Ryan Mallett claims he can run a 4.9 forty, discusses drug rumors

Bobby Petrino, Ryan Mallett

Ryan Mallett ran a 5.37-second 40-yard dash at Tuesday’s Arkansas Pro Day, a time that only Rich Eisen would envy. But he said today that he’s capable of running about half a second faster than that.

“I didn’t get a very good start on my 40 and tweaked my groin a little bit, but I continued to run,” Mallett said on the Dan Patrick Show. “I’ve hit 4.9 before.”

Of course, NFL teams aren’t particularly concerned about Mallett’s straight-line speed. What they’re much more concerned about is whether character questions will derail Mallett’s career. Although it appeared that Mallett stormed off when asked about rumors that he had a drug problem at his press conference at the NFL Scouting Combine, Mallett said he actually stayed at the podium until he was told his time was finished.

“I definitely didn’t leave,” Mallett said. “I answered the last question.”

As for those rumors of a drug problem, Mallett said he passed the drug test at the Combine and “never failed a drug test at Arkansas.” He did not, however, get into whether he has ever had a drug problem, or if he knows how those rumors started.

What we don’t know is whether Mallett has given a more complete answer to NFL teams behind closed doors. All we know is what we can see: He’s a really slow runner, with a really strong arm.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Ryan Mallett claims he can run a 4.9 forty, discusses drug rumors”
  1. BC says: Mar 9, 2011 1:05 PM

I can run a 4.9 forty as well. On a Harley.

2. 305phinphan says: Mar 9, 2011 1:06 PM

This kid has tons of talent and I think his character concerns are being blown out of proportion. If I was a GM I would take Mallet ANYDAY over Cam “Icon” Newton.

If he falls to #15 the Dolphins would be stupid not to draft him.

3. billsfan27 says: Mar 9, 2011 1:09 PM

Drew Bledsoe revisited.

4. oldbyrd says: Mar 9, 2011 1:09 PM

Im 71 and can run a 5.37 forty. Wasn’t their another Ryan…ummm flop. same speed and attitude.

5. shieldsisland37 says: Mar 9, 2011 1:12 PM

Mallet looks like a meathead version of Peyton Manning to me. I would take him as the number one overall qb. He threw 60 tds in two years against sec defenses. You have to love this kids size and arm. Is he a drug using idiot? maybe, but how many nfl players are drug using idiots? lots.

6. baboushka says: Mar 9, 2011 1:16 PM

Prove it! Go run a 4.9 forty and its end of story.

7. zoxitic says: Mar 9, 2011 1:21 PM

Miami didn’t do too bad the last time they drafted a QB with a rumored drug issue.

8. minnesconsin says: Mar 9, 2011 1:22 PM

this guy just seems like he’s made of excuses, and always comes off as defiant and overly defensive. he’d look good in purple. skol mallet.

9. lhaveprettyfeet says: Mar 9, 2011 1:27 PM

Duhhhhh, WINNING . . .

10. kamdaryda says: Mar 9, 2011 1:27 PM

Don’t worry Ryan while everybody is too busy crucifying Cam Newton for his character issues your character issues will quietly go away. Another case of white privilege. Damn crack head!!

11. tonymission says: Mar 9, 2011 1:32 PM

Of course he hasn’t failed a drug test. It’s not like we’re talking weed here; cocaine is out of your system in 48-72 hours max.

12. shaggytoodle says: Mar 9, 2011 1:32 PM

This is going to be a really interesting QB class, can’t wait til the grades come out in 3 years.

Speaking of which PFT if you need lockout material, grade the draft from 3 years ago.

13. chitown12 says: Mar 9, 2011 1:33 PM

What did Manning and Brady run in their 40s?

14. Patriot42 says: Mar 9, 2011 1:37 PM

A lot of fans would condemn a team for picking Mallett but of course would love him if were their teams pick. It just shows you how fickle some these guys are.

15. markdamack says: Mar 9, 2011 1:38 PM

kamdaryda says:
    Mar 9, 2011 1:27 PM

————————————————–

Well look at that, another misinformed person trying to make anything they can about race. Cam Newton’s problems and NCAA violations are well documented with atleast a little proof. There is absolutely ZERO proof of Ryan Mallett ever doing drugs. That’s why. Not race. Stop being so ignorant.

16. qj1984 says: Mar 9, 2011 1:40 PM

Call me crazy but people are blowing this way out of proportion. Why the hell are people hounded this kid about a rumor, something that hasnt been proven. I could see if you had the failed drug tests in hand. Expecting him to admit to using drugs without proof is insane.

17. CKL says: Mar 9, 2011 1:42 PM

Do I blame him for not wanting to address the drug rumors in a presser and saying he will address it with each team privately? No way..I think that’s the right way to handle something of that nature for ANY prospect. That said, I wasn’t fond of the way he implied (in the Combine interview) that the rumors were planted for a reason. Blech.

18. baboushka says: Mar 9, 2011 1:55 PM

@chitown12 says:
    Mar 9, 2011 1:33 PM
    “What did Manning and Brady run in their 40s?”

A world beating 5.5 & 5.6! Didn’t you see that big bruiser DT chase Manning down last year on the 40 yd gallop near the end zone. You time Brady, Manning and Rivers with calendars. Not stopwatches. But it also proves the old adage that the “Best athletes” don’t necessarily make the best QBs (Elway, Rodgers and Steve Young are the exceptions). Both Manning and Brady are as swift as Michael Vick in a 5-10 yard dash. Which is all you need in a pocket.

19. kennyzed88 says: Mar 9, 2011 1:57 PM

Would love to see this kid suit up in Orchard Park. Could be a huge steal if he miraculously falls to the 2nd.

20. shaggytoodle says: Mar 9, 2011 2:02 PM

This is why I wouldn’t want to use a top 20 pick on this guy, something is just too fishy for me.

21. clintonportisheadd says: Mar 9, 2011 2:03 PM

———————–

Thats what Barry Bonds used to always say!!!

22. baboushka says: Mar 9, 2011 2:04 PM

To add to my point on the Manning/Brady times, I also say, a 40 yd dash time is completely useless. Most QBs will never run that far during their entire career. And if they routinely do it, you don’t really have an NFL QB. You have a running back ala the 1930′s who can throw. The key stat/time for a QB is how fast he runs backwards. Meaning How fast does he take to drop back 5-10 yards. Because he also has to process a ton of information during that drop. The Brady’s/Mannings take about 3 seconds to do this, giving themselves 3-5 seconds to read/react.

23. jvillejags says: Mar 9, 2011 2:40 PM

Check his past and see if he knows Matt Jones. If he does then play it safe and forget him.

24. mediasloppy says: Mar 9, 2011 2:41 PM

12th pick of the draft…

25. 44kyle says: Mar 9, 2011 2:51 PM

Brady ran a 5.23. (Google it)
    Peyton surprisingly ran a 4.8

26. hobartbaker says: Mar 9, 2011 2:56 PM

It’s the stuff of legend. Whispers among scouts on the circuit. If you ply them with enough liquor, and you’re lucky, at some point they’ll lean their head over towards you, belch, and say, “You may not believe this but one time, back around 2011 I think it was, I was at a Ryan Mallett workout, and suddenly out of the blue he tightens up his cleats an’ sez, ‘I’ma run the 40 here, guys, get out your watches’…”…

27. gugurich says: Mar 9, 2011 3:06 PM

People always bring up Peyton’s or Brady’s 40 times to show the irrelevance of Mallett’s slow straight line speed. And I agree. But the issue isn’t with his overall speed, it’s with his excruciatingly slow feet inside the pocket when trying to escape pressure. If he ever starts for a full season, he’s going to challenge the all-time sacks mark regardless of how good his line is. He could run a 6.0 40 and it wouldn’t make a difference if he could maneuver around the pocket like Brady and Manning but he doesn’t.

28. granadafan says: Mar 9, 2011 3:13 PM

This statement is further proof Mallet will be a bust. He couldn’t produce when the pressure was on with everyone watching. It would have been better if he had just stated that he’s not the most athletic but is a Damn good pocket passer. Now he’s just full of excuses. His true character is coming out. Jay Cutler anyone?

29. radrntn says: Mar 9, 2011 3:18 PM

yep he sucks…..can only dream and hope he is on the board for us in rd 2

30. orangeflh says: Mar 9, 2011 3:47 PM

Mallet could never be as big a turd as Cutler. It’s just not possible.

31. thefiesty1 says: Mar 9, 2011 3:58 PM

He can’t move fast enough to get out of his own way.

32. ruckinfidiculous says: Mar 9, 2011 4:22 PM

“I’ve hit 4.9 before.”

Downhill in a hurricane.

33. dant10 says: Mar 9, 2011 4:35 PM

@baboushka-I agree with you on QB’s needing to be swift in the pocket, and no disrespect to Manning or Brady, 2 of my favorite QB’s, but you just can’t compare their swiftness to Mike Vick’s. Vick is on another level when it comes to swiftness, there’s no other QB in the league (MAYBE Rodgers) that can do what Vick does in the pocket.

34. gregjennings85 says: Mar 10, 2011 9:50 AM

When a QB’s job entails running the ball out to the WR, shoot me an email, otherwise, I’ll continue stating the following:

Ryan Mallett is the best QB in this draft.

35. mrba4775 says: Mar 13, 2011 3:31 AM

whoever drafts mallett will be bring home several lombardi trophies to the mattle before it’s all said is done. i think this kid will come into the nfl with a chip on his shoulder to prove the naysayers wrong.