NFL’s summary of its final proposal to the players

NFLLogo

[Editor's note:  The NFL has released a summary of the final proposal it made on Friday to the NFLPA.  The full text of the summary appears below.]

1.      We more than split the economic difference between us, increasing our proposed cap for 2011 significantly and accepting the Union’s proposed cap number for 2014 ($161 million per club).

2.      An entry level compensation system based on the Union’s “rookie cap” proposal, rather than the wage scale proposed by the clubs.  Under the NFL proposal, players drafted in rounds 2-7 would be paid the same or more than they are paid today.  Savings from the first round would be reallocated to veteran players and benefits.

3.      A guarantee of up to $1 million of a player’s salary for the contract year after his injury – the first time that the clubs have offered a standard multi-year injury guarantee.

4.      Immediate implementation of changes to promote player health and safety by

a.      Reducing the off-season program by five weeks, reducing OTAs from 14 to 10, and limiting on-field practice time and contact;

b.      Limiting full-contact practices in the preseason and regular season; and

c.       Increasing number of days off for players.

5.      Commit that any change to an 18-game season will be made only by agreement and that the 2011 and 2012 seasons will be played under the current 16-game format.

6.      Owner funding of $82 million in 2011-12 to support additional benefits to former players, which would increase retirement benefits for more than 2000 former players by nearly 60 percent.

7.      Offer current players the opportunity to remain in the player medical plan for life.

8.      Third party arbitration for appeals in the drug and steroid programs.

9.      Improvements in the Mackey plan, disability plan, and degree completion bonus program.

10.  A per-club cash minimum spend of 90 percent of the salary cap over three seasons.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
53 Responses to “NFL’s summary of its final proposal to the players”
  1. hobartbaker says: Mar 11, 2011 7:53 PM

“Mo must go!”
    “Mo must go!”
    “Mo must go!”

2. waitingguilty says: Mar 11, 2011 7:55 PM

Hey De- what did you offer?

We’re waiting.

3. murrman33 says: Mar 11, 2011 7:56 PM

that is all well & good but no mention of how much they want off the top..that is the big sticking point.

4. dolphan343 says: Mar 11, 2011 7:58 PM

Careful. They will now take this to court and say you agreed to this as a base and squeeze your nuts in the vise for more. Wait, im sorry, the former nflpa wouldnt play dirty like that would they?

5. smellmyface says: Mar 11, 2011 7:58 PM

Sounds pretty fair to me but goofball Smith was never going to agree to anything. He wants his ugly face on tv trying to act like hes standing up for the working people for his run at politics.

And this 3.5 ave career is BS. It might be that for a 2nd or 3rd stringer and they arent taking the hits the starters are.

6. descendency says: Mar 11, 2011 7:58 PM

So, what was the part that the union had a problem with?

7. hobartbaker says: Mar 11, 2011 8:00 PM

The owners and the union could not agree on the exact parameters of “obscene wealth”.

8. wryly1 says: Mar 11, 2011 8:00 PM

Matters nada – they were non-binding mediation sessions.

What matters now is the owners, who are the ones asking for concessions, now have two choices. Either negotiate a settlement, or let the Courts decide – as the players are willing to do.

Owners are now being advised by their lawyers they’d be way better off negotiating with the players, than facing the consequences of what the Court is likely to rule.

9. physiodoc2be says: Mar 11, 2011 8:00 PM

Maybe I’m missing something, but that seems like a very fair offer. I think the union will have a tough time saying that it was bargaining in good faith when the NFL seemingly made several concessions for them and seemed to get little in return. That may be because this is the story the league is telling folks, but it doesn’t sound like the NFLPA was there to get a deal done. It makes me think they were trying to break the back of the NFL and use these conditions as the leaping off point for negotiations that take place during litigation. I sincerely hope the owners catch a few legal breaks and stick it to the players. Frankly, it would be interesting to see a few (maybe 15-20) owners decide that they just can’t operate their independent businesses this coming year and just sit the year out. I wonder how many players would like that situation.

10. iknowfootballandyoudont says: Mar 11, 2011 8:01 PM

I’m on the owners side.
    MEmaurice Smith and the players greed is sickening. I hope the league screws them very good, and I wish the fans would then screw both by canceling season tickets.
    But we know that won’t happen cause of all the IDIOTS that pay ridiculous PSL fees. Those nimwits cant cancel season tickets unless they are willing to forfeit their PSL’s.
    Owners even have those fools over a barrel. LMAO!!!!!!!

11. skoobyfl says: Mar 11, 2011 8:02 PM

Ralph Wilson spend 90% on the salary cap, LoL.

12. thegreenviking says: Mar 11, 2011 8:02 PM

Impressive, but we have a way to make sure that’s exactly what was offered?

13. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Mar 11, 2011 8:05 PM

Although I am sort of drunk right now, this offer seems more than fair. What the hell else do the players want? More money? I can’t pay my power and these guys are bitching because they ONLY get 300000 a year minimum. Kiss my lower class ass players and owners. The only enjoyment I get out of my crappy blue collar life is watching the NFL and these guys are taking it away. Oh well I suppose if I get a lot drunker the MLB will gain some appeal.

14. mswravens says: Mar 11, 2011 8:06 PM

Funny – they don’t mention anything about them getting an extra billion in exchange…

15. laxer37 says: Mar 11, 2011 8:07 PM

The over/under is set at 24 hours for how quickly the players cave after missing their first game checks.

I’ll take the under.

16. ipeefreelyagain says: Mar 11, 2011 8:07 PM

I’ve been saying it the whole time, this proves the players are greedy!! There is no reason not to accept. The players are trying to line their pockets with the owners profits. They need to realize they’re not owners, or partners. Accept the deal so fans can watch the game they love.

17. cowboyaggie says: Mar 11, 2011 8:08 PM

Ok so correct me if I’m wrong but the owners are people that have worked hard in their lives and were smart enough to acquire wealth to buy the NFL teams. They are the ones who have made this league this profitable. Now due to the economy and all the expenses that they have their profits have taken a hit and they want a piece of the pie back. Now the players mostly have not even graduated from college yet get a minimum pay of 400K a year, while players with larger roles on teams usually make millions. How much would these players be making in the outside world with no NFL that the owners created. The players are the greedy ones, not even listening to the owners offers.
    Demoron Smith is not a former player, just a wanna be tough guy.

18. sportsjustice says: Mar 11, 2011 8:10 PM

The players should’ve taken the deal. the owners take on all the risk of growing the sport. If that IDIOT De were only willing to accept some of the risk. What a TURD! I want Upshaw and Tagliuabe back.

19. bucfandango says: Mar 11, 2011 8:12 PM

WOW!!! What a great deal. Where do I sign up!

20. steelergold says: Mar 11, 2011 8:12 PM

As a player why in the hell would you turn this down ?

21. discostu570 says: Mar 11, 2011 8:13 PM

I don’t see their proposed figures for the final revenue sharing split in there. Is it possible that the owners aren’t proud of their final offer in that regard?

22. vietnambob2473 says: Mar 11, 2011 8:16 PM

The NFLPA wanted to take this to court all along. I wish now that they hadn’t extended talks by a week, that way we could have already been a week into the litigation process and a week closer to a new deal.

23. 90lbwuss says: Mar 11, 2011 8:18 PM

11. Antonio Cromartie must get a vasectomy.

12. Tom Brady has to keep his hair “above the ears” and can’t resemble any teenage pop star, male or female.

13. No one can wear sandals around Rex Ryan.

14. Brett Favre can only make phone calls on his phone. No texting.

15. Eli Manning is not allowed to look befuddled after he throws an interception into triple coverage.

24. R.H. says: Mar 11, 2011 8:22 PM

And the NFLPA walked away and said no to this?

This will be interesting to observe now.

25. red513 says: Mar 11, 2011 8:26 PM

The owners sure didn’t want to open their books, it appears. The players were winning the PR battle for awhile, but this shifts it to the owners’ side, IMO. I think once Doty ruled against the owners on the TV revenue deal, the union decided they were going to court, no matter what the owners offered.

26. lionsfan14 says: Mar 11, 2011 8:26 PM

Now what doesnt make any sense to me is why the NFL didnt propose this type of deal 17 days ago. Maybe if they did, the two sides would have an agreement by now. I dont know how with this type of proposal the two sides couldnt come to an agreement, unless the NFLPA had no desire for an agreement and wanted to decertify from day one. 17 days of negotation is a long time to come up with NOTHING!

27. biggerballz says: Mar 11, 2011 8:27 PM

Wow what a great deal, these players are greedy and I hope they get what they deserve.

28. bigbeefyd says: Mar 11, 2011 8:27 PM

29. jnbnet says: Mar 11, 2011 8:29 PM

So sad. I worked two jobs so I could afford season tickets. Now, in this economy, work has been slow and I struggle to get by week by week. Now I can’t even afford health insurance…so goodbye season tickets. Some one else will fund your greed. These guys are making more in a year than I will make in my entire life. Guess that’s not enough for them.

30. mymorningstory says: Mar 11, 2011 8:30 PM

But the union wanted it all. – I say give them nothing now.

31. minanten says: Mar 11, 2011 8:40 PM

I AM a union member & I would LOVE to have a deal this sweet! The average Joe just cant comprehend whats going on in this world anymore. It seems that between this and situations like Wisconsin that its “open season” on the middle class in this country!

32. angrycorgi says: Mar 11, 2011 8:41 PM

Wow…explain to me why they turned this deal down, please…161million and a minimum 90% of that?? Holy crap that’s a lot…and I luv the injury payout gaurantee…this is a great deal…I’m in the wrong business, clearly…

33. brave13 says: Mar 11, 2011 8:42 PM

Sounds fair to me.

34. clownburger says: Mar 11, 2011 8:53 PM

The players are to blame. I’m disgusted with them.

I hope the NFL just sets their own rules. IF the players like it they can come back. If not, they can have fun in Canada.

35. jsarge99 says: Mar 11, 2011 8:54 PM

I was neither for or against anyone in this fight, but now it really seems like the owners tried, but the nflpa didn’t. I am now firmly against the players and their “we were happy with the old deal” stance. Without knowing anything more then I do now, it really does seem that all they wanted was a courtroom. Facepalm.

36. bahamallama says: Mar 11, 2011 9:19 PM

To be fair this is just a publi relations spin for the NFL. Without the total deal, not a summary you can’t get an accurate picture of it the deal is fair. It appears fair but did you expect the NFL to summarize their end of the deal?

37. red513 says: Mar 11, 2011 9:43 PM

90lbwuss says: Mar 11, 2011 8:18 PM

11. Antonio Cromartie must get a vasectomy.

13. No one can wear sandals around Rex Ryan.

14. Brett Favre can only make phone calls on his phone. No texting.

***************************************
    Best comment I’ve seen on this whole situation!
    Nice job.

38. bayer2 says: Mar 11, 2011 9:51 PM

I am firmly against the players as well!!! The NFL gave them an above average offer (financial concessions along with 16 game season, increased health benefits, shorter offseason workouts) and the NFLPA balked. They are greedy, selfish people and I am sick of this type of behavior. These players make MILLIONS. I don’t want to hear that some players aren’t MILLIONAIRES because some make only $300,000 per year or whatever the veteran’s minimum is! Put 1/2 that in a 401k per year and you got yourself a million in 5 years or less. I can’t stand the greed of the NFLPA. I am a 49ers fan and am screwed because we have a new coach and new QB. I don’t know if I can watch a team get smoked week in and week out because they haven’t had a chance to practice or even install a new offense. There are at least 8 teams with a new coach and/or new QB and they are all screwed in a shortened offseason! The NFLPA showed their true colors. The fans lose this battle

39. Deb says: Mar 11, 2011 9:51 PM

@jsarge99 …

Haven’t you ever heard that things aren’t always what they seem? If you’ve ever worked for a large corporation, you’d know never never never to assume the big guys are acting in good faith. Never.

40. bigdaddyraven says: Mar 11, 2011 10:07 PM

What is wrong with you guys?? This is a multi-billion dollar business, this was a negoitated contract that both sides agreed to. The NFL broke the CBA, had a agreement to receive $4 billion dollars if there is a lockout, negoitiated so money was taken off the table to be shared with the players. Then said we are losing money, show no proof, and we supposed to take their word for it?? Are you kidding me? You don’t give up a dime without proof, sets a bad precedent. Remember, the players just wanted to play under what was already agreed to, they were not asking for more.

41. joerevs300 says: Mar 11, 2011 10:17 PM

I’m starting to think the financial fallout on the player’s side is going to make things like MC Hammer’s epic financial collapse and Bernie Madoff’s swindling pail in comparison.

Tru TV: Get Operation Repo on standby. Banks, get your foreclosure people on speed dial.

And whole heck, this is going to be a BONANZA for TMZ. Literally.

Yeah, while neither side gets much sympathy for me, I can’t feel sorry for someone making $300,000 a year, being given what is an absolutely fair offer above, and their leadership saying “We’ll see you in court”.

I hope the law sticks it to them, the owners then lock them out, and let’s see if they enjoy getting $150,000 as a minimum and a lot of what you see above stripped away.

When the players start losing their checks and their kids/wives start going ballistic, THEN you’ll see the cracks in the union appear swiftly.

And D.Smith will have wish he just settled in the first place.

At the end of the day, we the fans just took a pie to the face, and well, if we come back and spend millions of dollars after this debacle, shame on us.

42. cappa662 says: Mar 11, 2011 11:08 PM

That deal sucks. 18 games is just insulting.

Make less, more work. If my boss told me that, I would tell him… go F yourself and just fire me, so that I can collect unemployment and look for a new job.

43. Scott says: Mar 11, 2011 11:20 PM

Seriously, what are the players thinking? Who do they think they are? That is what I keep thinking.

I love watching Tom Brady or Adrian Peterson or Cameron Wake every week, but if John Smith and Fred Jones were to take their place tomorrow, I would watch John and Fred with just as much enthusiasm.

Eff the players. I hope they never play again.

44. bird500 says: Mar 11, 2011 11:20 PM

Seriously, how many businesses open their financial books and give a percentage to the employees? (insert “greed reality check” here)

Minimum wage $300,000, maximum wage $1 million.

Owners cannot raise ticket prices beyond an average days’ pay, based on average minimum wage in all of the cities involved.

If the players don’t like it, then don’t play. Use your university degree in the real world.

45. indyeagle says: Mar 11, 2011 11:38 PM

It’s highly unfair to the “smart” teams, but if they are so smart, I guess they will learn their lesson and spend, spend, spend.

46. covercorner says: Mar 12, 2011 12:43 AM

Any new deal should include these terms.

47. bonniebengal says: Mar 12, 2011 6:34 AM

“It is painfully obvious that the players never wanted a deal – they want to take their chances in court. I was on their side when this started, but that point of view has gradually shifted over the past 2 weeks. This morning, listening to Sirius NFL Radio, a player was quoted as saying something to the effect that “we are going to have to tighten our belts – we may have to mow our own lawns this year”. At that point, I bailed. Let these morons try to get by on whatever job their “General Studies” degree gets them. Tell the new draftees that the pay is $75K a year, take it or leave it. In 1987, Ken Karcher was my favorite QB for 3 weeks because he wore a Broncos uniform and the games counted. If I were the owners, I’d write a check to the UFL to help out with their expenses, and then I’d sign every one of their players. Then do the same with the AFL. Fill the last spots with draft picks and guys from the CFL. Let James Harrison et. al. take themselves out of the game and into the job market. Meanwhile, I will be mowing my own lawn.”

I agree. Great post.

48. bonniebengal says: Mar 12, 2011 6:35 AM

I think the players need to come out and say what is wrong with this deal.

49. packermilitia says: Mar 12, 2011 8:37 AM

Both sides need to get real and the owners need to open the books. That should accelerate a settlement. The damn books question is like a cloud hanging over the entire scene. If financial times are so dire as the owners claim, then opening the books shouldn’t be a big deal….unless there is something for the IRS to look at.

50. endzonezombie says: Mar 12, 2011 2:56 PM

“There is no benefit to managing the salary cap because every time the majority of the teams get in cap trouble, they raise the ceiling on it. ”

The salary cap increases largely due to increases in local revenue, not national revenue. As a very simplified explanation, when the large market teams reap a bounty on their local marketing efforts – like private cable broadcasting – it is added to national revenue to result in a total revenue number. When that number is divided by 32 teams, it ( simplified) becomes the cap number. As total revenue increases , so does the cap. The large market teams have no problem spending to the cap, but the smaller market teams get pulled along by the cap even though their local revenue is far less than large market teams. Smaller market teams ‘could’ lose money yet still inherit the same large cap number as the larger teams.

51. endzonezombie says: Mar 12, 2011 3:10 PM

Gawd there are a lot of pro-owner posters on this site. Are they shills for owners’ families? If the NFLPA really wanted to put a stake in the heart of the CBA negotiations, they would have demanded what every other major sports league has: guaranteed contracts. That alone changes the economics of a league completely. The league would have never agreed to it, but most fans would find it difficult to attack the union for attempting to get the security benefit that every other major sports league already has.

52. boomerdt says: Mar 12, 2011 3:54 PM

Anyone ever heard the quote – “if someone offers you a lot of money for the same job you’re currently doing – run away.” There is truth to it….

I have always been on the owners side. They created what the NFL is. If the NFL was poorly managed – we’d have the NBA part 2.

This offer seems to good to be true though. There are a lot of loop holes in each of items listed, which could be why the players balked. Sorta like “save 70% off” in an advertisement.. and the item you save 70% on is D size batteries…… We’re not getting the whole story here. And really I don’t want it. The more this stays in the press the less likely I am to ever pay attention to the NFL again.

53. childressrulz says: Mar 12, 2011 6:01 PM