotten about me and my ego cant handle it.

11. hobartbaker says: Mar 8, 2011 3:27 PM

Tiki was housesitting and got into Ronde’s HGH stash. Lit a fire under his ass.

12. cardiovascularendurance says: Mar 8, 2011 3:27 PM

Plus, he realized he sucked at TV.

13. benh999 says: Mar 8, 2011 3:31 PM

I just hope playing again will shut him up. Very few players have gone on to make such asses of themselves in the media in retirement.

14. citizenstrange says: Mar 8, 2011 3:32 PM

When the teenage interns start acting like they don’t even know you’re alive it hurts.

15. pftard says: Mar 8, 2011 3:34 PM

Tiki has washed out as a Journalist and as a husband/father. He’s got nothing else to do and is seeing that he’s far from financially secure. I can’t imagine any team out there is as desperate as Tiki is.

I see the future for Tiki Barber.., and it’s selling shoes at FootLocker.

16. dukemarc says: Mar 8, 2011 3:36 PM

Those alimony and child support payments must really be digging into his wallet.

17. tombrookshire says: Mar 8, 2011 3:37 PM

yaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

18. moochzilla says: Mar 8, 2011 3:55 PM

I guess that broadcasting career didn’t turn out the way he hoped.

When your only talking point about yourself is an SAT score from 25 years ago, forgive us if we lose interest.

Scumbag off the field. Tin man on the field. Stiff on screen.

19. lucky5927 says: Mar 8, 2011 4:39 PM

Ronde reignited the fire alright, when he can still take his family on vacation, and Tiki is struggling to decide which mistress to take to Denny’s.

20. MichaelEdits says: Mar 9, 2011 7:28 AM

What reignited the fire was seeing Michael Strahan get tagged as Regis’s replacement while nobody mentioned Tiki at all, boo hoo.