Von Miller gets the dreaded Vernon Gholston comparison

2011 NFL Scouting Combine - Day 3 Getty Images

Could Vernon Gholston become the new Mike Mamula?

In the past, any Combine workout wonder was inevitably compared to Mamula as a cautionary tale.  Now it’s possible that any deceptively productive, potentially stiff pass rusher could be compared to Gholston.

“[Miller’s] got some Vernon Gholston in him,” former NFL scout Dave Razzano told Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.

Razzano spent two decades as an NFL Scout.  His opinion differs sharply from those who see Miller as one of the safer picks in the draft.

“I’m not a big Von Miller fan,” Razzano said. “In looking at Big-12 tape, he does not have a motor. He doesn’t chase hard. They run at him, and he doesn’t fight off blockers. When he gets sacks, a lot of times he’s not getting blocked. He’s a one-move guy.”

He seemed to win over most skeptics at the Senior Bowl, but clearly some doubters remain.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Von Miller gets the dreaded Vernon Gholston comparison”
  1. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Mar 8, 2011 12:58 PM

I’d rather be the next Vernon Gholston than the next Justin Harrell.

2. hobartbaker says: Mar 8, 2011 1:03 PM

Each year, at the end of February, the Gholst of Vernon appears in Indianapolis to plant the kiss of death on some unsuspecting prospect.

3. blainedionne says: Mar 8, 2011 1:37 PM

“Miller was a fast riser after a huge senior season, but was seen as an inconsistent performer before.”

Only led the nation with 17 sacks AS A JUNIOR. But other than that, totally spot on.

4. cappa662 says: Mar 8, 2011 1:44 PM

Or he can be the next Aaron Curry. Just really overhyped player coming from an overrated conference.

5. ipeefreelyagain says: Mar 8, 2011 1:47 PM

Or the next Dexter Coakley.

6. somisseagle says: Mar 8, 2011 1:49 PM

So he is going to get rich without having to actually do anything?

Where do I sign up?

7. dryzzt23 says: Mar 8, 2011 1:55 PM

I can see Miller’s draft stock dropping b/c scouts, coaches, and GMs will suddenly realize “Oh yeah, he does have some striking similarities to VGhol”

8. hateradeonrocks says: Mar 8, 2011 2:00 PM

is this the same scout for the raiders that said Steve Smith on the NYG couldn’t catch the ball? Now we know why the Raiders are terrible every year. He’s not 6-4 265 and runs a 4.25 so he must be terrible. Gholston isn’t anything like Miller. Not saying Miller is a lock because there is no such thing but sometimes scouts might say something like this…. so they can draft Von Miller.

9. jnbnet says: Mar 8, 2011 2:09 PM

It’s a crapshoot on each and every one of these players. I do hope some teams are scared off…maybe he will slide to the number 17 spot.

10. revisisland says: Mar 8, 2011 2:10 PM

“When he gets sacks, a lot of times he’s not getting blocked. He’s a one-move guy.”

Correction: He can’t be blocked. If you watch the tape the guy bends and dips so low to the ground that offensive tackles can’t even block him which is what every coach tells wants from their pass rusher

11. jackdiesel says: Mar 8, 2011 2:10 PM

Well we now know why Dave Razzano is a former NFL scout.

12. cylondetector says: Mar 8, 2011 2:15 PM

Okay.

Which part?

13. thenewenglandpatriots12 says: Mar 8, 2011 2:22 PM

Damn that dude is being insulted if he’s being compared to Gholston.

14. lucky5927 says: Mar 8, 2011 2:23 PM

Ummm, anyone who watched the Senior Bowl practices knows this kid displayed two very solid pash rush moves and a consistent third move. Also, he was a beast as a junior as well. Gholston recorded an amazing 7.5 sacks as a junior. Von Miller had 17 Sacks. Yes Gholston recorded 14.5 sacks as a senior, but over a 1/4 of them came in one game. Gholston also took many plays off as a senior and struggled against Jake Long. Sorry if I can’t see the comparisons.

15. credds65 says: Mar 8, 2011 2:41 PM

Miller is not Gholston. Gholston was a rush end that Rex Ryan tried to convert to a linebacker which did not work. Miller is smaller and faster and should excel. Like Blainedionne stated, he also lead the nation in sacks his junior year. I guess the genius former scout just skipped over that. Maybe that’s why he is a former NFL Scout .

16. rebeltitan says: Mar 8, 2011 2:54 PM

“[Miller’s] got some Vernon Gholston in him,”

———————————————–

I LOLed when i read this.

17. db3300 says: Mar 8, 2011 3:25 PM

One thing Miller has working against him (in my mind) is that many of us never heard of the guy until the mock drafts started coming out. I didn’t know who he was and I live about an hour from A&M. He’ll still be a top 10-12 pick and it’ll be because too many teams are buying into the hype and want to look like geniuses. Look back a few years and remember that some were saying that Gholston might go #1 based on his Combine workout. He *might* become a good NFL player but it won’t be based on good scouting.

“Ummm, anyone who watched the Senior Bowl practices knows this kid…”

I rest my case.

18. carlgerbschmidt says: Mar 8, 2011 3:26 PM

tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says:
    Mar 8, 2011 12:58 PM
    I’d rather be the next Vernon Gholston than the next Justin Harrell

———

Really? Would you? Really? I see, I guess you don’t like Super Bowl rings, do ya? You’re probably a vikings fan. So, of course you don’t like Super Bowl rings.
    How many SUPER BOWLS have you won?

19. ch19079 says: Mar 8, 2011 3:45 PM

There is no comparison.

Gholston was an average, non 1st round pick till the combine. He did great at the combine and everyone fell in love with numbers on a piece of paper and forgot about the game film.

Von Miller was thaught to be the best OLB in the Draft BEFORE the combine and is combine performane only backed that up.

20. dukemarc says: Mar 8, 2011 3:50 PM

tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Mar 8, 2011 12:58 PM

I’d rather be the next Vernon Gholston than the next Justin Harrell.

—————————————

You would? So instead of being a guy who’s called a bust, despite having chronic injuries that kept him from playing, you’d rather have played a removed all doubt?

21. medtxpack says: Mar 8, 2011 3:53 PM

Millers an Aggie, pass….

22. tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says: Mar 8, 2011 4:00 PM

carlgerbschmidt says:
    Mar 8, 2011 3:26 PM
    tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says:
    Mar 8, 2011 12:58 PM
    I’d rather be the next Vernon Gholston than the next Justin Harrell

———

How many SUPER BOWLS have you won?
    ________________________

We don’t count Super Bowl victories in Minnesota. We have to be content with counting the number of Rookies of the Year we draft. I just like to point out that Lord Ted Thompson isn’t perfect.

23. thefiesty1 says: Mar 8, 2011 4:22 PM

Once an Aggie, always an Aggie. Gig’em thumbs down.

24. awhite46 says: Mar 8, 2011 4:25 PM

When you can get the opinion of former Arizona Cardinals scouts, you gotta take it

25. ninerdynasty says: Mar 8, 2011 4:53 PM

This guy was an AZ cardinal scout.. we all know how awesome they used to be when he was employed with them.. oh wait.. nothing much has changed.

I just hope the cardinals are listening to him still… i wouldn’t mind him slipping down pass them.

26. nvpdmx says: Mar 8, 2011 6:08 PM

carlgerbschmidt says: Mar 8, 2011 3:26 PM

tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says:
    Mar 8, 2011 12:58 PM
    I’d rather be the next Vernon Gholston than the next Justin Harrell

———

How many SUPER BOWLS have you won?

Harrell only played part of 1 game this year to get that SB ring. Harrell has only played in 14 games in his career bc he is injury prone. So don’t sit here and tell us that Justin Harrell is some super star that helped your team win the SB. By the way, I am a Redskins fan, so I have no ties to either of your teams other than giving the packers your SB mvp in the 90s.

27. rayguyreturns says: Mar 8, 2011 7:30 PM

“hateradeonrocks says:
    …is this the same scout for the raiders that said Steve Smith on the NYG couldn’t catch the ball? Now we know why the Raiders are terrible every year.”
    ___________________________________

Another ill informed know nothing comment by the typical band wagon Raider-hater.

Here’s the Bio on Razzano:

“Dave Razzano is an NFL scout and Playmaker Mobile correspondent with more than 22 years of professional scouting experience with the San Francisco 49ers, St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals under NFL coaches including Bill Walsh, George Seifert, Chuck Knox and Dick Vermeil.”

Now, don’t you and your comment sound intelligent?

28. Grulks says: Mar 10, 2011 11:46 AM

tuckercarlsonisthevoiceofreason says:
    Mar 8, 2011 12:58 PM
    I’d rather be the next Vernon Gholston than the next Justin Harrell.

=====
    I’d rather be the next Justin Harrell than the next Justin Bieber

29. rc33 says: Mar 29, 2011 2:23 PM

I clearly don’t understand how Mike Mamula got the rep he’s got. We looked up his numbers and to be honest, I was shocked; 31.5 sacks in 5 seasons. Huh? 31.5? Based on how he was viewed and spoken about, I thought it would be 7, maybe 8 career sacks.

He had some forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, even a defensive TD, from what I recall.

So how or why has he become the embodiment of a busted draft choice?

As a productive player and as a draft selection, Ghoulston is 50 times worse.